whats the big deal with releasing green day?

bigbbubbabigbbubba Opening Act
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
I was reading the prediction thread, everyone basically is saying that were gonna get the rest of gdrb. well please tell me, why release it? who would but it. overall its cheaper to buy the game and export it. not like its adding rb3 upgrades. i just dont understand it personally. im sure there is probably a good reason.

Comments

  • dudemann14dudemann14 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    CamoTC;4922539 said:
    Some people held off on buying it (myself included) because they only like a few Green Day tracks. So having them all available to download as singles allows for cherry-picking favorites.

    That's a part of it, definitely. Also, so then people in areas that don't have access to the GDRB disc would be able to get the songs (I saw many people say they never knew GDRB existed and/or never saw a copy of it anywhere when this was announced as happening). I can tell you that I personally haven't seen a copy of it in a good year or so at the least, and I shop in video game stores and many other places that sell them all the time so I'd believe it.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    1. There are likely more people who would want to cherry-pick what they like than buy a whole game for a few songs. 2. Blitz. 3. It raises the available DLC albums by three, raises available DLC by 40+. 4. Because Green Day is big and will still sell as DLC even though the game is available (not too convenient to get ahold of, though, especially new). 5. Because they want to and because Green Day wants them to.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Check in Wal-mart, none of the games stores locally have any new RB or GH titles. Walmart had an abundance of them and it was only 19.95 for GD:RB. Very glad I bought it there, just a little cheaper then buying them as DLC.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Hmmm.. Why does this thread give me a strong sense of deja vu?
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    I personally only want some of the songs from the game. This is a better option for me, since I don't have to spend $20 for over 40 songs when I wanted maybe 8.
  • randomasrandomas Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Pro-upgrades ... :cool:
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    CamoTC;4922539 said:
    Some people held off on buying it (myself included) because they only like a few Green Day tracks. So having them all available to download as singles allows for cherry-picking favorites.

    This is why RB:GD was such a failure. Who in their right mind would want the catalog of such a terrible band? Between that, releasing the Beatles over RB3, and the combination of a terrible RB3 setlist and being a step down in so many areas (compared to RB2 and even Lego), is why no one plays this game anymore. Oh yeah, and the terrible to playable DLC ratio. LOL
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4923232 said:
    I personally only want some of the songs from the game. This is a better option for me, since I don't have to spend $20 for over 40 songs when I wanted maybe 8.

    Assuming this is all cherry picking, that's $16 for 8 songs instead of $20 for 47. Don't you think it might be worth it to give the other 29 songs a chance for 4 more dollars?

    I bought the game completely for the full Dookie and American Idiot albums, having no desire for 21st Century Breakdown, but even that had a few fun songs on it when I played through it.
  • ZoiloCruzZoiloCruz Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Well there ain't no more copies for the export -_- They are simply helping those who have a hard time picking a copy of this game -_-
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited November 2012
    SupaThugPimpin;4923348 said:
    This is why RB:GD was such a failure. Who in their right mind would want the catalog of such a terrible band? Between that, releasing the Beatles over RB3, and the combination of a terrible RB3 setlist and being a step down in so many areas (compared to RB2 and even Lego), is why no one plays this game anymore. Oh yeah, and the terrible to playable DLC ratio. LOL
    Why are you still here if you hate everything Harmonix have done in the past three years?
  • HairyManHairyMan Always Rock On The Bright Side Of Life
    edited November 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4923492 said:
    Why are you still here if you hate everything Harmonix have done in the past three years?

    A professional troll will always be a troll.
  • toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Because that's the only way we can get pro upgrades, all two of 'em!
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited November 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4923492 said:
    Why are you still here if you hate everything Harmonix have done in the past three years?
    Yeah, even I have some nice things to say about Harmonix and their games every now and then in between my tirades about the aesthetics.
  • DekieonDekieon Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    I am glad to see this released for everyone who couldn't get the game before. Green Day is a great band, and I personally have enjoyed playing the songs on Rock Band over the years. No Rock Band party goes by with some Green Day not being chosen by someone.

    For the cherry pickers...check out the songs that aren't the BIG HITS and you may find that there are many that you like.

    For all of the haters....a band isn't around for 20+ years when they suck.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited November 2012
    Dekieon;4923539 said:
    For all of the haters....a band isn't around for 20+ years when they suck.

    ...good news for the vast majority of forum posters! Nickelback will only be around for another 3 years max!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    TubaDude49;4923354 said:
    Assuming this is all cherry picking, that's $16 for 8 songs instead of $20 for 47. Don't you think it might be worth it to give the other 29 songs a chance for 4 more dollars?

    I bought the game completely for the full Dookie and American Idiot albums, having no desire for 21st Century Breakdown, but even that had a few fun songs on it when I played through it.

    Yeah, sure, but when you really don't want the other songs, that leaves you paying for songs you really don't want. Don't think I haven't given them a chance. I have, but they're just not songs that I want. So yes, I'd rather save four dollars and use it to buy two songs I do want rather than use it on almost forty songs I don't want.

    Now if it were less expensive to just get the game than to cherry pick the songs I wanted (AKA if I wanted more songs than I do) then I'd just buy the game or something.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    bigbbubba;4922535 said:
    I was reading the prediction thread, everyone basically is saying that were gonna get the rest of gdrb. well please tell me, why release it? who would but it. overall its cheaper to buy the game and export it. not like its adding rb3 upgrades. i just dont understand it personally. im sure there is probably a good reason.

