Any daring Wii U pre-order people out there?

SpriteSprite Opening Act
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
One of the main things stopping me from just jumping out and pre-ordering a Wii U is not knowing what will happen with the hundreds of songs I've gotten and if I can even play online. I wasn't very hopeful about a transfer since most of the reports I saw only listed Virtual Console and WiiWare stuff. A recent article on IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/07/first-details-on-wii-to-wii-u-save-transfers) notes that "add-on content for your Wii games" will transfer. Does anyone have a Wii U in waiting that is going to attempt this? If so please let me know. I'd hate it if it all transfers, but the online component is useless.

Comments

  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited November 2012
    oreoham97;4921485 said:
    Got mine all pre-ordered. Deluxe Edition with ZombiU and Tekken.

    Tekken? Did I miss something bruther. I don't remember seeing that game anywhere dude.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    No, It hasn't interested me yet. I'll probably pick one up when the next Mario or Zelda game comes out on it, like I do with most Nintendo systems.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Cubecubed;4921522 said:
    No, It hasn't interested me yet. I'll probably pick one up when the next Mario or Zelda game comes out on it, like I do with most Nintendo systems.

    So you will be getting it day one?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Srsly. Did you not expect a Mario game to be bundled (even if you didn't know?)?
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    A Mario game isnt bundled.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Not a huge fan of those games. I meant more like a 3D Mario. I love 2D Mario games, but the NSM series never did anything for me.

    I'm also not really impressed with the system at this point, to be perfectly honest.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I thought the Wii U came out a few weeks ago?
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    nascargo19;4921542 said:
    I thought the Wii U came out a few weeks ago?

    nope comes out the 18th

    I have mine per-ordered... I should pre-order some games though
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    nascargo19;4921542 said:
    I thought the Wii U came out a few weeks ago?

    This right here is a huge problem with the Wii U.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    firedoom666;4921543 said:
    nope comes out the 18th

    I have mine per-ordered... I should pre-order some games though

    I could have swore it did.

    Anyways. I will most likely never get the Wii U. The original Wii looked cool when others had it, but then I bought it and got bored within a week. I haven't seen enough to know that this one would be any different from that view.
  • PyramidHead128PyramidHead128 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I haven't pre-ordered one... because I won one in a instant win Burger King game. :cool:
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited November 2012
    7-up is where itz at yo.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Hell no. I've gotten my hands on the cheaply made controller and played their "next" gen games. Explain to me how something that is next gen is running on 5 year old tech FROM DAY ONE. I for one will not be a sheep to Nintendo.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I signed up months ago to have Amazon let me know when this item was ready for sale. But I guess that wasn't the way to hear about the "pre-sale" - was that only done directly through Nintendo? Oh well, I'm mostly interested in buying it for my nephews, I doubt I'll get one for myself.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4921793 said:
    I signed up months ago to have Amazon let me know when this item was ready for sale. But I guess that wasn't the way to hear about the "pre-sale" - was that only done directly through Nintendo? Oh well, I'm mostly interested in buying it for my nephews, I doubt I'll get one for myself.

    Amazon isnt selling Wii U. They never were, so thats why you never got an email about it.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4921801 said:
    Amazon isnt selling Wii U. They never were, so thats why you never got an email about it.

    That would explain everything, but it's an awfully odd marketing decision, no? Is it not being sold by any online retailers (Buy.com), or even by big box places (BestBuy, Target, WalMart)? The fact that I don't automatically know the answer to this suggests to me that this system is going to sell extremely poorly ... or maybe this just reflects my complete separation from caring about Nintendo these days.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4921855 said:
    That would explain everything, but it's an awfully odd marketing decision, no? Is it not being sold by any online retailers (Buy.com), or even by big box places (BestBuy, Target, WalMart)? The fact that I don't automatically know the answer to this suggests to me that this system is going to sell extremely poorly ... or maybe this just reflects my complete separation from caring about Nintendo these days.

    Its being sold pretty much everywhere but Amazon. The rumour is that Nintendo is mad at Amazon for something to do with defective 3DSes and I dont think they sold the 3DSXL either.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    PyramidHead128;4921611 said:
    I haven't pre-ordered one... because I won one in a instant win Burger King game. :cool:

    people actually win something other then a small thing of fries? Nice!
  • PyramidHead128PyramidHead128 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    nascargo19;4922337 said:
    people actually win something other then a small thing of fries? Nice!

    I'm guessing you're talking about their Family Feud Sweepstakes thing they did recently, that's not where I won it from.

    http://www.bk.com/en/us/wii-u/index.html

    I never even used any receipts nor have I gone to Burger King recently, I just did the daily free code via e-mail and won on my third try.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4921855 said:
    That would explain everything, but it's an awfully odd marketing decision, no? Is it not being sold by any online retailers (Buy.com), or even by big box places (BestBuy, Target, WalMart)? The fact that I don't automatically know the answer to this suggests to me that this system is going to sell extremely poorly ... or maybe this just reflects my complete separation from caring about Nintendo these days.

