Freezing issue in RB Blitz (tied to # of songs played?)

PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
edited November 2012 in Peer To Peer Support Forum
I've played 1,020 songs without a single freeze till yesterday evening, and now all of a sudden Blitz freezes every single time I play a song at the result screen. It has become completely unplayable.

Happened to me to previously unplayed songs & already played songs like Song of the Century & Death on Two Legs.

I use a X360 glossy slim 250gb and I use 0 customs, everything was legitimately purchased.

Comments

• VampIncVampInc Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I'm having the same issue on the PS3. I have played Blitz since the day after it was released. I have uninstalled the game 3 times, rebuild the database, restored the file system, formatted my HDD which I had to download and install over 1600 items. I was first on the PS3 leader board for about a week. I just don't understand why it started doing this on 9-22-12.
    I have tried other games even RB3 works, Uno works, Netflix works. I submitted a support ticket last night to HMX.
    I agree with Pankrazzo, I have given HMX WAY to much money for them not to try and fix this. This is a serious issue and it does make the game unplayable......
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Do you know how many songs you've played? (from the Rock Band World stats)

It's just very suspicious to me that I haven't had a single crash till song #1,020, and then crash after crash afterwards. I assume the game can't handle more saved scores without crashing.
    edited September 2012
    Pankrazzo, You may be onto something... It shows I have played 1,023 songs
    edited September 2012
    The more folks hitting that song count, the wider the bug is going to spread. Hope they won't take too long for a patch :/
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I could not agree more. I'm still frustrated about this whole thing, but I have some relief now knowing that it seems like we have figured out something we both have in common. I updated my support ticket with this information, so hopefully they will take my advice and start looking at that song count number.
    Thank you Pankrazzo for helping.
    edited September 2012
    You're welcome, hope you won't lose your #1 because of this like I did on the 360.
    edited September 2012
    I lost it the first day my friend. I've been able to hold onto 3rd since though. But that won't last long.
    I updated my ticket again, because I disabled my network and played a song on Blitz that had crashed be on the network. Without surprise the game worked perfectly without any freeze, micro-bump, anything. It has something to do with updating to the servers that is locking us up.
    edited September 2012
    I just logged into my brothers account on MY system. I loaded Blitz and played one song. Now up until this point in time he only has played 590 songs. Our theory was correct, The game did NOT freeze or lock-up. Everything worked just like it should.
    It is in the amount of songs played....
  • edited September 2012
    Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in to let you know we're looking into this. Due to the high volume of posts on the forums every day, we're not usually able to provide real time support here. The support portal that Magnet linked to is definitely the best place to go for the quickest response and it sounds like at least 2 of you have already submitted tickets. We'll continue to follow up in those tickets, but I'll post here as well in case any other users experiencing similar problems stumble in.

If the 3 posters in this thread (Pankrazzi, Vampinc and Skippy Deluxe) could provide us with the following info, we'll pass it along to our QA team to look into. Please provide the following:

1) Console (360 or PS3)
    2) Region (US, EU, AUS, etc)
    3) What mode you were in when you experienced the crash? (Quickplay, Score War, Trainer, etc)
    4) Were you online when you experienced the crash?
    5) RB World Profile info (number of songs played, career score, number of coins, cred total, etc)

For 5, it may be easiest if you could link to a screen capture of your RB World Profile page. It may seem like there are similarities at first glance, but it never hurts for us to have more info so our QA folks can look at the big picture. We'll update when we get more info.
    edited September 2012
    1) PS3
    2) US
    3) Blitz play, I've tried random song, I've tried a song I have not played, I have played songs that I have played already. It ONLY happens when I am online and only on my account. After I play a song, before the first screen is fully loaded it crashes. Offline it works perfectly, and Logging into my brothers account on My PS3 playing a song online it works perfectly. But he has only played 590 songs to date.
    4) Yes online is the only place it crashes, read above.
    5) Profile Name VampInc
    Songs played 1,023
    Career score 334,793,272
    Gold stars 618
    Total stars 5,714
    Blitz Cred 142,030
    Blitz Coins 580,193
    Score wars 29 won, 5 lost
    Best song performance Say

I have uninstalled the game 3 times and reinstalled.
    I have restored the file system on my PS3
    I have rebuilt the database 3 times.
    I have formatted my HDD.
    I can play offline without a crash or freeze.
    I can play under my brothers account without a crash or freeze on my system, but he only has 590 songs played.
    Each song that I play online locks my entire system up upon loading the first score screen.
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the info Aaron.