    I actually kind of like how you put your post. You say they must have done it for a good reason, instead of other people who say "Harmonix, I hate you" or "WHY ARE YOU TEARING ME APART, HARMONIX!?" I'm actually surprised I didn't see the lame "This thread is stupid" remark including a rant against the OP in one of the replies yet. I'm actually proud of you for that. You get a gold star from me. :)

    But, yeah, like everyone said. There are people who'd rather cherry pick two or three songs than pay $20 dollars for 40+ songs they will never play. And, it actually benefits people who already have the export already and want to play certain songs online with people.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2012
    TubaDude49;4923354 said:
    Assuming this is all cherry picking, that's $16 for 8 songs instead of $20 for 47. Don't you think it might be worth it to give the other 29 songs a chance for 4 more dollars?

    If I had known I would eventually have the option to cherry pick eventually, I probably wouldn't have bought the game, just for the massive amount of space the 45 tracks take up on my hard drive and on the song select screen. Though since I ended up getting a bigger hard drive it's a moot point now, but when I was on a 20-gig drive it was a tough decision to buy the game.
  • rockfighterrockfighter Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    they want to see if selling Green Day as separate download works out and then they will be ready for Beatles and even the other songs (in the past rock bands), I'm getting all the green day songs, anynone knows how the 21st Century album works? I already have green day pack 01 & 02, so if I'm getting the album I get the other tracks or the whole album??

    in wikipedia description it says "core" for the green day songs, does it means that some songs could have keyboard and Pro-keys?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited November 2012
    The Beatles might have been likely to follow if that game exported three years ago.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    rockfighter;4923702 said:
    they want to see if selling Green Day as separate download works out and then they will be ready for Beatles and even the other songs (in the past rock bands), I'm getting all the green day songs, anynone knows how the 21st Century album works? I already have green day pack 01 & 02, so if I'm getting the album I get the other tracks or the whole album??

    in wikipedia description it says "core" for the green day songs, does it means that some songs could have keyboard and Pro-keys?

    None of the DLC Green Day songs have key parts. So no Keys.

    Also, the Green Day Pack 01 & 02 songs are included in the 21st Century album so you may have to cherry pick or get the whole album if it is the cheaper option.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4923492 said:
    Why are you still here if you hate everything Harmonix have done in the past three years?

    So they get better.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    rockfighter;4923702 said:
    and then they will be ready for Beatles

    IF the label will allow them to, which I know for a fact they won't, at least not for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited November 2012
    SupaThugPimpin;4923770 said:
    So they get better.
    Same reason I'm still posting, then :D
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited November 2012
    SupaThugPimpin;4923348 said:
    This is why RB:GD was such a failure. Who in their right mind would want the catalog of such a terrible band? Between that, releasing the Beatles over RB3, and the combination of a terrible RB3 setlist and being a step down in so many areas (compared to RB2 and even Lego), is why no one plays this game anymore. Oh yeah, and the terrible to playable DLC ratio. LOL

    Someone needs to lay off the alcohol...
  • WIIBARONWIIBARON Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    GD:RB unavailable? Hard to find? Unaccessable? Not at Walmart or Gamestop? HOGWASH! I believe AMAZON.COM will deliver a copy to your doorstep for $20 even if you live in Santas' Village{PS HI Santa,I've been REALLY good this whole year!]. Or Easter,Christmas,Fiji,Azores or Madagascar Islands.Pretty much wherever people live, they can buy GD:RB. AS long as you live on EARTH! [PS Sorry Martians and Saturnites!]
  • gamesurfgamesurf Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Additionally, some products in the following categories:

    automotive, baby, clothing, consumer electronics, health and personal care, home and garden, industrial and scientific, jewelry, pet supplies, shoes, software, sporting goods, tools, toys, video games, and watches
    can be shipped to the following countries:

    Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Venezuela
    You're 1 for 6. They do ship to Santa's Village, New Hampshire.

    Even if you do live on one of the above areas, is buying it new, plus tax, plus export fees, plus shipping fees, plus customs fees is going to be worth it?

    Especially if all you wanted was Good Riddance (Time of Your Life?)
  • vexx0820vexx0820 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Well, not a green day fan as such, but I do like the ongoing DLC. I'd like to see more 80s and 90s rock ... mostly because that's much of the atmosphere of the game.

    If Green Day fans are happy, here's some confetti ... just don't get upset if I happen to squeee over some Hagar, Eurythmics or ZZ Top.
  • RiffrockratRiffrockrat Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I think Green Day is a great band, and I am familiar with and like their radio hits. I am not, however, a fan of the band, per se. I don't have albums, I don't know or really want to know their deep cuts. More importantly, I play songs using the tour themed setlists or party shuffle. Either way, I do not want over 40 songs from one band skewing the RNG that bad (AC/DC is already a bit annoying at times, when a 90s setlist comes up in tour). And as great as Green Day is, I do not want every other song, or whatever, to be a Green Day song. I will be cherry picking three songs from them (to add to the two I had from the earlier packs), and that is sufficient Green Day representation for my setlist.

    I think it is a great, read, option for some people. Thank you, Harmonix.

    Edit P.S. Yes, I am aware Green Day has had more than five radio hits. I just chose my particular favorites.
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited November 2012
    Pitch-Black;4922891 said:
    1. There are likely more people who would want to cherry-pick what they like than buy a whole game for a few songs. 2. Blitz. 3. It raises the available DLC albums by three, raises available DLC by 40+. 4. Because Green Day is big and will still sell as DLC even though the game is available (not too convenient to get ahold of, though, especially new). 5. Because they want to and because Green Day wants them to.

    I've never considered Green Day a big band bruther :)
Sign In or Register to comment.