PS3 Downloadable Game for Rock Band 3?

sinobeetlesinobeetle Opening Act
edited December 2013 in Rock Band
Are there plans for a downloadable version of RB3 for PS3? I see there is one for the XBox.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Clearly not, or you would have been able to find discussion of said plans.
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4887680 said:
    Clearly not, or you would have been able to find discussion of said plans.

I don't remember there being discussions of the Games-on-Demand 360 version before it was officially announced.

To the OP, more than likely, there isn't. 360 has always been Rock Band's lead platform (less buggy, RBN), so it made sense to do the digital release there. And, if you think about it, if the PS3 certification people are able to encounter the crash to XMB bug that Harmonix can't seem to figure out, would it even be able to pass certification?
  • PikminGuts92PikminGuts92 Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I am disappointed that there is no digital option on PS3. Took me forever to find a physical copy because MadCatz only re-printed the Xbox 360 version.
    edited September 2012
    hodayathink;4887721 said:
    I don't remember there being discussions of the Games-on-Demand 360 version before it was officially announced.
    That's because it wasn't officially announced. If it wasn't officially announced, then we wouldn't know it's coming, now would we?

So if there was something in the Announcement Forum relating to a PS3 RB3 download, then there'd be news. But until then, just like now, discussing it before it's 'announced' is just called wishing and doesn't provide anyone any information.
  • NeilDiamond1974NeilDiamond1974 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    I really hope this happens. I'll buy it. Seriously. Someday my son is going to destroy my disc. If some other big titles are released that way such as Borderlands I can't imagine this not being a good idea.

If it doesn't happen, don't be mad if I find a way to back things up via hard drive Harmonix. When the PS3 is long in the tooth and/or I can no longer find a way to grab a new disc should I need it, don't be mad if I hack my PS3. For me it is pretty much a dedicated RB, Hulu, and Netflix machine. As a Dad, I don't have time for shooters which are pretty much all the same anyway to me. (Not trying to start a flame war about shooters.)
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    NeilDiamond1974;4888504 said:

If it doesn't happen, don't be mad if I find a way to back things up via hard drive Harmonix. When the PS3 is long in the tooth and/or I can no longer find a way to grab a new disc should I need it, don't be mad if I hack my PS3. For me it is pretty much a dedicated RB, Hulu, and Netflix machine. As a Dad, I don't have time for shooters which are pretty much all the same anyway to me. (Not trying to start a flame war about shooters.)

You, me, same boat. When you figure it all out, post the "fix" somewhere that is not here so I can find it. Thanks!!
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    BachiG;4888510 said:
    You, me, same boat. When you figure it all out, post the "fix" somewhere that is not here so I can find it. Thanks!!

Liar! You have time for Battlefield, even if it is only once every few months. :p
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    Lawdog1521;4888525 said:
    Liar! You have time for Battlefield, even if it is only once every few months. :p

True, but remember the amount of "convincing" I needed from you and doc (and Spides, maybe?) to pick that up? I'd be happy to play again now that Docs back from vacation, ...but I never picked up the expansion pack... Uh, no time to do that :)
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    I haven't yet either. :p
  • cashandbrocashandbro Unsigned
    edited September 2012
    I've been hoping for a digital release of Guitar 1 & 2 on PS3. As a playstation classics type thing, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
    edited September 2012
    cashandbro;4888580 said:
    I've been hoping for a digital release of Guitar 1 & 2 on PS3. As a playstation classics type thing, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
    I wonder if Sony is concerned about people finding plastic instruments. If so, get over it.

Also, (not that I care too much) but a RB3 digital version could also be an export pack for RB Blitz I suppose.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    cashandbro;4888580 said:
    NeilDiamond1974;4889304 said:
    I wonder if Sony is concerned about people finding plastic instruments. If so, get over it.
    Besides, GH1 through GH3 can all be played with a regular controller.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2012
    The only chance we have of this happening is for MadCatz to release it, likely on disc as well. It would then likely also requrie a patch to change the starting logo.

I'd love for it to happen, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
    edited September 2012
    The issue with GH1 and 2, besides the music tie-ups that may be faced, are the cluster**** of rights between Harmonix and Neversoft.
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4891149 said:
    The issue with GH1 and 2, besides the music tie-ups that may be faced, are the cluster**** of rights between Harmonix and Neversoft.

