PS3 RB3 Rock Central Server issues.

DiamaniacalDiamaniacal Opening Act
I have been keeping documentation of the RCS I have been experiencing that have reappeared in RB3 since Blitz was released.

If you are experiencing RCS connection issues please post them here with the date(s) and time zone.

Let's try to keep it constructive as we have gotten edgy at times (myself included).

Comments

• intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Tonight was a good night..... 10-15-12

3 XMB crashes and 2 tries to connect to RBC... :D
    3 Hours of play though and alone.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4905130 said:
    Tonight was a good night..... 10-15-12

3 XMB crashes and 2 tries to connect to RBC... :D
    3 Hours of play though and alone.

You call that a good night? damn I don't know how you guys do to not break the disc. It never happens to me this often. Just today, I have been on RB3 for about 5 hours (it idled for about 2hours) and I did not experienced any of this :|
  • DiamaniacalDiamaniacal Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    10/12/2012 ~ 10:15PM EST Started session got an XMB on the menu after completing a 4 song setlist before I had gotten loaded back into RB3 my partner got booted to XMB this was at 10:40PM could not connect to RCS until 11:03PM when I got reconnected and we reformed while still on the menu after choosing our setlist my partner got XMB'd at 11:08 PM, he reconnected with no problem. We played 3 more songs before the 4th started our session got disconnected, but no xmb but my partner was unable to reconnect to RCS then he got XMB'd sitting on the main screen, could not connect the first time back in, shut the PS3 down, restarted and was able to connect again. Selected a 5 song setlist I got booted to XMB between the 4th and 5th song, reconnected and played the last song and called it a night, not because of the time but just sheer frustration.
    The next night my partner wasn't even willing to try so we played Left for Dead on steam for a bit.

We played a total of 10 songs. While writing this I just discovered that my play count in my initial post is actually inflated because the lines where I noted the XMB's and RCS issues were numbered so it is the play count minus the sum of those.

I guess I will submit a ticket with this data as Henry suggested, but since the issue isn't crippling Blitz and the 2 are intertwined, I doubt they will attempt any tweaks that could have the slightest possibility of affecting Blitz. It is pretty obvious seeing the RCS issues all came roaring back the very session after Blitz was released, at least when I get disconnected in Blitz (and quite frequently might I add) reconnecting is a snap, or at least has been so far.

This is how miserable it was at it worst and never a lot better for 16 months or so leading up to 4/19/2012, if the thread that was discussing this issue had not been done away with I could give an exact date, because I made a scathing post and was warned with a permanent ban because of it but whatever the case may be the very next session there was not the first issue connecting to the RCS and it continued until Black Tuesday when Blitz hit the shelves.
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4905522 said:

I guess I will submit a ticket with this data as Henry suggested, but since the issue isn't crippling Blitz and the 2 are intertwined
    According to Henry in this post.
    They are separate.
    Alternity;4905171 said:
    You call that a good night? damn I don't know how you guys do to not break the disc.
    Because destroying stuff, will not fix stuff... Daniel Son... wax on, Wax off. :D

I'm looking forward to another exciting night tonight...:rolleyes:
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4905768 said:
    According to Henry in this post.
    They are separate.

Yeah I saw that post, I'm still up in the air on it.
    When the issue comes back suddenly (and back with a vengeance) the very session after blitz is released and the first time I played Blitz I got disconnected from the servers 4 or 5 times. The issues may be separate and I appreciate the fact Henry is here and has been responding, for me it is going to take more than a simple statement that the issues are not related.

Henry said they were separate servers, that is such a loose term though. Separate how? Both physically independent of each other, or are they only separated through the use of virtualization technology? What about the network they are ran on, packet loss, collisions, latency, congestion having separate servers means nothing in regards to any of this. Before the servers that each game uses come into play is there an authetication server that provides services for both RB3 and Blitz, and maybe even the rest of the HMX games? Blitz and RB3 are absolutely tied together in some way with Rock Band World. It is hard to accept that it is sheer coincidence that the RCS issues reappear when Blitz emerges and Blitz has RCS issues as well.

