Discussion Thread: Harmonix Celebrates 5 Years of Rock Band With HUGE DLC Discounts

Comments

• TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880607 said:
    See! It's not the just forums that can do irrational, entitled, babyish whining.

(and it has 14 likes)
    Because I'm already pretty low on the totem pole, and because you popular kids are picking on him, I just gave Paul and Remi (who spent 14,000 MSP) a like.

They're making me and my ranting look reasonable, though.

I'm just happy most of my recent purchases were *shock* RB3-era stuff.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    Does this mean there's finally going to be other players online with Spinal Tap? Finally I can sing Big Bottom with a group. :p
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    I bought BSSM because I promised HMX. I wish I had waited.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880675 said:
    I agree that a definitive word on the length of the sale would be nice.

And....if one comes along, could someone drop me a PM? I'm out for the day and don't relish slogging through page after page trying to find it. Much obliged =)

I'll be checking throughout the day until I get Borderlands 2 tonight, so I can PM you if you want.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    thatmarkguy;4880661 said:
    I already copypasted the list from the announcement thread into a text document then went through shift-arrowing and deleting the stuff I wasn't interested in (or already had).

If the Spongebob packs actually get sale-priced, I'm down to 10 packs and 28 singles. Spinal Tap, Motley Crue, and Alice In Chains are about to end their long perches on the fence.

I'm going to start with $200 worth of MS points and a six pack of Shiner Octoberfest, and we'll see where it goes from there.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Not buying anything from the sale, as I bought it all the week it came out. And I'm fine with that. I got to play them right away. I think the sale is a good thing. It will raise awareness of Rock Band as a platform, I mean how many other games can say "We are putting on sale 1000 pieces of DLC for your game" after all.

I am sure this is for Blitz players - just got Blitz, want more songs, so lots of songs on sale, yeah they may be missing keys, but that wouldn't be an issue in Blitz the way it is in RB. So new Blitz players get more DLC, which ties them to the platform more, and also creates more positive emotions "I just got this great game, and now lots of stuff I don't have is cheap - Great"

Plus whatever HMX makes off these, with lots of both Blitz and RB3 players getting extra.

I think the sale is fantastic.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 2012
    Great sale HMX and happy for those who will participate in it but due to money reasons, the only song I'm buying this week is "Days Go By" by The Offspring and its pro upgrade.
    edited September 2012
    Lawdog1521;4880678 said:
    Does this mean there's finally going to be other players online with Spinal Tap? Finally I can sing Big Bottom with a group. :p

Yes!

Too bad I'd rather spend $200 on DLC than a $50 Gold subscription!
    edited September 2012
    Juanes, I have no idea what you're singing but I'll be picking you up.

DLC that is... I don't want this to get weird.
    edited September 2012
    grumblevolcano;4880684 said:
    Great sale HMX and happy for those who will participate in it but due to money reasons, the only song I'm buying this week is "Days Go By" by The Offspring and its pro upgrade.

I'll paypal you $1 if I get to pick the song for you to download. Only requirement is visual evidence that you played the song I choose in Blitz afterwards.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Gigantic update on all platforms, includes all "outdated" content, one flat 50% discount, and not a single word to pressure you to "buy now".

This is not a sale, it's a price cut.

I hope it doesn't mean the end of DLC is near, but it could very well mean legacy DLC might disappear from the store. There's got to be some cost involved in keeipng all that data in all three stores when it barely every gets sold anymore.

It may also be an indication that whatever the next thing is for Rock Band, it's dismissing legacy DLC.

Great deal for those who haven't been buying everything they wanted as it came out. I personally don't have a single song to buy in there though.
    edited September 2012
    elfreako;4880691 said:
    Gigantic update on all platforms, includes all "outdated" content, one flat 50% discount, and not a single word to pressure you to "buy now".

I hope it doesn't mean the end of DLC is near, but it could very well mean legacy DLC might disappear from the store. There's got to be some cost involved in keeipng all that data in all three stores when it barely every gets sold anymore.

It may also be an indication that whatever the next thing is for Rock Band, it's dismissing legacy DLC.

Great deal for those who haven't been buying everything they wanted as it came out. I personally don't have a single song to buy in there though.

Nobody told me we were busting out the Jump to Conclusions mat.
  • edited September 2012
    Lots of questions floating around of Twitter and the forums regarding this announcement, so thanks to everyone for hanging tight while we work to respond to all of them. Tons of excitement too!

Here are a few FAQs that I'll add to the main announcement to avoid further confusion:

* Yes, this sale is specifically for DLC released prior to RB3.

* All pre RB3 content should be included in this sale, with the exception of $0.99 singles and packs comprised of those $0.99 singles. Some of these songs were included in the initial list in error and we'll pull those before the sale goes live tomorrow.

* Free songs are not included in this sale because they're supposed to be free. You can't get any cheaper than free. If they're not free in your region it's either an issue we're working through with 1st party or a pricing issue we're unable to resolve on account of 1st party pricing policies.

* Albums are not $0.99. Album pricing should be accurately reflected in the PDF and they were listed as $0.99 singles in error. They are not singles and are thus not priced as singles.

