Is MasterMO real?

thjimmythjimmy Road Warrior
edited January 2013 in Rock Band Blitz
Every time I try and compare my performance to the top score on a song, it seems MasterMO is there.

MasterMO is usually #1 and has a score 150%-200% of the #2 score. It's tough to trust the leaderboards when there is such a significant outlier at the top.

Is someone really that good or is there something else going on?

Comments

• zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Why would anyone question if scores are not legit in this game? With good jackpot/flame or pinball you can easily get unreachable scores that are not normally obtainable with blast notes.

Chiron is possible to get over 700k
    Caprici Di Diablo is possible to get over 1 million(i got close and top player or two on 360 did break it)
    You can DOUBLE the GS cut-off score on Cult of Personality

With a good combination of skill and abusing power ups you can get really crazy scores, and yes they are all legitimate. Usually if someone is always at the top of the leaderboards on most songs, they are probably legit. MaximusDM has absurd scores on songs on PS3, but he is completely legit. If someone has doubled the score of 2nd on 1 song and have terrible scores on every other song, then that validity of that score can be questioned.

And before anyone on PS3 questions MY scores are legit on some songs? They are.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    zage1337;4906671 said:
    Why would anyone question if scores are not legit in this game? With good jackpot/flame or pinball you can easily get unreachable scores that are not normally obtainable with blast notes.

Chiron is possible to get over 700k
    Caprici Di Diablo is possible to get over 1 million(i got close and top player or two on 360 did break it)
    You can DOUBLE the GS cut-off score on Cult of Personality

With a good combination of skill and abusing power ups you can get really crazy scores, and yes they are all legitimate. Usually if someone is always at the top of the leaderboards on most songs, they are probably legit. MaximusDM has absurd scores on songs on PS3, but he is completely legit. If someone has doubled the score of 2nd on 1 song and have terrible scores on every other song, then that validity of that score can be questioned.

And before anyone on PS3 questions MY scores are legit on some songs? They are.

I agree that you can get some serious scores on Blitz (Haven't played a lot, but I saw the potential). however I can understand people questionning scores, as I have been questionning some scores on RB3 leaderboards. (That 95% on expert on Veil of Illumination (Part 2) for example).
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4906673 said:
    I agree that you can get some serious scores on Blitz (Haven't played a lot, but I saw the potential). however I can understand people questionning scores, as I have been questionning some scores on RB3 leaderboards. (That 95% on expert on Veil of Illumination (Part 2) for example).

RB3 is different though. Besides overdrive usage and FCing it. There really is no other way of achieving huge scoring differences. And yeah the 95% on VoI Pt 2 gives it away that the score is fake and a bot, especially when you look at that user's profile on rockbandscores.com.

Blitz on the other hand allows you to get 200-300k above a run where you get 100% on all instruments based on how the mechanics work. So most absurd scores can look fake when they are in fact legit.
  • iamchris4lifeiamchris4life Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    Skilled player + Jackpot + Flame notes = vastly outlying 1st place scores, i.e. look at all my 1st place scores for the Xbox 360 Blitz songs
    edited October 2012
    iamchris4life;4907089 said:
    Skilled player + Jackpot + Flame notes = vastly outlying 1st place scores, i.e. look at all my 1st place scores for the Xbox 360 Blitz songs

Everyone knows you're good. Don't need to brag it up :P I'd like to see you try pro instruments though (except pro drums and harmonies)
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    zage1337;4906671 said:
    Usually if someone is always at the top of the leaderboards on most songs, they are probably legit. MaximusDM has absurd scores on songs on PS3, but he is completely legit. If someone has doubled the score of 2nd on 1 song and have terrible scores on every other song, then that validity of that score can be questioned.

This I don't think is necessarily true. If someone finds a form of cheating (be it turbo-controller, programmable-controller, intercepting/spoofing/hacking score report packets, what have you), they could very well use it on every song they've played. There's no reason to believe a cheat would isolate his cheating to one song.

