Does it disappoint you to recognize a voice actor?

SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Maybe this won't make sense. But I've been playing the Assassin's Creed series the last month or so to get ready for AC3 in about a week and a half, and I can't help but notice they have the same 6 or 7 people voicing all the roles. (Or so it seems) The performances themselves aren't half-bad, but I can't stop myself from saying "Oh, that's the same guy who voiced Malik in AC1," or "What's Cesare Borgia doing in Syria? I thought I killed him already."

Contrast it to something like The Simpsons and, well, do Apu, Superintendent Chalmers, and Cletus sound anything alike? They're all Hank Azaria.

I'm sure this can extend to other works that are in some way animated (Family Guy, hullo), but it's been on my mind lately playing AC. Does this ever bug you at all, when you can tell who's behind a voice?

Comments

• HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited October 2012
    It's amusing. There are a TON of VAs in Borderlands and Blands 2, and at least a dozen of them I can recognize immediately as main characters and villains from the One Piece dub (aside from Lilith, whose VA uses a drastically different voice in One Piece, but if you watch one of many other Funimation dubs [Fairy Tail, Deadman Wonderland, Panty & Stocking, Cat Planet Cuties, Steins;gate, etc, etc, etc], you can pick out her voice immediately)
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Of course not. If I recognize a voice, I usually allude to it by yelling out the voice actor's names. This tends to happen much more with anime dubs, though I don't tend to watch those much (i prefer subs).
  • edited October 2012
    In The Venture Bros, aside from the main cast and most females, every voice is the two creators of the show. It's really noticeable with Doc Hammer. Every voice sounds like a variation of 21.

It doesn't bother me. I actually think it's funny. In the commentary on one of the episodes they mention how it's hard for the to get voice actors so they end up just doing it themselves.
  • dragoninforcerdragoninforcer UnWashed
    edited October 2012
    John Viener voices almost every other character in Family Guy and it's the same exact voice every time.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    i thought every voice in every game was done by Nolan North :|
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4909629 said:

*looks him up*

WHAT THE **** THIS MAN HAS BEEN IN EVERY GAME EVER
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2012
    I don't recognize any voice actor ever.

Somebody had to tell me Meg was Jackie from That 70s Show, and that blew my mind.
    edited October 2012
    Cipher_Peon;4909643 said:
    I don't recognize any voice actor ever.

Somebody had to tell me Meg was Jackie from That 70s Show, and that blew my mind.
    Not Season 1 Meg.
  • Cipher_PeonCipher_Peon I don't get it at all
    edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    Lois is Ms. Swan. You probably didn't watch Mad TV though.

The guy that voices Joe is in like everything ever.
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    dragoninforcer;4909631 said:
    *looks him up*

WHAT THE **** THIS MAN HAS BEEN IN EVERY GAME EVER

The funniest part is, when asked what his favorite role is, he usually says he's done so many he can't remember them all!

It usually doesn't bother me too much, except when it becomes really painfully obvious that the VA is not even trying to disguise his or her voice over multiple parts. If I played more RPGs I'd probably notice it more often, but I usually stick to action-y games that have smaller casts.

Being a fan of animation as well as video games, I actually enjoy picking out a familiar voice actor (such as Nolan North or Tara Strong) across different series. In my mind, if the VA fits the part, use 'em! Thankfully I am not one of those types that whines every time Nolan North shows up in the credits.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I'm often pretty clueless at recognizing voices. My sweetie is really good at it; she notices all the time on TV ads narrated by celebrities (e.g. by Donald Sutherland)

She also recognized Karl Urban as Judge Dredd in the trailer the second she saw it. By his lips, I think.

I hate it when people phone, and start talking to me like I'm supposed to know them. I've left messages for my partner like "someone called. Maybe your mother... or your sister??"
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    jibjqrkl;4909629 said:

That guy gets a lot of flack for being the same in "every game," but yeah, check out his body of work. Among credits you might not have expected are Abbas Sufian in the original AC (I don't know why they didn't let him reprise the role in Revelations), the crap turrets and corrupted cores in Portal 2, and.....well, just look at it! He's not always Drake. Far from it, in fact. He's a talented voice actor. It just happened that he was in a couple of mega-hit franchises using more or less his natural speaking voice, so subsequent developers (Prince of Persia anyone?) have asked him to perform that voice. Much to his chagrin, I might add.
  • edited October 2012
    bclewis;4909725 said:

I hate it when people phone, and start talking to me like I'm supposed to know them. I've left messages for my partner like "someone called. Maybe your mother... or your sister??"