1) 360
    2) EU
    3) Always quickplay
    4) Yes, always.
    5) https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304467_360806980671297_85771362_n.jpg (started to crash at #1,020, not #1,022)
  • GreatPunkGreatPunk Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    1) PS3
    2) US
    3) Tried them all (offline mode is only way it works)
    4) Profile Name GreatPunk
    Songs played 1,033 (I would guess around the 1020 mark .. I was hoping it would fix itself also i tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Career score 249,530,365
    Gold stars 275
    Total stars 5,201
    Blitz Cred 98,065
    Blitz Coins 348,188
    Score wars 13 won, 9 lost
    Best song performance Best I Never Had
  • edited September 2012
    Thanks all, I've passed this along for testing.

For ease of tracking communication, please keep all reports either to this thread or to your support tickets. Bumping on social channels like Facebook and Twitter will only make it more difficult to parse how many users are affected, who is talking to who, etc.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    VampInc;4888659 said:
    I lost it the first day my friend. I've been able to hold onto 3rd since though. But that won't last long.
    Not to sound too defensive as one of the people who took your top spot, but we're all limited by this issue. I've "only" played 954 songs but I'm going to have to stop soon because of this. But I know that both of us have already played the high-value songs (including those pinball exploit keys songs, LOL), so it's not like I have an unfair advantage or anything just because I haven't run into this yet. If I'd been able to get to over 1,000 songs by now my score would be significantly higher even than it is now.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Pankrazzo;4888639 said:
    You're welcome, hope you won't lose your #1 because of this like I did on the 360.

I was wondering why your score stopped updating. I'm #3 (last I checked a couple days ago) with 928 songs played. I'm scared to continue now. :(
    edited September 2012
    pmpboarder;4889500 said:
    I was wondering why your score stopped updating. I'm #3 (last I checked a couple days ago) with 928 songs played. I'm scared to continue now. :(

Me, too. This is really depressing...I was really looking forward to finishing up my songs and then buying a ton more in the big sale. But I guess we should count our lucky stars that we found out about this before getting bit with it ourselves. The offline mode is pretty much completely useless, since Blitz without powerups is no longer Blitz. It's more like a dumbed-down version of RB Unplugged with completely borked star cutoffs.

I guess the only way you can play the real game at all is to create a whole new account, but then your scores wouldn't apply to your real one. What a nightmare. I desperately hope they fix this soon; this is even worse than the PS3 RB3 crash bug, because at least you could still play that game offline.
    edited September 2012
    I was thinking about this, and another question that might be relevant is whether there's anyone out there who has played significantly more than 1,000 (or 1,020) songs and has not encountered this issue? Obviously nobody in their right mind will want to intentionally try this, but if anyone has accidentally gone past that point and hasn't had a problem, that could shed some light on whether this is an inevitability.

I know I'm at around 964 right now, and I'm on the top of the PS3 leaderboard. The guy right behind me is on my friends list so I'll ask him in a message. Vampinc is 3rd and he obviously has the issue, but MaximusDM is 4th and he almost certainly hasn't gotten to 1000 yet, because he's super good so if he had played anywhere near 1000 he'd be way ahead of me right now.

There probably can't be many people who have played 1000 yet, but I suppose it's possible if someone isn't as skilled at the game that their scores could be low enough that they wouldn't necessarily show up high on the career leaderboard. You'd think Harmonix should have easy access to this information themselves, of course.
    edited September 2012
    I wish I would of known this was an issue honestly, I played for about a week and a half only using one or most of the time 2 power-ups. So yea my score is low in comparison, I played like that until I had enough coins to not worry about running out. Then they changed the coin system, lol Yea well it happens.
    But honestly I have not heard anything back yet about this issue. HMX says they have people in the office who have played over 1200 songs without a problem. But I pointed out to them that if they are on the same network as the RBW servers are then that is possible. Just people outside of there network could have the issue. I could be wrong, but I honestly think that until this gets to be a BIG problem they are not going to put more than one or two people on it. So far only a handful of people are affected by this problem.
    I'm agree with you Epsilon, the offline mode is pointless... Yes I could play that, but what is the point??? With no power-ups it's almost impossible to GS the songs. A few can be, true but the harder songs are almost impossible to 5*.
    I have thought about creating another account just so I could play... I may end up having to do this depending on how long it takes HMX to address this issue and come out with a patch. I just really don't feel like starting over again, lol
    edited September 2012
    VampInc;4889656 said:
    I wish I would of known this was an issue honestly, I played for about a week and a half only using one or most of the time 2 power-ups. So yea my score is low in comparison, I played like that until I had enough coins to not worry about running out. Then they changed the coin system, lol Yea well it happens.
    But honestly I have not heard anything back yet about this issue. HMX says they have people in the office who have played over 1200 songs without a problem. But I pointed out to them that if they are on the same network as the RBW servers are then that is possible. Just people outside of there network could have the issue. I could be wrong, but I honestly think that until this gets to be a BIG problem they are not going to put more than one or two people on it. So far only a handful of people are affected by this problem.
    I'm agree with you Epsilon, the offline mode is pointless... Yes I could play that, but what is the point??? With no power-ups it's almost impossible to GS the songs. A few can be, true but the harder songs are almost impossible to 5*.
    I have thought about creating another account just so I could play... I may end up having to do this depending on how long it takes HMX to address this issue and come out with a patch. I just really don't feel like starting over again, lol
    You would think that they would have the ability to at least "simulate" playing as you in a test environment. They obviously wouldn't have your actual PSN login (you wouldn't think, at least), but as far as the interactions with their servers and the game are concerned they should be able to duplicate it. If they have done this and can't duplicate the problem, then it probably is something about connecting from outside the network (which again they should be able to facilitate that themselves on a test machine at a residence or something.)

