PS3 RB3 Rock Central Server issues.

DiamaniacalDiamaniacal Opening Act
I have been keeping documentation of the RCS I have been experiencing that have reappeared in RB3 since Blitz was released.

If you are experiencing RCS connection issues please post them here with the date(s) and time zone.

Let's try to keep it constructive as we have gotten edgy at times (myself included).

Comments

• grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Eh, sorry for the triple post, but I want to add one more thing: As I said, I don't get the crashes nearly as often as others. It is almost always just from scrolling through the songs as I've said. It may be relevant to point out that I'm a night owl, and I work weekends. My work schedule dictates that I'm playing Tuesday through Friday, and generally after 11 p.m. at the earliest (though I do sneak in some afternoon sessions from time to time depending on how early I get up). Could it be that there aren't as many players connected to RBC so late into the night, and that's causing me not experiencing as many crashes as most? I do recall that there was a period last winter where we got some pretty heavy snow storms for a good few days, and schools were being cancelled all across the U.S. I'd played as usual during this period, and suffered an extremely high rate of crashing. I could barely get through 2 or 3 songs between each crash. I wondered at the time if it was caused by an increased number of Rock Band fans staying inside and playing due to the terrible weather outside all across the country. My theory has been that the total number of players connected to the RBC at any given times directly effects the frequency of the crashes. Perhaps too many players being connected causes stability problems?
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4906645 said:
    It is almost always just from scrolling through the songs as I've said.

Most people get the crash while the beginning of the song way more often than browsing. I do get the crash when browsing, but it's when I'm looking through leaderboards for a fairly good ammount of time (20mins, maybe more). I often play with people that tend to crash more than other people, like on every set, or mostly every set. This does not happen to me very often. When I crash it happens once, might happen again in the same day, but it'll be hours later.
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4906628 said:
    I should note that after my original 60 gig fatty died a while back, I bought a slim right around the time RB3 came out. It may have been a couple of months before, but certainly close. So my PS3 was pretty close to new when RB3 came out, and I'm getting about the same amount of crashes now than I did around the launch of the game. I wonder about whether or not the strength of your internet connection would come into play.

Now that I read that again, I remember the 1st time I changed the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU and I found that sony was pretty cheap on it, either that, or it was burned out.
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited October 2012
    Our band have had four so far tonight, each one occurred at the start of the song, just before the vocals came in. Each crash on a different song.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Played 5-6 songs last night.. took 30 mins and 8 tries to connect to RBC, BTW.
    Then CRASH!!!...
    Night over... Didn't want to get aggravated, since yesterday was my Birthday.
    So I played GH:WOR instead, later... LOL :p
    edited October 2012
    On my side, still no crash/RCS since I cleaned up the PS3 and changed the thermal paste. I'll keep updating, but you guys should seriously considering doing this.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4907309 said:
    On my side, still no crash/RCS since I cleaned up the PS3 and changed the thermal paste. I'll keep updating, but you guys should seriously considering doing this.
    This should be done only, if you know what you're doing...but..
    To do this for RB is crazy, especially when it only happens to RB3...
    That is to be honest.. a bit extreme, especially if the system is not that old.
    And again...

This should be done only, if you know what you're doing!!!!
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4907322 said:
    This should be done only, if you know what you're doing...but..
    To do this for RB is crazy, especially when it only happens to RB3...
    That is to be honest.. a bit extreme, especially if the system is not that old.
    And again...

This should be done only, if you know what you're doing!!!!

After one year my system was full of dust, you should AT LEAST open it just to remove the dust, as the PS3 doesn't have much space to breathe in. Also, to anyone reading this: Don't remove the heatsink if you don't have any thermal paste, you can find this at any PC store. Cleaning your system is not extreme, it can only give more life to your console. And to be honest, any one can do this, just be careful with the hardware. lol
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4907336 said:
    After one year my system was full of dust, you should AT LEAST open it just to remove the dust, as the PS3 doesn't have much space to breathe in. Also, to anyone reading this: Don't remove the heatsink if you don't have any thermal paste, you can find this at any PC store. Cleaning your system is not extreme, it can only give more life to your console. And to be honest, any one can do this, just be careful with the hardware. lol

What I ment was it's extreme to do it for RB3, when no other game does this freeze ups, XMB crashes and etc. Plus it will void your warranty.
    Anyways.... till the next report.... :D
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4907366 said:
    What I ment was it's extreme to do it for RB3, when no other game does this freeze ups, XMB crashes and etc. Plus it will void your warranty.
    Anyways.... till the next report.... :D

Warranty is only good for one year, if you didn't renewed it, you aren't voiding anything :P. I certainly don't recommend it if you're still under warranty, but most people are likely not on it anymore. And thus, I even recommended to do it anually regardless if you have problems or not with your console, as you don't want it to die due to overheat because of the dust. most of the PS3s that dies is because of that. I won't even talk about the X360 here, it's even worst.
  • DiamaniacalDiamaniacal Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I am going to clean my PS3, warranty is only a year anyway iirc and it is over and done, I used to upgrade arcade games many moons ago by replacing EPROMS, so this doesn't scare me at all.

