2012-23 College Basketball Thread

CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
edited March 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
With the season starting in earnest tonight with some great matchups (MSU vs. Kansas, Duke Vs. Kentucky), I thought it would be a good time to start this thread back up again.

As some of you probably know, I'm a Michigan State fan/Alumnus, and I expect us to be very good this year. Gary Harris and Branden Dawson are easily one of the best SG/SF combos in the country.

We're doing our usual early season thing, playing very good teams and losing, but we'll be ready by March, as any team coached by Tom Izzo usually is.

EDIT: If any mod sees this, could you fix the thread title? I mistyped, lol.

Comments

• SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    This thread is good for 11 seasons, cool :p

I watched a lot of the Tipoff Marathon. I had nothing better to do :$

Also, my school is the defending Division II national champions. They played Duke in an exhibition game! We're hosting a two-day invitational next week....on Black Friday and the Saturday after. Damn. Wish I coulda gone :|
    edited November 2012
    Puerto Rico Tip-Off on Watch ESPN. Tennessee's running circles around NC Asheville. Not much defense being played by the Bulldogs.

Next match is Baylor vs. Boston College.
    edited November 2012
    Whoa, a BC player hit a half-court jump shot to beat the first-half buzzer! That was pretty frickin cool. Look for that shot on the highlight reels.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    I think Tennessee has chance to be pretty good this year.
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited November 2012
    lol, why put 2023, you just could've put to infinity! :p
    edited November 2012
    It was a typo. The 2 is right next to the 1, ya know ;\

Dayton and BC on right now. Dayton's wearing blue jerseys. Weird!
  • sillystousillystou Headliner
    edited November 2012
    I was trying to be a wise ass. Not easy on the internet hehe
  • wreckem279wreckem279 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Texas Tech 2-0 so far with interim head coach Chris Walker.

We actually have a fair amount of athleticism on the roster (and aren't all FR, now all SOPH :p). Hopefully we compete a little better than we did last year.
    edited November 2012
    Cornell and Wisconsin on Watch ESPN. Halfway point of the first half, and Wisconsin's up 18-4.

Yeah. 4. After ten minutes.

Bo Ryan teams usually have great defenses, but damn.
    edited November 2012
    GREAT finish to Butler/Marquette just now. Butler hits a contested, one-handed 3 at the buzzer to win 72-71!
    edited November 2012
    Yeah that was amazing. College basketball is definitely back, and I couldn't be happier.
    edited November 2012
    Wow Texas is bad. They lost to Chaminade, and now they just lost to USC 59-53. In overtime.
    edited November 2012
    Several matches on right now:

7:00 PM EST Columbia vs. Villanova
    7:00 PM EST Washington State vs. Texas A&M (Exclusive 3rd Place): CBE Hall of Fame
    7:00 PM EST Campbell vs. #22 Cincinnati
    7:00 PM EST Savannah State vs. #7 Florida
    7:30 PM EST Boston University vs. Rutgers (Exclusive)
    7:30 PM EST UCLA vs. Georgia (3rd Place)

Which one should I watch....
    edited November 2012
    Wound up watching WSU/TAMU. Pretty boring most of the way, but a great finish as TAMU hit a near-buzzer beater (left like 2 seconds on the clock) to win by 1.

But Butler is just destroying UNC. This is crazy!
    edited November 2012
    And then Carolina decided to show up...Butler led by 29 at one point (60-31). UNC closed to within 6 at 77-71, but wound up losing 82-71.
    edited November 2012
    Close one tonight for us. It's the wins you get when you don't play well that are most important, though.
    edited November 2012
    Illinois is up 18 on Chaminade, so it looks like the finals in Maui will be

Championship: Butler vs. Illinois
    3rd Place: North Carolina vs. Chaminade
    5th Place: Marquette vs. USC
    7th place: Mississippi State vs. Texas

Mississippi State and Texas have both looked dreadful so far (I mean, Texas losing to Chaminade? Seriously?!?) but for the other three games I'd say the first team listed is a solid favorite. Chaminade has won 8 times in the history of their Invitational, but never twice in one year.
    edited November 2012
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4931246 said:
    Division III player scores 138 points in a game. All-time NCAA record, all divisions.

And here's a link to the game, which is pretty funny to watch, especially for those of you who've played organized bball before.

