Is Blitz more fun with four lanes or five?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited September 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
There's a certain giggly fun to playing with less than four charts, but let's restrict the question to the most common road widths.

I find five lanes to be more fun. Four lanes is too easy.

Comments

• GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Depends on if the keys lane is doing enough.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Let's try to cast aside any notions of 'depends on the song.' The Linkin Park songs and "Do You Feel Like We Do" are bawls in Blitz because of lanes doing very little, but the same is true of "Cool for Cats" with only four lanes (and probably plenty of other songs). If all else is equal, is it more fun to play with four lanes, or five?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    Five, it's more stuff to do.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited September 2012
    Five, all round...I guess. It IS a very circumstantial question.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2012
    Five lanes is generally worse because more often than not it's got one lane that barely does anything, usually keys or bass. So you have to really make an effort to hit every note in that lane and it almost feels like you're playing one instrument

It isn't very fun
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4890161 said:
    I find five lanes to be more fun. Four lanes is too easy.
    That's because you have superpowers.
    HeyRiles;4890204 said:
    Five lanes is generally worse because more often than not it's got one lane that barely does anything, usually keys or bass.

Agreed. I really hate "background" keys charts/lanes that don't really announce their presence after being empty for three checkpoints.

I'm a boring old fart who likes things to be nice and orderly. That's why I generally prefer four lanes. But I'll be happy to play five as long as I like the song and there's a reasonable amount of activity in all five of them.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Any track is worse with lanes with infrequent notes, especially if they're the outlying lanes because you have to travel further to get to them and with only one adjacent lane they're harder to maintain in tandem with other lanes. A sparse Bass lane can be done in short visits while you're focussing on Guitar or when you're focussing on Drums, but a sparse Keys lane is really only convienient when you're working on Vocals.

5-lanes just make this problem worse because there's even further to go to reach those outlying infrequent lanes when they occur, and that lane 4-lanes-over can often be entirely offscreen, so it's harder to scan for upcoming purple notes as well.
  • Chemical PhoenixChemical Phoenix Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I voted four lanes. I've only played a handful of songs with keys worth constant attention and not just really, really long sustains.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4890180 said:
    Let's try to cast aside any notions of 'depends on the song.' The Linkin Park songs and "Do You Feel Like We Do" are bawls in Blitz because of lanes doing very little, but the same is true of "Cool for Cats" with only four lanes (and probably plenty of other songs). If all else is equal, is it more fun to play with four lanes, or five?
    Well, of course, if all else is equal, I can't think of anyone in their right mind who wouldn't rather have the five lanes. That's kind of like asking whether playing with four buttons or five buttons is more fun in Rock Band guitar. The problem is that in practice, there are way too many songs that have such sparse keys parts that it completely ruins the rhythm of the game, because you're constantly having to keep an eye out for keys notes that can screw up your performance on the actual active tracks, only to often discover that you can't even raise the multiplier cap all the way anyway.

So sure, if it's a song where the keys are prominent, I definitely prefer five lanes to four. Otherwise, not particularly.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Epsilon82;4890467 said:
    So sure, if it's a song where the keys are prominent, I definitely prefer five lanes to four. Otherwise, not particularly.

"Heart of the Sunrise" FTW!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I hate inconsistency: Blitz should play just like Rock Band 3, you can play a maximum of two tracks from {guitar, bass, keys}! It makes the songs so much harder to play (and not in a fun way), especially when (as noted above) the keys are just not prominent, or appear after a section or two of silence.

Or, like "Shout", when they have no keyboard notes at all in the beginning and force you to take a zero on the first section. Infuriating!

Dance for the Dying songs are especially hard because of the way their keys are charted. I find their keyboard parts fun in RB3, and certainly in person (that retro keytar really is a signature instrument for them), but I'm still work on finding a good pathway through their songs on Blitz.
    edited September 2012
    I find it fascinating how you guys got this idea that in every single five-lane song, one of the lanes has little if any notes in it.
    edited September 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4890480 said:
    I find it fascinating how you guys got this idea that in every single five-lane song, one of the lanes has little if any notes in it.
    I don't think anyone's saying that. It's pretty obvious that Harmonix was cognizant of this in the Blitz setlist and made sure that they didn't have any "Before I Forget" or "Need You Tonight" keys parts. But the DLC is a different story, and there are undeniably plenty of songs where the keys make playing the song less fun.

