Will DLC carry to next generation of consoles?

Vulok_AerrVulok_Aerr Unsigned
edited October 2012 in Rock Band
I am wondering if the dlc I am downloading will be usable on the next round of consoles. I am closing in on 700 songs on the Xbox and somebody asked me "What's the plan if they don't carry over?"

All I could think of was, I guess keep playing the old console. I understand this is hard to answer with the new consoles (minus the WIIu) not being exactly forthcoming on information. I am starting to hesitate on dropping for more songs when I might not be able to carry them over in a years time. This may sound disheartening and it is not meant to be, but I really don't want to play an older console if I have the newer one.

I tried to search the forums here as well as Google but found no information. Just wondering if anybody has heard any news on this topic. Thanks!

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I guess it all depends on if those consoles will have backward compatibility. It would be dumb if they didn't.
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited September 2012
    The two instances so far of dlc transfer so far (Xbox>360 and Wii>WiiU) were good. I'd imagine with this generation transitioning more and more to digital that 360 and PS3 would transfer on. Also no one has heard any news because new consoles haven't been announced for Xbox or Playstation.
  • Vulok_AerrVulok_Aerr Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I had hoped all would be ok on the transfer side with the backwards comparability but I had no news to go on. I hadn't heard anything on the WIIu for sure yet, just minor clips with no fine details.
  • ThornDavisThornDavis Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    DLC is the most effective way for Microsoft and Sony to lock people in to buying the next generation of their consoles. Making certain it transfers is going to be high on their list of priorities, because if people have to "start again" then you're encouraging them to consider switching to the competition.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I sure hope so! I have over 1050 tracks for Rock Band now, and loads of people have even more than that!

First of all, especially for MS, they'll have to create a data transfer kit from the 360 to its successor.

The only other possible problem could be licensing. We might even get some tracks that work and some that don't.

Other than that I can't see any real problem.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Until Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo announce what their plans are for online communities and backwards compatibility, the ball is completely out of Harmonix's court.
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    So many moving parts. The different console venders will have different plans for compatibility. DLC is tied to a marketplace, so that would have to migrate transparently. HMX will have to see a way to make money off of it, so that would require a new version of the game, the prodigal RB4. Nothing would make me happier, but I'm not holding my breath on all those pieces falling into place. Enjoy the game as it is. Move on when it's time.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I just read that Nintendo has confirmed that almost all Wii titles will work on the Wii U and that the DLC purchased on a Wii WILL carry over to the U.

For the other two? Until MS and Sony tell us otherwise (and they haven't even announced any new consoles yet), all we can do is speculate and/or hope. But as others have said: they'd be idiots not to figure out how to do it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2012
    A better question will be will their be INSTRUMENT compatibility with the new consoles?

I'd be more worried about last gen controllers not working than DLC transferring (Microsoft has said that your DLC, arcade, movie, etc purchases are tied to your gamertag and will carry over with you from console to console).

But if the controllers or controller scheme, or even the wireless frequency that the console can read is entirely different for next gen? No guarantee they'll work at all.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    NOT_Travis;4889829 said:
    I just read that Nintendo has confirmed that almost all Wii titles will work on the Wii U and that the DLC purchased on a Wii WILL carry over to the U.

Hey, I just read that Nintendo will be giving out a free a ham when you purchase the Wii U and that Miyamoto will personally deliver it to your house. But that's okay, I don't need to post the official source because you believe me right? After all, I just read it!
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    rockman05;4889929 said:
    Hey, I just read that Nintendo will be giving out a free a ham when you purchase the Wii U and that Miyamoto will personally deliver it to your house. But that's okay, I don't need to post the official source because you believe me right? After all, I just read it!

I hope you have a source for that...

because the Wii U DLC transfer is all over the internet
    edited September 2012
    Doesn't specifically say Rock Band songs will get transferred. Sure, you could say that Rock Band DLC is regular DLC but when you view history purchases on the Wii, songs are only described as Rock band DLC and no specification of the song or band name. Simply Rock Band DLC whereas all other DLC has complete info, name, title etc.

So umm, yeah...
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    rockman05;4891190 said:
    Doesn't specifically say Rock Band songs will get transferred. Sure, you could say that Rock Band DLC is regular DLC but when you view history purchases on the Wii, songs are only described as Rock band DLC and no specification of the song or band name. Simply Rock Band DLC whereas all other DLC has complete info, name, title etc.

So umm, yeah...

There is a record on the wii of the songs you have downloaded
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    rockman05;4891190 said:

So umm, yeah...
    No ****. Rock Band songs aren't found on the Wii Shop Channel, which is where the data is pulled from.
  • edited September 2012
    rockman05;4889929 said:

You know, the next time a poster is trying to be helpful by providing you with information but doesn't list any sources, you could also just ask him "Hey, could you please post a link to your source for that" instead of being an ass.
    edited September 2012
    But the latter is more fun.
  • edited September 2012
    rockman05;4891605 said:
    But the latter is more fun.