Caller ID should help with that.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited October 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4909745 said:

Not if the two people in question are living together.
  • DrumStixDrumStix Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Not really. I'm mostly shocked when I recognize a voice actor. I have the "Oh my God... HE voiced THAT character?!" mindset.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited October 2012
    All this discussion and nobody has mentioned Elder Scrolls Oblivion.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited October 2012
    I forgot to mention one of the doctors in Scrubs, who is a VA for his own character model in LA Noire
    SheSaidSheSaid;4909552 said:
    The performances themselves aren't half-bad, but I can't stop myself from saying "Oh, that's the same guy who voiced Malik in AC1," or "What's Cesare Borgia doing in Syria? I thought I killed him already."

Gets upset when hearing the same VA across different games
    SheSaidSheSaid;4909738 said:
    That guy gets a lot of flack for being the same in "every game," but yeah, check out his body of work. [...] He's a talented voice actor.

Praises a guy that sounds the same in a lot of things he performs in

I am violently failing to comprehend this
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Witticus;4909778 said:

That one's always gonna elude my grasp I think =( I keep thinking "I'll get it when I have enough $" but then something always comes up.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I'm not a gamer, so I don't know too much about them, but I have to say that I get bored with some of the generic "Disney" princess voices. I think it's like a discount contract thing they do to sign them for multiple films. Especially the singers.

On the other hand, I don't mind when they use celebs voices, as their animated characters usually look like them, and it's fun to guess who they actually are.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Witticus;4909778 said:

Never played Oblivion, but Skyrim falls prey to this more than any other game I've ever played. Not only do they reuse voice actors all the time, but certain VAs seem to be assigned to certain races, so it actually gets a bit predictable.

In the AC series, I've only noticed it once or twice, but you have to give them credit, if you watch the credits in any of the games, you'll see that they have entirely different VA casts for English, Spanish, Italian, French, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Norwegian, and a few others.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4909745 said:

I guess it might if I had it ... :/
    My fanciest feature is "redial".
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2012
    I swear, the guy who does the voice for Top Cat in the English dub for the recent Mexican movie sounds exactly like Brock's Dub. But it isn't so it's just one of those head-scratching moments I have.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited October 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4909596 said:
    In The Venture Bros, aside from the main cast and most females, every voice is the two creators of the show. It's really noticeable with Doc Hammer. Every voice sounds like a variation of 21.

It doesn't bother me. I actually think it's funny. In the commentary on one of the episodes they mention how it's hard for them to get voice actors so they end up just doing it themselves.

When thinking of Venture Bros., the episode where they got Kevin Conroy to voice Captain Sunshine sticks out. The fact that he sounded like Batman when doing this role made that episode even better.
    edited October 2012
    BohemianMatt;4910046 said:
    Never played Oblivion, but Skyrim falls prey to this more than any other game I've ever played. Not only do they reuse voice actors all the time, but certain VAs seem to be assigned to certain races, so it actually gets a bit predictable.

Skyrim fixes the problem with more diversity and better voice actors, but Oblivion was littered with maybe 5 people doing hundreds of characters.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Witticus;4910302 said:
    Skyrim fixes the problem with more diversity and better voice actors, but Oblivion was littered with maybe 5 people doing hundreds of characters.

As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda should grab the audio teams of Rockstar or Ubisoft for VAs for their next RPG. They do a ridiculous job of making unique character and NPC dialogue.
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited October 2012
    Witticus;4909778 said:

And if you watch NOVA on PBS, one of the common High Elf voice actors narrates a lot of them. (I rather enjoyed the "Bombing Hitler's Dams" episode that had cameos from some of the guys from Ice Pilots on The Weather Channel.)
    edited October 2012
    BohemianMatt;4910347 said:
    As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda should grab the audio teams of Rockstar or Ubisoft for VAs for their next RPG. They do a ridiculous job of making unique character and NPC dialogue.

Not everybody has Rockstar's OCD. Such as I just found out GTA 4 had a British district. At least if someone's on Bethesda's payroll, you bloody well know about it 12 times over and for those pesky times the actor's lines would have been the same greeting or goodbye, not a problem, just simply change voices at the end of the conversation.
  • StephaniescoobyStephaniescooby Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    I have no idea when it comes to gaming, but I friggen HATE IT when I am watching a movie and I recognize the voice.

As in, an animated movie (probably involving adorable, semi-life-like animals) and I realize the damn voice is the Home Improvement guy, or Gilbert Godfried, or Betty White.

It's all I can focus on, and I picture their faces.

Although, in all fairness, Gilbert is annoying in any form and Betty White kind of kicks arse.
  • edited October 2012