RBN DLC Discussion: 10/25 (Xbox 360), 10/30 (PS3)

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited November 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Xbox 360 RBN Releases for Thursday, 10/25/2012

Rock

John Parr – “Monday Night Football” (80 MSP)
Sincr

Comments

• Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited October 2012
    Highest percentage of new RBN songs I've purchased in a single week.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited October 2012
    Calling Bront, calling Bront, one of your long-awaited songs weirdly came out.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    4/5 ain't bad, not bad at all.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited October 2012
    Lowlander2;4912363 said:
    I know! And just in time to miss my Halloween RB party this weekend!

Still, yay!
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Eh nothing pops out to me, so not sure.

EDIT: Okay Majesty sounded pretty cool and looked fun on drums so might pick that up
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited October 2012
    nothing for me this week... though I might pick up The Monster Stroll on my Xbox
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    For those interested, here's a preview of "Monday Night Football":

RB3: http://youtu.be/3b5-eyKVh5E
    Blitz: http://youtu.be/RBZS2X2-PwI
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Not getting anything right now from this week's but taking a leisurely look at past RBN DLC to see if anything grabs my fancy. "Mechanical Love" by In This Moment is looking rather likely.
  • grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    Lowlander2;4912363 said:

Exactly what I thought when I first read the post. Bront has been asking for that song for a very long time, so even though it's not my cup of tea, I'm glad to see his request finally get fulfilled. Plus there's three new metal songs this week, so even if they aren't any from my list of requests, I'm content.
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Hmm, really slow week. Might check out the John Parr song.
    edited October 2012
    grimripper82;4912507 said:
    Exactly what I thought when I first read the post. Bront has been asking for that song for a very long time, so even though it's not my cup of tea, I'm glad to see his request finally get fulfilled. Plus there's three new metal songs this week, so even if they aren't any from my list of requests, I'm content.
    Proof once again that whining and throwing hissy fits will get you what you want.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Another Chaotrope song? Sweet! Will purchase that along with the two songs I want from last week when I get the money. (Chaotrope + Townsend)
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    That Chaotrope song is I think the only one I like musically. Because it sounds like the Pirates of the Caribbean theme.
  • edited October 2012
    DragoonXD;4912633 said:
    That Chaotrope song is I think the only one I like musically. Because it sounds like the Pirates of the Caribbean theme.

Usually I just ignore the Chaotrope songs but I will need to listen to that one now.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Wasn't there a Chaotrope track a couple of weeks ago?
    And, again, tracks predominately from the metal genre.
    Though, I do like "Things That Make You Scream" - so i'll just be getting that one this week.

Still none of the an Unkindness songs :(

C'mon HMX, please give us "Fragments" by an Unkindness on the PS3.
    Please, pretty please. Do you accept bribes? I'll try anything!
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited October 2012
    Graffin;4912988 said:
    C'mon HMX, please give us "Fragments" by an Unkindness on the PS3.
    Please, pretty please. Do you accept bribes? I'll try anything!
    We don't accept bribes. Sorry. :) But since you ask....

Aside from telling us that you personally want the song (which we've heard, loud and clear), the best way to support an RBN song for PS3 is to convince a) Xbox 360 users to buy it or b) convince other PS3 users that they want it.

Why does it matter whether Xbox users like a given song?

There are many factors used in PS3 song selection, but one key factor is popularity on Xbox. While there are observable differences in genre preference among PS3 players and Xbox players, those differences aren't overwhelming. If a song sells well on Xbox, it will generally sell well on PS3.

Right now (using the leaderboards because we can all see them), there are 152 Xbox band scores on the leaderboards for "Fragments", versus 467 for "Fading Sacrifice". This makes a reasonably strong argument that more people will be happy if we bring "Fading Sacrifice" to PS3 than if we bring "Fragments" to PS3, when those two songs are competing for the same spot (and they are competing for the same spot - effectively, every RBN2 song that has not yet been released on PS3 is in a weekly competition for those five key spots.)
    edited October 2012
    I don't think it's entirely fair to base it on XBOX360 sales. Users that own an XBOX play very different games and therefore have very different tastes to that of PS3 users.

Sure i'll try and spread the word on here and on Facebook, in the hope that more people buy "Fragments", but I just don't understand the mentality of the song selection process, or why it's limited to just 5 a week. Could this possibly be expanded to 10 a week, considering that regular DLC has slowed down to just 3 songs a week?

A substantial proportion (not all) of the metal songs sound the same, and basically require fast and furious drumming. I'm not bagging metal (there's some that even I like), I just would've thought that more keyboard based songs would be promoted for playing on RB3, since the keyboard is a relatively new instrument.

HMXLachesis, Are you sure there's nothing I can do to twist your arm?