I am still almost 100% certain that this will do nothing, I have other games on there that are far more CPU and GPU intensive that don't have issues. If heat were an issue then I would expect to see it in other games yet I only have 2 games on my PS3 that have ever given me any troubles, RB3 and RB Blitz.
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4907450 said:
    I am going to clean my PS3, warranty is only a year anyway iirc and it is over and done, I used to upgrade arcade games many moons ago by replacing EPROMS, so this doesn't scare me at all.

I am still almost 100% certain that this will do nothing, I have other games on there that are far more CPU and GPU intensive that don't have issues. If heat were an issue then I would expect to see it in other games yet I only have 2 games on my PS3 that have ever given me any troubles, RB3 and RB Blitz.

You said it, Brutha... :D
    Now back to our reporting people... :D
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4907450 said:

I didn't had any crash since I did this, and before that I had, at least, one per 2 days. I'm still playing today, Been online for 2 hours now, still no crashes. I don't know if it really has an effect, but it's worth trying in my opinion. Not to mention that Sony does't put much thermal paste, as far as I know.
    edited October 2012
    Only 1 XMB crash.. np connecting to RBC last night.
    Please, please.. I hope this continues...
    We'll see tonight...:D
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Happy belated birthday Int. May you have many many more!

I would like to get the dust out of my ps3 but I am afraid that if I even look at it funny, i would get the ylod. :P
    edited October 2012
    rkbdgurl;4908320 said:
    Happy belated birthday Int. May you have many many more!

I would like to get the dust out of my ps3 but I am afraid that if I even look at it funny, i would get the ylod. :P

Thank you rkbdgurl, made my day.. we must play soon..it would be AWESOME!!! :D
    Party in RB3 tonight & tomorrow night to celebrate my Bday..
    Add me and will play tomorrow.. And I'll play another instrument, so you can play drums. I'm flexible! :D

Now back to the post:
    And like I said before.... I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really feel confident in taking your PS3 apart.
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4908424 said:
    Thank you rkbdgurl, made my day.. we must play soon..it would be AWESOME!!! :D
    Party in RB3 tonight & tomorrow night to celebrate my Bday..
    Add me and will play tomorrow.. And I'll play another instrument, so you can play drums. I'm flexible! :D

Now back to the post:
    And like I said before.... I wouldn't recommend doing this, unless you really feel confident in taking your PS3 apart.

Just removing the dust doesn't require taking it ''apart'', It only requires you to remove the plastic cover. Then use something to blow off the dust. The only thing that I recommend removing is the fan, so you can clean it properly.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4908434 said:
    Just removing the dust doesn't require taking it ''apart'', It only requires you to remove the plastic cover. Then use something to blow off the dust. The only thing that I recommend removing is the fan, so you can clean it properly.

Oh..that's what you ment.. I thought you were talking about a through cleaning when you mention the heat sink paste.. my bad.

Anyways, any report you have to report?
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4908459 said:
    Oh..that's what you ment.. I thought you were talking about a through cleaning when you mention the heat sink paste.. my bad.

Anyways, any report you have to report?

Aside still no crash since the cleanup nope, no report, everything went very fine!

The termal paste is a good move, but if you never did that, I would recommend having someone who already did this on a PC, or on any consoles, as you have to be carefull with this, but this isn't very hard to do, a child could do that IMHO once you know how to. I mentionned it because I know Sony was cheap and didn't put alot (IMO), I was pretty upset the first time I opened my PS3 and found that there was very little on the CPU/GPU.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4908466 said:
    Aside still no crash since the cleanup nope, no report, everything went very fine!

