Pro guitar marathon - live streaming all 307 songs for charity! (Nov. 3-4)

HitoshuraHitoshura Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band Events
Hello, Rock Band community!

I'll be performing onstage this December at the yearly Rock Band event Umloud! in San Francisco, in a band known as Forever Alone, Together (we also have a Facebook page, if that's more your thing). We're one of two bands that's still in the running for the Headliner slot. The band that raises the most money for charity (in this case, Child's Play Charity) by the deadline gets the coveted slot.

To help with the above, I'll be live-streaming a pro guitar marathon of all 307 songs. On the day(s) of the event, Nov. 3-4, the stream will be embedded on the band's donation page here:

Live Streaming ALL the RB3 Pro Guitar. ALL OF IT. (Nov. 3-4)

We're also promoting this as a Public Event on Facebook in the hopes of reaching a wider audience.

The plan is to start at 10:00 am PDT on Saturday, November 3, and end around noon the next day. There's about 22 hours of music to go through, but the extra time is to account for load times and probably a few short breaks throughout. Songs will be played, on Expert, in order of increasing difficulty. Hopefully I can make it all the way through! Please tune in to show your support -- I could use the encouragement! :)

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited October 2012
  • pizzzapizzapizzzapizza Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 2012
    I really like this idea. A few questions:
    1) Will "Santeria" be included in the setlist (it comes out tomorrow)?
    2) Will the Queen songs be played once (there are 6 repeats where the legacy charts (RB2 era) are terrible e.g. "Somebody to Love" charts the keyboard on pro guitar)?
    edited October 2012
    grumblevolcano;4915732 said:
    2) Will the Queen songs be played once (there are 6 repeats where the legacy charts (RB2 era) are terrible e.g. "Somebody to Love" charts the keyboard on pro guitar)?

I wonder this question to :)
  • HitoshuraHitoshura Unsigned
    edited October 2012
    grumblevolcano;4915732 said:
    1) Yes, I'll be getting Santeria.
    2) I'll be playing both versions. The legacy charts are MUCH harder with the piano charted.

The only songs I don't have are the three RBN songs given out as a promotional code with packs of Schick razors, but I'm not sure how to go about getting those nowadays, if it's even possible.
    edited October 2012
    Hitoshura;4915929 said:
    1) Yes, I'll be getting Santeria.
    2) I'll be playing both versions. The legacy charts are MUCH harder with the piano charted.

The only songs I don't have are the three RBN songs given out as a promotional code with packs of Schick razors, but I'm not sure how to go about getting those nowadays, if it's even possible.

that answered my question thanks :)
  • intropeeintropee Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Good luck and no XMB for you! :D
    This is awesome. :D
  • TheBonobo4TheBonobo4 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Good luck! You must be super-good at Guitar, or are you playing with No-Fail mode?

And you'll be exhausted at the end of this. ;)
    edited November 2012
    make sure you practice so you can go for the 100% on those expert songs that you can impress us with :D
    edited November 2012
    TheBonobo4;4917558 said:
    Good luck! You must be super-good at Guitar, or are you playing with No-Fail mode?

And you'll be exhausted at the end of this. ;)
    Thanks! I'll most definitely be playing with no-fail on. :) I also won't be restarting or going into practice/trainer, as that would add to the already crazy amount of time. For many of these songs, I've never seen the chart, and sightreading pro guitar is hard. Really hard. I've gotten a lot better in the last year or so, but it's still much different than sightreading legacy guitar or drums, as there's so much more info to process. Even songs that I haven't played for a while will be quite challenging, and there's no way I'll be able to keep 307 songs in my short-term memory to play perfectly anyway. I'm pretty sure any of the top PG players would agree that getting gold stars/FCs on PG takes a lot of practice and repetition. No real way around it.

However, I'm still confident in my ability to do at least reasonably well, given these limitations. To make this more interesting, I'm setting some personal challenges:

- Level 1: 921 total stars (3-star average per song)
    - Level 2: 1,000 total stars
    - Level 3: 1,100 total stars
    - Level 4: 1,200 total stars
    - Level 5: 1,228 total stars (4-star average per song; PG hall-of-fame challenge criteria)

I suspect I'll fall somewhere within Level 1-5, but who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself. If I can reach the Level 5 goal given all the things making this session more difficult than normal playing, I'll be extremely happy.
    pizzzapizza;4917625 said:
    make sure you practice so you can go for the 100% on those expert songs that you can impress us with :D
    I have been practicing quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to get some really good performances during this marathon, even without restarting. Though resisting the urge to do so will be difficult. :)
    edited November 2012
    Since you're live streaming it, if you broke a score record or FC'd a song that had never been FC'd before, we'll all know and will have proof. :)

Out of interest, what is the toughest Pro Guitar song, according to you or the game? I'm guessing the game says it's either TTFAF, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Llama or On the backs of angels. I'm probably wrong though. ;)
    edited November 2012
    TTFAF is definitely the hardest. I don't believe it's even been 5-starred by anyone. There are many other songs that have wtf-impossible sections in them, and so may never be FCed, but TTFAF is pretty nuts throughout the entire song.
    edited November 2012
    Of course. But what does the game itself say is the hardest?

