GS'd every song!...Except Shout

horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
edited November 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
So I've managed to gold-star every song on-disc (figuratively) that isn't Shout. Hell, I even somehow managed to GS Cult Of Personality and Death On Two Legs. Everything but this one song. Can anyone help? If you can, give a strategy for powerups, along with the best ways to deploy. Mucho gracias

Comments

• zage1337zage1337 Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Jackpot, Flame Notes, Super Bass..Activate when you see a flame note and switch lanes to catch them = big score.

Got 657k and could do better from using that. GS cut off is just under 500k
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited October 2012
    That was the last song I GS'd as well.

I used Road Rage, Blast Notes and Super Bass. It took me a few tries, but I got it in the end! Keep at it, and you'll get it eventually!
    edited October 2012
    TheStuddz;4911558 said:
    That was the last song I GS'd as well.

I used Road Rage, Blast Notes and Super Bass. It took me a few tries, but I got it in the end! Keep at it, and you'll get it eventually!

Awful choice on Shout. Especially when you can easily get over 100k Jackpots on it
  • edited October 2012
    Do Jackpot Blast Notes and Super Guitar. After the guitar solo just stick to the guitar sustains and use Jackpot.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited October 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4911571 said:
    Do Jackpot Blast Notes and Super Guitar. After the guitar solo just stick to the guitar sustains and use Jackpot.
    I did the same.

This seems to be the safest way to get the GS.
  • KlodrikKlodrik Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Yep. It's all about those long guitar sustains. Use Jackpot, Blast Notes and Guitar and you'll rake in some hefty points on the sustains.
  • KlodrikKlodrik Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Yep. It's all about those long guitar sustains. Use Jackpot, Blast Notes and Guitar and you'll rake in some hefty points on the sustains.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
    zage1337;4911550 said:

Got 657k and could do better from using that. GS cut off is just under 500k

Gold stars are between 487,500 and 488,088 to be more precise
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    I finally GS'd it! There's only one problem...I was wrong. I didn't GS Diamond Eyes. I hate that song, and I tried it like 6 or 7 times. Any help? I really just want to stop having to play this godforsaken song
    edited October 2012
    speaking of Shout I just got 666k last run.

Was kinda freaked out at the run. It was actually 666.6k lol

I don't think I even want to beat that score.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I haven't played any of the "on-disc" songs in what feels like ages, but I know that Shout was the song that taught me the glory of Jackpot and guitar sustains. On my first attempt with powerups, I had a really bad run, but still was able to eek out the gold stars just by using Jackpot on the sustains. It was kind of amazing.

As for Diamond Eyes, that one I was able to do really well with the standard Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar on my first try. For a while it was a relatively high placement on the leaderboard, too, but I'm sure that's no longer remotely the case.

If you're having trouble, honestly, the best thing to do is go with Jackpot/Flame Notes/Super Whatever. Depending on your skill, it may take a few runs to get comfortable enough with keeping a streak while chasing the flames, but if you do well/get lucky with the placement of the Flame Notes in conjunction with overdrive, it's unlikely anything but a supernatural Pinball run will be able to top it.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    While I did get GS Jackpot/Flame on Shout, I find for most good-not-elite players, jackflame is not sustainable as a default for most songs. I know you and zage and VampInc have ungodly skillz and you could likely hammer out 100% on the last Cult of Personality solo with Jackpot active, with sync switches at every measure, all while chasing a pinball, but most players aren't you three. Suggesting jackflame for everything for everybody is making an assumption that they have (or are capable of) a level of skill that few have. DoublerFlame is a lot more reasonable (for GS chasing, we don't dream of leaderboard-topping) on tough, dense songs for us 99 percenters. Though for especially dense tracks Pinball is usually serviceable for a minimal-GS.

I've only GSed 10 of the Blitz 25 so far. But as those 10 include the Hard Goal Is Hard trio as well as Shout and Spoonman, I expect it will be smoother sailing from here to GS#25. The hard part is finding the willingness to play the songs I don't even like to hear again.
    edited October 2012
    thatmarkguy;4912325 said:
    While I did get GS Jackpot/Flame on Shout, I find for most good-not-elite players, jackflame is not sustainable as a default for most songs. I know you and zage and VampInc have ungodly skillz and you could likely hammer out 100% on the last Cult of Personality solo with Jackpot active, with sync switches at every measure, all while chasing a pinball, but most players aren't you three. Suggesting jackflame for everything for everybody is making an assumption that they have (or are capable of) a level of skill that few have. DoublerFlame is a lot more reasonable (for GS chasing, we don't dream of leaderboard-topping) on tough, dense songs for us 99 percenters. Though for especially dense tracks Pinball is usually serviceable for a minimal-GS.