On the other hand, one outlying high score might just be the result of one ridiculously lucky run. I can speak for myself - I've had one SuperGS run on Stronger that is ridiculously out of line with the rest of my scores. I didn't cheat - I just had an insane streak of successful pinball tracking that I very likely will never duplicate.
  • iamchris4lifeiamchris4life Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4907151 said:
    Everyone knows you're good. Don't need to brag it up :P I'd like to see you try pro instruments though (except pro drums and harmonies)
    But I did have a point. Anyways, I got RB3 Pro Keys when it was released, FC'd Bohemian Rhapsody in a week, then stopped playing after that
    thatmarkguy;4907171 said:
    This I don't think is necessarily true. If someone finds a form of cheating (be it turbo-controller, programmable-controller, intercepting/spoofing/hacking score report packets, what have you), they could very well use it on every song they've played. There's no reason to believe a cheat would isolate his cheating to one song.

On the other hand, one outlying high score might just be the result of one ridiculously lucky run. I can speak for myself - I've had one SuperGS run on Stronger that is ridiculously out of line with the rest of my scores. I didn't cheat - I just had an insane streak of successful pinball tracking that I very likely will never duplicate.

I really hope a culture of pinball tracking (centered around ignoring the notes to keep the pinball active) doesn't develop
  • Pime_Taradox234Pime_Taradox234 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I don't think I'll ever master using jackpot and flame notes together. I break my streak so much trying this combo, just trying to get that flame note 2 tracks over, and in the end f**king up the jackpot. >:U
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    This thread reminds me of the days when I would be called a "botter" in UT '99 since I could headshot from across the map. (which, funny enough, wasn't even that elite of a skill compared to the pros of the game) Those were good times.

I'm just happy to get a top 10 in this game. Kudos to you guys who can get high scores with pinball/jackpot/flame. That's good stuff.
    edited October 2012
    iamchris4life;4907192 said:
    But I did have a point. Anyways, I got RB3 Pro Keys when it was released, FC'd Bohemian Rhapsody in a week, then stopped playing after that

Nice job. But that's sad that you stopped, it's so fun, and you learn the thing for real! :|
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I tend to get decently high scores with blast notes and rockets. I've even came close a few times to taking the #1 spot on songs
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    iamchris4life;4907192 said:

I really hope a culture of pinball tracking (centered around ignoring the notes to keep the pinball active) doesn't develop

this actually got me thinking.
    since you can use 2 controllers at the same time. what if some people out there use pinball, and 1 guy follows the pinball while the other just concentrates on the notes?
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Alternity;4907261 said:
    Nice job. But that's sad that you stopped, it's so fun, and you learn the thing for real! :|
    This reminds me that actually putting my shoulder into learning Pro Keys in RB3 is pretty close to the top of things I want to do before I die. The problem was that I had so much content to play through on all the instruments and was so addicted to Pro Drums that I just didn't have the time unless I completely stopped playing other games. I actually bought a Squier too, but sadly realized I just wouldn't have the dedication to be able to put it to good use, so I returned it so a more rightful owner could have it. I've since picked up a cheap Mustang and have enjoyed messing with it once in a while, but I can't even play it competently on Medium.

And now Blitz has completely sunk its hooks into me, so it seems unlikely that I'll be able to get around to Pro instruments anytime soon...but I suppose that's a good problem to have. At least I know as long as I have a working PS3, I'll never be bored again.
    edited October 2012
    Epsilon82;4907494 said:
    This reminds me that actually putting my shoulder into learning Pro Keys in RB3 is pretty close to the top of things I want to do before I die. The problem was that I had so much content to play through on all the instruments and was so addicted to Pro Drums that I just didn't have the time unless I completely stopped playing other games. I actually bought a Squier too, but sadly realized I just wouldn't have the dedication to be able to put it to good use, so I returned it so a more rightful owner could have it. I've since picked up a cheap Mustang and have enjoyed messing with it once in a while, but I can't even play it competently on Medium.

