Fox Animation Presents: Charles Shultz's 'Peanuts'

arniejoltarniejolt Weird-Huey Lewis
edited October 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
20th Century Fox Animation and Ice Age makers Blue Sky Studios will turn Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Woodstock and the whole Peanuts gang into an animated feature film franchise. Fox has closed a deal for rights to turn the strip by the late Charles Schulz into a film that has already been set for release on November 25, 2015. That date commemorates the 65th anniversary of the comic strip and the 50th anniversary of the TV special A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Fox Animation has set director Steve Martino, who co-directed the Fox/Blue Sky hit Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears A Who! and Fox Animation’s latest blockbuster, Ice Age: Continental Drift. The screenplay is by Craig Schulz and the writing team of Bryan Schulz & Cornelius Uliano. Craig Schulz and Bryan Schulz, who are Schulz’s son and grandson, will produce with Uliano.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/charles-schulzs-peanuts-in-feature-deal-with-fox-animation-and-blue-sky-studios/

How does this make you feel?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    So it's going to be cgi? That's dumb.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2012
    Indifferent.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited October 2012
    Good grief.
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited October 2012
    nooooooooooooooooo bruther. CGI and Peanuts don't mix bruther.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Well at least they're not giving it to Seth MacFarlane.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2012
    If I wanted CGI Peanuts I'd play this game.

Also, hearing that it's from the guys that did Ice Age: Continental Drift scares the piss out of me. But hopefully the involvement of the Schultz family should leave a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, if someone cares really hard, the film series might be worth watching.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    i never found peanuts entertaining. every animated peanuts show has been exhaustingly boring. the actual comics have some charm but they aren't very funny so i really don't see how they can do worse than what's already out there. maybe if they include hip hop or camera from the jersey shore it could be worse.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2012
    topdrawer;4899805 said:
    i never found peanuts entertaining. every animated peanuts show has been exhaustingly boring. the actual comics have some charm but they aren't very funny so i really don't see how they can do worse than what's already out there. maybe if they include hip hop or camera from the jersey shore it could be worse.

Rather than berate you for having an opposing opinion from mine, I'll simply say that whatever you think of the Peanuts, there could be worse. Like you've said with the hip-hop and the Jersey Shore references, but there's other ways, too. Take Dr. Suess' "The Lorax," for example. the book itself was just a simple politically-charged story about the consequences of deforestation. But the film turns this story into a backwards mindf*** of a thing by adding in a ton of plot elements and themes that replace and even challenge the themes of the original source material, such as making the main character only want to plant trees to impress a girl.

Even with something as "plain" as Peanuts, there's a way to f*** it up really hard.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2012
    I also never found Peanuts endearing. But I'll give this new thing a chance, if I remember to watch it.
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Peanuts' charm comes from a subtle exploration of an uncaring world through the eyes of a grade schooler to whom good things rarely happen. And when they do, they momentarily elevate him above his drab, monotonous existence before he slides right back into his daily routine.

Can the guys who did the Ice Age movies even do that?

Oh, and the cartoons had a super-stylish jazz soundtrack directed by Vince Guaraldi. I will be absolutely shocked if these guys don't slip some eight year-old pop song into the mix.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Nobody shook hands and said, "Good Game".
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited October 2012
    Afterstasis!?! How you been?
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Lawdog1521;4900314 said:
    Afterstasis!?! How you been?

No smoke, so no good.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    topdrawer;4899805 said:
    i never found peanuts entertaining. every animated peanuts show has been exhaustingly boring. the actual comics have some charm but they aren't very funny so i really don't see how they can do worse than what's already out there.

^
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited October 2012
    Where's the nearest wall for me to bash my head in?
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited October 2012
    If it's good then I'm excited. It's far more likely that it will be bad though.
  • ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited October 2012
    dog037;4904454 said:
    If it's good then I'm excited. It's far more likely that it will be bad though.

Agreed.