Completing A Garage Band: A List Of All Cover Songs

ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
Haven't seen anybody make one of these, so I figured I would. I'm sure some people will be shocked to see some of these songs on here, such as Janis Joplin or maybe even Smash Mouth. I'm still debating how I want to portray certain songs, such as Roy Orbison's "Dream Baby". Although he didn't write it, he was the first to perform it so its technically not a cover. Please feel free to give me your opinion on the matter, as well as songs I will have forgotten. (I know I've forgotten The Beatles and Jerry Naylor, I'm aware of the key ones.)

Aerosmith -- Train Kept A Rollin (Released Nov 20, 2007) [Originally by Tiny Bradshaw (Released Dec 1951)]
The Clash -- I Fought The Law (Released Dec 11, 2007)
[Originally by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets (Released in 1958)]
The Black Crowes -- Hard To Handle (Released Jan 1, 2008) [Originally by Otis Redding (Released in June 1968)]
Blondie -- Hanging On A Telephone (Released May 13, 2008) [Written by Jack Lee, Performed by The Nerves (Released in 1976)]
The Who -- Summertime Blues (Released July 15, 2008) [Originally by Eddie Cochran (Released July 21, 1958)]
The Who -- Young Man Blues (Released July 15, 2008) [Originally by Mose Allison]
The Muffs -- Kids In America (Released Sept 14, 2008) [Originally by Kim Wilde (Released Jan 26, 1981)]
Megadeth -- I Ain't Superstitious (Released Sept 16, 2008) [Originally by Willie Dixon, Performed by Howlin' Wolf (Released Dec 1961)]
Red Hot Chili Peppers -- They're Red Hot (Released Sep 30) [Originally By Robert Johnson (Released July 1937)]
No Doubt -- It's My Life (Released Dec 9, 2008) [Originally by Talk Talk (Released Jan 1984)]
Roy Orbison -- Mean Woman Blues (Released Jan 6, 2009) [Originally by Claude Demetrius, Performed by Elvis Presley (July 9, 1957)]
Alien Ant Farm -- Smooth Criminal (Released May 5, 2009) [Originally by Michael Jackson (Released Aug 31, 1987)]
Social Distortion -- Ring Of Fire (Released May 12, 2009) [Originally by June Carter and Merle Kilgore, Performed by Anita Carter (Released in 1963)]
Billy Idol -- Mony Mony (Released Aug 25, 2009) [Originally by Tommy James & The Shondells]
Talking Heads -- Take Me To The River (Released Sept 1, 2009) [Originally by Al Green (Released Oct 2, 1974)]
The Beatles -- Boys (Released Sept 9, 2009) [Originally by The Shirelles (Released Nov 1960)]
The Beatles -- Twist And Shout (ReleasedSept 9, 2009) [Originally by Bert Russell and Phil Medley, Performed by The Top Notes (Released by the Isley Brothers June 16, 1962)]
Everlife -- Real Wild Child (Released Nov 3, 2009) [Originally by Johnny O'Keefe)
Korn -- Word Up (Released Nov 3, 2009) [Originally by Cameo]
Rascal Flatts -- Life Is A Highway (Released Nov 3, 2009) [Originally by Tom Cochrane]
Neil Peart -- The Hockey Theme (Released March 9, 2010) [Written by Dolores Claman, Orchestrated by Jerry Toth (Released in 1968)]
Eric Cartman -- Poker Face (Released March 16, 2010) [Originally by Lady Gaga (August 16, 2008)]
Creedence Clearwater Revival -- I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Released July 6, 2010) [Originally by Marvin Gaye]
Reba McEntire -- Fancy (Released Aug 31, 2010) [Written and Performed by Bobbie Gentry (Released November 1969)]
The Jimi Hendrix Experience -- Hey Joe (Released Oct 12, 2010) [Originally by The Leaves]
Joan Jett -- I Love Rock N Roll (Released Oct 26, 2010) [Written by Arows (Released in 1975)]
Johnny Cash -- Ring of Fire (Released Nov 2010) [Written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore, Performed by Anita Carter (Released in 1963)]
The Clash -- Brand New Cadillac (Released Feb 1, 2011) [Originally by Vince Taylor]
The Clash -- Wrong 'Em Boyo (Rleased Feb 1, 2011) [Originally by The Rulers]
The Clash -- Revolution Rock (Released Feb 1, 2011) [Originally by Danny Ray & The Revolutionaries]
Santana -- Black Magic Woman (Released March 29, 2011) [Written by Peter Green, Performed by Fleetwood Mac (Released January 1969)]
Grand Funk Railroad -- The Loco-Motion (Released April 5, 2011) [Originally by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Performed by Little Eva]
Janis Joplin & The Full Tilt Boogie -- Me & Bobby McGee (Released Sept 13, 2011) [Originally by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster, Performed by Roger Miller]
Reba McEntire -- The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia (Released Nov 8, 2011) [Originally by Bobby Russell, Performed by Vicki Lawrence]
The Jimi Hendrix Experience -- All Along The Watchtower (Dec 20, 2011) [Originally by Bob Dylan]
Creedence Clearwater Revival -- Susie Q (Released July24, 2012) [Originally by Dale Hawkins]
Smash Mouth -- Why Can't We Be Friends? (Released Sept 18, 2012) [Originally by War]
Smash Mouth -- Can't Get Enough Of You Baby (Released Sept 18, 2012) [Originally by Denny Randell and Sandy Linzer, Performed byThe Toys (Released 1966)]
Save Ferris -- Come On Eileen (October 12, 2012) [Originally Dexys Midnight Runners]

