crashing after 1000+ songs played fix! yay good news!

jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
edited November 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
so yeah, just saw this in the software support section of the forums, but seems appropriate to put it in here as well for those who don't look there:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231850&p=4899383&viewfull=1#post4899383
hmxhenry;4899383 said:
Afternoon all. Quick update: the fix has been tested and fully verified on our end and we're just waiting for senior sign off to roll it out. The brief forum outage today ate into our time a bit, and rather than launch this late in the day we'll likely punt until tomorrow. I'll check in first thing to see if we can get this rolled out as quickly as possible. Thanks for your continued patience.

Comments

  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Nice! I don't have 1,000 songs yet (nor have I played all of my ~800 songs) but it's good to see this fixed both for you guys, and for me when I finally get to that point.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Best News! Wonder if it's a patch or on the server end? At least it has given me the excuse to go back and gold all of my songs before hitting the cap
  • hodayathinkhodayathink Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    ghostofjarjar;4899529 said:
    Best News! Wonder if it's a patch or on the server end? At least it has given me the excuse to go back and gold all of my songs before hitting the cap
    I think it's server end because you could play the songs offline just fine, but online with powerups was causing problems.
  • VampIncVampInc Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    It's on the server side, they applied the fix directly to the affected users accounts. When you log into Blitz you see a message letting you know Update on your Game Data. But just to be clear everyone who has 1000+ songs will encounter this fix if you play them all. Once the fix is applied to your account, your stars on your system are reset. So it looks like you have not played any songs at first glance. It will show you on the right hand side of the screen if you had played and RBW still shows your stars.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    another post by Henry explaining what the fix does exactly: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231850&p=4900046&viewfull=1#post4900046
    hmxhenry;4900046 said:
    Hey all! So from what we've been able to verify on the dev servers, the fix should have been rolled out. We'll track live feedback here in this thread to make sure everything is working as intended on the user side.

    To recap, what's happened is that affected users have generated a save data file that is larger than the servers are able to gracefully process. This file size is loosely tied to the number of unique songs played in Blitz (as many of you noticed it around the 1,020 song mark), but that's not a hard set number as there are other factors contributing the the save data file.

    What we've done is roll out a server side fix that eliminates some of the burden on the save data file. This should allow previously affected users to play and log scores just as they had been able to previously. The only drawback is that affected users will no longer be able to see their in menu star count. At first glance it may appear that star data has disappeared, but rest assured that your stars, scores, leaderboard rankings, career score, coins and cred should all be exactly as they were previously.

    Your star count should still be fully visible on Rock Band World on Facebook, and your score should still display in the Global Ranking pane to the right of your setlist. All that data is still being stored server side and should still be viewable everywhere except as stars in your setlist.

    For those of you that have already been affected, you should be able to sign in and play again now. Give that a shot, let me know how it goes and I'll pass feedback along. Next steps for those of you unaffected or soon to be affected should be pretty painless: just wait. At around the 950 songs played mark you'll receive an inbox message letting you know that you're approaching this save data issue. You'll receive another message around the 1,000 song mark informing you that we've applied the server side fix to your account. That should mean no further interruptions in game play for anyone else creeping up on this.

    I hope that adequately explains the situation. Fire up Blitz and play a few songs when you have the chance and let me know if everything is working as intended. We'll continue to track here as well as on the server side to make sure that things run smoothly. Thanks again for hanging in there while we developed and tested this fix.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    So once I hit a thousand songs played my precious console based stars will disappear?
  • edited October 2012
    NightmareLyre;4900261 said:
    So once I hit a thousand songs played my precious console based stars will disappear?

    Yes, but they'll be preserved server side, on RB World, and in our hearts.

    Just to reiterate, your star count still exists, it just won't display in the setlist. All of your previous stars, scores, leaderboard rankings, score war totals, coins and cred should still display as normal as well.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    So the stars just simpily don't show up in the game? Are you working on a fix to that?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Well, guess I'll play Blitz to 300, then sit on it until I get the Johnny Cash pack for the Historian Achievement and then...that's it. No more. No point playing if it's just going to purge my local display, especially since my song count is going to grow by roughly 400 as I complete the sale.

    It was a fun game before this news, maybe I'll end up playing to 999 or something, but hey, I got more RB3 songs.
  • VampIncVampInc Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    According to HMX the data save file size is the issue. If you would read the thread under support you could get more information from it. But over all they can't change or apply a fix to this area of the game because that file is in the same area as the engine core and it's very difficult to correct it.
    The fix they came up with works, yes it does have a flaw, but it does let you play the game. Once your hooked and enjoy playing the game you don't have to sit and wait a month or so to be able to play again. They worked fast and addressed the issue, They could of taken the gold stars, career score, blitz credits or anything else away from us and they made a hard but right choice.
    I don't think people would like it if they reset our career scores...
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4900328 said:
    Well, guess I'll play Blitz to 300, then sit on it until I get the Johnny Cash pack for the Historian Achievement and then...that's it. No more. No point playing if it's just going to purge my local display, especially since my song count is going to grow by roughly 400 as I complete the sale.

    It was a fun game before this news, maybe I'll end up playing to 999 or something, but hey, I got more RB3 songs.

    Yes, because the game breaking and refusing to run properly at 1000 songs was the better alternative.

    In one fell sweep, you have put all of my complaints and reasoning to utter shame.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Lowlander2;4900338 said:
    Yes, because the game breaking and refusing to run properly at 1000 songs was the better alternative.