I'm really starting to get scared about this. I love this game WAY more than I anticipated I would, and the thought that I will effectively have to give it up bums me out to no end. I desperately hope this doesn't turn out like the PS3 crash bug in RB3, which was never found and fixed, but like I said, at least I can still play RB3 offline. You can't play Blitz offline in any meaningful fashion.
    edited September 2012
    I'm really starting to get scared about this. I love this game WAY more than I anticipated I would, and the thought that I will effectively have to give it up bums me out to no end. I desperately hope this doesn't turn out like the PS3 crash bug in RB3, which was never found and fixed, but like I said, at least I can still play RB3 offline. You can't play Blitz offline in any meaningful fashion.

I feel the same, I did not honestly think I would get into this game. But I am, I am hooked and it really stinks that I can't play.
    edited September 2012
    Same here guys, not being able to play a brand new game of my fav franchise for two weeks blows really hard.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    is it 1020x played a song? or 1020 different songs?
    if so, i guess people with less than that can play as long as they want...
    unfortunately i have 2600 :P
    we need a filter like rockband 3, that way i would only play 5lighter songs until it is fixed and would not have to be scared of that happening to me.

So, how is the bug happening exactly? 1020 different songs or played at least 1020 times.
    edited September 2012
    1020 unique songs, how many plays they have doesn't matter. You can check your current song total in the Rock Band World app.
    edited September 2012
    So I exchanged some messages with the guy who is currently right behind me on the PS3 career leaderboard, and it turns out that I warned him about this just a little too late, because he said he started getting this problem while playing his RB1 songs yesterday. I pressed him for specifics, and he said it crashed immediately after playing the song with both Dani California and Train Kept-A-Rollin'. He seemed to think it was some temporary thing, so he just stopped trying for a while, but he tried another RB1 song, it crashed, and then tried another random DLC song and it also crashed.

The interesting thing with him is that he checked his RBW stats and he says that it's reported that he's played 1146 songs. So it appears that this issue doesn't necessarily kick in hard and fast at 1020, but rather it just seems like after a certain point something can go haywire on the server side and that person is just screwed after that. It definitely appears that it would be wise to stay as far from 1020 as possible until something hopefully can be done about this. Who's to say that it can't happen even sooner than that? But it does possibly explain how Harmonix claims to have people who have played over 1200 songs without problems, because it's possible that whatever causes this just hasn't happened to them yet. If someone can get into the 1140's before getting the problem, I suppose it's also possible in theory to get into the 1200's or possibly beyond. But it surely doesn't seem like it's worth the risk at this point, considering that the penalty for hitting the bug is essentially Rock Band Blitz "death."

TL/DR version: It seems as though this crash-on-every-song bug can happen anytime roughly after 1,000 songs, but I just got confirmation from another player that he got up to over 1,140 songs before he got the bug. But it seems likely that eventually everyone will get it at some point, since it hardly seems coincidental that the very few users who have passed 1,000 songs played all seem to have gotten this bug at some point or another.
  • edited September 2012
    Epsilon82;4889647 said:
    There probably can't be many people who have played 1000 yet, but I suppose it's possible if someone isn't as skilled at the game that their scores could be low enough that they wouldn't necessarily show up high on the career leaderboard. You'd think Harmonix should have easy access to this information themselves, of course.
    We do have access to this information and we confirmed last night that there should only be 6 people who have currently played over 1,000 songs in Rock Band Blitz. Obviously there will be more people approaching that number over time, and we are looking into temporary work arounds and permanent fixes.

