Harmonix needs Playtesters!

HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
edited March 2008 in Announcements
So we do a lot of playtesting here at Harmonix. And from time to time we need to refresh our database of willing playtesters here in Boston, Massachusetts (USA).

A few things.

1. Only sign up if you're within an hour's drive of Cambridge, MA. I loved the guys from Poland who signed up, but it just isn't in the cards.

2. Our games are mostly T for Teen, so please get parental permission if that isn't you.

3. We do not use this information for anything other than playtesting purposes.

4. We don't have enough tests to use everyone that signs up. Good luck!

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/playtest/

We especially need players who have never played our game before. So if you have neighbors / parents / bosses who have never picked up a plastic instrument before, please send 'em our way.

Any questions? Either post to this thread, or e-mail Chris at [email]canfield@harmonixmusic.com[/email]

Thanks!

Comments

• LZ_69LZ_69 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Could I live any further from Boston???!!!:mad: How about if I'm just a few hours flight time away? oh!, I'm flexible!:D
  • _GH_GH Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I live about an hour and a half to two. Too far?

And is this strictly a volunteer thing with nothing for payment but the joy of playing a new Harmonix game?
  • HanksNBeanzHanksNBeanz Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Hook me up guys! I live in Wrentham and I'm unemployed right now with nothing better to do..... I mean hey I'm right here.
  • Rock_StarmanRock_Starman Headliner
    edited January 2008
    I'm not close enough but thought I'd ask anyway....

What kind of pizza?

This isn't the same as a tester tester is it? Cause if it is people should really know what they'd be getting into there.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I've signed up for this before with no luck.

I'll give it another shot. I'm about 30 minutes south of the studios.
  • ClinTrojanClinTrojan Banned
    edited January 2008
    I live in kentucky and have real drumming experience and would love to help with testing out the drum aspect of the the game.

Should come up with some kind of PC app that testers could use by plugging in through USB to test without having to be at the location. Just a barebone app, nothing pretty at all, just simple note scrolling and test kind of thing.

I am wanting to get in the industry and love both aspects between music and software. Would be a nice way to start.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    ClinTrojan;260038 said:
    I live in kentucky and have real drumming experience and would love to help with testing out the drum aspect of the the game.

Should come up with some kind of PC app that testers could use by plugging in through USB to test without having to be at the location. Just a barebone app, nothing pretty at all, just simple note scrolling and test kind of thing.

I am wanting to get in the industry and love both aspects between music and software. Would be a nice way to start.
    I think the whole point is to be playtest an actual game itself, not some PC app.
  • edited January 2008
    HMXJohnlok;259690 said:
    Chris can fill you in on the details when he gets a chance, but it's mostly a "hey can you come play some game we're working on for a few hours? We'll give you pizza!" kinda deal. This is not a job opportunity.
    And for the older, can we head up the street to People's Republik after a hard day of rocking out?

Awesome to hear about some actual advantage to living in Boston to make up for all the blizzards!

r i b
  • blink182fanblink182fan Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    i live in the middle of pennsylvania. dang im pretty sure thats too far lol but its closer than some others
  • rockingnowrockingnow Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    woo hoo im 15 minutes away....pick me pick me.

im 40 and will represent the older crowd of this forum.

Im a boss at my company and can come and go anytime you request it.

l.delucia
  • schmittyschmitty Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Hopefully you take peoples responses more seriously than EA Sports. :-X
  • lordofsheeplordofsheep Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    i live in CT

is that close enough......

i live about 40 mins from hartford and about 2 from boston.?
  • Tender-SurrenderTender-Surrender Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    OH man, I am totally down for that, I work in Boston. I would totally love that! Ill sign up for some pizza and some gaming anyday!! lol
  • Cueball666Cueball666 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    25 miles away. don't drive into boston due to traffic...but live 5 seconds from the T. can be there easily in an hour on the red line
  • Project_MercyProject_Mercy Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Our city council is always claiming that Milwaukee is a great place for businesses to relocate..

I'm just sayin'
  • ClinTrojanClinTrojan Banned
    edited January 2008
    Eman311;260048 said:
    I think the whole point is to be playtest an actual game itself, not some PC app.
    I was talking about a simple program that would just play the note chart for you to play it and test the fun of it, difficulty, how close it is to the real song, ect....
  • JB4GDIJB4GDI Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    Rock_Starman;260005 said:
    What kind of pizza?
    Whatever it was, I was sad that I had dinner beforehand because I seriously just wanted to eat a whole box after 2 slices. Harmonix gets their pizza from some amazing place.

