Green Day got the full game DLC... so why not Rock Band 2?

gamesover101gamesover101 Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
I've been looking for a new copy of RB2 for ages. I've went to every retail store that I could possibly think of surfing for a new copy of this precious gem but didn't have any luck. So, since Green Day Rock Band had the privilege of getting released as DLC, does anyone think they might do the same for RB2 in the future?

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Because its easier to work with one band, one label, to allow Harmonix to release the songs as dlc than 84 of them.

/thread
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    gamesover101;4924163 said:
    I've been looking for a new copy of RB2 for ages. I've went to every retail store that I could possibly think of surfing for a new copy of this precious gem but didn't have any luck. So, since Green Day Rock Band had the privilege of getting released as DLC, does anyone think they might do the same for RB2 in the future?
    http://www.ebay.com/
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    They've already said no. Why not? Because getting Green Day DLC requires licensing tracks by one artist and one label. Basically one set of meetings between HMX's legal/finance people and one team of label reps. To relicense a game that has 50+ tracks scattered between 50+ artists and across all four big labels and their sublabels.. is a monumentally greater effort.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    New copies of RB2 are available for all platforms at Amazon, all eligible for Prime shipping.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Also, new copies are only important for the Free 20. A used copy in good condition is still otherwise playable and importing RB2 songs only requires a code (and ten dollars) that is easy enough to acquire legitimately if the original doesn't work on its own.

And yeah, HMX is very unlikely to go through the song list for RB2 and try to individually license them for release as DLC. They're only making the effort for the songs that were not included in the import.
    edited November 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4924177 said:
    importing RB2 songs only requires a code (and ten dollars)

An unused code which you will likely not find in a used copy of the game.
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4924181 said:

Do you even know what I'm talking about? The actual status of the code in a used copy of RB2 is immaterial. Even buying a used copy of RB2 that doesn't even include the game manual is not an impediment to importing the RB2 tracks.
    edited November 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4924203 said:
    Do you even know what I'm talking about? The actual status of the code in a used copy of RB2 is immaterial. Even buying a used copy of RB2 that doesn't even include the game manual is not an impediment to importing the RB2 tracks.
    AFAIK you need an unused code to export the tracks--this is as per the export directions. How do you do it without one?
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    mikeyts;4924218 said:
    AFAIK you need an unused code to export the tracks--this is as per the export directions. How do you do it without one?

Go in the in-game menu and select "Export." The code is for the RB2 20 Free Songs Pack.

Whoops, for some reason I was thinking RB1, which didn't need a code. Maybe he's doing the same?
    edited November 2012
    mikeyts;4924218 said:

Contact EA or HMX or whomever gives out the codes. They've been doing it for two years now. It only works for RB2 because as LHV says, the unused code is only specifically needed for the Free 20.

If a person bought RB2, downloaded the Free 20, and kept the game until the release of RB3, then they just use the code they already have to get the RB2 import. But from the very beginning, they were handing out codes for the import like they were candy to anybody who asked for one. And why not? You can't get the import without paying the extra $10 anyway.

An unused RB2 code is only strictly necessary for the Free 20. Beyond that, it only saves the hassle of getting a new one for the RB2 import.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4924181 said:

I don't understand this 'likely not'. RB2 sold about 2 million units. The most popular RB2-export track has logged, what, 85,000 scores in RB3? The overwhelming majority of copies piling up at pawnshops, craigslist, and garage sales were owned by people who never exported it.