The initial thought is that this issue is tied to the size of your save data file, the entirety of all your activity, rather than the specific number of songs played. We'll continue to collect info from this thread, and thanks go out to the posters that have provided us with detailed info.

Once again, I'll ask folks to keep conversation to this thread so we can get an accurate handle on exactly how many users are affected, what their info is, how we have already talked to, etc. Posts in other threads, or repeated pings to the RB Twitter or Facebook accounts will only make it more difficult for us to keep all the info localized. Thanks for your understanding.
  • ice1975manice1975man Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I tried setting up an account to submit a ticket but once I did it wouldn't let me sign in, My problem is with Rockband 3 and Blitz on the PS3. Every time i try and go into the store it kicks me out to the main menu. I have checked with friends and they are all having the same problem.
  • simao76simao76 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I don't know if I should continue to play or stop at around 1000 songs.
    What do you guys think?

I'm tempted to find how many songs I can play before it starts freezing.

I've got 713 songs played (on PS3) so far, I'll need about a week to reach the 1000 songs, hopefully, by then, the problem is solved.
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4890483 said:
    The initial thought is that this issue is tied to the size of your save data file, the entirety of all your activity, rather than the specific number of songs played. We'll continue to collect info from this thread, and thanks go out to the posters that have provided us with detailed info.

Do you want us to post the size of our library file?
  • edited September 2012
    ice1975man;4890491 said:
    I tried setting up an account to submit a ticket but once I did it wouldn't let me sign in, My problem is with Rockband 3 and Blitz on the PS3. Every time i try and go into the store it kicks me out to the main menu. I have checked with friends and they are all having the same problem.
    This is an unrelated issue and should now be fixed. We've restarted the PS3 store servers and they should be back up and running by the end of the day for everyone.
    Pankrazzo;4890538 said:
    Do you want us to post the size of our library file?

Not just yet, but I'll bump with requests from QA if they have specific questions. Thanks.
    edited September 2012
    hmxhenry;4890483 said:
    We do have access to this information and we confirmed last night that there should only be 6 people who have currently played over 1,000 songs in Rock Band Blitz. Obviously there will be more people approaching that number over time, and we are looking into temporary work arounds and permanent fixes.

Once again, I'll ask folks to keep conversation to this thread so we can get an accurate handle on exactly how many users are affected, what their info is, how we have already talked to, etc. Posts in other threads, or repeated pings to the RB Twitter or Facebook accounts will only make it more difficult for us to keep all the info localized. Thanks for your understanding.
    Thanks for the additional information; it really helps to know that this is being taken seriously.

When you say "save data file," are you referring to the Rock Band and Rock Band 3 game data files (on PS3, at least?) Or are you talking about the "save data file" as it relates to the Rock Central server's file for a player? Because as far as I can tell, on the PS3 at least, there is literally no local save data file for Rock Band Blitz. Evidently even the A/V settings are pulled from the server (unless there's something hidden or some trickery with the cache.)

As for the "entirety of activity", I was thinking about that myself last night. I was planning on playing it safe and keeping below 1,000 songs by just replaying songs I'd already played, but I began to wonder the same thing: what if the total songs played is just a red herring and it could actually just be caused by higher aggregate record keeping in general (meaning repeated updates to the general leaderboards, etc.)? In that case, the high number of total songs played would just be a natural byproduct of simply playing a lot of the game. Especially since the #2 guy on the PS3 career leaderboard (aSockMonster) who I talked to last night had gotten all the way up to 1146, so it hardly seems that it's a hard-and-fast "play this many unique songs and you're ****ed" issue.

As someone on the verge of this myself, I want to do whatever I can to help as a "guinea pig" here. I'm currently at 980 songs played. Would it be helpful if I just played songs I've already played for the time being to see if I still end up getting the bug? I have to assume that I'm pretty high on the list of "people who have played the most Blitz," so to speak. Everyone else who has gotten this issue seems to have been getting it while blasting through new unique songs, so it seems like if I could duplicate the problem by NOT doing so, that could at least eliminate the "total songs played" as the underlying cause.

I actually do software tech support myself for a living, so I understand how frustrating and difficult this can be on your end. So if there's a particular use case you think would be helpful for me to employ, I'd be happy to oblige.