And now Blitz has completely sunk its hooks into me, so it seems unlikely that I'll be able to get around to Pro instruments anytime soon...but I suppose that's a good problem to have. At least I know as long as I have a working PS3, I'll never be bored again.

Well, I've gotten around pro bass around one month ago, I've managed to get 6 GS as for now, I have never touched strings in my life. As for pro keys, it's even easier to learn, if you want an advice, especially for pro keys: Find a hard song (impossible tier if possible) that you truly want to learn, and either do the trainer on expert, or expert + no-fail over and over, and you'll get it no time, then it's really easier to learn the other stuff, depending on the song you choose to learn, of course. I find it easier to learn this way because on the lower difficulty the finger placement isn't the real one, it gets confusing when you try to play on harder difficulties. As for pro bass, well, I'm still struggling myself even trying that, I can manage to do relatively good on songs that aren't so hard, and strangely, I've managed to 5 star Crazy Train, while I barely 3 starred Walking on the Sun, so I have no idea what the tier means, or if I'm just weird.
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4907492 said:
    since you can use 2 controllers at the same time. what if some people out there use pinball, and 1 guy follows the pinball while the other just concentrates on the notes?

Hah, I need to try that eventually. Just for the hell of it.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4907492 said:

If that is actually possible I think you might have found a way to completely break the game
    edited December 2012
    The reason why I am bumping this thread.

Check the the top score on Bang Your Head (Metal Health), These Days and Cult of Personality on the 360 leaderboards. His other scores still look plausible but BYH...

I am no longer convinced that he is real. Or he has found a serious exploit in the game. Even amazing twitch skill can't net you those scores.
  • rsm790rsm790 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Yeah some of his scores I've seen don't seem possible without some kind of exploit or something
    edited December 2012
    well another top player on ps3 and I tested some of those songs. I can confirm that MasterMO's Bang Your Head score is impossible. even when I had flame notes for nearly the whole song I ended up with 772k which is 2nd to MasterMO's 1.2 million.

These Days might be possible. getting over a million on these days is possible with band/flame.
  • MrPersonMrPerson Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    He has around 800,000 on Buddy Holly if I remember correctly.
    How do you even...
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited December 2012
    MasterMo;4906654 said:
    I'd like to assure you that all of my scores are completely legitimate. What would I have to gain from cheating the leaderboards? That would be no fun!

After some testing, I believe it's true that your scores are "legitimate," and I can duplicate/better some of the outrageous scores you get. However, that doesn't make the scores any less cheap given the method being used. You say cheating the leaderboards would be no fun, yet I'm not sure how using this exploit (yes, it's clearly an exploit) to top the leaderboards is any different. After testing a few songs, I'm certainly not going to continue using the exploit, and I'll let you keep the number one spot for whatever songs you played this way since there's no value or accomplishment in getting #1 when you have to use an exploit like that.
    edited December 2012
    Magnet;4939710 said:
    After some testing, I believe it's true that your scores are "legitimate," and I can duplicate/better some of the outrageous scores you get. However, that doesn't make the scores any less cheap given the method being used. You say cheating the leaderboards would be no fun, yet I'm not sure how using this exploit (yes, it's clearly an exploit) to top the leaderboards is any different. After testing a few songs, I'm certainly not going to continue using the exploit, and I'll let you keep the number one spot for whatever songs you played this way since there's no value or accomplishment in getting #1 when you have to use an exploit like that.

If it's just band/flame or jack/flame then i don't see them being cheap. However on Bang Your Head (Metal Health)..a typical good band/flame or jack/flame score will net you in the 600k range and a really really amazing run will give you in the high 700k range. Not 1.2 million..