    EVERY outlet has sold out of the Wii U. You can't pre order anymore as I have tried. And since Nintendo is first to the dance this time around with their next generation console as opposed to being last (with the original wii) this system will sell extremely WELL. Just hope I can find/buy one at retail before Christmas but I highly doubt that will happen....
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Quaszar;4923808 said:
    EVERY outlet has sold out of the Wii U. You can't pre order anymore as I have tried. And since Nintendo is first to the dance this time around with their next generation console as opposed to being last (with the original wii) this system will sell extremely WELL. Just hope I can find/buy one at retail before Christmas but I highly doubt that will happen....

    It will not sell as well as the Wii, Im positive of that. The price coupled with confusion and ignorance of people about what the Wii U actually is is going to really hurt the Wii U.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Quaszar;4923808 said:
    EVERY outlet has sold out of the Wii U. You can't pre order anymore as I have tried. And since Nintendo is first to the dance this time around with their next generation console as opposed to being last (with the original wii) this system will sell extremely WELL. Just hope I can find/buy one at retail before Christmas but I highly doubt that will happen....

    The original Wii sold many, many, maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnyyyyy more than both the PS3 and Xbox 360 put together. So it's not really a matter of when it comes out. It's a matter of it being more affordable than Sony and Microsoft's consoles, and kids liking Mario.

    edit - Double checked, and the totals are PS3 + 360 = Wii. It's well more than both individually, and roughly equal to both put together.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4923813 said:
    It will not sell as well as the Wii, Im positive of that. The price coupled with confusion and ignorance of people about what the Wii U actually is is going to really hurt the Wii U.

    The problem with the WiiU is two fold. I've been a fan of many many things from comics, to video games and a **** ton of stuff in between. I'm also almost forty now so I've seen trends like what happened with the Wii happen multiple times in multiple different areas from Baseball cards, to toys, to comics, and yes Video Games.

    What happens is you get what is known in the comic/baseball card/toy/etc collecting area as speculators. In the video game world these people are oddly called casuals. But the meaning is the same.

    What happens is the 'general public' (IE people that are not normally considered fans of...whatever) get wind of it as the new big thing and they go crazy trying to snatch it up to be part of the fad. Yes I know comics have been around since the early 30's, video games since the late 70's etc, but it's called a fad when a ton of outside people suddenly show interest in it.

    Usually every time it happens there is a massive explosion in sales and interest, and suddenly there is money flying everywhere, new companies crop up to get in on it, and the companies that are experiencing this insane amount of attention act like the good times will never end.

    And they always do. Every single time, and when it does it's almost a crushing blow that decimates the entire industry. Profits fall, companies implode, and disappear forever, and the industry tries to limp back to what the numbers were like before the 'fadders' hit.

    So after that long ass explanation, the Wii sold like it did because it was a fad or craze exactly like the dozens I've explained above (see also Tickle Me elmo, the comic book explosions of the early/mid 90's, baseball cards before that, the atari 2600 era of video games, and so on).

    Those people have long since moved on to the next big thing...which at the moment seems to be portable/IOS games (and who knows where they'll wander to next).

    So the market that Nintendo is hoping to capture again with the WiiU just doesn't exist. They've moved on. That's their first problem.

    Their second problem is the name. WiiU. They named it that to tell that very same market of 'casuals' that hey look it's the next Wii. However as stated that market has moved on, and secondly keeping the Wii name has made waaaaay too many people think the WiiU is just a controller accessory for the Wii and not a console itself. I've got a nephew who is a pretty big gamer and so is his girlfriend. Just two months ago I had to explain to them that it was an entirely new console.

    So when you've got gamers not understanding what your product is, you've got a pretty huge problem.

    The outdated tech is really going to bite them in the ass when the next gen consoles hit in 2013/14 as well seeing as how they've already said that Unreal 4 won't run on the WiiU. So there goes all your third party ports and it's the Wii all over again.

    I am a Nintendo fan from way back in the day so this isn't me wishing them ill. Quite the opposite in fact. However I think they've made some assumptions on the market that is going to bite them in the ass pretty badly on this one.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Im pretty sure the dlc will transfer and the online store will still work. The wii games will run in wii mode in the wii u, not emulated so there shouldnt be any difference.

    But im not planning on moving my dlc anyway since the wii will become a dedicated rockband training machine for me until and if we dver do get a new rock band.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4923866 said:
    The original Wii sold many, many, maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnyyyyy more than both the PS3 and Xbox 360 put together. So it's not really a matter of when it comes out. It's a matter of it being more affordable than Sony and Microsoft's consoles, and kids liking Mario.

    edit - Double checked, and the totals are PS3 + 360 = Wii. It's well more than both individually, and roughly equal to both put together.