* Prices are dropped for Hier Komt Alex and Rock N Roll Star but they are currently only playable in RB1 and RB2. This price drop won't change functionality for any songs not currently playable in RB3 or Blitz. I know the headline calls out compatibility with RB3 and Blitz, but these 2 songs are the exception and we'll either remove them from the list or make a notation.
    samjjones;4880647 said:
    Also, thanks hmxhenry for posting the .pdf of all of the applicable songs. I now have bathroom-at-work reading material for the rest of this week. I'll be circling with a pen like crazy.

It's a long ass list. We love it too. In fact, we love it so much we're hosting a special livestream tomorrow where we'll be reading off the whole thing to see how long it takes. SPECIAL EVENT!
    M_Robbins5;4880667 said:
    I think someone from Harmonix should come in and clarify this. The announcement says this week, but apparently Aaron has implied otherwise via twitter.

The "this week" in the announcement means it's kicking off this week, not that it will only run for the duration of the week. The only thing I've said on Twitter is that the sale will run "while supplies last".
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    Awesome news! As a completionist, there's nothing here for me. However, I know that there will be a huge spike in DLC sales for most of the rest of us, and that's never a bad thing. If nothing else, I'll have more songs to choose from when playing online.
    edited September 2012
    elfreako;4880691 said:

Or Harmonix has gained a new fanbase with Blitz and wants to make the amount of content less overwhelming by reducing the cost of a good portion of DLC.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    elfreako;4880691 said:

Harmonix holds a one-week sale on over a thousand DLC tracks...and people still find something to make noise about.

Good God.
    edited September 2012
    samjjones;4880688 said:
    I'll paypal you $1 if I get to pick the song for you to download. Only requirement is visual evidence that you played the song I choose in Blitz afterwards.

I'm fine, I have 935MSP so I'm just being careful in case lets say next week is a The Killers 4 pack. It sure would be disappointing getting the Smash Mouth songs and some backlog half price songs for that to happen. Feel free to suggest songs anyway.
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4880695 said:

The "this week" in the announcement means it's kicking off this week, not that it will only run for the duration of the week. The only thing I've said on Twitter is that the sale will run "while supplies last".

So the sale is not just this week then? I just want to clarify
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, jumping to conclusions...

You need to work on your reading skills.

And that joke is old.
  • edited September 2012
    elfreako;4880691 said:

You should maybe re read your signature.
    M_Robbins5;4880703 said:
    So the sale is not just this week then? I just want to clarify

The "this week" in the announcement means it's kicking off this week, not that it will only run for the duration of the week.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4880695 said:

That does kind of sound like they're gonna get pulled from the store and you're cutting the price until that happens. I hope I'm just reading too much into this.
    edited September 2012
    While it might have meant nothing, "while supplies last" sure sounds like I'm not so far off. One last push before taking it down?
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    Is there a date that this will end, please respond with a yes or no answer, if yes, please elaborate.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    elfreako;4880709 said:
    While it might have meant nothing, "while supplies last" sure sounds like I'm not so far off. One last push before taking it down?
    "Supplies" of DLC don't run out. And if HMX was going to delist their songs it wouldn't come suddenly in the night when nobody was looking.
    edited September 2012
    It coincides with the start of football season so my guess is the sale is because Henry owes his bookie.

Fat Tony don't take IOU's.
    edited September 2012
    Thinking about it, maybe it's EA causing problems again like how the iOS games aren't downloadable and the DLC is gone.
    edited September 2012
    Tykki-Teme;4880707 said:
    That does kind of sound like they're gonna get pulled from the store and you're cutting the price until that happens. I hope I'm just reading too much into this.

Bah taking it off the servers wouldn't be a big deal really. This is old stuff, the vast majority of people who wanted it bought it ages ago.

What it implies for the future though we can only speculate. Perhaps they're making room for something big, although I think it's more likely they've realized there's not much more juice to squeeze out of them and they're just trying to cut down costs and maintenance.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited September 2012
    I have about 6,000 MSP already waiting for tomorrow. Tomorrow night, I will be buying more.

Considering I've only been on the Xbox since last Christmas, I have four years of DLC to catch up on in a week.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Are some songs licensed for a fixed number of downloads? Wow, I really doubt it. Probably just a way to make sure people don't dilly-dally. Or a CYA move if they start selling way too many? But really, how could they sell "too much" legacy DLC? It's all pure-profit at this point, no? With a limited useful shelf life (meaning, it'll be far less tempting for people to buy these tracks when the next generation consoles come out in a year or so, even if they are able to be transferred)?

The way I read it?
    1. Release Blitz
    2. Watch legacy DLC sales spike for a few weeks
    3. Cut prices (without promising to keep them that low for any specific amount of time) and watch DLC sales spike again
    4. Watch DLC sales go way down in a year when the new consoles come out.
    5. Profit!

They have to cut prices at SOME point, I would have figured that would have been 6 months before the next generation of consoles are released. But I guess that would be too late?

If they were going to be pulled from the store forever (and why would it suddenly have become "too expensive to store it there?" - I don't buy that), why wouldn't Harmonix tell us about a month before that happened? Giving us all one last chance to buy legacy tracks (tracks I fully expect to play for many years past the point when the new consoles come out, whether or not they transfer over)?

I can't see that happening.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4880671 said:
    I think HMX just stole TAG's thunder.
    Yep.

I knew I should have copyrighted the half off, Blitz sale :P