Disney to buy Lucasfilm

CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
The mouse is hungry for more, after acquiring Pixar and Marvel.

"The Walt Disney Company agreed Tuesday to buy Lucasfilm in a stock-and-cash deal valued at $4 billion. The deal will make Lucasfilm owner George Lucas a significant shareholder in Disney, which will pay for the film company with $2 billion cash and around 40 million shares of its stock.

The takeover will give Disney (DIS, Fortune 500) control of Lucasfilm's blockbuster Star Wars franchise, which encompasses both filmed productions and a massive merchandising operation. Disney will also absorb Lucasfilm's special-effects production business, Industrial Light and Magic, and its Skywalker Sound audio production studio.
"It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers," George Lucas said in a written statement. "I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Supposedly Star Wars 7 will be slated for a 2015 release. This should get interesting...

And here I thought Georgie boy was a megalomaniac.

Comments

• Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited October 2012
    I do think fans can be rude but that's also a part of art. People aren't going to like everything you do. While, like I said, I think some fans take it to far, I've also seen interviews were Lucas has come off like a spoiled child.
    edited October 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4916520 said:
    Coming straight to DVD April 5th: Star Wars Episode 6 1/2.

Embark on an amazing quest as Princess Leia (played by some Disney Channel actress), Han Solo (not played by Harrison Ford) and Chuwbacca (played by an underpaid janitor) search the galaxy for Luke Skywalker's friend, Tinkerbell. With "groundbreaking" CGI and an all-pop soundtrack, this film is fun for the family. Well, except anyone who gives a crap about Star Wars.
    Disney hasn't raped Marvel or Pixar, so it's unfair to assume they'll do it to SW. At least not the main series. I'm sure there will be direct to video crap similar to what you mentioned though.
  • AzureAngel17AzureAngel17 In Space!
    edited October 2012
    Oh yeah, Lucas totally brought most of it on himself. Thou must never underestimate the nerdrage.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited October 2012
    Lawdog1521;4916524 said:
    Disney hasn't raped Marvel or Pixar, so it's unfair to assume they'll do it to SW. At least not the main series. I'm sure there will be direct to video crap similar to what you mentioned though.

Pixar was forced to make Cars 2...

Though yeah, I'm not expecting Episode 7 to be treated as a straight-to-DVD sequel. Though I do wonder what the plot will be like, with everything resolved in 6 and all.
    edited October 2012
    Well, if they want to use any of the old actors and set it 30 years after VI (and give any **** about the established fiction), then... (Spoilers for New Republic-era novels through New Jedi Order)Han and Leia are married and have a pair of twins (who are themselves 25 years old at this point). Luke is married and has an 8 year old son. The "New Republic" that was established by the Rebellion after the original films was just shattered by an invasion of aliens from another galaxy, and has been replaced by a "Galactic Alliance," which even includes what is left of the Empire. At this point, most of the galaxy is just trying to rebuild from that invasion, which is covered by the "New Jedi Order" novels that were published back when Attack of the Clones was about to come out.(/spoilers) (space)
    (/space)
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited October 2012
    It will have Luke's son!
    edited October 2012
    dog037;4916537 said:
    It will have Luke's son!

No, that'll be the Straight-to-DVD films. Or the new Disney Channel sitcom.
    edited October 2012
    Ben Skywalker is actually a pretty interesting character at this point. They've done some awesome stuff with him in the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi novels.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited October 2012
    I have a hard time believing that Lucas gave Disney any power at all until he dies. He is probably just tired of footing the production budgets. Hell, knowing Lucas, he wrote clauses galore into the contract.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited October 2012
    I haven't read any of the novels; don't want to get sucked into that particular black hole.

If we're throwing out suggestions, I'd be down for a Star Wars: Jedi Outcast style movie though. Those games were awesome, and set right after the original trilogy.
    edited October 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4916528 said:

Though yeah, I'm not expecting Episode 7 to be treated as a straight-to-DVD sequel. Though I do wonder what the plot will be like, with everything resolved in 6 and all.

While Disney financed it and pushed it, Lasseter has said he had the idea for it right after the first. Pixar also had complete creative control.

Let's face it, the first one sucked too.
    edited October 2012
    A feature Knights of the Old Republic would be cool.
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited October 2012
    Lawdog1521;4916544 said:
    While Disney financed it and pushed it, Lasseter has said he had the idea for it right after the first. Pixar also had complete creative control.