    In one fell sweep, you have put all of my complaints and reasoning to utter shame.
    Show me where I said this was the worse option.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4900341 said:
    Show me where I said this was the worse option.
    You're insinuating that had this fix not come, if this game would still have intermittent freezing issues, you still might have played it. But now that there's no local store-age past a certain point, you've lost the zest for it.

    You know, you can just hit up Faceb---

    Oh. Never mind.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Lowlander2;4900344 said:
    You're insinuating that had this fix not come, if this game would still have intermittent freezing issues, you still might have played it. But now that there's no local store-age past a certain point, you've lost the zest for it.
    No, I'm bluntly stating I don't want to play a game that purges the display when I'm halfway through my possibilities. I'm not insinuating a damn thing.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4900347 said:
    No, I'm bluntly stating I don't want to play a game that purges the display when I'm halfway through my possibilities. I'm not insinuating a damn thing.
    Right. But you would have kept playing for sure if this didn't happen.

    It's not as if your scores are GONE gone. You can just use Facebook like everyone else. And hey, champ, they might work out yet another fix for this issue too.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Lowlander2;4900363 said:
    Right. But you would have kept playing for sure if this didn't happen.
    When did I say that? Are you that hellbent on making up situations?
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited October 2012
    wait... GNF is serious?
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited October 2012
    GNFfhqwhgads;4900365 said:
    When did I say that? Are you that hellbent on making up situations?

    Dude, you literally just said, "Thanks to this, now I don't have any reason to play the game past getting all the achievements. It's no longer fun now".

    No, you know what? You're just being difficult. Thank you. Byeeeee.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Lowlander2;4900373 said:
    Dude, you literally just said, "Thanks to this, now I don't have any reason to play the game past getting all the achievements. It's no longer fun now".
    Still not seeing the part where I was going to keep playing right into the crash point. Waiting on that.
  • espherespher Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Put me in agreement with GNF, though I'll probably still play to clear goals.

    There's something that annoys me about not being able to see progression in a tangible capacity as I'm leafing through my song list. It's nice to see at a glance what I've played and what I haven't, and know which songs I need to gold. Yes, I can get that information by looking at Facebook. I know. It doesn't mean I'm particularly thrilled about having to do so. I mean, I could have tracked all my RB scores on ScoreHero, too (and I did for a while), but it was nice to have that info available in game, at a glance.

    Still, a fix is better than no fix, even if it's not perfect. The game is still fun, and this won't make it not fun. I'll keep plugging away at goals once I hit the cap and hope that, at some point, we get an in-game-star-display back.

    Or, you know, it'll be fixed... for the sequel. ;)
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Glad to see the fix is in. I'm not near the cap yet, but potentially could be some day as my Blitz library is 1100+ songs now.

    To me, its almost a relief that its set up this way now. No incentive to grind out songs I hate just for the sake of "completion". I'd have played Visions just to see stars next to it. Now there is no good reason to do so.

    Now I can just enjoy completing RB World goals between Blitz and RB3, just playing songs I enjoy in Blitz, and continue to have fun watching and helping my 6 year old play Blitz. (I "help" him by exploiting the 2 controller thing on PS3 - he hits notes, I shoot the bottle rockets for him!)
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited October 2012
    I think you guys are over-exaggerating. I'm assuming the sort option for star count will still be there, it just won't be visible on the right hand side. You can still easily tell which songs you need to five star or gold star, whatever your goal is
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    HeyRiles;4901040 said:
    I think you guys are over-exaggerating. I'm assuming the sort option for star count will still be there, it just won't be visible on the right hand side. You can still easily tell which songs you need to five star or gold star, whatever your goal is
    I didn't even bother to check that when I was playing, but I'm 99% sure that those filters apply to the state of the star counts in the program at that time. Hence, you won't be able to sort by your "actual" star values unless you've played them again and they're physically visible there. So the only way you can get a comprehensive listing of your stars is on Rock Band World, unless, of course, you have fewer than 1,000 songs, which I'd imagine is actually most people.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    I halfheartedly agree with GNF, that this seems like a disheartening "fix," but it'll be a while before it matters to me. I have 920-something songs in RB3, which means "only" 840-something in Blitz. I'll be fine for a while.
  • VampIncVampInc Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    HMX Henry, Did you get my PM? I have not gotten any reply and just wanted to make sure you got it.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    VampInc;4901489 said:
    HMX Henry, Did you get my PM? I have not gotten any reply and just wanted to make sure you got it.
    This is like mailing someone a letter to ask if they got the last letter.
  • ghostofjarjarghostofjarjar Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    And to think, all of this could have been avoided along with other complaints and issues if they would have just implemented a local save file and not made this a strictly online game. :rolleyes:
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, it does suck that Blitz has a finite shelf life. Once those servers are gone, Blitz really won't exist anymore. This could be addressed through a patch, theoretically speaking (a patch to disable coins/allow powerups to be used offline/etc.), shortly before the servers go kaput, but really, what are the odds of that?

    So everybody better enjoy the five or six years of Blitzing that they'll get to experience.
  • MurphyRockMurphyRock Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    I own significantly less than 1000 songs. If I were to play all my 500 songs twice, would I run into this bug and see local stars disappear? (I'm thinking the answer is no, but just want to make sure.)
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4903814 said:
    Yeah, it does suck that Blitz has a finite shelf life. Once those servers are gone, Blitz really won't exist anymore. This could be addressed through a patch, theoretically speaking (a patch to disable coins/allow powerups to be used offline/etc.), shortly before the servers go kaput, but really, what are the odds of that?

    So everybody better enjoy the five or six years of Blitzing that they'll get to experience.
    unless they already have that built in and can just send a signal to unlock it!

    weird crazy people theories!
Sign In or Register to comment.