Awesome Songs You Discovered Thanks to the Sale

queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
If you're anything like me, you've taken full advantage of the sale to make a dent in your DLC backlog. I've kept a running list of older songs that I'm interested in, and typically buy one or two older tracks every time I get a points card.

And yet, with songs selling for a buck a pop, I found myself taking a chance on a lot of songs I wouldn't have bought at the higher price point: songs that sounded intriguing from a brief preview; songs that made an album display as sorted; deeper cuts I didn't know that had cool looking charts.

Some of those songs turned out to be totally and unexpectedly awesome. If not for the sale, I probably never would have gotten:

the Grateful Dead - Sugar Magnolia, China Cat Sunflower, and several deep cuts. -- previously I only had Uncle John's Band and Touch of Grey. I was thrilled at how fun a lot of these songs are on drums.

Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet? -- I'm not usually into songs with this sort of vocals, but it was catchier and more melodic than I expected.

Nirvana - School and Blew from the Bleach Pack -- Previously I only had About a Girl, and thought the other songs were unremarkable. I gave 'em a shot and they've steadily grown on me.

Motorhead - Killed by Death and We Are the Road Crew -- I've always loved Ace of Spades but never gave these two a shot. Both excellent.

Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams to Remember -- I've actually loved this song for a long time, I just never could bring myself to buy it, since drums are my instrument of choice. Now, at a dollar, it was an easy call, and I may even take a crack at singing it some day.

No Doubt - the Climb -- I mostly got this so that it could team up with Happy Now? and the title track to sort Tragic Kingdom. Like many of the No Doubt songs, it ended up being surprisingly fun on drums.

So has anyone else made any great DLC discoveries they owe to the sale? Share yours and let Harmonix know their diabolical plan to sell virtual goods for (slightly less) money is a success!

Comments

• nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    The Used -Blood on My Hands
    STYX-Blue Collar Man(Long Nights)
    Reo Speedwagon-Roll With The Changes
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    edited November 2012
    Judas Priest - Fever
    Eagles of Death Metal - I Only Want You
    Wolfmother - White Unicorn
    OneRepublic - Stop and Stare

The Wolfmother song is the only one I "discovered". The others were either GH DLC as well or ones I've always been on the fence about.
  • VegeduckVegeduck Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    The Decemberists- Perfect Crime #2
    -Really catchy song, and i'm not really a fan of this band, but this one's got an INCREDIBLE drum chart at parts and a great guitar part as well.
    Alphabeat- Fascination
    -I kind of remembered this one from Band Hero, and recalled it was catchy. Didn't realize it had such a great guitar part though, it's challenging but not frustrating at all; the kind of guitar part I excel at.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    Kula Shaker, X, Eels, The Raveonettes, Poni Hoax, Swingin' Utters, and many many many more.
  • VegeduckVegeduck Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Alright, you've lost me, how did the sale get you into Poni Hoax and Swingin' Utters?
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    Woops, I thought this was thanks to Rock Band. The sale introduced me to nothing really, as I've been keeping track and listening to things Rock Band provided for years.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Groudon199;4918123 said:
    Judas Priest - Fever
    Eagles of Death Metal - I Only Want You
    Wolfmother - White Unicorn
    OneRepublic - Stop and Stare

The Wolfmother song is the only one I "discovered". The others were either GH DLC as well or ones I've always been on the fence about.

I just listened to the Judast priest song and i like it so i will probably get the full screaming for venegance album as well as that eagles of death metal song, good picks man.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Vegeduck;4918802 said:
    Alright, you've lost me, how did the sale get you into Poni Hoax and Swingin' Utters?

How did you like Poni Hoax is a better question... ;)

(can't stand them at all)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    The Haunted - D.O.A.

I wanted to finally finish up the Earache Records Thrash Pack (other songs being "Thrasher" by Evile and "Blinded By Fear" by At the Gates) and I've gotta say this tune is pretty kickass. Definitely a song to get if you're into thrash/melodeath metal.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4919053 said:
    The Haunted - D.O.A.

I wanted to finally finish up the Earache Records Thrash Pack (other songs being "Thrasher" by Evile and "Blinded By Fear" by At the Gates) and I've gotta say this tune is pretty kickass. Definitely a song to get if you're into thrash/melodeath metal.

