Rock Band Named One Of Time Magazine's 100 Greatest Video Games!

edited November 2012 in Rock Band
It’s hard to imagine a world without video games. For some, they’re a simple diversion — a way to pass time. For others, they’re a portal to strange and wonderful alternate universes. For everyone, whether you’re into video games or not, they’re an integrally important part of our culture.

From Adventure to Zork, here are our picks for the All-TIME 100 greatest video games.

Full list: http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all-time-100-video-games/slide/all/

Rock Band's entry: http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all-time-100-video-games/slide/rock-band-2007/

This list is jam packed full of awesome and we're thrilled to be included. Check it out!

Comments

• SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    They're finally finding out what we have known all along. Congrats Rock Band!!!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    Not a fan of the list, myself, but it's still cool to see Rock Band get included in any of these lists. I just wish that his top spots weren't all "These games are important, so they're put on top even if they're not as fun as others."
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 2012
    Congrats Harmonix! You deserve it!
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    46% of the people there voted that RB shouldn't be on that list

46% of the people there never played RB
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I think that a lot more people would like Rock Band if they had friends who convinced them to try it out. I lost contact with several of my friends who have been playing Rock Band for years with me. We all loved it but I only have one friend in town who ever played. I got three of my other friends to play with me because it had been a while and I wanted people to play it and now it's something we do every once in a while on a semi-regular basis. So I don't see many people going past the apathy of just not getting around to playing it. They're fun games.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4926769 said:
    46% of the people there voted that RB shouldn't be on that list

46% of the people there never played RB
    i saw that too. and apparently rock band didn't come out on wii at all.
    and Okami is there but no Ocarina of Time?

seriously? a clone?
    edited November 2012
    topdrawer;4926780 said:

seriously? a clone?

I'm confused. It did come out on the Wii.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    atalkingfish;4926782 said:
    I'm confused. It did come out on the Wii.
    under platform it only lists xbox and ps3
    edited November 2012
    topdrawer;4926780 said:
    i saw that too.

i'm actually serious about that, I have never heard anyone who played it say it sucked. except maybe the people that are so set on hating it that they don't give it a fair chance
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4926786 said:
    i'm actually serious about that, I have never heard anyone who played it say it sucked. except maybe the people that are so set on hating it that they don't give it a fair chance

There is a hipster crowed that thinks they're better than it... but their opinions don't matter in anything, ever.
    edited November 2012
    topdrawer;4926784 said:
    under platform it only lists xbox and ps3

Oh. Duh. Yeah, that's incorrect but whatever. I guess... it was released LATE on the Wii...
    edited November 2012
    topdrawer;4926780 said:

seriously? a clone?

In fact, only the first Zelda game is listed there. Seriously, that's ridiculous. The first one isn't even as good as most of the others!

And don't say "Well, he's doing the first one in ever series" because he included Arkham City, a sequel.

And any list that includes "Angry Birds" or "Wii Sports" as one of the best games of all time gives me a sinking feeling that the person compiling it used sales and download stats instead of personal taste.

And his Chrono Trigger post even seems like he hates the game, yet he included it for the nerds.

In other words, this list isn't good at all from my standpoint. But at least it has Rock Band and lacks CoD (IMO the most overrated series of all time).
  • CrueHead871CrueHead871 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Way to go HMX!!! This just validates my addiction. I've been playing games since pong, ( legit old dude ) and I'll be playing this til I'm dead... seriously. Greatest franchise EVER, in this guys humble opinion.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    First, congrats to Harmonix! Personally I think Blitz should be thrown in there also, but whatever. It's only an online list. :P
    jibjqrkl;4926786 said:
    While I wouldn't say I've heard people say that Rock Band sucked, I've seen a few people feel apathetic towards it, even after we convinced them to try it out. Like all games, it's not for everyone, and not everyone is going to love it.

However, these are people who wouldn't vote in online polls; so *shrugs*.
    LiveHomeVideo;4926797 said:
    And any list that includes "Angry Birds" or "Wii Sports" as one of the best games of all time gives me a sinking feeling that the person compiling it used sales and download stats instead of personal taste..

[...]

In other words, this list isn't good at all from my standpoint. But at least it has Rock Band and lacks CoD (IMO the most overrated series of all time).

While Wii Sports isn't all that great, if I remember correctly Angry Birds was a driving force in cementing the popularity of the iOS platform as a casual gaming device. While the game play is simple, it's addicting, smooth, accessible for all ages, and is just a well developed game. You can't knock it off just because it's a casual game, especially since it's a multi-million (billion?) dollar market now.

If Tetris, Frogger, and Pong can make it (and they rightly should), so can Angry Birds. :P

Also, it has CoD 4: MW. Just to give you more fuel to hate it. ^_^

Edit: Oh, and this list is sorely lacking "Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa", which is an egregious oversight bordering on a crime against humanity.
    edited November 2012
    Cod 4 was actually a pretty good game until the first few Activision patches came out.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Huge Kudos to HMX, that an awesome achievement. There is some pretty stellar games on that list, RB being the best IMO!!
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Congrats, HMX. It's well deserved.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Could have save me the click and put "Position 94".
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2012
    I'm just glad to see Nethack's on the list.

...and, y'know. Rock Band.

.@...d..=!
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Blasteroids;4927477 said:
    Could have save me the click and put "Position 94".

It doesn't seem like it's really ranked.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Thank GOD Zork is on the list.

Rock Band, too!
    edited November 2012
    CJHobbes;4927296 said:

Also, it has CoD 4: MW. Just to give you more fuel to hate it. ^_^

Dangit!
  • edited November 2012
    Runesmith;4927550 said:
    Thank GOD Zork is on the list.

Rock Band, too!

Reminder: Mike Dornbrook, who was with Infocom for the launch of Zork, used to work at Harmonix and he was in charge of the Community Team for a number of years: http://www.rockband.com/blog/mike_dornbrook_desk

A lot of our initiatives, including the newsletter, support and general approach to community interaction, was influenced by Mike and the way he drove things on Zork. There's your Zork to RB connection for the day!
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    hmxhenry;4927567 said:
    Reminder: Mike Dornbrook, who was with Infocom for the launch of Zork, used to work at Harmonix and he was in charge of the Community Team for a number of years: http://www.rockband.com/blog/mike_dornbrook_desk

A lot of our initiatives, including the newsletter, support and general approach to community interaction, was influenced by Mike and the way he drove things on Zork. There's your Zork to RB connection for the day!

That is a completely awesome bit of trivia! Proof that all good things come from a small mailbox...
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I like that this list is arranged by decade instead of trying to assign a rank to every game (of course, they let user response to a game's inclusion kind of rank it). Nice that RB made it.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4927503 said:
    It doesn't seem like it's really ranked.

I think you are right. A list of 100 liked games. If you did that with songs it would be called the ultimate setlist.

I would have included Elite on my ultimate game list.
  • edited November 2012
    Nice.

List needs more Baldur's Gate, Monkey Island, X-Com, X-Wing and arguably FFVI instead of FFVII, though.
  • ZoiloCruzZoiloCruz Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Never thought I'll see Rock Band in that list :) But yeah the first game in the franchise was loads of fun to play. Killer setlist, people interacting with each other, all while learning new music they have never be introduced or expected to see it in Rock Band. Rock Band would always be the king of rhythm games :D