Discussion Thread: Harmonix Celebrates 5 Years of Rock Band With HUGE DLC Discounts

thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
edited October 2012 in Rock Band
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231797

Didn't see a discussion thread for this (just a no-replies-allowed announcement thread). Which makes me think I'm missing something.

Comments

• StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I guess this pretty much confirms there will never be more RB3 versions. The sale and fantastic prices will only turn into regret if that were the case. Especially the larger packs at the top. Still... good sale.
  • daxx1970daxx1970 110% Awesome
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880552 said:
    Exciting! There's been some stuff I've been itching to pick up. Glad I held off!

This^
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    All the free tracks are now half price! Still Alive, Charlene... shoulda waited for the sale!

...they really should either remove or put a warning on Hier Kommt Alex and Rock n Roll Star.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited September 2012
    Oh come on! I just bought a few of these this morning!

I'll definitely be buying a crapload of songs over the next week though. This is absolutely incredible, and will definitely help with the repurchasing I have to do.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Hmm, the announcement lists "Headphones On," "Am I Crazy," "Dreaming of Love," "Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)," "Still Alive," and "Promised Land" as being discounted. So....they're gonna pay us to download them? :p
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited September 2012
    Well, they are in the $.99 section of the PDF so I guess you have to pay for them now.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    crash13;4880584 said:
    Well, they are in the $.99 section of the PDF so I guess you have to pay for them now.

More accurately, I think they just grabbed a list of everything released pre-RB3 and stuck it there. You can see there's some albums listed in the $.99 section as well.
    edited September 2012
    Note that (in the linked thread) most of the albums are listed among the singles... and the alphabetization gets a little wonky (causing the REM songs and the Spongebob songs to not be grouped together).
  • marquisitemarquisite Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    Probably covering for the fact that not all the "free" tracks are always free in some regions (e.g. PS3 EU)
  • A New Pyro FoolA New Pyro Fool Forum Comedian
    edited September 2012
    Uh, so there are albums that can be picked up for a dollar?

If so, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY HMX.
    edited September 2012
    "Immediately Compatible with Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz" shouldn't be in the PDF header if "Rock n Roll Star" and "Hier Kommt Alex" are in the PDF content.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited September 2012
    GH had DLC sales when they ended. Does this mean RB is ending DLC too?
    edited September 2012
    Facebook said:
    Paul Palkowski So...the people that have supported Rockband all this time, by downloading the content at the full price, gets screwed...wow...way to go...Perhaps you should offer even something BETTER for those of us that download on a consistent basis
    See! It's not the just forums that can do irrational, entitled, babyish whining.

(and it has 14 likes)
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880607 said:
    See! It's not the just forums that can do irrational, entitled, babyish whining.

(and it has 14 likes)

How DARE Harmonix do a sale!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    StackOverflow0x;4880563 said:
    I guess this pretty much confirms there will never be more RB3 versions. The sale and fantastic prices will only turn into regret if that were the case. Especially the larger packs at the top. Still... good sale.

Or maybe this means that RB3 versions ARE coming soon. Didn't they put a few packs on sale just before RB3 came out, for packs like Queen and Bon Jovi that then got updated?

I don't actually believe that RB3 versions are coming back, not ever, but I also didn't think that we would ever see song discounts (especially on PS3) ever again. So: "maybe" ...

I've bought a lot of legacy songs in the past two weeks, some of them cherry-picked from these packs. Am I mad? Nope! On the contrary, I'm thrilled to see a sale. I might even buy a few whole packs now, the ones where I "sort of" like a bunch of the tracks, but not enough to buy them at only a small pack discount. I can get the whole pack now, and it'll still be cheaper than if I had bought the whole pack last week, even though I'll have double-bought a few tracks. And when RB3 versions come out for some of them, in a few months? Well, guess what, I'll be buying some of them again (the ones that clearly benefit from keys / harmonies), and you won't hear anything but HOORAY out of me.