I Love that song and it's a great pack even with my hate for Thrasher. If you're a Guitarist looking for a challenge and lots of fun (for me once again minus Thrasher) get it now.
  • gamesover101gamesover101 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Rust in Peace... Polaris by Megadeth
  • googleimagegoogleimage Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Funk #49 by James Gang. It also has a pro upgrade. ;)
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Bad Omen by Megadeth. SO FUN ON BLITZ
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I can't say I bought anything that I wouldn't have origianly. But I did find some more good songs off of The Coulor And The Shape and Are You Experienced? that I am pleased with.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    well I knew of every song I bought but I was really surprised how fun some of the songs were, like Sun Hits the Sky, C'mon C'mon, War Zone, both songs by The Zombies, and both Simon & Garfunkel songs
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I played a lot of my newly-purchased sale songs yesterday, including ones that my friends requested. I actually like Ministry but I don't know "Stigmata" at all and I didn't think it would be that fun to play in Rock Band. Well, the vocals were indeed kind of ridiculous, so ridiculous that the singers kept cracking up, but that made it one of the more fun songs of the night.

Somehow I convinced myself that I didn't know the song "Inside Out", but I checked it out specifically because I want to buy ALL of the legacy DLC that offers Pro Guitar / Pro Bass upgrades. Well of course I know that song, I just never knew the title.

Other things I learned:
    Roy Orbison is a true legend, his phrasing / cadence / notes are really hard to replicate.
    The Cars songs need to have keys and harmony. But we all already knew that instinctively, right?
  • MrPersonMrPerson Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    The entire Texas Flood album.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    MrPerson;4920054 said:
    The entire Texas Flood album.

seriously, anyone who has guitar as their main instrument should get this album.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I've only bought 4 songs during the sale so far, and I already knew all of them, so I haven't really "discovered" anything new.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    GameMaster439;4918864 said:
    How did you like Poni Hoax is a better question... ;)

(can't stand them at all)

I still don't get the hate for this group. Sure, Antibodies isn't fun at all to play (except for the first half on bass), but the song itself is not bad IMO.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    CloudWolf;4920627 said:
    Sure, Antibodies isn't fun at all to play (except for the first half on bass), but the song itself is not bad IMO.

eh, it's actually decently fun once you're able to hit everything. the problem is that it's all patterns that you either miss completely or hit everything. so those who can't hit it fail miserably at keeping any kind of combo which takes away all the fun
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    The Who 12-Pack, a bunch of No Doubt songs and the R.E.M. tracks. I'm still wondering how the hell I hadn't purchased any of these before.
  • SylarTheNinjaSylarTheNinja Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    School - Nirvana. I already knew the songs, but I didn't expect the Ten album to be so fun to play on guitar.
  • NOT_TravisNOT_Travis Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    All that I discovered was that "I Got Mine" by The Black Keys, which I have become addicted to, thanks to Rocksmith has already been out on RB for at least 2 1/2 years. And now it's half price! As well as "Long Train Running" by the Doobies and "Lonely Boy". Even though I knew them before...does that count?
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    Some Alice Cooper. I had "School's Out", snagged "I'm Eighteen" and "Poison", need to listen to the other 2-3 songs now to see if I want them too.

I've snagged 25+ songs that were also on my Maybe list too, I've still got a list of 20-30 more songs to reconsider, though most of them I turned down again about a month ago.

I think I still need to play a few of them, haven't had the time.
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Bront20;4920894 said:
    Some Alice Cooper. I had "School's Out", snagged "I'm Eighteen" and "Poison", need to listen to the other 2-3 songs now to see if I want them too.

I've snagged 25+ songs that were also on my Maybe list too, I've still got a list of 20-30 more songs to reconsider, though most of them I turned down again about a month ago.

I think I still need to play a few of them, haven't had the time.

I grabbed a couple of the same Alice Cooper songs.

I've found that at one buck, my "Maybe List" pretty much turns into a "Definitely List," and stuff I might never have considered goes on that "Maybe List."
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I only have Schools Out and Poison. Are the rest of the Alice Cooper songs just as good/challenging?
  • queuemarkqueuemark Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    nascargo19;4921054 said:
    I only have Schools Out and Poison. Are the rest of the Alice Cooper songs just as good/challenging?

I grabbed I'm Eighteen and Billion Dollar Babies to sort the Live album. They bought sound a bit rough live, but I quite like BDB, and find both reasonably fun (but I play drums).
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I generally stayed away from the Country genre, other than Kenny Rogers and Johnny Cash.

The sale emboldened me to pick up a few country packs.

My 5 year old son absolutely LOVES playing The Dixie Chicks' "Sin Wagon". He plays that and "Ride The Lightning" multiple times each day in Blitz.

He loves taking turns with me playing Blitz, btw.