Game of The Year 2012: Discussion Thread!

CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
edited February 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
Seeing as we are getting towards the end of the year, I thought know would be an appropriate time to post this. Most of the major titles are out already, anyway.

Adding the poll, the first thing that comes to mind: Wow, this was actually kind of a weak year for gaming.

My top 10:

1. The Walking Dead- This certainly turned out to be a hell of a lot better than I thought it would be. These games absolutely wrecked me emotionally. Upon the completion of the whole story, GAME OF THE YEAR.

2.Mass Effect 3- Another choice that is sure to be controversial. Mass Effect 3 had some flaws, to be sure, but it also had some very large improvements over its predecessors, namely in the gameplay department. Couple that with a story that is pretty awesome for the most part (Except for you know what), and ME3 is an extremely solid game, but those flaws keep it from being the sure GOTY I thought it would be before it came out.

3. Far Cry 3- This game is the best example of how much ridiculous fun the open-world genre can be that I have played in years. I'm about 17 hours in, and I may have played 4 story missions. I'm far more content capturing outposts and hunting game than I am doing anything else. It also featured the funniest thing that I saw in a game this year: While capturing an outpost, i shot a cage containing a Tiger, which then opened, and then the tiger proceeded to kill all of the enemies for me. I was too busy laughing my ass off to notice that he had then decided to turn on me, killing me almost instantly. But yeah, like I said, ridiculous fun.

4. Sleeping Dogs- This game was just so much fun. It's really as simple as that. It may be extremely derivative, but this game was an absolute blast to play. The Graphics and fighting engine weren't half bad, either.

5. Halo 4-The story in the campaign was great and emotionally resonant, the graphics are probably the best on the 360, and the multiplayer is the best it's ever been. A game I will be playing until the next Xbox comes out.

6. Forza Horizon- Simply put, the best racing game I've ever played. Absolutely beautiful to watch in motion, as well. I just really have a hard time putting racing games high on these kinds of lists, or else this would be an absolute GOTY contender for me.

7. Assassin's Creed III- So many parts of this game disappoint me, to be honest. But when this game works, it is an absolute joy. Taking part in the Boston Tea Party and climbing through the trees tracking a bear are surely going to be some of my favorite game memories of 2012.

8. Dishonored- Maybe the most unique game I played this year. This game had a very cool style to it, and the powers you get and freedom of choice you get are just outstanding. The Fact that it is overall pretty rough around the edges keeps it from placing higher. That and the thoroughly mediocre story.

9.NBA 2K13- The premier sports video game franchise got even better, somehow. These games are a fixture on my year end lists, for good reason. They are freaking outstanding.

10. Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition- Maybe not the best version of Minecraft, but this introduced me to the idea of it, and I put hundreds of hours into it. That's good enough for me.

Runners Up- Fez, Darksiders II, Rock Band Blitz, WoW: Mists of Pandaria, Max Payne 3, Borderlands II, Deadlight.

Comments

• Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2012
    TheStuddz;4927870 said:
    Rock Band Blitz. I don't think I've ever played another game more.

I've played Rock Band more. :p
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 2012
    Lawdog1521;4927871 said:
    I've played Rock Band more. :p

I might've, but it's close!
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited November 2012
    In order, Torchlight II, The Walking Dead, SSX, Rock Band Blitz

I have yet to play Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Forza: Horizon, NFS, and XCOM
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    People will probably disagree with me, but I'll go with FFXIII-2, for various reasons.
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited November 2012
    Sleeping Dogs. Great gameplay, immersive atmosphere through a vivid recreation of Hong Kong and one of the best lead protagonists in a long time. Runner-up is Rock Band Blitz, and the rest is trailing by a good margin. This is the first year in ages where it was probably better for movies than games.

I'll probably go into a bit more detail about the games I bought this year later.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Let me be the first (and probably only) person to say that D3 doesn't belong anywhere near this last, no matter how hyped it was. Such a complete disappointment...

My game of the year would be Forza: Horizon, for reasons Cube already mentioned in his OP and the fact that I haven't really played many other new games this year. Blitz and Fez would be next just by default, and now I'm waiting for Black Friday deals to snag 2k13.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Skyrim got much more play time from me than any game released this year. And it barely released in 2011 anyway, so that's my game of 2012.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Pokemon Black & White 2 or Guild Wars 2. Those are the only two games I've been interested in this year.
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited November 2012
    I believe a game that should at least qualify for the game of the year is Final Fantasy 13-2 bruther. This is the only game that had stunning graphics and an amazing storyline dude.