I've only GSed 10 of the Blitz 25 so far. But as those 10 include the Hard Goal Is Hard trio as well as Shout and Spoonman, I expect it will be smoother sailing from here to GS#25. The hard part is finding the willingness to play the songs I don't even like to hear again.
    Heh...by no means do I have super godly skills at the game. Surely my thousands of hours playing regular Rock Band games helped push me into the higher tier of general skill, but there's no way I could keep Jackpot going on the Cult of Personality solo. What I meant by suggesting Jack/Flame was that even if you're not that great, if you play a song a few times, you're bound to be able to get at least a couple decent chains, which especially earlier in songs can give you WAY more points than you can normally get by conventional methods, and will often push you over the top. If you're already in the position where you're playing a song over and over again, you might as well try the one that gives you the best chance to have a "one-off" huge score boost. I think that may be preferable to just trying the same lower-risk combos that don't have as much variance for success. Jack/Flame, while risky, also has the highest potential reward, so at least you feel on any given run if you happen to execute a couple spots well, you can massively increase your score.
    edited October 2012
    I got like 230,000 above the gs cut-off on Sing(530k) on 1 jack/flame attempt the other day. It's really that powerful and just takes a bit of practice. You don't need to hit that many at all to at least GS a song.

Also that 666k run on Shout was using Jackpot/Flame/Super Vocals, and I don't think Vocals was the best choice on that song. It didn't really matter though because I hit a bunch of flame notes.
  • NekketsuNekketsu Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    I don't even know how people can use Jack/Flame, as the game keeps blasting away my jackpot when I try to switch lanes even when it looks like I don't miss a note in the transition.

As for Diamond Eyes, I used the old Road Rage/Blast Notes/whatever instrument (forgot which) on it and got it fairly easily. Just save the car until you have a full meter and pass a gate and let it rip. Break Blitz streaks if you have to to reach overdrive and blast notes and it shouldn't be too hard.

Death on Two Legs and Cult of Personality were the ones that gave me no end of trouble until I finally passed them and finished off the achievement. For those two I ended up using RR instead of Jackpot and got them.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited October 2012
    Oh wow, I just tried this song again. Utterly decimated my old high score, but still almost 100k from gold!
  • NekketsuNekketsu Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    My post above actually got me wondering. Does anybody actually know how much the Blitz point bonuses are actually worth? I can't pay any attention to the meter when I'm actually playing and nobody else here plays anymore, so I can't watch the meter to see how many points it adds for long streaks (and no way am I good enough to NOT look at the actual track while playing). Basically wondering if it's extremely detrimental to break a streak to hit overdrive/blast notes if you don't need them other than the point bonus (blast notes especially if they are only worth 1200 or less).
    edited October 2012
    They come up every _______ notes (don't know the number). You get 100 points, then 200, then 300, then I'm not sure if it jumps straight to 500 or stops at 400 first. 500 is the highest it gets. You keep getting them every ______ notes until you fall out of Blitz mode.
    edited October 2012
    Whoo, I just got it! 561,898 with Jackpot/Blast/Guitar.

Now to GS the other Blitz songs :p
    edited October 2012
    Nekketsu;4912502 said:
    I don't even know how people can use Jack/Flame, as the game keeps blasting away my jackpot when I try to switch lanes even when it looks like I don't miss a note in the transition.
    Yeah, this has to do with the way the game enforces the strike line; apparently it does not uniquely enforce notes on the lane you're currently in; instead it seems to treat every note in every track as hittable and then just ignores the notes from all the lanes you're not currently in. It's subtle, but the consequence is that if you move into a track on which the back end of the timing window of a note that is now past the strike line hasn't expired, you'll be punished with a miss. This is especially jarring when you're in Blitz mode, because the track is zoomed in so far that the "visual space" of the timing window is a lot greater than it is otherwise. At first I thought this was just a bit of sloppy coding or an oversight, but now that I understand better how Synchrony works, I think it was intentional (albeit still a questionable design decision IMO.)