Let me also add these fun tidbits about the game and Grinnell:

1) Grinnell is D3 in the NCAA, but Faith Baptist is D2 NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association). Yes, you read that correctly, they're division 2 of a religious association. Nothing against that, but, they're not good, as you can see if you watch the link above. Also if you watch the link, you'll hear the play-by-play guy even say they scheduled Faith Baptist so they could try and break these scoring records. How much of that is true, I'm not sure, but it seems like they chose Faith Baptists specifically for this.

2) The game was counted as an exhibition for Faith Baptist, but for some reason it counted as a regular season game for Grennell. Score one for NCAA rules I guess.

3) Grinnell's offensive system is a run and gun offense where the players shoot within 5 seconds, usually a 3. They also full-court press on made shots, forcing turnovers, while mostly ignoring half-court D. The philosophy is to trade 3s for 2s and outshoot your opponents.

While this isn't inherently bad, as the Suns ran a quick-shot system under D'antoni, Grinnell almost completely ignores defense to the point where usually only 2 or 3 guys make it past the half-court line. Watching the video, you'll see many times where Grinnell lets Faith have an uncontested layup so they can quickly in-bound and rush down to shoot another 3.

4) Players are usually subbed in as groups of 4 or 5, in 2-3 minute intervals. Kind of like hockey lines.

5) They have a group of freshman called "the bomb squad", where if the opponent is in the double bonus, this group is subbed in to immediately foul if they don't get a turnover. This, obviously, stops the clock and allows for more shots to be taken by Grinnell players.

6) On many occasions, if Taylor missed and his teammate rebounded, the teammate would sacrifice an easy open layup to get Taylor another shot. A lot of the offense was Taylor making a few stutter dribbles to shake his defender and hoist up a shot...and, yes, Faith Baptist rarely double teamed him, and never triple or quadruple teamed him.

7) Larson for Faith Baptist scored 70, with a majority of them coming from a full-court pass while Grinnell pressed. And, yes, Grinnell never put a guy back to intercept the pass, giving Larson uncontested layups the majority of the game.

While it's impressive for a guy to take 100 shots and make enough to score 130 points (I played basketball and shooting a ton wears you down), I can't really say this is an achievement since everything was stacked in Taylor's favor. Well within the rules of basketball, but to me it's a really cheap and hollow achievement. If this was against similarly skilled opponents (D3 or above), I suppose I wouldn't mind it as much. But, really...watch the video and see for yourself. Faith Baptist probably couldn't have beaten my 8th grade basketball team.

Then again, it's D3, and these little quirks give it national attention. *shrugs*
    edited November 2012
    Good stuff CJ, thanks.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    No problem. I mean, I don't want to take anything away from Taylor, but his efficiency was terrible. Even though I mentioned it in my previous post, you can't even say taking 100 shots will tire him out, because he rarely played any D. In fact, if you watch, he rarely even crosses half-court.

Now, maybe because Baptist is terrible and Grinnell lead by 30+ most of the game, the team just didn't care about D at all. I'm sure against harder opponents the coach would sub in a fresh 5 every 3 minutes like the system says. But this specific game was pretty blatantly set up for one of the players to try and score 100+.

Oddly enough, I think if Taylor had just driven the entire game and shot layups or little jumpers, he could have scored 160+ easily. Baptist is *that* bad, and Taylor looked like he spent way more energy juking and shooting threes off the dribble.
    edited November 2012
    I just heard the commentators for the Maui matches talking about it. And yeah, they were sorta laughing about it, too.
    edited November 2012
    lol Maryland playing in the ACC/Big Ten challenge....who're they playing for? :p

How weird is it gonna be be when Duke vs. Maryland is an ACC/Big Ten challenge game?
    edited November 2012
    How loaded is the B1G going to be in a couple years? Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Ohio State AND Maryland? Holy crap.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    This looks like a good Battle 4 Atlantis bracket. Hopefully Duke can hold off VCU, and then Louisville faces Missouri on the late battle. Can't wait to watch that. MIZ!
    edited November 2012
    nascarfan19;4931951 said:
    This looks like a good Battle 4 Atlantis bracket.

All eight teams are either ranked or receiving votes. So yeah, I'd say it's a pretty strong field.
    edited December 2012
    That Mizzou-UCLA game? That's the biggest bulls*** of an upset there'll be all season. So ticked off.
    edited March 2013
    Bumped because Madness?

I've only fallen on the Oregon upset, gotten everything else in my bracket.