It was very difficult to get a ticket submitted, that Parature site does not seem to like my IE or Chrome browser, but I did get a ticket submitted.
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4905768 said:
    Because destroying stuff, will not fix stuff... Daniel Son... wax on, Wax off. :D

I'm looking forward to another exciting night tonight...:rolleyes:

Weirdly this post made me thinking: I will try to cleanup my PS3, as it's been about 2 years I didn't do it, and it must be full of dust. opening it, cleaning it, and changing the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU could reduce this? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. Not talking about the connection issues there, but about the XMB crash. Has anyone did this? did it help?
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4902692 said:
    07-13-12 - 22 songs - 5 XMBs
    07-14-12 - 35 songs - 6 XMBs
    07-20-12 - 19 songs - 7 XMBs
    07-21-12 - 26 songs - 7 XMBs
    07-27-12 - 27 songs - 4 XMBs
    07-28-12 - 33 songs - 6 XMBs
    08-03-12 - 15 songs - 3 XMBs
    08-04-12 - 33 songs - 7 XMBs
    08-10-12 - 23 songs - 6 XMBs
    08-11-12 - 33 songs - 6 XMBs
    08-17-12 - 15 songs - 2 XMBs
    08-18-12 - 28 songs - 5 XMBs
    08-24-12 - 21 songs - 4 XMBs
    08-25-12 - 26 songs - 5 XMBs
    08-31-12 - 15 songs - 3 XMBs
    09-01-12 - 31 songs - 6 XMBs
    09-07-12 - 15 songs - 4 XMBs
    09-08-12 - 28 songs - 6 XMBs
    09-14-12 - 18 songs - 4 XMBs - 3 RCS
    09-15-12 - 24 songs - 5 XMBs - 4 RCS
    09-21-12 - 18 songs - 4 XMBs - 3 RCS
    09-22-12 - 24 songs - 6 XMBs - 5 RCS
    09-28-12 - 13 songs - 3 XMBs - 3 RCS
    08-29-12 - 17 songs - 4 XMBs - 1 RCS (15 mins at start)
    10-05-12 - 6 songs - 3 XMBs - 3 RCS (~1 hr at start then 2 others)
    10-06-20 - 22 songs - 4 XMBs - 2 RCS (~ 5 min at start & on 2nd XMB)

EDITED SONG TOTALS. Originally I neglected to subtract the XMB and RCS count from the play count which it was included in that total.

Have you tried using the PS3 with a different internet provider? If so does it still crash more/less often?
    edited October 2012
    nuttzo31;4906294 said:
    Have you tried using the PS3 with a different internet provider? If so does it still crash more/less often?

ISP has nothing to do with XMB crash.
    edited October 2012
    Played today, for about 10hours, (which the PS3 idled at different times, and for maybe 2-3hours total), After cleaning the PS3 dead open, changing the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU, removed all dust, no trouble at all, no XMB crash, no trouble connecting to the RCS. I don't know if it will fix the crash, or at least having RB3 crash less, but today was good. Played online all day, like usual, with people with tons of DLC. I'll keep updating, and if after a week if I didn't got any crash, this will be pretty self-explainatory. I hope this do the trick, I recommend to everyone to clean the PS3, it can only help.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I play a lot, usually offline. I don't get too many crashes, but it happens for sure. I have all the DLC, and I find when I spend too much time browsing songs, it almost always results in a crash. Seriously, if I spend over a minute or two scrolling through, it's pretty much a given. I suspect it has something to do with constantly trying to retrieve the leaderboard information for each song that I pass. I get it randomly here and there too, but it's usually just from scrolling through songs. This can be particularly annoying when playing with friends who have no idea what songs they want to play, or what's even available.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4906427 said:
    Played today, for about 10hours, (which the PS3 idled at different times, and for maybe 2-3hours total), After cleaning the PS3 dead open, changing the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU, removed all dust, no trouble at all, no XMB crash, no trouble connecting to the RCS. I don't know if it will fix the crash, or at least having RB3 crash less, but today was good. Played online all day, like usual, with people with tons of DLC. I'll keep updating, and if after a week if I didn't got any crash, this will be pretty self-explainatory. I hope this do the trick, I recommend to everyone to clean the PS3, it can only help.

