Wii U

Blucher28Blucher28 Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Nintendo Wii
The new Wii U comes out on Sunday...I've written to Nintendo and to Harmonix and no one seems to know if any of the Wii Rock Band Games or instruments will work with the new Wii U hardware. Does anyone out there in the Rock Band players world know yet? Someone has to have tested these things...

Comments

• Mr-TyKMr-TyK Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    If they don't know, then officially no one does.

I was reading about the new Wii U and the article claimed that old Wii title will be backward compatible.
    If the includes Rock Band and the controllers, I don't know.
    I thought about maybe getting a Wii U but its a bit pricey and all I play is Rock Band 2 & 3 Some Beatles Rock band and a touch of GHWT on rare occasion.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I don't see why the GH instruments wouldn't work, they use the wiimote, they are mapped as a classic controller. If the Wii U allows Wii updates for the RB instruments it should work, the huge question about the Wii U is will it use the DLC you're bought on the Wii? Seeing how the console sees if you bought a song or not, most likely no.
  • hsubandhsuband Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I would be interested in DLC transfer function. It is said at the official website that the Wii game and downloaded data can be transferred from Wii to Wii U. If all the rockband controller can be used on the Wii U, then Transfer to Wii U maybe is the only way to salvage my DLC before my old Wii kick the bucket. However, no specific information about rock band DLC. It is reported that the game data transfer function will not be available at release but at later date as a system update...
  • ElementicianElementician Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    a fellow RB3 player said that Rock Band 3 works with the Wii-U but their is no online support for it yet
    edited November 2012
    I have no trouble believing that the game works on Wii-U. But like the NGC on the wii, I doubt that online play will work on Wii-U with any wii games.
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    What if I'm playing rb3 on an old wii, and my friend is playing rb3 on a wii u.
    Will we be able to invite/join/play together online?
    edited November 2012
    esquehill;4928878 said:
    What if I'm playing rb3 on an old wii, and my friend is playing rb3 on a wii u.
    Will we be able to invite/join/play together online?
    Alternity;4928866 said:
    I have no trouble believing that the game works on Wii-U. But like the NGC on the wii, I doubt that online play will work on Wii-U with any wii games.
    And also, as far as I know, someone else mentionned that online play on Wii U doesn't work, Right above my post.
    edited November 2012
    Players on Wii will be able to play with players on the Wii-U, online play isn't enabled yet on the Wii-U their working on it.
    edited November 2012
    Elementician;4929055 said:
    Players on Wii will be able to play with players on the Wii-U, online play isn't enabled yet on the Wii-U their working on it.

Really? cross-console compatibility for online play? This is a first, and amazing at the same time. The only other thing I've seen like this is FFXI, and it's an MMO. Do you have a source? I'd like to see that with my own eyes. lol
    edited November 2012
    someone that I know told me that, its not like its crossing consoles like a Wii to a PS3, its a Nintendo product, its a Wii, just a new version.
    edited November 2012
    Elementician;4929075 said:
    someone that I know told me that, its not like its crossing consoles like a Wii to a PS3, its a Nintendo product, its a Wii, just a new version.

It's cross console, just within the same company. It never happened before, so it's a first.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    so there's no online play yet for Wii titles, but you already know it's cross-console? yeah, definitely gonna need some more confirmation on this than "someone told me"
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited November 2012
    It's the same version of the same game; it's no different from playing 2DS games online on a 3DS.
    edited November 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4929141 said:
    It's the same version of the same game; it's no different from playing 2DS games online on a 3DS.

I can understand this on handled consoles, not very hard to emulate the thing, however, I've never, ever seen a house console that can do that yet, and still not sure this is true. The only thing that is cross-console is FFXI so far.
  • murphmurph Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929083 said:
    It's cross console, just within the same company. It never happened before, so it's a first.
    What about Xbox/Xbox 360? I could play Halo 2 on my Xbox vs you on Xbox 360. Well, until they turned off the XBL service for Xbox that is :)
    edited November 2012
    murph;4929149 said:
    What about Xbox/Xbox 360? I could play Halo 2 on my Xbox vs you on Xbox 360. Well, until they turned off the XBL service for Xbox that is :)

Yeah but the emulation on xbox isn't that great, and I didn't even know that frankly. I'm kinda surprised by that news.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929083 said:
    Um, couldn't you play Halo online across both Xboxes?
    edited November 2012
    Bront20;4929204 said:
    Um, couldn't you play Halo online across both Xboxes?

See the posts above.
  • Blucher28Blucher28 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Guys, I was asking if anyone new if the RB3 game and the RB2 instruments would work with the new Wii U because The nintendo site says that the Wii U will be backwards compatible with MOST Wii games and accessories. I haven't seen anything that looks like RB or GH coming out for the Wii U. The closest thing is the Wii Sing game. I didn't even think about the GH stuff because I don't play those very much anymore. Yikes! I did write to Nintendo and here is there answer:

"Regarding Rock Band accessories, I'm sorry to say that I don't have any information as to whether or not they will be compatible with Wii U at this time. Also, it sounds like you may have been asking if you will be able to move your Virtual Console games from your Wii console to Wii U via SD or SDHC Card. If so, there is no way to transfer the content just by inserting an SD Card. However, the good news is that Wii U owners will be able to wirelessly transfer content to their Wii U system, but both systems will need to be present and connected to the Internet in order to do so. Also, Wii U will need an SD Card in order to transfer, and this process will be similar to transferring content from a Nintendo DSi or Nintendo 3DS to another Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL system."
    I asked about DLC and they answered about Virtual Console games, so who knows.

