PS3 RB3 Rock Central Server issues.

DiamaniacalDiamaniacal Opening Act
I have been keeping documentation of the RCS I have been experiencing that have reappeared in RB3 since Blitz was released.

If you are experiencing RCS connection issues please post them here with the date(s) and time zone.

Let's try to keep it constructive as we have gotten edgy at times (myself included).

Comments

• DiamaniacalDiamaniacal Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I am going to compile a list of all users that are experiencing RCS connection issues here. These are users posting in this thread and random I connect to and get a response when I ask. If I ask someone that says they have had no issues connecting to RCS I will of course include them.

Diamaniacal
    Aikixen
    Cleaver1
    Alternity156
    Lawdog1521
    SheSaidSheSaid
    Sgt_Intropee
    Grizzlymaze
    Astylis
    rkbdgurl
    GoDdEsS_LuNa
    Nuttzo31
    JbstormburstADV
    Dangimarocker
    sidawg2
    AllHope1sGone
    BachiG
    Numskull
    curs*
    llamajobuddy*
    gladiators*
    peaches*
    Can-----ller**
    T----c-3**
    An---84**
    Duk---ice21**

* = Username mentioned by a poster in this thread as having problems i.e. a bandmate
    ** - users that I have asked in Random online play 8 players asked, 4 affirm they have been having problems. 4 no response
    edited October 2012
    09-14-12 - 3 RCS
    09-15-12 - 4 RCS
    09-21-12 - 3 RCS
    09-22-12 - 5 RCS
    09-28-12 - 3 RCS
    08-29-12 - 1 RCS (15 mins at start)
    10-05-12 - 3 RCS (~1 hr at start then 2 others)
    10-06-20 - 2 RCS (~ 5 min at start & on 2nd XMB)
  • Cleaver1Cleaver1 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I will add that I feel it seems to happen more frequently when I am with other people with a lot of DLC in common, especially full band with high DLC numbers, don't know if it's related, but seems to be a factor. I also play solo sometimes though and I am a 1 to 5 per night XMB victim as well, the connecting to rock central issue that was fixed some time ago, has also returned in force for me since RB Blitz came out. I often have to re-start the game and/or dis-connect and re-connect to the PSN multiple times before I can connect to the server.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Wow dude your XMB issue is way more intense than mine, I don't have this much crash, or RCS issues. I do have them, but not that frequently that's for sure.
    edited October 2012
    Got booted on the menu after playing a 3 song set at 10:41 PM EST could not connect again to RCS until just now at 11:02 PM EST.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited October 2012
    Mine is usually around once or twice a night. We did around 30 songs tonight and it the XMB happened twice.

Connecting can be an issue sometimes but I've found if I play anyway, it'll allow it to connect after a few songs.
    edited October 2012
    Lawdog1521;4903249 said:
    Mine is usually around once or twice a night. We did around 30 songs tonight and it the XMB happened twice.

Connecting can be an issue sometimes but I've found if I play anyway, it'll allow it to connect after a few songs.

I usually reboot the game once and it connect.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    I get about 1-5 XMB's per month.
    Alternity;4903266 said:
    I usually reboot the game once and it connect.

Yep, same here. It has never happened to me twice in a row, unless the servers are down altogether.
    edited October 2012
    It happened that I needed to reboot several times once, and I got pissed off, and setted the network settings manually and it never happened after. Only one reboot is needed since, so far.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited October 2012
    I don't play online anymore, so I don't get the crash. It usually happens whenever I forget to sign out of the PSN.
  • edited October 2012
    Personally I don't play online either, so I also rarely get the crash... But when I do, over 50% of the time it's on one particular song, the Rbn track No Holy Man.