Those situations wouldn't be as frustrating if the game handled these situations a little differently. Ironically, it's not really the "one or two note" problem that causes an issue, because the game almost always doesn't count that lane against the multiplier cap at all in that scenario. It's mostly when there's just enough notes to allow for one multiplier advance but not enough for two or three where it becomes a frustrating burden. If they would just account for that by either ignoring anything that can't get up to 3x or by recognizing when the max multiplier for a given lane as been reached and giving the +3 cap anyway, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a problem.

But like I said, I think most people agree that as long as most lanes are reasonably busy, five lanes is a blast to play.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    You need to have a nice busy keys part for it to be fun. I can't stand it when you have to play the other instruments but then switch over to hit this long-ass chords and you have to basically hit all of them to get the multiplier up. It kind of put a damper on The Wicker Man for me, and I'm a rabid Iron Maiden fan. But like someone else said, usually a busy keys part winds up balancing out a slow guitar or bass part. That's why we need some power/progressive metal where all that stuff is busy. :P
    edited September 2012
    Plutarch;4890525 said:
    You need to have a nice busy keys part for it to be fun. I can't stand it when you have to play the other instruments but then switch over to hit this long-ass chords and you have to basically hit all of them to get the multiplier up. It kind of put a damper on The Wicker Man for me, and I'm a rabid Iron Maiden fan. But like someone else said, usually a busy keys part winds up balancing out a slow guitar or bass part. That's why we need some power/progressive metal where all that stuff is busy. :P
    You probably already know this, but the way you phrased the "long chords" thing makes me want to make sure, but you don't have to hold the sustains to get the multipliers. In those cases, especially earlier in songs where the multipliers aren't up, you just want to hit the sustain briefly and then move off to busier tracks.
  • PlutarchPlutarch Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    Epsilon82;4890551 said:
    You probably already know this, but the way you phrased the "long chords" thing makes me want to make sure, but you don't have to hold the sustains to get the multipliers. In those cases, especially earlier in songs where the multipliers aren't up, you just want to hit the sustain briefly and then move off to busier tracks.

Yeah, I know that and I usually switch to vocals in those situations. I just sometimes have issues when you have to hit the beginning of almost every keys note to get the multiplier and sometimes I wind up neglecting drums or bass because I'm always hovering in the right lanes. But this is definitely a song-by-song situation, some have five lines and everything's good.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited September 2012
    5 lanes...

gives you more to do
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2012
    You could ask the same question with four lanes. If there's an instrument with very few notes it's going to make the song either more challenging or more frustrating to score well on.

Since (at the moment) keys is the one that typically has little or nothing to do, there you go.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited September 2012
    I'll just say this. Playing Do You Feel Like We Do is boring as hell because you have to hit 1 drum note every 2 seconds and a bass note and leveling those up just takes the fun out of that song.

Songs that actually use all 5 lanes like TTFaF on the other hand are pretty fun. It doesn't really matter if it's 4 lanes or 5 lanes. Except I would like to point out that 3 lane tracks and lower can be completely cheesed and make the leaderboards on those songs meaningless.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    What if we prefer one lane songs? where is the option for that? :P
    edited September 2012
    I'm asking you to choose between two things. Not pick your favorite from all conceivable possibilities.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    I know. Voted four because nearly everything I've played with the added keys is impossible to level up.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited September 2012
    I picked four because I don't like jumping three lanes to hit a purple note.
  • osteofightosteofight Road Warrior
    edited September 2012
    5 throws me off. I'm used to vocals being on the right end so if I forget there are keys, I fly off the vocal track :(.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited September 2012
    I voted five.

If we had wrap-around (drums <-> keys), it would be a lot easier. Four is just an Easy Mode.
    edited September 2012
    osteofight;4890965 said:
    5 throws me off. I'm used to vocals being on the right end so if I forget there are keys, I fly off the vocal track :(.
    Ha...yeah, I do that often too, especially when the keys lane is "dimmed" because it doesn't have any notes in that particular section. When I've been playing a lot of legacy DLC I sometimes find myself continuing to tap the button when I'm going to the drums or vocals track, and it's especially easy to forget the vocals isn't the rightmost track all the time, especially when there aren't notes at that time.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2012
    It's generally easier to use specific power-ups for four-lane songs to get really high scores. So I find that there's a little more freedom to experiment with five-lane songs, which makes it more fun for me so I'm not using the same power-up combo all the time.
    osteofight;4890965 said:
    I'm used to vocals being on the right end so if I forget there are keys, I fly off the vocal track :(.

I'd probably have put the keys between drums and vocals on 5-lane tracks instead. Not only because it would make it easier to level up sparse key tracks (since you could switch between guitar/keys and also keys/vocals), but because it would provide a definitive "bookend" feel to the majority of songs, with vocals always on the right and drums always on the left.