What the hell happened to Green Day?

Buzzkill_1970Buzzkill_1970 Unsigned
edited September 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
I used to love Green Day. Then came American Idiot. A bit of a change, but still good. Then 20th Century completely sucked, and what's up with their even newer crap?

Not interested in the new DLC. Is it just me? Anyone else?

Comments

• Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    I think if you were going to talk about "What the hell happened to Green Day?", a better discussion topic would be this.
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Buzzkill_1970;4888378 said:
    I used to love Green Day. Then came American Idiot. A bit of a change, but still good. Then 20th Century completely sucked, and what's up with their even newer crap?

Not interested in the new DLC. Is it just me? Anyone else?
    They got old, but decided that it was so important that the world keep hearing their generic punk rock message that they're morally obliged to keep going. This kind of thing happens to lots of bands.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    They suffer from midlife crisis in my opinion, 40+ folks who act like teens always make a joke out of themselves.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited September 2012
    I totally agree with you OP... I loved American Idiot, but the albums after that are mediocre.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited September 2012
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited September 2012
    American Idiot was a fantastic departure for Green Day and 21st Century Breakdown continued on that amazingness.

Then Uno came and it all came tumbling down.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited September 2012
    Being a 90's child, my heart still lies with Dookie. I was fond of American Idiot and found 21st Century Breakdown a decent album, but I still enjoy their earlier material way more.

Bands change over time, that's just how it goes.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited September 2012
    except for Motörhead
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited September 2012
    jibjqrkl;4888449 said:
    except for Motörhead

Wrong, I swear to god Lemmy's mole gets bigger every day.
    edited September 2012
    Witticus;4888450 said:
    Wrong, I swear to god Lemmy's mole gets bigger every day.

It's from his mutton chops emanating pure metal. And mole growth hormone. And sweat.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited September 2012
    AC/DC never changes.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    dog037;4888453 said:
    AC/DC never changes.

They get older.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    As I said in another thread, Billy Joe has always come off as a douche in the interviews I've seen.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    Lawdog1521;4888556 said:
    As I said in another thread, Billy Joe has always come off as a douche in the interviews I've seen.

Has he been playing Blitz a lot lately?
    edited September 2012
    Lawdog1521;4888556 said:

*Billie Joe

:)
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited September 2012
    dragoninforcer;4888606 said:
    *Billie Joe

:)

See, only a douche spells it that way. :p
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    I feel completely the opposite. Aside from the radio singles (and maybe then, only because I've heard them eleventy million billion times), everything before Warning pretty much sounds the same to me. Big, loud guitars, unintelligible lyrics, about 180bpm. Play me a song from Dookie that wasn't a radio single and I'll have no idea whether it's "Sassafrass Roots," "Burnout," "Chump," really could be anything as far as I know. This is even more the case with Insomniac. I hear my musician friends go so far as to say that album is a 'masterpiece,' and it just makes me scratch my head. Big, blaring noise, a masterpiece....suuuuure. There's nothing wrong with big, blaring noise (I do own the album), it's just all very homogenous.

Wasn't until Warning that they really showed some songwriting ability and musicianship. OH NOEZ, IT HAS ACOUSTIC GUITARS, GET YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!!! And American Idiot is the one I'd call a masterwork of songwriting. Is it goofy? Of course it's goofy, concept albums (and rock operas) are goofy pretty much by definition. But it's such a coherent, cohesive album as I'm not sure I've ever heard before. 21st Century Breakdown didn't quite measure up, but it was still very good. I haven't heard the new album. "Oh Love" is a bit bland, but I'll probably get it for RB.

As far as Billie Joe's "I'm not ****ing Justin Bieber" moment, it was all part of the show. I don't doubt he was legitimately pissed off, but it's not like he saw that sign (funny how there was a perfect camera angle of it) and then started an impromptu rant. He knew exactly what he was doing (though he's claiming it was because he has a drinking problem for which he's now entering treatment, I gotta call BS on that. It's a PR move).

