Need Help Buying ION Drum Set (cymbal expansion)

jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
edited October 2012 in Rock Band
UPDATE: I just got my ION drums and they won't turn on. The guide button doesn't light up when I connect it to the 360.

Is there some special trick to getting them to turn on I don't know about?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I just got $300 richer and want to buy an ION drum set (360), however the Drum Rocker Cymbal Expansion Kit from ION is out of stock until further notice. (how long it's been like this.. i don't know) ...

So what options are out there for me? Are there other ways of getting a third cymbal? What should I do? Help would be appreciated~! :)

Comments

• dansolodansolo Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    The cymbals that come with the ions are crap, or at least they used to be unless they changed something in the last 3 1/2 years. You should get the core ion set with just the pads and upgrade to your own choice of cymbals.

Here are some suggestions
    pintech
    simmons (same as ions but actually work properly)
    yamaha
    pretty much any electronic cymbal will work as long as it is single zone

You will also need an arm and cords for them(most don't come with them)
    i use these and these or this
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    I think it's too expensive to go the core route, definitely getting the ion drum rocker. The pintech cymbals seem good, but the link to the arm you gave is out of stock until december.
    edited October 2012
    Found the Sound Percussion SPC18 Cymbal Boom Clamp 18" at guitarcenter~ does it come with everything you need to attach it to your kit? I wanna know so I can order this asap
    edited October 2012
    It does other than an 1/4 inch cable to connect the cymbal to the brain. If I were you I would just get a simmons sd5k with a midi pro adapter. All you would need would be a kick pedal and you would have a professional set up to use outside of Rock Band as well. Regular price for those is $400 but they should be on sale for around $300 around the holidays if you want to wait/save up. If you search around on this site all of the info you need and more is available
    edited October 2012
    Also a lot of people replace the stock ion cymbals pretty quickly due to poor registering/double hits(why I suggested the ion core set)
    edited October 2012
    Just saw these, not sure the difference between the K and X model but it looks exactly the same and has a midi out which is most important for rock band since it will work with this.
    The guy who wrote the one negative review would probably be happier with this. You get what you pay for when it comes to electronic drums but I am sure the SD5X would be fine
    edited October 2012
    Ordered everything already.

The arm but it's on backorder. You think they would have put that information on the site to begin with..

Thanks for the help tho
    edited October 2012
    I just got my ION drums and they won't turn on. The guide button doesn't light up when I connect it to the 360.

Is there some special trick to getting them to turn on I don't know about?
    edited October 2012
    Great. Now my Xbox won't turn on. :( ... Sighs.. looks like it's gonna have to repaired... and my RB3 disc is still inside~

And I'm using a different console with the IONs and still getting the same issue with the guide button not connecting it all the time.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    jayou521;4901122 said:
    Great. Now my Xbox won't turn on. :( ... Sighs.. looks like it's gonna have to repaired... and my RB3 disc is still inside~

And I'm using a different console with the IONs and still getting the same issue with the guide button not connecting it all the time.

I have a PS3, not a 360, but from the sound of it (basic electrical troubleshooting), you've got a bad brain. If it's doing it on two different consoles then it's almost guaranteed to be your ION brain. I'd contact ASAP for a replacement. I don't know how their customer service is now. I got mine 3 years ago (and I've had G.A.S. ever since) and needed some of the hardware replaced, I think it was a bolt for mounting their cymbal arms. They just sent me some, free of charge, which was great. But I've heard some horror stories on here.

Best of luck.