To all XBOX 360 users... please buy "Fragments" by an Unkindness. It's only 80 msp (I think) and hopefully that'll help get it for us PS3 users. Cheers!
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Graffin;4913757 said:
    I don't think it's entirely fair to base it on XBOX360 sales. Users that own an XBOX play very different games and therefore have very different tastes to that of PS3 users.
    You're overstating that a touch. While there might be a small observable difference in sales trends between consoles, for the most part something that sells well/poorly on 360 will do the same on PS3, relative to the size of the playerbase (of which the PS3's is quite a lot smaller).
    Graffin;4913757 said:
    Sure i'll try and spread the word on here and on Facebook, in the hope that more people buy "Fragments", but I just don't understand the mentality of the song selection process, or why it's limited to just 5 a week. Could this possibly be expanded to 10 a week, considering that regular DLC has slowed down to just 3 songs a week?
    The 5 song a week limit is imposed by Sony in order to limit the amount of QA they need to do. I'm sure Harmonix would love to port everything over but they're limited by that, and the fact that RBN is built on Miicrosoft's XNA platform which is why all songs are released on the 360 first.

As awesome as An Unkindness is (I have Fragments, and wish you good luck in getting it), the fact is that he's a very unknown artists with a small fanbase and so will have an even smaller crossover fanbase with Rock Band players. There's an outside chance it will be ported if you and/or other people keep requesting but there isn't any magic key that will guarantee it, you'll just have to keep your fingers crossed.
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I'll be crossing my fingers and trying my best to drum up support on here and on Facebook for 360 users to buy and play "Fragments" and the other songs by an Unkindness so hopefully they get ported over to the PS3.

360 users, please give the an Unkindness songs a go. They're great songs, only 80msp each and you can download the mp3's off anunkindness.com for a proper listen of them.

I guess what I find strange about the selection process for the 5 RBN tracks each week is that sometimes there are 2 or even 3 songs by the same artist or songs by an artist that appeared in the previous week or two.

So please at least bring "Fragments" to the PS3 and I'll be more than happy!
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited October 2012
    Graffin;4913757 said:
    ...A substantial proportion (not all) of the metal songs sound the same, and basically require fast and furious drumming. I'm not bagging metal (there's some that even I like), I just would've thought that more keyboard based songs would be promoted for playing on RB3, since the keyboard is a relatively new instrument.

The difficulty of the drums somehow affect the Keys chart? Also fast and furious drumming is a lot of fun once you get down a good foot technique and sticking

Though more Keys heavy songs would be cool indeed
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited October 2012
    Just switched back to ps3 (not really for RB per say) on friday. (not going into why)
    but I love this PS3 rbn week!
    Majesty was on my xbox version, as well as Monster stroll!
    More Haylcon Way is nice to see, but i do have my favorite song by them now.

I will definitely be grabbing all, because i love the RBN!
    edited October 2012
    Graffin;4913757 said:
    We've actually done a lot of number-crunching about how Xbox sales correspond to PS3 sales. With a sample size of almost 700 RBN songs on PS3, we have a lot of data to work with! You're right that there are differences, but fewer than you might think.
    Graffin;4913757 said:
    HMXLachesis, Are you sure there's nothing I can do to twist your arm?
    Even if I were inclined to be bribeable, it would cost more to bribe me than to switch over to Xbox. Promise.
    edited October 2012
    HMXLachesis;4915443 said:
    Even if I were inclined to be bribeable, it would cost more to bribe me than to switch over to Xbox. Promise.
    A little song...
    A little dance...
    Mick Jagger's concert worn pants...
    edited October 2012
    Bront20;4915535 said:
    A little song...
    A little dance...
    Mick Jagger's concert worn pants...
    Make it Geddy Lee's sneakers, and then we can start talking.
    edited November 2012
    HMXLachesis;4915443 said:

Damn, I was hoping otherwise. :(

I wouldn't mind coughing up $300 to be able to play the other 3 tracks by an Unkindness, but seems RBN tracks aren't available on the AU Marketplace when I did a search for them on the PC.

I really don't have the space for another console and yet more plastic instruments anyway. My spare room's already pretty junked up...

http://users.adam.com.au/robs/001.jpg
    http://users.adam.com.au/robs/002.jpg

(the stack of boxes on the floor aren't empty either... and yes, Power Gig sucks)
    edited November 2012
    Graffin;4917303 said:
    I wouldn't mind coughing up $300 to be able to play the other 3 tracks by an Unkindness, but seems RBN tracks aren't available on the AU Marketplace when I did a search for them on the PC.

Ah, I didn't realize you were in Australia. Glad you pointed that out!

You're right - Australia isn't one of the countries where we can sell RBN songs on Xbox, due to Australian regulations. (This applies to all XNA/AppHub indie development, not just the RBN.) A PS3 port is the only way you could get these songs.