When I wrote to Harmonix asking the same questions, this was their answer:

"We actually haven’t been given any info about hardware or DLC compatibility from Nintendo, but we’ll definitely share the news as soon as we know more!"

This was why I decided to reach out the the RB community. Unbelievable that no one tested any of this stuff!
    edited November 2012
    HMX can't, and Nintendo has no incentive too.

Early reports have DLC migration as an issue, but no one has said anything about actual gameplay.
    edited November 2012
    one of my RB3 players said that RB3 looks great on the Wii-U and they have a program on the Wii Shop Channel that lets you convert everything on your Wii to the Wii-U even the DLC and save data
    edited November 2012
    Blucher28;4929255 said:
    Guys, I was asking if anyone new if the RB3 game and the RB2 instruments would work with the new Wii U because The nintendo site says that the Wii U will be backwards compatible with MOST Wii games and accessories. I haven't seen anything that looks like RB or GH coming out for the Wii U. The closest thing is the Wii Sing game. I didn't even think about the GH stuff because I don't play those very much anymore. Yikes! I did write to Nintendo and here is there answer:

"Regarding Rock Band accessories, I'm sorry to say that I don't have any information as to whether or not they will be compatible with Wii U at this time. Also, it sounds like you may have been asking if you will be able to move your Virtual Console games from your Wii console to Wii U via SD or SDHC Card. If so, there is no way to transfer the content just by inserting an SD Card. However, the good news is that Wii U owners will be able to wirelessly transfer content to their Wii U system, but both systems will need to be present and connected to the Internet in order to do so. Also, Wii U will need an SD Card in order to transfer, and this process will be similar to transferring content from a Nintendo DSi or Nintendo 3DS to another Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL system."
    I asked about DLC and they answered about Virtual Console games, so who knows.

When I wrote to Harmonix asking the same questions, this was their answer:

"We actually haven’t been given any info about hardware or DLC compatibility from Nintendo, but we’ll definitely share the news as soon as we know more!"

This was why I decided to reach out the the RB community. Unbelievable that no one tested any of this stuff!

Some people did some test, look in the Rock Band forums, there's a thread about it.
  • Blucher28Blucher28 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I'll have to check that out, thanks!
    edited November 2012
    The backward compatibility of the Wii U is achieved by the Wii mode or Wii Channel as they put it. It is just like the old Wii. For testing, I took Lego disk and a guitar to the Wii U in Wii mode. It work right away. No issue at all for the instrument itself. The graph on the 1080p screen is just as good as it on the 480p if not better. The game play is very very smooth. No issue there .

However, I have not transfer my Old Wii to WiiU yet for the following reasons:
    1. It is said that once it is transferred, all the data in old Wii will be transfer at the same time and be deleted from the old system. Since there is a lot of DLC, I would rather let the 'official' to perform the test before I try it myself.
    2. The old Wii still work and can be used as a RB3 station for now.
    3. My biggest question is will a new RB3 U coming out? If so, will the DLC works with any new RB-U tittle in the future?
    4. Online playing? No idea. I cannot connect to RB3 server for a few weeks already...
    edited November 2012
    Wii mode in WiiU is exactly like the old Wii. The RB3 looks very good in WiiU Wii mode. It looks like the 480p graph is somewhat up-converted to 960p with a black frame in a 1080p display. You can access the leader board to check your score. You can play online with other player. You can use the Pro insturments. You can also access the music store.

The console is very cool during all the game play comparing to the old Wii. it would mean that the WiiU has a lot more CPU and GPU power to handle the every games that I had played. Some of them are 1080p FPS including the COD Black OP2. Quite a capable game console.

According to the Nintendo, the Wii-WiiU transfer should include all your shopping and in game purchase activities. I would say that since the DLC purchase is operated by Nintendo, all purchase should also be transferred. Again, I have not transfer my game to WiiU so I can't testfy for that.
  • Bay78Bay78 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Well I successfully swapped over all my wii content to the Wii U including my Rock Band 2 DLC. However I had to format my SD card and re download all my DLC onto the SD card. I had A LOT of fun playing Rock Band 2 the other night and am going to buy Rock Band 3 now because of it. I thought I was finished with Rock Band but I was WRONG! But..... the only thing that didn't work for me was online play. Did they suspend online play for the Wii on Rock band 2? Or is that an issue of playing Rock Band 2 on Wii U? If anybody knows this and can fill me in on it that would be great.
    edited November 2012
    Bay78;4933527 said:
    Did they suspend online play for the Wii on Rock band 2? Or is that an issue of playing Rock Band 2 on Wii U? If anybody knows this and can fill me in on it that would be great.
    There's a known issue where connectivity with Rock Central is problematic on the Wii, and this would likely effect RB2 as well as RB3.