It will also get you banned if it happens again. Again, don't be an ass.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    but seeing people get banned is also fun!
  • ZoiloCruzZoiloCruz Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Well I've all I got to say is that the wii U will have backward compatible. It's just another wii with more features :/ The only feature that it won't have that it can't play Gamecube games :/ Which is why I'm stuck with this wii -_-
    edited October 2012
    ZoiloCruz;4892698 said:
    Well I've all I got to say is that the wii U will have backward compatible. It's just another wii with more features :/ The only feature that it won't have that it can't play Gamecube games :/ Which is why I'm stuck with this wii -_-
    Another Wii with more features is the best you can do? Should we call the Wii a Gamecube with more features since it plays Gamecube games? Is the Xbox 360 an Xbox with more features?

Isn't that the exact ****ing point of new consoles is more features?
  • ZoiloCruzZoiloCruz Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4892701 said:
    Another Wii with more features is the best you can do? Should we call the Wii a Gamecube with more features since it plays Gamecube games? Is the Xbox 360 an Xbox with more features?

Well yeah? It's upgraded version of the previous systems.
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4892701 said:

Yes and no. Nintendo is pretty much the only company looking to innovate gaming with things like touchscreen on the DS or movement sensing on the Wii. Revolutionary they might not be, but they did help move video game technology forward. I'm sure that if it wasnt for Nintendo we'd still be stuck with consoles competing only for fastest, latest and greatest tech hardware like back in the 90's and early 2000's.

Sadly, the Wii U doesnt look to innovate but instead sum up everything that has made Nintendo popular in the last decade and put it into one console. I serious miss IMHO. I'll probably still be buying one anyways 0_o
    edited October 2012
    rockman05;4893576 said:
    Yes and no. Nintendo is pretty much the only company looking to innovate gaming with things like touchscreen on the DS or movement sensing on the Wii. Revolutionary they might not be, but they did help move video game technology forward. I'm sure that if it wasnt for Nintendo we'd still be stuck with consoles competing only for fastest, latest and greatest tech hardware like back in the 90's and early 2000's.

Sadly, the Wii U doesnt look to innovate but instead sum up everything that has made Nintendo popular in the last decade and put it into one console. I serious miss IMHO. I'll probably still be buying one anyways 0_o

you mean like how xbox innovated online gaming(not the first, ok. but the first to do it well)? the ps2's eyetoy?
    like how nintendo stayed with cartridges where others went to new ways for that?
    removable separate memory units?
    sticks instead of d-pad?
    using the console as a multimedia device?
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4893595 said:
    you mean like how xbox innovated online gaming(not the first, ok. but the first to do it well)?
    no. PC did it first and WAY BETTER even before the xbox360 days.
    the ps2's eyetoy?
    no. Pfft, like that even made a dent in getting gamers interest.
    like how nintendo stayed with cartridges where others went to new ways for that?
    no. 3DS, the latest handheld still uses cartridges.
    removable separate memory units?
    like the ones on the n64?
    sticks instead of d-pad?
    Like n64's analog stick?
    using the console as a multimedia device?
    Like the Gameboy Camera?

I'm talking about innovations like control and not caring so much about hardware specs.
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, and everything you used as a counterpoint is either wrong or was done after someone else.
  • White_PawZWhite_PawZ Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4889873 said:
    A better question will be will their be INSTRUMENT compatibility with the new consoles?

I'd be more worried about last gen controllers not working than DLC transferring (Microsoft has said that your DLC, arcade, movie, etc purchases are tied to your gamertag and will carry over with you from console to console).

But if the controllers or controller scheme, or even the wireless frequency that the console can read is entirely different for next gen? No guarantee they'll work at all.

That is a great point. If the plastic instruments don't work with the next gen, it's all moot anyway, because nobody is going to make plastic guitars for the Xbox 720 or PS4 unless there is a brand new game for that console.

I fully expect DLC to carry over. No reason why it wouldn't.
    edited October 2012
    White_PawZ;4893708 said:
    That is a great point.
    Not really, considering the PS3 uses dongles, and the Xbox...well, it just uses simple wireless. No real reason to change it, is there?
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4893711 said:
    Not really, considering the PS3 uses dongles, and the Xbox...well, it just uses simple wireless. No real reason to change it, is there?

are you saying that the instruments should work on the next gen GNF?
    edited October 2012
    rockman05;4893696 said:
    no. PC did it first and WAY BETTER even before the xbox360 days.
    i thought we were talking about consoles. also define better? xbox had friends lists, in PC you had to find a server and let all your friends join that same server.
    rockman05;4893696 said:

no. Pfft, like that even made a dent in getting gamers interest.
    rockman05;4893696 said:

Like the Gameboy Camera?
    oh.

and yes, people actually bought ps2's for the eyetoy.
    rockman05;4893696 said:

no. 3DS, the latest handheld still uses cartridges.
    read my sentence again.
    rockman05;4893696 said:

like the ones on the n64?
    2 years after the playstation?
    rockman05;4893696 said:

Like n64's analog stick?
    2 years after playstation?
    rockman05;4893696 said:

I'm talking about innovations like control and not caring so much about hardware specs.
    if analog sticks and motion control (eyetoy) aren't considered control then i don't know what is
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited October 2012
    PS2 games on PS3 anyone? Hopefully PS3 games will work on PS4...