But what would be the difference with this happening on XBox? (Well maybe the amount of money asked.) It still seems to me that a digital title sold at the regular retail price (vs the boxed copy sold at Best Buy or whatever) should be more profitable for Harmonix and Sony.
    edited October 2012
    NeilDiamond1974;4893241 said:
    But what would be the difference with this happening on XBox? (Well maybe the amount of money asked.) It still seems to me that a digital title sold at the regular retail price (vs the boxed copy sold at Best Buy or whatever) should be more profitable for Harmonix and Sony.
    ...The difference with what happening? Guitar Hero I and II are not available as downloads on Xbox.
  • sinobeetlesinobeetle Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    It's just nutty to be anchored to one disc to play this game. I've gone through 3 discs already, and I'm careful in the handling! Dang KIDS!
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    sinobeetle;4929813 said:
    It's just nutty to be anchored to one disc to play this game. I've gone through 3 discs already, and I'm careful in the handling! Dang KIDS!

Are you sure you're careful? All my PS3 games still works fine, even my PS1 and PS2 games still works fine.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    sinobeetle;4929813 said:
    3? Blurays? I haven't been able to scratch one yet. Even minorly.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Maybe the "Dang KIDS!" has something to do with it? He has kids that have destroyed his discs?
  • sinobeetlesinobeetle Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Kids have the nastiest hands in the universe. Soap and water, kids? Ever heard of 'em?
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I'm a huge fan of "Games on Demand" and all other downloadable, stream-able media; I want to be completely disc-free (though I realize that I lose the ability to resell and trade, which I more or less never get around to doing anyway). On the Xbox this generally means waiting for many months after launch but I'd recently been impressed by Sony getting some major titles up for download virtually simultaneously with the release to disc, notably Madden 13 and frickin' Assassin's Creed III. If they can do those you'd think that they'd do RB3.
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    mikeyts;4936734 said:
    I'm a huge fan of "Games on Demand" and all other downloadable, stream-able media; I want to be completely disc-free (though I realize that I lose the ability to resell and trade, which I more or less never get around to doing anyway). On the Xbox this generally means waiting for many months after launch but I'd recently been impressed by Sony getting some major titles up for download virtually simultaneously with the release to disc, notably Madden 13 and frickin' Assassin's Creed III. If they can do those you'd think that they'd do RB3.

I will never buy discs again if I can help it for my PS3. I bought the download version of Madden 13 - it runs great, no difference compared to my friend who has the disc. Also can't be a bad thing to not be using and abusing the disc reading portions of the PS3. Yes, I'll never be able to trade in a game again, but since the nearest game stop is an hour away, its probably a wash when comparing trade in price vs gas to get to gamestop and back
  • c-murphc-murph Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    sinobeetle;4936729 said:
    Kids have the nastiest hands in the universe. Soap and water, kids? Ever heard of 'em?

If Kids destroyed my RB3 disc, I'd probably punch him dood.
  • FredEffinChopinFredEffinChopin Opening Act
    edited December 2013
    Since these consoles are out the door, I felt like this might be more relevant than it was. I haven't gotten a PS4 yet, but when I do, my PS3 will basically (eventually) be reduced to my Rock Band 3 player. Aside from having a whole lot of DLC for it, it's a unique game in that it is one that I will be going back to every now and then for a long time to come. As my disc drive is on the way out the door, and since that particular type of deterioration is fairly common, it seems like a digital download could be a huge future relief for people who would otherwise be faced with having to either replace or repair their old consoles at a hefty cost for the sake of a single title (well, in my case). Just figured I'd resurrect this and see if there have been any new rumblings on the topic.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited December 2013
    Just like a new retail title or new DLC, it's something that would be great **for us**, the diehards. A good business decision for HMX, not so much.

Do you not have many other games for your PS3? I still have lots of games other than RB3 to keep me coming back to mine (by which I mean in addition to RB3, not instead of).
  • WIIBARONWIIBARON Opening Act
    edited December 2013
    Just remember everyone: everytime something goes 'digital' or automated we lose jobs for real people! Same with robot car welders and drone delivery setups. How many people 20 years ago worked in 'record' stores and worked in factories pressing discs or albums. And the folks working to manufacture CD players or repairing music players. I'll bet 100 total people work at iTunes, when we used to have 1000s of 'music' workers. It's ironic because most of these jobs were taken by the younger folk who are the ones who are forcing the digital future on everyone...Analog creates JOBS!