Ever slay a dragon?

skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
edited October 2012 in Rock Band
Are there songs that you avoid because they kick your butt so hard that you're kind of scared to play them?

Then one day you just say "screw it" play the song and double your last high score?

What song was it?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Just about every Billy Joel song when I was first starting to get the hang of expert pro keys.

By the time the second pack came out I was pretty good.
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    The song that inspired the thread for me was China Grove. I didn't exactly double my score, but I nailed several parts that usually made me run crying into a corner. Needless to say I got a new high score out of it.
  • randomasrandomas Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    On pro-guitar at the moment I'm stamping on lizards pretending they're dragons ... (rainbow in the dark, bohemian rhapsody, rotam and flight of icarus).

The real dragons I steer well clear of, (On the backs of angels, under the bridge, crazy train).
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    When I first started playing drums, I cried because I couldn't get through "Green Grass High Tides" to save my life. lol...I felt like a complete and utter failure, and contemplated giving up RB at the time. Finally one day I got it. I GOT IT!!!! Hallelujiah!!! Glad I didn't give up.

Now there are some songs that I've put off buying. Several of the Avenged 7fld songs come to mind. I finally bought them, because a friend of mine loves them, and we play together frequently. I can stumble through them on expert drums now. I figure if I can get even 3 stars on the hardest ones, I've successfully slayed that particular dragon. I can improve from there.

I am still hesitant to purchase songs that are all devil tiered, but once I do it....I dive in for all I'm worth. I consider slaying dragons one of lifes greatest lessons. :)
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited October 2012
    I remember back when I first started playing back in the GH2 days. Message in a Bottle kicked my ass so many times. Then I got it!!! My friends said it was so easy...
  • TheBonobo4TheBonobo4 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    There are many songs that I can't beat without no-fail mode. I always use it, just in case. Plus, there are songs I can 5-star on Expert, but not pass legitimately. But I can't think off the top of the top of my head.

I suppose Jerry is a dragon. I still can't 5 star the Bass, but I can get 4 quite easily. But when I first started on Expert I was getting 2 stars and 75%, now it's 4 stars and 90%. :)
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Painkiller for me.. Next time.. Expert.. :p
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I've tried to beat Happy Dragon's vocal scores on some songs, but haven't had much luck.

Doesn't bother me. I like that dragon anyway.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2012
    "Mr. Crowley" by Ozzy and "Flight of Icarus" by Iron Maiden both kicked my ass with their guitar solos the first time around, but I then passed both of them quite easily on a second and third play.

Other than that, I've only ever passed "Green Grass and High Tides" on expert guitar twice, on RB2. RB3's system penalizes me too much to pass it now, but it felt good back then. Of course, there is always the RB3 no-fail mode.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited October 2012
    I clobbered quite a few M's and H's on Pro Keys. Better to see X *** than H *****.

Total Eclipse of the Heart was one song I thought I would never 3-star on Expert.

Also, only Llama and Roundabout await Expert 3-stars.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Dystopia by Chaotrope on Expert guitar. So many tries before I finally passed it (blasted death sweep at the end of the solo)
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I remember playing Panic attack in RB2 and absolutely hating it because it was too difficult. After I exported it, about a year later, I went back, played it and 5 starred it. So happy :D
  • 19-joey-7619-joey-76 Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    Visions, i hate that song to this day, guitar and pro drums
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Anthrax's "Caught In A Mosh" on Expert drums. Up until about a month ago, I had never been able to beat it due to the tiring, super-fast main beat, but now I can plow through it on a regular basis while only dipping into the red once or twice.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2012
    I was afraid of Satch Boogie for a while. Then I decided "f*** it, let's do this," and aced it.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2012
    I would download Satch Boogie if it had trill lanes. For songs like that, I'd definitely support their usage.
  • Moist_NipplesMoist_Nipples Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    Up until a few months ago, I never even considered finishing TtFaF on expert pro drums. I somehow survived around 75% of it, which I was ecstatic about at the time. Kept playing it every now and then getting varied results (once you lose the fast double beat it's all over), but eventually passing the whole thing. A similar thing happened with Panic Attack before this.

I also remember a distinct moment with GH 3. My older brother was always better than me in those days and one time I played Impulse and he watched and said: "Wow, when did you get so good!" Needless to say he was still better than me :P
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Back when I started playing rock band (drums) The Hand That Feeds was the bane of my existence after countless times trying and failing I finally passed it I kinda left it alone for awhile because I was afraid to try again but when Rock Band 2 came out I played it again and FC'd it :)
  • skyp1eskyp1e Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    firedoom666;4899268 said:
    Back when I started playing rock band (drums) The Hand That Feeds was the bane of my existence after countless times trying and failing I finally passed it I kinda left it alone for awhile because I was afraid to try again but when Rock Band 2 came out I played it again and FC'd it :)

It's kind of like elephants and chains. A grown elephant could easily break the chains they use to hold them in place, but if they were chained as babies they learned back then that they didn't have the strength and (supposedly because an elephant never forgets) they never try again.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    i slayed a bunch of dragons, but then i took out my Skyrim disc and played some RB instead.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited October 2012
    GG&HT and Flirtin' With Disaster were mine on hard and expert guitar.

For GG&HT, I beat it on hard before I could pass Flirtin', and Flirtin' I would get oh so close with, but fail. Eventually I passed both on expert, both with at least 4 star scores.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    For a long time Warriors of Time slaughtered me at solos 1 and 3 but since I first bought the track, I've gotten down (sort of) solo 1 but solo 3 is still really hard for me. I've gotten 5 stars on it recently (first time I played it I got 3).
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Snow ((Hey Oh))

I absolutley sucked at the song before. Left it alone forever, and then I played it again and gold starred it right away. Working on the FC but progress is sooooo slow.

Oh, and "Jordan" from GH2. Could never pass it, and then I played it again, passed it and 5 starred it. But that's probably more of the fact that it takes to much work to set up the PS2 and that I didn't have 600+ songs on it like I do with GHWOR and RB3
    BohemianMatt;4899005 said:
    I would download Satch Boogie if it had trill lanes. For songs like that, I'd definitely support their usage.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Surfing With The Alien. Satch is the one with the quad zig zags for a minute and half.
  • SylarTheNinjaSylarTheNinja Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    I could never get a combo on the guitar intro to There's No Other Way by Blur, but I played it a couple of days ago and 5 starred it first try. Now I just need to try and figure out the outro.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Don't Fear the Reaper on Expert Drums was my dragon. For the life of me I couldn't keep a beat with the snare roll after the break (bridge?), continuing with my flailing around during the outro even if I made it that far. Needless to say, I took a break from the song for a few weeks, came back one day and nailed it first try. Never even got into the red. That was a great feeling.

Though, the song was more like the Balrog from LotR than a dragon. Even though it was not allowed to pass and fell amid the crumbling bridge, its whip caught my leg and plucked me from solid ground, throwing me into a free fall fight to the death. While it got its licks in a few times after (I think I failed it the very next day, actually), eventually I conquered my foe and laid its ruin upon the mountain...err, stage.

I've never FCd it, but I can comfortably pass it every time now. It just took a loooong while to get there; thus ends my tale of DFtR.