All my setlist 1sts where achieved mostly with jack flame or good juggling with powerups and good OD usage
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited December 2012
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Jackpot or Flame Notes
  • MasterMoMasterMo Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Boy, this escalated...
    HeyRiles;4939965 said:
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Jackpot or Flame Notes

You are half right. It has nothing to do with Jackpot. Hell, I'm terrible with jackpot when it comes to switching lanes. All my cross-platform first place scores - all 400 of them - come from Bandmate/Flame.

Let me explain the science behind my strategy. As you all know, each flame note you hit means another flame note appears on two lanes. To keep flame notes spreading indefinitely, you can ignore one track entirely if you can hit every flame note that appears on all of the rest. Putting down bandmate takes care of one track. On a five-lane song, you still need to jump around quite a bit. But on four lane songs, where most of my top scores come from, two lanes isn't too difficult to manage.

See, the timing window for notes in this game is pretty huge. Huge enough that it's pretty easy to hit a note, switch lanes, and hit an adjacent note. I believe this is a strategy many jackpot players use to safely switch lanes. I do (or at least try, on more complex songs) that repeatedly between two lanes, and hit every single note in those two lanes.

That's the beauty of the strategy. I'm not reacting to flame notes. It doesn't require "amazing twitch skill." All I'm doing is following a pattern and letting the flames land where they do, knowing that as long as my bandmate is active and I can hit every note in the two lanes I'm playing, flame notes won't ever stop spreading. If that constitutes an exploit, then so be it. But abusing timing windows in past games has never been considered illegitimate (see: squeezing), so why would it be here?

Now if you will excuse me, I have a class presentation to give in three hours and responding to these accusations has distracted me from my preparations for that.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Well, I'm glad your "strategy," that amounts to little more than reducing the game to button mashing, is out there now. Now the four-lane leaderboards can be entirely pointless for those that don't find having hand seizures to be much fun.
    edited December 2012
    MasterMo;4939985 said:

That's the beauty of the strategy. I'm not reacting to flame notes. It doesn't require "amazing twitch skill."
    Well 4 lane songs are now completely pointless.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited December 2012
    That sounds kind of like snaking in Mario Kart (at least DS, the last one I played) in that it completely changes the game to button-mashing that's not even remotely fun to play.
  • MasterMoMasterMo Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Except it's not button mashing. I know exactly what I'm doing. I've, according to my Raptr account, logged 152 hours into the game, and I've spent the vast majority of that time practicing and perfecting this technique. It is quite exhausting, physically and mentally, but so is getting an FC on a tough song in the main series. If it was as easy to accomplish as button mashing, I sure as hell wouldn't be the only one able to post these high of scores.

Be bitter if you want, I guess. It's not going to change the way I play the game.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited December 2012
    I remember having to do this on a score war for The Kids Aren't Alright. It wasn't fun and there was nothing rewarding about it

I actually thought you were using Pinball and Synchrony and abusing the hit boxes by switching lanes really quickly, but I actually don't know if the pinball even has a hit box
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited December 2012
    MasterMo;4940030 said:
    If it was as easy to accomplish as button mashing, I sure as hell wouldn't be the only one able to post these high of scores.

You're not anymore. I beat your insanely high scores on three songs my first try each using this "strategy." It is most definitely as easy as button mashing. (It's also not fun at all.)
    MasterMo;4940030 said:
    Be bitter if you want, I guess. It's not going to change the way I play the game.

It's not really a matter of being bitter or wanting you to change how you play the game. I was fine with just ignoring your scores. The problem is that now that your "strategy" is out there, eventually the only way to get a #1 score on a 4-lane song will be to use the button mashing exploit.

I honestly don't know how you have fun or get any sense of accomplishment from the way you're playing, but clearly the game lets the player do it, so there's nothing stopping you if it makes you happy. I'm not so sure "squeezing" was the best analogy to use though. I think the pause countdown exploit in RB3 is a much more fitting comparison.