A few general guidelines for this thread, to keep it on topic and avoid more bans:

- if you have any XMB boot issues, either online or offline, feel free to discuss them here, no matter how frequent/infrequent the issues are.
    - If you have any server connection issues on the PS3, feel free to discuss them here
    - If you don't play on the PS3, you don't really have anything to add to this thread. So please don't.
    - Be excellent to each other.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited October 2012
    For clarification's sake: If I forget to log out of the PSN, I will get a crash within the hour. The XMB crash has caused me to avoid playing the game online. It's unfortunate too, because online was one of my favourite things with RB2.
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Let's see...
    7 times trying different things to connect to RBC on 10-12-12.
    4 XMB crashes that night.

5 tries to connect to RBC on 10-13-12.
    3 XMB crashes that night.

Turned on RB3... FREEZE!! Wth?
    Restart PS3... Start up game... 6 tries to connect to RBC.
    Finally connect... 4 song setlist set.. finished 3rd song and XMB CRASH!!!
    I was done, after that and shutdown the PS3 and called it a night on 10-14-12.

Note: 10-14-12 I was alone, not in a full band.
    edited October 2012
    Fairly weird, 2 days ago I experimented alot of crashes, around 8 in a 6hour session, maybe more than 8 I'm not entirely sure. half of the time I had to reboot the game to connect to RCS, just once, like usual.

The crashes happened at weird spots: The intro video (the first time I booted the game I XMB'd even before pressing start), while browsing songs, while browsing leaderboards, and of course, during the beginning of a song. One of my bandmates freezed when the host accepted the setlist. Yesterday however I did not experimented any bug at all, everything went weirdly fine.
    edited October 2012
    Tonight was a good night..... 10-15-12

3 XMB crashes and 2 tries to connect to RBC... :D
    3 Hours of play though and alone.
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4905130 said:
    Tonight was a good night..... 10-15-12

3 XMB crashes and 2 tries to connect to RBC... :D
    3 Hours of play though and alone.

You call that a good night? damn I don't know how you guys do to not break the disc. It never happens to me this often. Just today, I have been on RB3 for about 5 hours (it idled for about 2hours) and I did not experienced any of this :|
    edited October 2012
    10/12/2012 ~ 10:15PM EST Started session got an XMB on the menu after completing a 4 song setlist before I had gotten loaded back into RB3 my partner got booted to XMB this was at 10:40PM could not connect to RCS until 11:03PM when I got reconnected and we reformed while still on the menu after choosing our setlist my partner got XMB'd at 11:08 PM, he reconnected with no problem. We played 3 more songs before the 4th started our session got disconnected, but no xmb but my partner was unable to reconnect to RCS then he got XMB'd sitting on the main screen, could not connect the first time back in, shut the PS3 down, restarted and was able to connect again. Selected a 5 song setlist I got booted to XMB between the 4th and 5th song, reconnected and played the last song and called it a night, not because of the time but just sheer frustration.
    The next night my partner wasn't even willing to try so we played Left for Dead on steam for a bit.

We played a total of 10 songs. While writing this I just discovered that my play count in my initial post is actually inflated because the lines where I noted the XMB's and RCS issues were numbered so it is the play count minus the sum of those.

I guess I will submit a ticket with this data as Henry suggested, but since the issue isn't crippling Blitz and the 2 are intertwined, I doubt they will attempt any tweaks that could have the slightest possibility of affecting Blitz. It is pretty obvious seeing the RCS issues all came roaring back the very session after Blitz was released, at least when I get disconnected in Blitz (and quite frequently might I add) reconnecting is a snap, or at least has been so far.

This is how miserable it was at it worst and never a lot better for 16 months or so leading up to 4/19/2012, if the thread that was discussing this issue had not been done away with I could give an exact date, because I made a scathing post and was warned with a permanent ban because of it but whatever the case may be the very next session there was not the first issue connecting to the RCS and it continued until Black Tuesday when Blitz hit the shelves.
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4905522 said:

I guess I will submit a ticket with this data as Henry suggested, but since the issue isn't crippling Blitz and the 2 are intertwined
    According to Henry in this post.
    They are separate.
    Alternity;4905171 said:
    You call that a good night? damn I don't know how you guys do to not break the disc.
    Because destroying stuff, will not fix stuff... Daniel Son... wax on, Wax off. :D

I'm looking forward to another exciting night tonight...:rolleyes:
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4905768 said:
    According to Henry in this post.
    They are separate.

