How in the hell do you GS Cult of Personality?!?

jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
edited October 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I like this song, but it's driving me effin crazy. I've tried almost 50 times now and have only managed around 344k. What load out have people used to get a GS? That score came today with the power up of shock, pinball and guitar. Second highest was band, flame, guitar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    shockwave is awful, simple as that

most people use either jackpot/blast/guitar or road rage/blast/guitar

if you're really confident about your skills you can go with jackpot/flame/guitar

if you're gonna go with road rage, don't use it unless your bar is completely full. (and try to avoid using it in solos).
    also, getting 100% in the solos is worth more than overhitting notes and losing Blitz, so just ram those controls like crazy
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Jackpot is one that I haven't used mainly because I have a hard time keeping the streak. Guess I'll have to really get the timing down and try again.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    jaystonepk;4901283 said:
    Jackpot is one that I haven't used mainly because I have a hard time keeping the streak. Guess I'll have to really get the timing down and try again.
    You can surely still get Gold Stars using Point Doubler. You should definitely be using either that or Jackpot on this song. I'd recommend Blast Notes to help out keeping all of the multipliers up, especially early on.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar, or 'Old Reliable' as I like to call it (Ryan came up with it). Activate Road Rage at the densest parts with as full a bar as you can, and don't waste any in the solos.
    edited October 2012
    also dont use road rage just before a checkpoint if your multipliers are already full, use it straight after.

as soon as your multipliers get full (pretty quickly with road rage) just concentrate on the guitar and switch to other lanes when you see OD on them
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4901304 said:
    also dont use road rage just before a checkpoint if your multipliers are already full, use it straight after.
    Good advice all the time, not just on this song.
    jibjqrkl;4901304 said:
    as soon as your multipliers get full (pretty quickly with road rage) just concentrate on the guitar and switch to other lanes when you see OD on them

Or purple notes. I was getting upwards of 2,000 points a blast note on some of the denser parts of the song.
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions because Jackpot and me just don't get along. I've gotten decent scores with 'Old Reliable' and have tried Double with Blast and Flame but still have a hard time with it. This is the last song I need for the 3 song blitz hard goal and I'm kind of tired of playing it.
    edited October 2012
    what control set you using? if you're using freakish you can use both triggers and bumpers to hit notes, making spamming the solo's a lot easier
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited October 2012
    You can try Bandmate and Flame Notes in tandem, but you'll have little room for error in getting all tracks leveled up since Bandmate will be the only thing hitting notes for you
  • thjimmythjimmy Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    jaystonepk;4901474 said:
    Thanks for the suggestions because Jackpot and me just don't get along. I've gotten decent scores with 'Old Reliable' and have tried Double with Blast and Flame but still have a hard time with it. This is the last song I need for the 3 song blitz hard goal and I'm kind of tired of playing it.
    I have the same issues with Jackpot. Here's what got the GS for me:

X2, Flame, Synchronicity.

Use the X2 on the Flames and chase tracks at will with Synchronicity. It's awesome.
  • RyoandrRyoandr Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    just remember to keep at least 1 RR activation ready for the last part after the final vocals. Big points as it's filled with notes
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Hit. Moar. Notes.

*runs away*
    edited October 2012
    T-Hybrid;4902525 said:
    Hit. Moar. Notes.

*runs away*

Haha, I'm trying.

I think for me I need to using Flame with Doubler or Band. I've gotten consistently higher scores with Flames.

@thjimmy If I try RR again I'll remember to save it for the ending, didn't think about that.
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4901578 said:
    what control set you using? if you're using freakish you can use both triggers and bumpers to hit notes, making spamming the solo's a lot easier

Using the standard setup so I'm hammering away using my thumbs.
    edited October 2012
    T-Hybrid;4902525 said:
    Hit. Moar. Notes.

*runs away*

You misspelled Notez :p
    edited October 2012
    OMG FINALLY! Bandmate/Flame/Guitar and managed 374k.

