The last truly 'great' Rush album...

progmeisterprogmeister Unsigned
edited November 2012 in History of Rock
Was 'Moving pictures' (1981) the last truly great Rush album?

Comments

• killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    progmeister;4899255 said:
    Was 'Moving pictures' (1981) the last truly great Rush album?

I'd argue it was Permanent Waves (1980), but still...
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2012
    I loved Clockwork Angels!
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Clockwork Angels is my favorite album by them so I still think they are going strong
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Well I personally don't enjoy a good chunk of their discography (Signals to Presto, Counterparts to Vapor Trails) but love the other half dearly (I'm excluding Clockwork Angels because I haven't listened to it yet). The stuff I don't like is a bit too synth-heavy and ambient for my taste, but somehow they got it right on Roll the Bones, and none of their other synth-abusive albums. Even though it's not as great as Moving Pictures, it's still a great album
    edited October 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4899257 said:

Clockwork Angels is a good album, but not a great album. Close, however...
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited October 2012
    I'm going to go with Hold Your Fire, but then again, I'm a big fan of their New Wave period.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I really like Signals, personally.
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Clockwork Angels is certainly the best Rush album since Signals. I would put it near the level of Moving Pictures, and above that of Signals, and 2112.
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    I love Power Windows (1985)~ best album Rush made during the 80's imo.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    killer_roach;4899256 said:
    I'd argue it was Permanent Waves (1980), but still...

I'd agree it isn't one of their best, but I would argue it contains one of their greatest songs (The Camera Eye)
    Runesmith;4899473 said:
    I'm going to go with Hold Your Fire, but then again, I'm a big fan of their New Wave period.

As do I, but maybe it's because "Time Stands Still" was one of the first Rush songs I liked...
  • M_Robbins5M_Robbins5 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I can't really say what the last truly great Rush album was since I only own Moving Pictures and 2112. I should see about fixing that. Which Rush albums do you guys recommend?
    edited October 2012
    M_Robbins5;4899638 said:
    I can't really say what the last truly great Rush album was since I only own Moving Pictures and 2112. I should see about fixing that. Which Rush albums do you guys recommend?

In terms of their proggier output, pretty much anything from Fly By Night to Moving Pictures (includes Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves) is recommended.

In terms of their poppier output, I'd point out Presto, Roll The Bones, and Power Windows.

Their last two albums (Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels) are both recommended, and exist somewhere between the two.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    instantdeath999;4899633 said:
    As do I, but maybe it's because "Time Stands Still" was one of the first Rush songs I liked...

Didn't know you were such an All-American Rejects fan :p

The lack of love for Counterparts and Test for Echo in this thread makes me a sad panda.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited October 2012
    That last great Rush album was also the first great Rush album, and that's Caress of Steel
  • progmeisterprogmeister Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    Really interesting replies! It sort of confirms what I suspected from reading fans' album reviews on Amazon and the like....there really is very little consensus amongst fans about Rush' best period - let alone their best album. Sign of a great band, I suppose. I think some of it has to do with when you became a fan. 80s Rush fans tend to like that period best. Older fans like the early stuff etc.

Personally, I like their proggy, earlier stuff. The cut-off point for me is 'Moving pictures' even though I'm not wild about side two, which is a bit turgid and contains echoes of future musical developments along with the cod-reggae 'Vital signs'. After that, for me, Rush become a less remarkable, more mainstream AOR rock band and lose much of their earlier bombast and creative flair. I wouldn't dismiss any of their albums, however. All are made with huge care and effort.

It's interesting, though, that of all bands I know Rush fans are by far the most split on what their best music is.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4899800 said:
    Didn't know you were such an All-American Rejects fan :p

The lack of love for Counterparts and Test for Echo in this thread makes me a sad panda.

Hmm, they sound so similar, I must have just heard it and assumed it was Rush :p

So apparently it's been "Time Stand Still" all these years... learn something new every day.
  • HardRockerBrazilHardRockerBrazil Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Naaah.
    Cipher_Peon;4899257 said:
    Seconded. I'm not that much a fan of concept albums, but Clockwork Angels is beautiful.
  • TheBonobo4TheBonobo4 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I haven't listened to anything of their's past 1981 except Counterparts (1992). That said, I haven't listened to all of their 70s stuff either. But I can say this:

Working Man (song from album Rush) is excellent.
    Fly By Night (the song, not the album) is excellent. Haven't listened to the rest of the album.
    Caress of Steel minus Necromancer is excellent. Lamneth is my 2nd favourite song by them, after 2112. Necromancer is a bit too weird for me.
    2112 is my favourite song by them.
    Farewell to Kings album is epic, but the Voyage is a strange song that I can't tell if I love/hate it. It's very much not a standalone, and requires much listening to to understand it.
    Hemispheres. What can I say? Perfect all round. Hemispheres, Trees, Circumstances, La Villa Strangiato.
    Permanent Waves. Can't comment, though Spirit of radio is very good.
    Moving Pictures. Hit and miss. I like some of it but sometimes it feels like filler and "samey". Though I do like Tom Sawyer and Limelight.

Finally, Counterparts. Overall a good album, with a few weaker songs. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I know I liked Stick it Out, and Animate and Nobody's Hero are both magnificent! :)
  • wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Clockwork Angels is the best they've done since Counterparts IMO (which I realize means VERY little), and I enjoyed Counterparts a lot.

I will say, their 90's stuff may not have been up to the par of their earlier albums, but their were still some GREAT songs they put out in that time period.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2012
    I wasn't initially wild about Clockwork Angels, but it really grew on me - especially after reading the accompanying novel (by Neil Peart and Kevin Anderson). In some ways, it's 2112 all over again, but in others, it's completely brand new.

Link to the novel: http://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Angels-Kevin-J-Anderson/dp/1770411216
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    As a diehard RUSH fan I have to say that every album is awesome in it's own way so the last truly great album is Clockwork Angels.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited November 2012
    I put the line at Moving Pictures as the last "Great" Album. I do like a lot of the stuff after that, just don't feel that strong about any whole album beyond that point. Part of it has to be my leaning towards long, epic productions found on MP and prior.
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Dadasaurus Rex;4925150 said:
    I put the line at Moving Pictures as the last "Great" Album. I do like a lot of the stuff after that, just don't feel that strong about any whole album beyond that point. Part of it has to be my leaning towards long, epic productions found on MP and prior.

Headlong Flight on the Clockwork angels album went almost 7 1/2 minutes. Would that be considered long enough in your eyes?
    edited November 2012
    CanuckGamer;4934039 said:
    Headlong Flight on the Clockwork angels album went almost 7 1/2 minutes. Would that be considered long enough in your eyes?

Um, not even close.

Moving Pictures was the last Rush album to feature a song over 10 minutes in length (barely), while many other top artists in the progressive space lately seem to be in an arms race over making longer and longer material (multiple ten-plus-minute tracks are the norm in prog anymore, unless your album is just one long song cycle [see Porcupine Tree's "The Incident", Glass Hammer's "Perilous", Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind"...]).

They've become a throwback to an era that didn't ever exist except for them.