As an aside, you have loads of DLC, how'd you afford it all?
    edited November 2012
    TheBonobo4;4917699 said:

with a job with lots of money
    edited November 2012
    Hitoshura;4917678 said:

I have been practicing quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to get some really good performances during this marathon, even without restarting. Though resisting the urge to do so will be difficult. :)

sounds good to me :)
    edited November 2012
    TheBonobo4;4917699 said:

TTFAF is ranked hardest when sorting by difficulty, followed by Stash (artist: Phish). As for having lots of DLC: lots of people have regular vices/habits that cost money, like buying a coffee every morning or something, which to others might seem wasteful or extravagant. One of mine happens to be buying weekly DLC; I've been doing this since RB launched in '07. Considering how much I still play and enjoy RB (both individually and socially), I feel it's still a worthwhile investment/expenditure.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    You're going to be playing in order of increasing difficulty? So....you're gonna end with TTFAF, Llama, On the Backs of Angels, etc...? Heh...best of luck! Playing those monstrosities after 20+ hours, sheesh!
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4918092 said:
    You're going to be playing in order of increasing difficulty? So....you're gonna end with TTFAF, Llama, On the Backs of Angels, etc...? Heh...best of luck! Playing those monstrosities after 20+ hours, sheesh!

Thanks! Not sure how great those last performances will be after so much playing, but we'll see. :) Other members of Forever Alone, Together will probably play along with other instruments from time to time to keep me company, but I'm still definitely playing PG on every song. Fortunately, RB3 is set up so that band play doesn't affect individual score (except for potentially missing unison bonuses), so I'll still be able to track my progress on the goals mentioned above.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    edited November 2012
    I just started watching and caught the tailend of "Sister Christian," so he's up to the 2-dots.
    edited November 2012
    Well, after about 30 hours (15-second-ish breaks during songs to monitor chat, etc. really add up, I hadn't considered that) it's finally done, all 307 songs complete. To those of you who watched the live stream, and especially those who donated, THANK YOU!

Some stats:

- Stars: 1206/1535 - good enough for the Level 4 goal I set earlier, just a little shy of the last one. Still, I'm really happy with this, especially since I went into so many of these songs cold.
    - Score: 61,041,842
    - Notes hit: 203,271
    - Donations to Child's Play: $905.81 (!)

Be sure to check us out at Umloud! If you can't come in person, there should be a live stream the day of the event.
    edited November 2012
    You did amazing Tim! It was wonderful to be able to watch for as long as I did =) If I didn't literally have less than a dollar in the bank, you would have gotten a donation from me.

I was kind of wondering how many of those songs you had played before. I wasn't sure whether to offer congratulations when you got a solo high score for getting 60-something percent on something :p The gold stars on "Hey Man Nice Shot" was pretty damn cool :D
    edited November 2012
    Hitoshura;4919762 said:
    Well, after about 30 hours (15-second-ish breaks during songs to monitor chat, etc. really add up, I hadn't considered that) it's finally done, all 307 songs complete. To those of you who watched the live stream, and especially those who donated, THANK YOU!

Some stats:

- Stars: 1206/1535 - good enough for the Level 4 goal I set earlier, just a little shy of the last one. Still, I'm really happy with this, especially since I went into so many of these songs cold.
    - Score: 61,041,842
    - Notes hit: 203,271
    - Donations to Child's Play: $905.81 (!)

Be sure to check us out at Umloud! If you can't come in person, there should be a live stream the day of the event.

very impressive for that long of performing :)
  • primusumirpprimusumirp Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I'm glad you survived this and hopefully didn't damage your hands.

Raining Blood and TtFaF must have been "fun" to play after 30 hrs of shredding :)
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4919841 said:
    You did amazing Tim! It was wonderful to be able to watch for as long as I did =) If I didn't literally have less than a dollar in the bank, you would have gotten a donation from me.

I was kind of wondering how many of those songs you had played before. I wasn't sure whether to offer congratulations when you got a solo high score for getting 60-something percent on something :p The gold stars on "Hey Man Nice Shot" was pretty damn cool :D

Thank you! There were probably about 60 songs that I'd never seen at all, and maybe another 100 or so that I'd only ever played through once on a sightread a long time ago. Though even for songs that I'd played a lot and GS/FCed before, I kind of forgot the solos. :) While in a way it's frustrating to get much lower scores than I know I'm capable of, I'm still really happy with how it turned out overall. It was incredibly fun, especially with the chat participation and others singing along around me.
    pizzzapizza;4919963 said:
    very impressive for that long of performing :)
    primusumirp;4920410 said:
    I'm glad you survived this and hopefully didn't damage your hands.

Raining Blood and TtFaF must have been "fun" to play after 30 hrs of shredding :)
    Thanks! I think my eyes and general focus actually started to fade near the end more than my hands. There were a few times where I completely blanked out for like half a second, and missed an easy section or BRE or something. Though I'm pretty sure I was breaking combo a lot during the impossible tier because I was strumming too hard and too many strings were registering for single notes. (Though of course that doesn't account for all my misses. Those songs are hard! :)) So yeah, my hands were suffering some too near the end.
    edited November 2012
    By the way, if anyone is interested in viewing or re-viewing any portions of this, the whole stream is currently archived in sections at http://www.twitch.tv/hitoshurarb/videos. I'm not sure how long TwitchTV archives stuff for, though.
  • randomasrandomas Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Damn, you should have put this on the main forum too ... I missed it! Compliments pretty awesome achievement!