    I never said the Wii U would sell more than the original Wii. One poster said the Wii U would sell "extremely poorly" and I countered with it will sell "extremely well". Its pre orders are sold out and I am guessing there is a HUGE waiting list if you can even get on one. With a FULL year head start on both PS4 and Xbox 720 and an exclusive game (ZombieU) getting RAVE reviews and being able to play all the old Wii discs (not sure PS4 will be able to play PS3 games) along with a lot of Wii U games being available at launch the Wii U is looking like the "must have" for 2012 Holiday season. This is not a RB thing/console war. EVERYONE knows the X Box is the best way to play RB. But from what I have seen/heard/read the Wii U gaming device will do just fine. Actually it already has....
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Quaszar;4924082 said:
    the Wii U is looking like the "must have" for 2012 Holiday season.

    lolno

    A large portion of the Wii U launch games are just ports of games that people with other systems already have and have had for weeks if not months or a year. Also it being on par with xbox specs wise and that you can get an xbox no problem and for cheaper the Wii U isnt a must have. Also like TAG mentioned Nintendo has done a HORRIBLE job at letting the general public know what the hell the Wii U is. The ad that they just put out makes it look like a new controller for the Wii, even more than they have before. I would consider myself plugged in to the industry more than most and even I didnt know it was coming out as soon as it is. The common consumer, who are mostly responsible for the outstanding sales of the Wii, just do not know anything about the Wii U.

    And the preorders selling out doesnt mean much. We dont know how many systems they put out there and its likely they did this just so they can say "Oh we sold out of preorders in 48 hours".
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4924084 said:
    lolno

    A large portion of the Wii U launch games are just ports of games that people with other systems already have and have had for weeks if not months or a year. Also it being on par with xbox specs wise and that you can get an xbox no problem and for cheaper the Wii U isnt a must have. Also like TAG mentioned Nintendo has done a HORRIBLE job at letting the general public know what the hell the Wii U is. The ad that they just put out makes it look like a new controller for the Wii, even more than they have before. I would consider myself plugged in to the industry more than most and even I didnt know it was coming out as soon as it is. The common consumer, who are mostly responsible for the outstanding sales of the Wii, just do not know anything about the Wii U.

    And the preorders selling out doesnt mean much. We dont know how many systems they put out there and its likely they did this just so they can say "Oh we sold out of preorders in 48 hours".

    One thing I will agree with you is that the "common consumer" probably doesn't know a lot about the Wii U YET, since its not OUT yet. But after a few TV commercials and weekly BestBuy/Target/Walmart,etc and INTERNET ads that problem will fix itself real quick. And then the common consumer will be in the same boat as me; UNABLE to purchase a Wii U but trying to find one ASAP. As for the pre order sellouts, your right we don't know how many were made available but sales figures after release will tell us. Hey I hope I am wrong about the Wii U 's popularity and I really don't care if it sells/ meets expectations because if I am wrong than I will be able to buy one sooner rather than later
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Quaszar;4924114 said:
    One thing I will agree with you is that the "common consumer" probably doesn't know a lot about the Wii U YET, since its not OUT yet. But after a few TV commercials and weekly BestBuy/Target/Walmart,etc and INTERNET ads that problem will fix itself real quick. And then the common consumer will be in the same boat as me; UNABLE to purchase a Wii U but trying to find one ASAP. As for the pre order sellouts, your right we don't know how many were made available but sales figures after release will tell us. Hey I hope I am wrong about the Wii U 's popularity and I really don't care if it sells/ meets expectations because if I am wrong than I will be able to buy one sooner rather than later

    The common consumer doesnt scour the internet for information about the Wii U. Nintendo has already put out an ad about the Wii U and it probably did more damage than it did help. Retail stores will do nothing to help clear up what the heck the Wii U is for the common consumer. Nintendo needed to get out in front of this as soon as they announced a follow up to the Wii. Even something as simple as calling it the Wii 2 would have done a lot to let people know that its a follow up to the Wii and not just a new controller. I still think they should have just called it the Nintendo Entertainment System.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4924126 said:
    The common consumer doesnt scour the internet for information about the Wii U. Nintendo has already put out an ad about the Wii U and it probably did more damage than it did help. Retail stores will do nothing to help clear up what the heck the Wii U is for the common consumer. Nintendo needed to get out in front of this as soon as they announced a follow up to the Wii. Even something as simple as calling it the Wii 2 would have done a lot to let people know that its a follow up to the Wii and not just a new controller. I still think they should have just called it the Nintendo Entertainment System.

    As horrid as the commercials are stylistically. They did just fine explaining what they needed to explain. They start out with 'a brand new system, with a brand new controller and this is how you will play next' they give a few examples and thats enough to hook the average consumer.

    They wont care that half the games are ports or exactly how it works. They are familiar with the wii. They know this is a new system. They need something for xmas. This is it
Sign In or Register to comment.