I understand that DLC goes on sale, without warning ... rarely, but it happens. There's always a risk, in all of life, that what you bought will get cheaper tomorrow. What it really means is that I can buy even more stuff now. And new stuff comes out all the time for every other franchise, and the new stuff is celebrated by the fans of every other franchise. And by many of the fans of THIS franchise too ... with a few very loud exceptions.

Can someone re-post that article about why the customer isn't always right, and how you'll go broke if you change your business model every time someone cries foul?
    edited September 2012
    And there's also someone claiming he spent 14,000 MSP on DLC yesterday. Uhh....typo maybe? :p
    edited September 2012
    You know what you get for buying the legacy DLC back when it came out, at full price? You got to play it, for years, when those who didn't buy it ... didn't. I feel pretty sure that the people complaining on Facebook [which is, uh, what people on Facebook do] didn't just buy 25 legacy tracks in the past two weeks. If anyone should be complaining, it should be me. And I'm not complaining. On the contrary, I'm thrilled!

And I totally got to play those tracks 3-14 days earlier than the cheapskates who buy tomorrow. HA HA!
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880581 said:
    Hmm, the announcement lists "Headphones On," "Am I Crazy," "Dreaming of Love," "Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)," "Still Alive," and "Promised Land" as being discounted. So....they're gonna pay us to download them? :p

I hope they finally come to Wii if that's the case. Discounted from not even there, to there at regular price. 2 more discounts and Wii will be in the same boat as the other 2 consoles :p
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    I don't think words could properly express the amount of gratitude I have for this movement...

so I'm not even going to try. Instead, you can just have my Wii U money.
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880613 said:
    And there's also someone claiming he spent 14,000 MSP on DLC yesterday. Uhh....typo maybe? :p

There's guaranteed to be a few people that have done that in the past week or month. And yeah, that sucks. Just like the people that bought iPads the week before iPad 2 was announced, or iPhone 4S the week before iPhone 5 was announced, or ...

And I'm automatically dismissing someone claiming that as an attention-seeking troll (even though it just might be true).
    edited September 2012
    I hope the Spongebob packs actually go on sale. The post says the packs will be on sale but the PDF doesn't list them. It just lists the singles in the 99c section, which is their normal price.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Solid. I won the bet. I'll send you my Paypal info shortly (you know who you are!)

Now if only Amazon would put MS Points cards on sale. I'd probably knock off $1K worth of stuff alone with this sale :)
    edited September 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4880621 said:
    There's guaranteed to be a few people that have done that in the past week or month. And yeah, that sucks. Just like the people that bought iPads the week before iPad 2 was announced, or iPhone 4S the week before iPhone 5 was announced, or ...

Ah, I was one decimal place off in my head. I thought it was over two thousand dollars, but it's actually two hundred. (Right? Freaking MS, use real money, people! :p ) That's not so farfetched.
  • dragon114dragon114 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    i want to get both greenday packs to finish of the greenday songs but if only had 80 extra ms points.
    edited September 2012
    Press release does say "this week", btw, so this would appear to indicate a one-week only sale.
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4880607 said:

(and it has 14 likes)
    Heh heh, his initials are "P.P".
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    Steps to fix discontent of buying DLC before sale:

1. Bend over.

2. Remove head from butt.

I personally will be picking up several of the rare songs I've been skipping over. This sale is great.
  • jeronemitchelljeronemitchell Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Lawdog1521;4880638 said:
    Steps to fix discontent of buying DLC before sale:

1. Bend over.

2. Remove head from butt.

You, sir (or ma'am) win five interwebz. I wholeheartedly co-sign.
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I just bought Ten and Alice In Chains 01 for RB World goals. Now I feel sad.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    M_Robbins5;4880642 said:
    I just bought Ten and Alice In Chains 01 for RB World goals. Now I feel sad.

Think of puppies licking your toes.