Too long, hated it, though my Son loved it. as a result I had to see and hear it many more times than I wanted to.
    edited October 2012
    Lawdog1521;4916544 said:

I didn't like Cars, either. That film felt lackluster at best. Which is a shame, because Pixar usually makes really great kid's films.
    edited October 2012
    Lawdog1521;4916546 said:
    A feature Knights of the Old Republic would be cool.

Yes.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited October 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4916528 said:

disney didn't force them. cars is lassater's baby and he'd be happy if cars sequels is all they ever did.

i myself hated the first cars as much as the second one. special hate thanks to owen wilson for that.

with that said, pixar is kept as a separate studio with control over their own product.
    edited October 2012
    topdrawer;4916575 said:
    disney didn't force them. cars is lassater's baby and he'd be happy if cars sequels is all they ever did.

No need to correct me when someone already has.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited October 2012
    maybe this means George won't be able to let his grandkids name his movie characters anymore.

I mean, Count Dooku? really?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Star Wars 7 will be a completely new story. It's not going to be based on any novels or comic books or anything.

Which makes it seem like it's going to be a sequel in name only. The other alternatives are recasting the three principal characters or, blarg, setting the movie 30 years after the events of ROTJ and having Luke be old and fat (and that's no crack on Mark Hamill, if he wants to get fat, that's his business :p ). Neither of those seem particularly appealing. Perhaps the most likely outcome is it's a new story with new characters and Luke and Leia make cameo appearances (Harrison Ford is not touching this movie with a 50 foot pole, I guarantee you that).
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    To be fair Lucas Films couldn't be doing any worse. Maybe having an annoying sidekick as comic relief will do Star wars some good. Oh and since it's Disney, those parents are as good as dead.
    edited November 2012
    Witticus;4917372 said:
    To be fair Lucas Films couldn't be doing any worse. Maybe having an annoying sidekick as comic relief will do Star wars some good. Oh and since it's Disney, those parents are as good as dead.

That was 90's Disney. Nowadays all that'll happen is they'll have relationship problems and the kids will have a subplot to bring them back together.
    edited November 2012
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Let's ignore Star Wars for a second. You know what the acquisition would be great for? Indiana Jones. Imagine an Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. THAT WOULD ROCK.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    what Disney should do is make sequels based on the books. If they made adaptations of the Timothy Zahn and Kevin J Anderson novels, Id wear Mickey Mouse ears for a whole week. Hope it happens.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Witticus;4917372 said:
    Maybe having an annoying sidekick as comic relief will do Star wars some good.

Did....did you not see The Phantom Menace? I mean, fair play if you've blocked it from your memory somehow, and if so I am profoundly sorry to have reminded you. But, suffice it to say, no. No, it wouldn't.
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4921509 said:
    Did....did you not see The Phantom Menace? I mean, fair play if you've blocked it from your memory somehow, and if so I am profoundly sorry to have reminded you. But, suffice it to say, no. No, it wouldn't.

+1
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited November 2012
    horsepastriesa;4920876 said:
    Let's ignore Star Wars for a second. You know what the acquisition would be great for? Indiana Jones. Imagine an Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. THAT WOULD ROCK.

I see what you did there. :p

It's also kind of a given that Lucas would sell to Disney, since Disney recently updated the "Star Tours" ride to include the prequels.
    edited November 2012
    Here's something to think about and to arouse nerds.

Disney has partnered with Paramount for the Avengers flicks and has a good working relationship with them. Now that Disney owns Star Wars and Paramount still owns Star Trek, it's conceivable the two worlds could somehow connect. (Such as E.T. being in The Phantom Menace)
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited November 2012
    The worst part is that the movies won't have the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning.
    edited November 2012
    Lawdog1521;4924759 said:
    Here's something to think about and to arouse nerds.

Disney has partnered with Paramount for the Avengers flicks and has a good working relationship with them. Now that Disney owns Star Wars and Paramount still owns Star Trek, it's conceivable the two worlds could somehow connect. (Such as E.T. being in The Phantom Menace)

Oh dear God! That'd mean my mom's second favorite sci-fi series would be mixed into my brother's favorite sci-fi series. That can only lead to lots and lots of arguing.

Plus, Star Trek takes place in the future. Star Wars takes place a long, long time ago in a galaxy right down the street from Jay Leno's face.

*I apologize for that seemingly random reference to Jay Leno's "Is His Head Bigger Than Mine" sketch*