Only took 121 plays :(

I was about to ask someone at Harmonix to see if they could award me a GS on principle. That's some dedication right there.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    After all those plays you just HAD to GS that song. I'm so happy you finally got it man! :D
  • rjbr2000rjbr2000 Insane
    edited October 2012
    HeyRiles;4901586 said:
    You can try Bandmate and Flame Notes in tandem, but you'll have little room for error in getting all tracks leveled up since Bandmate will be the only thing hitting notes for you
    This.

Just hope that you'll get some flame notes for that nasty solo then use Bandmate.
  • metalkornmetalkorn Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    i used road rage, blast and guitar - it took me 54 attempts to gold star it. It was the hardest blitz track to GS as far as I'm concerned. Thank god I like the song.
    edited October 2012
    Wow, I'm feeling like I got skillz. It only took me 12 total plays to GS, and at least 1 or 2 of those were before I was grinding for it for "Hard Goal is Hard"
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited October 2012
    I guess I must have gotten lucky. I used RR/BN/SG and GS'd it on my 3rd time playing it.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Huh, I must have gotten really lucky then. I GSd it the first try. :/ Don't remember the load out, it might have been RR/BN/Guitar+. Either that or Jackpot/Flame Notes/Guitar+; I didn't think that was a hard one to GS.

Shout was the one that gave me fits...took me 4-5 times; which just cemented the idea that I'm unable to grind out high scores. 5 times through and I was ready to pull my hair out. You guys are more hardcore than I will ever be.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    So this took me a few tries, but here's how I did it:
    Bandmate
    Flame Notes
    Super Guitar

Hit AS MANY flame notes as possible. Use Bandmate once or twice before the big solo, then HOARD. About ten seconds into the solo, deploy! At the repetition of "I am the cult of," stay on guitar and DON'T SHIFT. You might have to try once or twice, but you'll get it.
    edited October 2012
    CJHobbes;4908509 said:
    Huh, I must have gotten really lucky then. I GSd it the first try. :/

Oh yeah? Well, well, well....I gold starred it before I ever even got the game! Beat that, huh!!! :p
    edited October 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4908656 said:
    Oh yeah? Well, well, well....I gold starred it before I ever even got the game! Beat that, huh!!! :p

i gold starred it before most people got the game, does that count? :3
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited October 2012
    It was literally impossible for me to gold star it on my first time through.
  • VampIncVampInc Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    jaystonepk;4904023 said:
    OMG FINALLY! Bandmate/Flame/Guitar and managed 374k.

Only took 121 plays :(

I was about to ask someone at Harmonix to see if they could award me a GS on principle. That's some dedication right there.
    I hope you got credit for your hard goal as well :)
    edited October 2012
    I did. I'd already GS'd the other songs earlier in the week. Wicker Man took a few tries as well but not nearly as bad.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    All the anti-Shockwave talk in this thread... I just GSed Cult of Personality (and The Wicker Man) today with Shock-Pinball-SGuitar. On an especially note-dense song that I'm playing Pinball on, I've found that Shockwave works better for me than any other activation powerup. I'm not about to be able to maintain a jackpot; doubler and bandmate just don't give me as much score as Shockwave does when I'm spending most of the song chasing the pinball rather than chasing notes; and Road Rage and Bottle Rocket actually remove notes from the field in front of me which crimps on Pinball scoring. Shockwave is a perfectly competent companion powerup for Pinball.

Useless for all other purposes, though.
  • zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Until Shockwave, and Pinball can net me over 550,000 on Cult of Personality and over 700,000 on the Wicker Man, I'll stick with Jackpot and Flame.

Besides it's better to pair Pinball with Road Rage so you can actually try to get the multipliers up while you are chasing the pinball.

Shockwave is only useful if you pair it with Synchrony because then it doesn't clear any notes for you so you can still get 1,500-2000 per sync. I rather get my multipliers up though.