Comments

• ClaptonsWigClaptonsWig I Can't Dance
    edited October 2012
    LuigiHann;4902772 said:
    Nice thread. It'd be neat if you threw in the release year of the songs (original and cover) for comparison, too

Good idea, let me finish hounding up The Beatles first, and I'll add them too.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I got corrected on this, so I need to spread the word: "Can't Get Enough Of You Baby" was written by Denny Randell and Sandy Linzer, first recorded by The Toys, then The Four Seasons, then ? and the Mysterians.
    edited October 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4902777 said:
    I got corrected on this, so I need to spread the word: "Can't Get Enough Of You Baby" was written by Denny Randell and Sandy Linzer, first recorded by The Toys, then The Four Seasons, then ? and the Mysterians.

Fixed, and still looking at The Beatles list. I could of swore we had 3 cover songs, but I'm only seeing two.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    CAKE -- I Will Survive [Originally by Gloria Gaynor (Released Oct 23, 1978)]

Oh, wait, my dream hasn't come true yet. Nevermind.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Eric Cartman's "Poker Face"?

I suppose Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" isn't *entirely* a cover of Joe Satriani's "If I Could Fly..."
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Nice! I was thinking about if one of these threads was made earlier today and you just read my mind!
    edited October 2012
    thatmarkguy;4902841 said:
    Eric Cartman's "Poker Face"?

I suppose Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" isn't *entirely* a cover of Joe Satriani's "If I Could Fly..."

It wasn't when they wrote it, but the similarities are there. Sucks to be them is all I can say. Added Cartman though.
    Mileycyrussoulja;4902858 said:
    Nice! I was thinking about if one of these threads was made earlier today and you just read my mind!

Long as we got one, its good.
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Neil Peart - The Hockey Theme is an oft overlooked cover of a Canadian classic.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Blondie's "Hanging On A Telephone" (1978) is a cover of the obscure gem by power-pop group The Nerves, originally released in 1976. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc
  • HamKetHamKet Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Some people might argue that even though they wrote it, The Beatles' version of "I Wanna Be Your Man" is a cover of the Rolling Stones' version.

But those people would be crazy.
    edited October 2012
    ZigZag2005;4902921 said:
    Neil Peart - The Hockey Theme is an oft overlooked cover of a Canadian classic.
    Runesmith;4902941 said:
    Blondie's "Hanging On A Telephone" (1978) is a cover of the obscure gem by power-pop group The Nerves, originally released in 1976. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc
    Will edit these in when I get around to, thank you
    HamKet;4902946 said:
    Some people might argue that even though they wrote it, The Beatles' version of "I Wanna Be Your Man" is a cover of the Rolling Stones' version.

But those people would be crazy.

Yeah, they're probably the same people who believe The Stones wrote a lot of their stuff when they first started. They never covered/stole the blues and jazz songs, ever.
  • NoVisAnimaNoVisAnima Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    How about "I love rock and roll" which was originally by The Arrows
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited October 2012
    Both of Reba's songs in Rock Band are covers. Her song Fancy is a cover originally by Bobbie Gentry
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    "Twist and Shout" isn't originally by the Isley Brothers. It was originally written and performed by The Top Notes, and was produced by a young and inexperienced Phil Spector. The Top Notes hated Spector's production, so much that Bert Russell, the original writer of the song agreed to let the Isley Brothers to cover it on the condition that he personally produced it and prove what it was "supposed" to sound like. The Isley Brothers version made the Top 40, proving Russell was right all along... before The Beatles went and ruined everything by doing their own take on the minor hit and obliterated any chance of the Bert Russell version being remembered by history.