Sure, there's a risk of it being already-redeemed. But I'd say it's far from 'likely'. The number of RB2 manual codes that have actually been redeemed for RB3 export is a distinct minority.
  • Iceman71421Iceman71421 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I took a gamble on buying a used copy of green day for 5 bucks at a gamestop in the hopes that the code wouldnt be used. I figured if the code didnt work I could always play a couple of the green day songs I wanted to play within the game itself. Luckily the code had not been used so I was able to export it.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    I asked hmxhenry in this week's DLC thread, and people have pretty much already given the answer he gave:
    SheSaidSheSaid;4923044 said:
    So are RB1, 2, and Lego coming to the store as well?
    hmxhenry;4923050 said:
    I'd love to be able to do that, but unfortunately licensing DLC agreements with 1 band / 1 label is likely a whole lot easier than licensing 80+ songs from who knows how many labels. Discs and DLC are licensed differently, so reworking all that stuff can be a huge nightmare as it would potentially mean reauthoring, retesting and resubmitting songs. We were fortunate that we were able to do it with Green Day.
    edited November 2012
    thatmarkguy;4924241 said:
    I don't understand this 'likely not'. RB2 sold about 2 million units. The most popular RB2-export track has logged, what, 85,000 scores in RB3? The overwhelming majority of copies piling up at pawnshops, craigslist, and garage sales were owned by people who never exported it.

Sure, there's a risk of it being already-redeemed. But I'd say it's far from 'likely'. The number of RB2 manual codes that have actually been redeemed for RB3 export is a distinct minority.

To be fair, they could be referring to a situation where the game manual is simply not in the case for a used purchase. So you likely will not find the code for use.

But, yeah. Going by your guess, a consumer is far more likely to find a code that can be used to import the RB2 songs (though potentially not the Free 20) into RB3 than not. Even bumping the numbers of imports to 200,000 still would mean a nine in ten chance of a working code.

That's a better result than the last three weeks of the Pepsi promo...
    edited November 2012
    thatmarkguy;4924241 said:

I have exported RB2 and you wont fine many scores on RB2 songs from me. That doesnt really matter. People use the code or sell it or what ever, or they dont even turn it in when they trade it in. Id say its likely that you will not find an unused code in a random used copy of RB2
    edited November 2012
    Are you really trying to suggest that a significant number out of a suggested two million people used a code and paid $10 for the privilege and then didn't bother to play any of the songs in Rb3 ever?

Really?
    edited November 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4924298 said:
    Are you really trying to suggest that a significant number out of a suggested two million people used a code and paid $10 for the privilege and then didn't bother to play any of the songs in Rb3 ever?

Really?
    Yes. You try to find an unused code and then tell me how it goes.
  • HairlooksgreatHairlooksgreat Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4924304 said:

I bought a used copy of RB2 on Ebay last January before I knew anything about export codes or if I was even going to like the playing the game. Decided on RB2 over RB3 because of the setlist. When I finally bought RB3 a few months later, I tried the export code and it worked like a champ. So there's one.
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4924304 said:

So you would stand behind the theory that, say, 1.5 million people bought new copies of Rock Band 2 at some point, kept the game in their possession the entire time, purchased Rock Band 3, and then used the code on the back of the manual in conjunction with a $10 fee to purchase content that, maybe, only ten percent ever even bothered to use, online, in the newer game that they just bought, and then through whatever means deposited their copy of the game in a store for some other sucker to buy?
    edited November 2012
    Inasmuch as RB3 sales didn't come close to RB2's it seems likely that there are plenty of used copies available with usable export codes. Of course, you take a risk buying one.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4924374 said:
    So you would stand behind the theory that, say, 1.5 million people bought new copies of Rock Band 2 at some point, kept the game in their possession the entire time, purchased Rock Band 3, and then used the code on the back of the manual in conjunction with a $10 fee to purchase content that, maybe, only ten percent ever even bothered to use, online, in the newer game that they just bought, and then through whatever means deposited their copy of the game in a store for some other sucker to buy?
    It's not that inconceivable that someone would sell a game after downloading 94% of its content for another game, and there's no way to tell which copies came from that and which were pawned a year or two earlier.
  • StackOverflow0xStackOverflow0x Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    The fact is, RB2 exporting is becoming a rapidly disappearing feature. Soon, it may not even be possible export them anymore. I just wonder how it will be handled in the future.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    StackOverflow0x;4924433 said:
    The fact is, RB2 exporting is becoming a rapidly disappearing feature. Soon, it may not even be possible export them anymore. I just wonder how it will be handled in the future.

It's still easier than Lego