Yeah I saw that post, I'm still up in the air on it.
    When the issue comes back suddenly (and back with a vengeance) the very session after blitz is released and the first time I played Blitz I got disconnected from the servers 4 or 5 times. The issues may be separate and I appreciate the fact Henry is here and has been responding, for me it is going to take more than a simple statement that the issues are not related.

Henry said they were separate servers, that is such a loose term though. Separate how? Both physically independent of each other, or are they only separated through the use of virtualization technology? What about the network they are ran on, packet loss, collisions, latency, congestion having separate servers means nothing in regards to any of this. Before the servers that each game uses come into play is there an authetication server that provides services for both RB3 and Blitz, and maybe even the rest of the HMX games? Blitz and RB3 are absolutely tied together in some way with Rock Band World. It is hard to accept that it is sheer coincidence that the RCS issues reappear when Blitz emerges and Blitz has RCS issues as well.

It was very difficult to get a ticket submitted, that Parature site does not seem to like my IE or Chrome browser, but I did get a ticket submitted.
    edited October 2012
    intropee;4905768 said:
    Because destroying stuff, will not fix stuff... Daniel Son... wax on, Wax off. :D

I'm looking forward to another exciting night tonight...:rolleyes:

Weirdly this post made me thinking: I will try to cleanup my PS3, as it's been about 2 years I didn't do it, and it must be full of dust. opening it, cleaning it, and changing the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU could reduce this? I don't know, but I'm going to find out. Not talking about the connection issues there, but about the XMB crash. Has anyone did this? did it help?
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Diamaniacal;4902692 said:
    07-13-12 - 22 songs - 5 XMBs
    07-14-12 - 35 songs - 6 XMBs
    07-20-12 - 19 songs - 7 XMBs
    07-21-12 - 26 songs - 7 XMBs
    07-27-12 - 27 songs - 4 XMBs
    07-28-12 - 33 songs - 6 XMBs
    08-03-12 - 15 songs - 3 XMBs
    08-04-12 - 33 songs - 7 XMBs
    08-10-12 - 23 songs - 6 XMBs
    08-11-12 - 33 songs - 6 XMBs
    08-17-12 - 15 songs - 2 XMBs
    08-18-12 - 28 songs - 5 XMBs
    08-24-12 - 21 songs - 4 XMBs
    08-25-12 - 26 songs - 5 XMBs
    08-31-12 - 15 songs - 3 XMBs
    09-01-12 - 31 songs - 6 XMBs
    09-07-12 - 15 songs - 4 XMBs
    09-08-12 - 28 songs - 6 XMBs
    09-14-12 - 18 songs - 4 XMBs - 3 RCS
    09-15-12 - 24 songs - 5 XMBs - 4 RCS
    09-21-12 - 18 songs - 4 XMBs - 3 RCS
    09-22-12 - 24 songs - 6 XMBs - 5 RCS
    09-28-12 - 13 songs - 3 XMBs - 3 RCS
    08-29-12 - 17 songs - 4 XMBs - 1 RCS (15 mins at start)
    10-05-12 - 6 songs - 3 XMBs - 3 RCS (~1 hr at start then 2 others)
    10-06-20 - 22 songs - 4 XMBs - 2 RCS (~ 5 min at start & on 2nd XMB)

EDITED SONG TOTALS. Originally I neglected to subtract the XMB and RCS count from the play count which it was included in that total.

Have you tried using the PS3 with a different internet provider? If so does it still crash more/less often?
    edited October 2012
    nuttzo31;4906294 said:
    Have you tried using the PS3 with a different internet provider? If so does it still crash more/less often?