So Phil Spector's crappy production not only pissed off a songwriter with his treatment of the Beatles' last album, but his crappy production also pissed off a songwriter that helped lead to the success of the Beatles' first album. The beat goes on.
  • RetrokaiserRetrokaiser Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Ring of Fire - Both the Social Distortion and Johnny Cash versions were originally recorded by Anita Carter.
    edited October 2012
    Fixed up some more, still working up the will to edit in the release dates for the ones I did prior lol
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited October 2012
    Great idea for a thread! Thanks.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Take Me to the River- Talking Heads (Originally by Al Green)
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    black magic woman - santana (original by fleetwood mac)
    edited October 2012
    hiimSMAP;4904861 said:
    Take Me to the River- Talking Heads (Originally by Al Green)
    topdrawer;4904944 said:
    black magic woman - santana (original by fleetwood mac)

Adding now, and the best years of Fleetwood Mac. Too bad well never see then in RB.
  • RetrokaiserRetrokaiser Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Ohh can't believe I forgot about these ones.

Thomas Walker's covers of
    - The Entertainer - Originally written and performed by Scott Joplin - 1902
    - Gymnopedie No.1 - Originally written and performed by Erik Satie - 1887
    - Piano Sonata No.14 Moonlight Sonata - Originally written and performed by Ludwig Van (halen :P) Beethoven - 1801
    - Piano Sonata No.11 Ronda Alla Turca - Originally written and performed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - 1783

Note: All Thomas Walker covers were done in 2011.

And to all those that did Flight of the Bumblebee:

Flight of the Bumblebee - Originally written and performed by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - 1900

Covered by
    Thomas Walker as (Rimsky-Korsakov Piano Version) - 2011
    Paul Henry Smith & The Fauxharmonic Orchestra as Flight of the Bumblebee (Rimsky-Korsakov) - 2009
    Tina Guo as Queen Bee - 2011
    edited October 2012
    Retrokaiser;4905065 said:
    Ohh can't believe I forgot about these ones.

Thomas Walker's covers of
    - The Entertainer - Originally written and performed by Scott Joplin - 1902
    - Gymnopedie No.1 - Originally written and performed by Erik Satie - 1887
    - Piano Sonata No.14 Moonlight Sonata - Originally written and performed by Ludwig Van (halen :P) Beethoven - 1801
    - Piano Sonata No.11 Ronda Alla Turca - Originally written and performed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - 1783

Note: All Thomas Walker covers were done in 2011.

And to all those that did Flight of the Bumblebee:

Flight of the Bumblebee - Originally written and performed by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov - 1900

Covered by
    Thomas Walker as (Rimsky-Korsakov Piano Version) - 2011
    Paul Henry Smith & The Fauxharmonic Orchestra as Flight of the Bumblebee (Rimsky-Korsakov) - 2009
    Tina Guo as Queen Bee - 2011

Haven't started adding RBN yet, been lazy d:
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited October 2012
    oh one I am surprised you forgot is "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" by Great White with the original being by Ian Hunter
    edited October 2012
    firedoom666;4905300 said:
    oh one I am surprised you forgot is "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" by Great White with the original being by Ian Hunter

My stupid should never be underestimated.
    edited October 2012
    By the way, you're wrong on the original artist of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine". It was originally by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Marvin Gaye just made it popular.
    edited October 2012
    Mileycyrussoulja;4913929 said:
    By the way, you're wrong on the original artist of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine". It was originally by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Marvin Gaye just made it popular.
    ClaptonsWig;4905311 said:
    My stupid should never be underestimated.

This should explain it
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited October 2012
    I find it amusing that 2 of those songs are actually covers (in game) of covers (by the band imitated).
    edited November 2012
    Mileycyrussoulja;4913929 said:

Actually wait no, it was actually first done by Gladys Knight & the Pips, my bad. Smokey Robinson's version was rejected by the label at first, according to Wikipedia, and Gladys Knight's version got accepted.

Also dammit, he got banned again!
  • edited November 2012
    Mileycyrussoulja;4920278 said:
    Actually wait no, it was actually first done by Gladys Knight & the Pips, my bad. Smokey Robinson's version was rejected by the label at first, according to Wikipedia, and Gladys Knight's version got accepted.

Also dammit, he got banned again!
    Yeah this time for 6 months so feel free to reboot any of his collection threads.