I should note that after my original 60 gig fatty died a while back, I bought a slim right around the time RB3 came out. It may have been a couple of months before, but certainly close. So my PS3 was pretty close to new when RB3 came out, and I'm getting about the same amount of crashes now than I did around the launch of the game. I wonder about whether or not the strength of your internet connection would come into play.
    edited October 2012
    Eh, sorry for the triple post, but I want to add one more thing: As I said, I don't get the crashes nearly as often as others. It is almost always just from scrolling through the songs as I've said. It may be relevant to point out that I'm a night owl, and I work weekends. My work schedule dictates that I'm playing Tuesday through Friday, and generally after 11 p.m. at the earliest (though I do sneak in some afternoon sessions from time to time depending on how early I get up). Could it be that there aren't as many players connected to RBC so late into the night, and that's causing me not experiencing as many crashes as most? I do recall that there was a period last winter where we got some pretty heavy snow storms for a good few days, and schools were being cancelled all across the U.S. I'd played as usual during this period, and suffered an extremely high rate of crashing. I could barely get through 2 or 3 songs between each crash. I wondered at the time if it was caused by an increased number of Rock Band fans staying inside and playing due to the terrible weather outside all across the country. My theory has been that the total number of players connected to the RBC at any given times directly effects the frequency of the crashes. Perhaps too many players being connected causes stability problems?
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4906645 said:
    It is almost always just from scrolling through the songs as I've said.

Most people get the crash while the beginning of the song way more often than browsing. I do get the crash when browsing, but it's when I'm looking through leaderboards for a fairly good ammount of time (20mins, maybe more). I often play with people that tend to crash more than other people, like on every set, or mostly every set. This does not happen to me very often. When I crash it happens once, might happen again in the same day, but it'll be hours later.
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4906628 said:
    I should note that after my original 60 gig fatty died a while back, I bought a slim right around the time RB3 came out. It may have been a couple of months before, but certainly close. So my PS3 was pretty close to new when RB3 came out, and I'm getting about the same amount of crashes now than I did around the launch of the game. I wonder about whether or not the strength of your internet connection would come into play.

Now that I read that again, I remember the 1st time I changed the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU and I found that sony was pretty cheap on it, either that, or it was burned out.
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited October 2012
    Our band have had four so far tonight, each one occurred at the start of the song, just before the vocals came in. Each crash on a different song.
    edited October 2012
    Played 5-6 songs last night.. took 30 mins and 8 tries to connect to RBC, BTW.
    Then CRASH!!!...
    Night over... Didn't want to get aggravated, since yesterday was my Birthday.
    So I played GH:WOR instead, later... LOL :p
    edited October 2012
    On my side, still no crash/RCS since I cleaned up the PS3 and changed the thermal paste. I'll keep updating, but you guys should seriously considering doing this.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4907309 said:
    On my side, still no crash/RCS since I cleaned up the PS3 and changed the thermal paste. I'll keep updating, but you guys should seriously considering doing this.
    This should be done only, if you know what you're doing...but..
    To do this for RB is crazy, especially when it only happens to RB3...
    That is to be honest.. a bit extreme, especially if the system is not that old.
    And again...

This should be done only, if you know what you're doing!!!!
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4907322 said:
    This should be done only, if you know what you're doing...but..
    To do this for RB is crazy, especially when it only happens to RB3...
    That is to be honest.. a bit extreme, especially if the system is not that old.
    And again...

This should be done only, if you know what you're doing!!!!

After one year my system was full of dust, you should AT LEAST open it just to remove the dust, as the PS3 doesn't have much space to breathe in. Also, to anyone reading this: Don't remove the heatsink if you don't have any thermal paste, you can find this at any PC store. Cleaning your system is not extreme, it can only give more life to your console. And to be honest, any one can do this, just be careful with the hardware. lol
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4907336 said:
    After one year my system was full of dust, you should AT LEAST open it just to remove the dust, as the PS3 doesn't have much space to breathe in. Also, to anyone reading this: Don't remove the heatsink if you don't have any thermal paste, you can find this at any PC store. Cleaning your system is not extreme, it can only give more life to your console. And to be honest, any one can do this, just be careful with the hardware. lol

