Lawdog’s Cabinet of Curiosities

Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Step right up, boys and girls, just in time for Halloween! Inside is Lawdog’s Cabinet of Curiosities. Each tale will astound you. Each yarn will electrify your senses. Each story will horrify you to the core. Why? Because they’re all (mostly) true! So, if you’re not weak of heart, if you’re not short on courage, if your life insurance is paid up, come right in and behold the bizarre wonders of our world. (Price is $5 dollars per head, non-refundable.)

1. The Bloop:

Summery - In 1997 oceanographic sound equipment recorded an anomaly. This sound, described as a “bloop” lasted several seconds and was heard several times. (And has been heard again subsequently over the years). Now, what sets this apart is that on analysis experts realized the sound is made by a biological life form. Here’s the hitch… this life form would have to be bigger than any known creature, larger than even the blue whale.

The speculation that something very big is swimming around out there has given rise to books such as The Swarm and films such as Cloverfield. Now, if a creepy blooping noise from a giant creature isn’t enough for you, here’s one more piece of odd trivia about the bloop. It’s original location was recorded near the mythical city of R’lyeh, mentioned in H.P. Lovecraft’s The Call of Cthulhu.

The ancient ones are out there.

2. The Dayatlov Pass Incident:

Summery - This one reads like something from Hollywood. Nine Russian college students set of on an annual cross country ski trip. The group disappeared and a search and rescue operation was launched. When they finally found the camp, that’s when things got really weird.

The tents were found, but none of the students. Most of the students personal belonging, including necessary survival equipment and boots, were left behind. One of the tents had been torn apart… from the inside out. For whatever reason they had left, it had been in a hurry. Further investigation found the bodies of all nine students. While several had no discernable cause of death, several had broken bones and two had crushed skulls. The weirdness doesn’t stop there. Corner’s would determine the force used to break the skull was greater than that humanly possible.

Other creepy facts include skiers 50 miles away reporting seeing orange globes in the sky the night of the incident. The bodies supposedly had a orange or tan color to the skin, and the bodies emitted radiation.

3. The Tunguska Event:

Summery - Sticking with weird things in Russia, we have the Tunguska event. On June 30, 1908 something went boom over Tunguska. A really big boom. A really, really, big boom. This boom was a thousand times more powerful than Hiroshima yet almost forty years before the invention of nuclear weapons.

The most common theory of what it was is that of a comet or meteorite. But since nothing conclusive has ever been proven, theories ranging from black holes to alien invasion have been suggested.

4. Toys R Us Ghost:

Summery - Now for something far more supernatural. For the last thirty years a Toys R Us store in Sunnyvale California has been the home of a rather mischief’s ghost. Featured in numerous “reality” shows, the ghost is known for pulling pranks on employees and customers. Moving objects, water facets turning on by themselves, closing doors and such have all been reported.

Various stories have popped up explaining the ghost, but the only thing that’s known for sure is people come from miles around hoping to catch a glimpse of the poltergeist.

5. [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G

Comments

• Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited October 2012
    Thanks Lawdog, I won't sleep for a week now!
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited October 2012
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited October 2012
    That took up a good part of my day... Thanks LD! I owe you $5.00

A few thoughts:
    1. The Tunguska event was obviously a black hole, since it was speculated by physicists at the University of Texas. Everything is bigger here.
    2. I'm certain the "Beast" of Gevaudan was nothing more than than a couple of foxes toying with the French. You know, just like everyone else does.
    edited October 2012
    The "Beast"...When in doubt...chupicabra.
  • TheBonobo4TheBonobo4 Road Warrior
    edited October 2012
    Now I'm not saying it was aliens, but...

Seriously though, I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all of these events.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited October 2012
    Aw, I thought this thread was going to be naming your staff once you won the election.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited October 2012
    TheBonobo4;4917065 said:
    Now I'm not saying it was aliens, but...

Seriously though, I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all of these events.
    I'm sure there is... but there's no fun in that. :p

That's why I didn't list some of the stuff that's pretty well known, it's had more time to be debunked.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Halloween is over, please take your decorations down now :p
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    If I give another $5 can we get more stories?

*sits down on the carpet*
    edited November 2012
    *Sits down next to CJ* :)
  • DerLindwurmDerLindwurm Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    *sits down too since everyone else is doin' it*
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited November 2012
    *lays on belly and puts hands on chin to listen to more of Professor Lawdogs stories*
    edited November 2012
    Alright, alright. I'll find some more weird stories. :p

Now I have to go poking around those weird places on the internet again.
    edited November 2012
    *Gets up to pop some corn*
    edited November 2012
    The Brazilian Wandering Spider:

Summery - Live in a part of the world that doesn’t have big, scary spiders? Well, relax. Now these spiders can be shipped directly to your home. It’s not unheard of for pest to hitch a ride in fruit and other commerce but having one of the worlds deadliest spiders jump out of a bunch of bananas is a whole different ballgame.