The termal paste is a good move, but if you never did that, I would recommend having someone who already did this on a PC, or on any consoles, as you have to be carefull with this, but this isn't very hard to do, a child could do that IMHO once you know how to. I mentionned it because I know Sony was cheap and didn't put alot (IMO), I was pretty upset the first time I opened my PS3 and found that there was very little on the CPU/GPU.
    Have to love RB3 and now Sony the boloney... LOL
    Have a good weekend... if you want to play tomorrow..hit me up before 7pm. ( I'm booked tonight)
    I have all the Pro-Upgrades if you want to play your ProBass. :D
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4908476 said:
    Have to love RB3 and now Sony the boloney... LOL
    Have a good weekend... if you want to play tomorrow..hit me up before 7pm. ( I'm booked tonight)
    I have all the Pro-Upgrades if you want to play your ProBass. :D

Seriously, just hit me up whenever I am online, good chances are that I'm gonna join you.
  • AstylisAstylis Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    For the last three weekends I have played RB3. Each time I load up the game, it takes an hour to connect to Rock Central. While I haven't timed it, it seems to be almost exactly an hour before connecting.

Oddly, I haven't experienced any crashes in a few months, which I used to get frequently (both while scrolling songs and at the beginning of songs.)
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    This weekend, I've experienced a lot of xmb's while playing with online friends. Also I've had a few instances where I where I was not connected to rkbd servers and had to quit, restart , reload. Then it usually connects. Nothing too horrific, however, it is quite annoying.
    edited October 2012
    Srill haven't experienced any XMB crash since my cleanup! I don't know what to think of this.
    edited October 2012
    I had 4 XMB on Friday night.. 6 times trying to connect to RBC
    I had 5 XMB on Saturday night and 9 times trying to connect to RBC.
    This is playing online with friends.
    :(
    edited October 2012
    10/19 and 10/20 - 2 Experiences more miserable than the previous week.

10/19 partner could not connect to RCS initially, restarting game solved that. Played a 5 song set, I got XMB's between the 4th and 5th song. Played a 7 song set, then partner got XMB'd when we reconnected session I got XMB'd within 1 min. Played 2 more songs and I got XMB'd again could not connect to the RCS from 12:04 AM EST until 12:25 AM EST, resarted the game, multiple times, restarted PS3 once as well. At 12:25 in utter disgust I decided that it just wasn't worth it, we called it a night hoping for a better Saturday session.

10/20 - Not really an better than Friday, feeling like a total jackass for A: buying blitz and B: partaking in the DLC sale, buying content that I can't seem to enjoy, unless I play offline, which simply is not going to happen.
    Once again to start this session my partner had to reboot 2 times to connect to RCS. Played a 5 songs set, started another and partner got booted, he could not connect AGAIN and had to restart then reboot his PS3 to get reconnected, then after we reconnected once again while scrolling through the songs I got XMB'd within a minute or two of reconnecting our session. played a 6 song set. Next set I got booted in the middle of the 1st song, from 11:32 to 11:53 PM I could not reconnect resarting game 2 times and PS3 once, I played a song soloand when I was finished went back to main screen and had reconnected. Played another 5 song set. Next set I got XMB'd on first song at 12:58PM at was unable to connect and never could up until 1:40 AM EST after playing 2 songs solo, rebooting PS3 2 times, going into Blitz and connecting, quitting and back to RB3 still unable to connect. Once again, in disgust I turned my system off.

The response I got from the support portal was absolutely laughable.
    "We are aware of your issues as we monitor the forums and unfortunately have no advice to offer other than what has been posted there."

I did not break the PS3 open this weekend, I got some thermal compound Sunday though and will before trying next week. Thermal compound is not going to do anything to the RCS connection issues. I still doubt that it will have any impact on my XMB's which I am really beginning to think are caused by server timeouts/packet collisions/corrupted data something of that nature.
    edited October 2012
    I know it was stated that this is a peer-to-peer thread and that there would not be the regular official responses in here.
    I guess we have just be given a place to ***** and moan and kick ideas around amongst ourselves, the support portal is bunk this goes beyond a user issue, the unable to connect to RCS is something that has resurfaced, as not really been acknowledged as happening in any official capacity.
  • Cleaver1Cleaver1 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Still having the same issues, and my nights go much like yours Diamaniacal, really frustrating and dis-appointing. I have given up hope basically, and will just play the game less on frustrating nights, until I find another music based fun outlet (Blitz is out of the question).
    edited October 2012
    Cleaver1;4910273 said:
    Still having the same issues, and my nights go much like yours Diamaniacal, really frustrating and dis-appointing. I have given up hope basically, and will just play the game less on frustrating nights, until I find another music based fun outlet (Blitz is out of the question).
    Guitar Hero will be back soon.. LOL :D
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited October 2012
    Our old friend "cant connect to session' resurfaced tonight. We've been fannying about for over an hour now with no luck getting a fb together.

Edit... one hour and a bit later and we still cant play, once or twice we got everyone in but the ghosting was dreadful and everyone got booted anyway. Fun!!!