-Jaime
  • snwns26snwns26 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I'll test DLC if you guys send it to me. :D
  • hollinger3024hollinger3024 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    how about central sq? i know you guys are around here somewhere. i'll do ANYTHING you need. i love you.:D
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I really wish I lived closer to Mass, I would definately sign up.
  • BubbaCBubbaC Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    hollinger3024;260682 said:
    how about central sq? i know you guys are around here somewhere. i'll do ANYTHING you need. i love you.:D
    considering they are only a few blocks up from the mid east.. i'm surprised i didnt know they were there till i applied for a testing job a while back.. it's tucked away nicely. so many times have i walked right by it and never noticed... ofcourse i never walked by during anything the might remotely represent normal business hours..
  • edited January 2008
    Hmm, return flights to Boston from South Australia are only like $4500. I can play test by day and hang out in the forest with Sasquatch King by night. Free accommodation rocks, plus free pizza. How can i NOT do this?
  • WiseOldUnicornWiseOldUnicorn Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Georgia is close to Boston, right? >_>
  • Miami_13Miami_13 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I live in Maine and I just Google Map'd it and it's just over a 2 hour drive.
  • fourdegreesfourdegrees Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Dammit I was hoping you needed playtesters for the european release :(
  • HMXChrisCanfieldHMXChrisCanfield Harmonix Developer
    edited January 2008
    Great response! Thanks everyone!

A few more details here:

1. This is strictly volunteer, single-session stuff. We basically need people who can come into our office, look at something, and tell us which parts of it we're screwing up. We lose a lot of perspective staring at something day in and day out, and it is absolutely essential that we get people in here who can tell us that our 30 button hypercolor interface is just baffling, or that the first song in the game is too hard. That reality check is impossible on our own.

What gets playtested isn't always the fun part, and the game is not always fun at the point it gets playtested. If it was, we'd ship it. But it will give you insight into the development process, and some very direct input into the direction of the game. And pizza.

2. Sessions usually last between thirty minutes to an hour and a half, with a few hearty souls going for five hours or more (Thank you!). I'll let you know ahead of time which it is. Usually this involves playing something in a structured fashion (play variant 1 for 15 minutes, comment on it, play variant 2 for 15 minutes, compare), although sometimes it is as simple as playing around with new menu options and letting us know what makes sense and what doesn't.

3. This is mostly for stuff in the future. I wanted to get a jump on finding people in the area before we get really slammed with playtesting work. An e-mail may come anywhere from two weeks to two years from now.

4. We don't generally do remote playtests, as they wouldn't give us the moment-to-moment clues that we need. You should just move to Boston.

5. We generally keep to the hour rule-of-thumb simply because we don't want people to get all excited and take day trips out here. On a fundamental level it skews people's perspectives of the game, and unadulterated perspective is what we need. And it can be kind of a letdown when you get one of the boring-but-necessary parts of the game, or those times when the whole thing is just broken.

6. Sadly, we can't get to everyone who signs up. Sorry if you've signed up in the past and didn't get in.

7. The pizza place we usually go with is Beauty's Pizza over on Broadway behind MIT. Yeah, they are pretty amazing.
  • poochiebpoochieb Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    What about those of us who live an hour away but also work full time jobs? Can this happen outside of normal 9-5/10-6 business hours? Like nights/weekends?
  • edited January 2008
    Count me in.

Just UPS all your testing materials over to my house and I'll give them a thorough and vigorous workout. I do software design at work anyway, so I'd be great for it.
  • HMXJohnlokHMXJohnlok Harmonix Developer
    edited January 2008
    poochieb;261328 said:
    What about those of us who live an hour away but also work full time jobs? Can this happen outside of normal 9-5/10-6 business hours? Like nights/weekends?
    I'm not sure what the plans are going forward so take this with a grain of salt, but I've seen Chris here with people as late as late as 9PM, so I think they sometimes do late-night stuff for those with day-jobs.
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    HMXJohnlok;259664 said:
    1. Only sign up if you're within an hour's drive of Cambridge, MA. I loved the guys from Poland who signed up, but it just isn't in the cards.
    If I promise a Harmonix developer free room and board in our guest suite, can we do the playtesting here instead? (I own a really big house.)

(Alternately... send a playtesting rig out with Harmonix bands when they go on tour! Freezepop will be in my town in a few weeks, I just saw the promotional poster this morning.)
This discussion has been closed.