On multiple occasions over the last few years these spiders have made their way into supermarkets or as in this case, peoples homes. If nothing else this story provides an excuse to not eat healthy. When’s the last time you heard of a deadly animal jumping out of a bag of Doritos?

Centralia, Pennsylvania:

Summery - Ghost towns can be creepy. But modern ghost towns can be even creepier. While nothing supernatural has been reported in Centralia, it’s not the kind of place most people want to move too. In 1962 a fire spread from burning garbage to an underground network of coal mines beneath the town. Now the town billows noxious fumes, has random sinkholes and fire pits, and the population has dwindled from several thousand to less than ten. (Apparently having no services, not even a zip code, doesn’t bother some people)

The creepy atmosphere has provided stories for works such as Silent Hill and novels by Dean Koontz.

The Rosenheim Poltergeist:

Summery - Sometimes ghost can be annoying. How annoying? Try getting 46 phone calls in 15 minutes. That’s what this German poltergeist did in 1967. Along with twirling pictures, breaking light bulbs, and opening drawers. What really sets this case apart however is the volume of witnesses that claimed to have seen it.

Employees of the law firm it occurred at saw it, as did researchers, including electrical engineers and police officers. To this date the case has neither been proven or disproved making it a landmark case in the paranormal.

The Valentich Disappearance:

Summery - If the Rosenheim Poltergeist is a landmark case for things that go bump in the night, the Valentich case is one for UFO’s. In 1977 pilot Fredrick Valentich reported seeing a large craft with four bright lights approaching his small, single engine Cessna. Over the next few minutes he radioed to the ground the erratic movements of this craft. A few minutes later he reported engine trouble and that the craft was “hovering and that it was not a aircraft.” Then a metallic scraping sound followed, then silence.

A massive search was launched for Valentich and to date nothing has been recovered.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppelg
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited November 2012
    Lawdog1521;4918116 said:
    The Brazilian Wandering Spider:

....When’s the last time you heard of a deadly animal jumping out of a bag of Doritos?

EXACTLY! - Never!
    edited November 2012
    *claps* Encore! ENCORE!

These stories are great, LD. I need to send that spider one to a buddy of mine. He has huge arachnophobia.

*steals some popcorn from rkbdgurl*
    edited November 2012
    Ok....great stories, but of them all, I find the Brazilion wandering spider to be the most disturbing of them all. A big spider dropped off my ceiling the other night, while I was reading a book. I just saw it out of the corner of my eye. Like just fell. Is it possible that it was one of these deadly critters? We will never know, because it met an untimely demise at the hands of a flip flop. may he RIP.

*gets up to make more popcorn since CJ stole mine*
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    *lays down on RBgurl's spot*

:3
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    *steals RBgurl's microwave*
    edited November 2012
    *notices microwave missing, shrugs....goes to the freezer, pulls out a tub of Rocky Road ice cream asks CJ to check on a possible burglar outside...sits down in CJ's spot*
    edited November 2012
    *looks outside* What? I don't see a bur...hey wait a second!

*sits in red velvet chair on front of fireplace, donning my monocle and robe, lighting up the pipe. Tosses rbgurl some chocolate sprinkles as a peace offering*
    Lawdog1521;4918116 said:

Centralia, Pennsylvania:

Summery - Ghost towns can be creepy. But modern ghost towns can be even creepier. While nothing supernatural has been reported in Centralia, it’s not the kind of place most people want to move too. In 1962 a fire spread from burning garbage to an underground network of coal mines beneath the town. Now the town billows noxious fumes, has random sinkholes and fire pits, and the population has dwindled from several thousand to less than ten. (Apparently having no services, not even a zip code, doesn’t bother some people)

The creepy atmosphere has provided stories for works such as Silent Hill and novels by Dean Koontz.

Population:

Humans - 7
    ROUSs - 100
    edited November 2012
    You know, it's harder to find this weird stuff than you would think. :p

I'm trying to keep it lesser known things that are real or at least haven't been proven a fraud.
    edited November 2012
    You realize that we all have an insatiable appetite for this stuff right. Seriously, there just is nothing better than kicking back with a bunch of friends, eating popcorn, drinking beer, or whatever, listening to weird stories. thanks LD...LOVE IT!!!
  • TheBonobo4TheBonobo4 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    These stories are interesting, and many of them I've never heard before. I feel though, most can be explained logically without the supernatural or other strange occurrences (aliens and so on), but some are still weird, even when explained logically.