Wavegroup covers better than or equal to the originals?

horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
So way back when from 2005 to 2008 we had to work with some mediocre soundalikes in Guitar Hero, Rock Band, even Samba de Amigo. Some good, most terrible. But there are the occasional ones that measure up to the originals, sometimes even beyond. Take for example the cover of Ziggy Stardust. It tossed in a guitar solo that wasn't in the original that worked seamlessly and sounded fantastic. Or the Cliffs of Dover cover that's almost an exact replica of the original, except for the lack of a drum roll in the intro. So yes, Wavegroup's made some terrible covers, but they've made a few that are beyond decent. What are some other good ones?

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    didn't they add a solo in "Message in a bottle" back in GH2? i liked that one
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4919336 said:
    didn't they add a solo in "Message in a bottle" back in GH2? i liked that one

You know, that was a really fun solo, but I don't think it fit into the song very well
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I know it was Line 6 who did them and not Wavegroup, but I like the covers of Paranoid and La Grange on Guitar Hero 3 better than the originals. They're more dynamic than the flatter original versions and sound especially good if you're playing on the arcade version.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Only thing I really miss about Wavegroup is the crowd singalongs they added to songs. Definitely wish those were still being added to DLC.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    There was that one that they got sued for because it was too similar to the original. Uhh, I think it was "What I Like About You" ?
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    I like the cover for Rock You Like a Hurricane better than the original. The vocals in the original are too effects-heavy IMO.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    My Sharona.

And I love the original.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Some of the Guitar Hero III covers, while certainly different, were great. I found myself preferring the vocals in their covers of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and "Story of My Life."
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2012
    Ziggy Stardust's guitar solo in GH1 was fantastic. It'd make no sense in the album but in game it was great.
    SheSaidSheSaid;4919739 said:
    There was that one that they got sued for because it was too similar to the original. Uhh, I think it was "What I Like About You" ?

Except it wasn't that similar. I rolled my eyes at that claim and hard.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    horsepastriesa;4919325 said:
    Take for example the cover of Ziggy Stardust. It tossed in a guitar solo that wasn't in the original that worked seamlessly and sounded fantastic.
    Yeah, the solo was good, but everybody that claims the cover was better or even equal to the original is crazy. Nothing personal, but no David Bowie cover can ever come close to the original IMO (no, not even Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World).
  • Dadasaurus RexDadasaurus Rex Rawwwwwwr!
    edited November 2012
    CloudWolf;4921166 said:
    Yeah, the solo was good, but everybody that claims the cover was better or even equal to the original is crazy. Nothing personal, but no David Bowie cover can ever come close to the original IMO (no, not even Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World).
    I have to agree with you CW. I'm kind of a Bowie nut and haven't heard anyone improve on his work. Nirvana's TMWSTW captures the essence (in a heroined out kind of way) but certainly not an improvement. That said, Mott the Hoople released All the Young Dudes, The only song I can think of that he wrote, but did not release himself (except as an outake) that I like.