So what the hell happened to Green Day? Time passed. They got older. They changed their sound. Some people like it better than before, some don't. This is not a phenomenon unique to Green Day. Nor is the 'acting like rebellious teens when you're 40' thing unique to Green Day. But yeah, like it or lump it, that's who they are now.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Green Day has always been repetitive crap to me. I don't see any changes. (Sorry in advance for the people I offended, if any).
  • charliesmilecharliesmile Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    dragoninforcer;4888405 said:
    They grew up.

yup.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited September 2012
    dragoninforcer;4888405 said:
    They grew up.
    Pankrazzo;4888495 said:
    They get older.

They aren't the same thing... And in this case, only one of these statements is correct.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    DerLindwurm;4888381 said:
    They got old, but decided that it was so important that the world keep hearing their generic punk rock message that they're morally obliged to keep going. This kind of thing happens to lots of bands.

Actually, I think they felt "I need a new swimming pool, let's write a song".
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    dog037;4888453 said:
    AC/DC never changes.

They still have the same lineup they started with.
    edited September 2012
    lvmathemagician;4888684 said:
    They still have the same lineup they started with.

You wanna try that one again?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    21st got better act by act. American Idiot was good. Dookie was good. Middle albums were good. I tried doing Uno!, stopped partway through.

For everyone complaining they should have stuck with Dookie-style, remember that they'd be nearly 40 years old with kids out of high school, singing about masturbation and hating the workforce. That'd be even more dumb than their political statements.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    My opinion on their music seems antithetical to everyone else's. I agree with SheSaid in that Dookie is overrated and really quite simplistic, but I don't exactly think they got better with age either. Insomniac is probably their best one. It's the most rounded of their punk catalogue.

I sort of liked American Idiot, and I can appreciate the attempt, but I can also see where a lot of the hate comes from. Meanwhile, 21CB had one great song and one good song, and the rest ranged from mediocre to terrible, and rivals Great Southern Trendkill for worst RB full album. Oh Love isn't any good at all.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited September 2012
    Witticus;4888444 said:
    Being a 90's child, my heart still lies with Dookie. I was fond of American Idiot and found 21st Century Breakdown a decent album, but I still enjoy their earlier material way more.

Bands change over time, that's just how it goes.

This. Their 90's material IMO was amazing, and the stuff from the 2000's pretty good, but I do have to say, Uno! sounds a bit generic IMO. But hey, it's a bunch of 40+ year-olds trying to appeal to 12 year old girls, what do ya expect?

What I don't get is Muse's new direction. Their new album is pretty much dubstep with guitars.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited September 2012
    Lowlander2;4888984 said:
    Great Southern Trendkill for worst RB full album.

No!
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    There would probably no greater sin in this world than if a couple 40 year olds made an album about being a useless teen

That said, Green Day is quickly heading towards modern Def Leppard territory

Addendum: Just like with Coldplay's Paradise last year, Oh Love wins this year in terms of 'most unimaginative popular song of 2012'
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    HeyRiles;4889121 said:
    There would probably no greater sin in this world than if a couple 40 year olds made an album about being a useless teen

That said, Green Day is quickly heading towards modern Def Leppard territory

Addendum: Just like with Coldplay's Paradise last year, Oh Love wins this year in terms of 'most unimaginative popular song of 2012'
    Is Oh Love even popular? Outside of that damn slot machine, the only time I've been exposed to it was once when me and @Dr_Johnitor were getting in his car, and as the radio turns on, we heard 'Oh luh-ove', both nope'd, and changed it before anything else was heard.

So yeah, once.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4889122 said:
    Is Oh Love even popular? Outside of that damn slot machine, the only time I've been exposed to it was once when me and @Dr_Johnitor were getting in his car, and as the radio turns on, we heard 'Oh luh-ove', both nope'd, and changed it before anything else was heard.

So yeah, once.

I've heard it several times on the radio. Sometimes twice in the same trip, too.