ISP has nothing to do with XMB crash.
    edited October 2012
    Played today, for about 10hours, (which the PS3 idled at different times, and for maybe 2-3hours total), After cleaning the PS3 dead open, changing the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU, removed all dust, no trouble at all, no XMB crash, no trouble connecting to the RCS. I don't know if it will fix the crash, or at least having RB3 crash less, but today was good. Played online all day, like usual, with people with tons of DLC. I'll keep updating, and if after a week if I didn't got any crash, this will be pretty self-explainatory. I hope this do the trick, I recommend to everyone to clean the PS3, it can only help.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I play a lot, usually offline. I don't get too many crashes, but it happens for sure. I have all the DLC, and I find when I spend too much time browsing songs, it almost always results in a crash. Seriously, if I spend over a minute or two scrolling through, it's pretty much a given. I suspect it has something to do with constantly trying to retrieve the leaderboard information for each song that I pass. I get it randomly here and there too, but it's usually just from scrolling through songs. This can be particularly annoying when playing with friends who have no idea what songs they want to play, or what's even available.
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4906427 said:
    Played today, for about 10hours, (which the PS3 idled at different times, and for maybe 2-3hours total), After cleaning the PS3 dead open, changing the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU, removed all dust, no trouble at all, no XMB crash, no trouble connecting to the RCS. I don't know if it will fix the crash, or at least having RB3 crash less, but today was good. Played online all day, like usual, with people with tons of DLC. I'll keep updating, and if after a week if I didn't got any crash, this will be pretty self-explainatory. I hope this do the trick, I recommend to everyone to clean the PS3, it can only help.

I should note that after my original 60 gig fatty died a while back, I bought a slim right around the time RB3 came out. It may have been a couple of months before, but certainly close. So my PS3 was pretty close to new when RB3 came out, and I'm getting about the same amount of crashes now than I did around the launch of the game. I wonder about whether or not the strength of your internet connection would come into play.
    edited October 2012
    Eh, sorry for the triple post, but I want to add one more thing: As I said, I don't get the crashes nearly as often as others. It is almost always just from scrolling through the songs as I've said. It may be relevant to point out that I'm a night owl, and I work weekends. My work schedule dictates that I'm playing Tuesday through Friday, and generally after 11 p.m. at the earliest (though I do sneak in some afternoon sessions from time to time depending on how early I get up). Could it be that there aren't as many players connected to RBC so late into the night, and that's causing me not experiencing as many crashes as most? I do recall that there was a period last winter where we got some pretty heavy snow storms for a good few days, and schools were being cancelled all across the U.S. I'd played as usual during this period, and suffered an extremely high rate of crashing. I could barely get through 2 or 3 songs between each crash. I wondered at the time if it was caused by an increased number of Rock Band fans staying inside and playing due to the terrible weather outside all across the country. My theory has been that the total number of players connected to the RBC at any given times directly effects the frequency of the crashes. Perhaps too many players being connected causes stability problems?
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4906645 said:
    It is almost always just from scrolling through the songs as I've said.

Most people get the crash while the beginning of the song way more often than browsing. I do get the crash when browsing, but it's when I'm looking through leaderboards for a fairly good ammount of time (20mins, maybe more). I often play with people that tend to crash more than other people, like on every set, or mostly every set. This does not happen to me very often. When I crash it happens once, might happen again in the same day, but it'll be hours later.
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4906628 said:
    I should note that after my original 60 gig fatty died a while back, I bought a slim right around the time RB3 came out. It may have been a couple of months before, but certainly close. So my PS3 was pretty close to new when RB3 came out, and I'm getting about the same amount of crashes now than I did around the launch of the game. I wonder about whether or not the strength of your internet connection would come into play.

Now that I read that again, I remember the 1st time I changed the thermal paste on the CPU and the GPU and I found that sony was pretty cheap on it, either that, or it was burned out.
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited October 2012
    Our band have had four so far tonight, each one occurred at the start of the song, just before the vocals came in. Each crash on a different song.
    edited October 2012
    Played 5-6 songs last night.. took 30 mins and 8 tries to connect to RBC, BTW.
    Then CRASH!!!...
    Night over... Didn't want to get aggravated, since yesterday was my Birthday.
    So I played GH:WOR instead, later... LOL :p