Basically, you have to learn to get in the habit of switching and hitting a note in the adjacent lane at virtually the same time. When you're wanting to switch, look over at the adjacent track and "target" a note that you want to switch on, then wait until the note is pretty much right on the strike line, and then switch over AND hit that note at the same time (even if you can't see it at the time you switch.) It takes a little getting used to, and in frantic situations like chasing Flame notes or particularly fast parts I still find myself getting bit by this problem, but eventually you get used to the technique and it becomes second nature. But it's critical to learn if you want to have any hope of getting high on leaderboards, because the best powerup combo in the game depends highly on being able to keep a streak while switching lanes.
    edited October 2012
    I again wonder about the concept of 'deliberate miscalibration'. If you intentionally skew your calibration numbers such that the 'hitbox' for a note isn't placed with the note at its midpoint, but is instead
    placed with the note at its endpoint. It would allow people to completely stop worrying about the streak-broken-by-passed-note-after-lanechange issue. I wonder if any of the leaderboarders already do this.
    edited October 2012
    Hmm I wonder if some people do that. I like having my hit box as late as possible and I do abuse it on faster sections. Having a late hit box is also useful for hitting 2 flames notes on that are parallel to each other on two different lanes.

I even use Jack/Flame on songs like Afterlife and don't have that much of an issue switching. I'm actually more worried of hitting the notes on a song like that.
    edited October 2012
    zage1337;4913115 said:
    Hmm I wonder if some people do that. I like having my hit box as late as possible and I do abuse it on faster sections. Having a late hit box is also useful for hitting 2 flames notes on that are parallel to each other on two different lanes.

I even use Jack/Flame on songs like Afterlife and don't have that much of an issue switching. I'm actually more worried of hitting the notes on a song like that.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you a bit here, but the game already has a pretty late hit box; that's actually what causes the problem for most people. In order to alleviate this problem, you'd actually have to move the hitbox backward, so that you could hit notes way earlier than normal but hardly at all afterward. So that kind of thing would be the opposite of what you're talking about with being able to hit parallel flame notes or hit faster parts late.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Getting back on topic, I finally did it! Now I don't think I'll ever play that song again. shudder
    edited October 2012
    Blasphemy! :p
    edited October 2012
    horsepastriesa;4912131 said:
    I finally GS'd it! There's only one problem...I was wrong. I didn't GS Diamond Eyes. I hate that song, and I tried it like 6 or 7 times. Any help? I really just want to stop having to play this godforsaken song
    horsepastriesa;4913662 said:
    Getting back on topic, I finally did it! Now I don't think I'll ever play that song again. shudder

I just finished the GS25 today, and Diamond Eyes was the last one for me, too. And boy, do I never intend to play it again.

RBW indicates it took 13 tries. Though that's only completed attempts, right? Probably another 5 or so abandoned runs.
    edited October 2012
    Nice I got 693k on Diamond Eyes using good ol' Jackpot/Blast. It's probably one of the few songs where Jackpot/Flame isn't necessarily the best. Same with songs like Wicker Man.

I think Diamond Eyes was also my last song to GS when I was first GSing the setlist. Either that or So Far Away. They were both a pain to get when I was first going for them.
    edited October 2012
    My last one was Raise Your Glass, but only because it was the last one I got around to (and good god was Pumped Up Kicks not going to be the last one). I got it in one try. The only ones I had to grind, even a little were Cult of Personality, Shout, So Far Away, and Sing (just missed it on the first try on Sing).
    edited October 2012
    zage1337;4914974 said:
    Nice I got 693k on Diamond Eyes using good ol' Jackpot/Blast. It's probably one of the few songs where Jackpot/Flame isn't necessarily the best. Same with songs like Wicker Man.

Yup, I did Jackpot/Blast as well. And Super Drums - that was what pushed me over the top. I was doing Jackpot-Blast-SuperGuitar but fell close-but-short even with top-of-my-skill-range runs. Switched to Super Drums and cleared it with relative breathing room.

When I did Wicker Man it was with Pinball.
    edited October 2012
    thatmarkguy;4915261 said:
    Yup, I did Jackpot/Blast as well. And Super Drums - that was what pushed me over the top. I was doing Jackpot-Blast-SuperGuitar but fell close-but-short even with top-of-my-skill-range runs. Switched to Super Drums and cleared it with relative breathing room.

When I did Wicker Man it was with Pinball.
    Diamond Eyes is so busy that it's actually quite feasible to GS it without Jackpot at all. I did it on my first powerup attempt with Road Rage/Blast Notes/Super Guitar. As long as you are consistently chasing overdrive, you get so many fires with Road Rage that it adds up to a lot of points (it's critical to do it when all of the lanes are busy), and it doesn't require you to keep a perfect streak for Jackpot so you can afford to be a bit more sloppy. Not that it matters since you've gotten your Gold Stars now and have clearly stated your intention never to play the song again, but just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else who might still be struggling with it.