What I ment was it's extreme to do it for RB3, when no other game does this freeze ups, XMB crashes and etc. Plus it will void your warranty.
    Anyways.... till the next report.... :D
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4907366 said:
    What I ment was it's extreme to do it for RB3, when no other game does this freeze ups, XMB crashes and etc. Plus it will void your warranty.
    Anyways.... till the next report.... :D

Warranty is only good for one year, if you didn't renewed it, you aren't voiding anything :P. I certainly don't recommend it if you're still under warranty, but most people are likely not on it anymore. And thus, I even recommended to do it anually regardless if you have problems or not with your console, as you don't want it to die due to overheat because of the dust. most of the PS3s that dies is because of that. I won't even talk about the X360 here, it's even worst.
    edited October 2012
    I am going to clean my PS3, warranty is only a year anyway iirc and it is over and done, I used to upgrade arcade games many moons ago by replacing EPROMS, so this doesn't scare me at all.

I am still almost 100% certain that this will do nothing, I have other games on there that are far more CPU and GPU intensive that don't have issues. If heat were an issue then I would expect to see it in other games yet I only have 2 games on my PS3 that have ever given me any troubles, RB3 and RB Blitz.
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4907450 said:
    I am going to clean my PS3, warranty is only a year anyway iirc and it is over and done, I used to upgrade arcade games many moons ago by replacing EPROMS, so this doesn't scare me at all.

I am still almost 100% certain that this will do nothing, I have other games on there that are far more CPU and GPU intensive that don't have issues. If heat were an issue then I would expect to see it in other games yet I only have 2 games on my PS3 that have ever given me any troubles, RB3 and RB Blitz.

You said it, Brutha... :D
    Now back to our reporting people... :D
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4907450 said:

I didn't had any crash since I did this, and before that I had, at least, one per 2 days. I'm still playing today, Been online for 2 hours now, still no crashes. I don't know if it really has an effect, but it's worth trying in my opinion. Not to mention that Sony does't put much thermal paste, as far as I know.
    edited October 2012
    Only 1 XMB crash.. np connecting to RBC last night.
    Please, please.. I hope this continues...
    We'll see tonight...:D
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Happy belated birthday Int. May you have many many more!

I would like to get the dust out of my ps3 but I am afraid that if I even look at it funny, i would get the ylod. :P
    edited October 2012
    rkbdgurl;4908320 said:
    Happy belated birthday Int. May you have many many more!

I would like to get the dust out of my ps3 but I am afraid that if I even look at it funny, i would get the ylod. :P

Thank you rkbdgurl, made my day.. we must play soon..it would be AWESOME!!! :D
    Party in RB3 tonight & tomorrow night to celebrate my Bday..
    Add me and will play tomorrow.. And I'll play another instrument, so you can play drums. I'm flexible! :D

Now back to the post:
    And like I said before.... I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really feel confident in taking your PS3 apart.
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4908424 said:
    Thank you rkbdgurl, made my day.. we must play soon..it would be AWESOME!!! :D
    Party in RB3 tonight & tomorrow night to celebrate my Bday..
    Add me and will play tomorrow.. And I'll play another instrument, so you can play drums. I'm flexible! :D

Now back to the post:
    And like I said before.... I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really feel confident in taking your PS3 apart.

Just removing the dust doesn't require taking it ''apart'', It only requires you to remove the plastic cover. Then use something to blow off the dust. The only thing that I recommend removing is the fan, so you can clean it properly.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4908434 said:
    Just removing the dust doesn't require taking it ''apart'', It only requires you to remove the plastic cover. Then use something to blow off the dust. The only thing that I recommend removing is the fan, so you can clean it properly.

Oh..that's what you ment.. I thought you were talking about a through cleaning when you mention the heat sink paste.. my bad.

Anyways, any report you have to report?
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4908459 said:
    Oh..that's what you ment.. I thought you were talking about a through cleaning when you mention the heat sink paste.. my bad.

Anyways, any report you have to report?

Aside still no crash since the cleanup nope, no report, everything went very fine!

The termal paste is a good move, but if you never did that, I would recommend having someone who already did this on a PC, or on any consoles, as you have to be carefull with this, but this isn't very hard to do, a child could do that IMHO once you know how to. I mentionned it because I know Sony was cheap and didn't put alot (IMO), I was pretty upset the first time I opened my PS3 and found that there was very little on the CPU/GPU.