It came out early early in the year bruther and I think most people just look over it bruther. The ending was amazing and it kept you wanting more bruther. I can't wait for Lightining Returns to come out next year bruther.

So my pick bruther is Final Fantasy 13-2

my dlc pick of the year bruther

Rock Band Blitz dude.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Hogan2000;4928155 said:
    This is the only game that had stunning graphics and an amazing storyline dude.

lolwut.
    edited November 2012
    The storyline for FFXIII-2 was nothing short of nonsensical (as is the case with most plots that involve constant time travel
    edited November 2012
    I chose FFXIII-2 for the gameplay, not for the storyline at all. The storylive could've been improved alot, alot, and ALOT. That ''special'' ending was totally useless.

BUT, the gameplay was totally fantastic, as FFXIII. What I like about the FFXIII serie so far, is that even if you're maxed, it doesn't do the trick to beat the game, and especially the optionnal things. Strategy has a big part in that serie compared to all the other FFs. I have yet to see an RPG that will make me swear like this game.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    At first I was like "why is there no Skyrim on this poll?". Then I realized it came out last year. But, yeah, all the games I liked this year came out last year. To be fair, though, I haven't picked up Borderlands 2 yet, and if it's even close to as good as the original it'll easily get my vote.
    edited November 2012
    Pitch-Black;4928502 said:
    At first I was like "why is there no Skyrim on this poll?". Then I realized it came out last year. But, yeah, all the games I liked this year came out last year. To be fair, though, I haven't picked up Borderlands 2 yet, and if it's even close to as good as the original it'll easily get my vote.

I didn't played it yet (sadly), but I heard very good things about it. I hoped for implentation of a crafting, or modding weapon feature, but I was dreaming, they didn't. (I based my hopes on how the weapons are randomly built in the engine).
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited November 2012
    Without saying much until a full review, BlOps 2 is not in contention for the title.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    Based on people outside of this thread Id say Blops2 is more of a contender than FF.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited November 2012
    I have to go with Halo 4. Halo 4 had one of the best Halo Campaigns, and it would've been the best if it was 2 or more hours longer, because I completed it in only 5:58 on normal difficulty.

The competitive multiplayer is the best of the 4 Halos I've played competitive multiplayer on. Which include Halo 4, Reach, 3, and Wars. The competitive multiplayer is very balanced in Halo 4 despite loadouts and weapon/armor abilities/support upgrades etc. unlocks. Some game modes play even better than in previous Halos, where you can now throw the oddball in Oddball. As well as in CTF you can wield a pistol while carrying the flag. Also, in Dominion your base upgrades after time, sometimes it gets shields on its entrances except for one, where the enemy team can't pass through. As well as it gets defense turrets after time. Another thing that I like a lot is there is at least one excellent map for each gametype.

Spartan Ops is more fun for me than Firefight ever was, because you're moving throughout levels and not staying in mostly one spot. As well as the bit of story that goes with it, and being able to use loadouts for fighting against NPCs makes it much more enjoyable. The new weapons are also positive additions to Halo, as well as the new enemies that use those weapons.

This is actually my favourite Halo game, and I've played all of them, though I haven't played every part of each game. I only played the campaign on the first two, so I can't compare the multiplayer to Halo 2's. But still Halo 4 is such an improvement over Reach and even Halo 3. The forge in Halo 4 is much easier to use than in past Halo's. Though one complaint on Halo 4's forge is the 3 maps intended as being the largest maps to forge on aren't very large, and some don't have many different structures to forge with from what I've seen so far. Specializations are also a nice inclusion. I'm at SR-38, so I've still got to get to level 50 before I can choose a specialization, but I can't wait to finally complete one and get the modification you unlock for completing a specialization.

So anyways in short. It has the best story out of any Halo game, and the campaign would've been the best Halo campaign if it was just a bit longer. The new enemies, weapons, game modes, loadouts/customization are all welcome additions and even with them the game is still balanced. It feels like Halo still. Spartan Ops is even better than Firefight. The multiplayer is the best it's ever been, and specializations really add to the replayability of multiplayer. Forge is much easier to make good maps with, with the inclusion of magnets and other good things like trait zones. It's just an all around good game and the best FPS, and maybe even video game I've ever played.
  • Wave57Wave57 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Borderlands 2, The Walking Dead, RBB. Oh, and KH3D too.
    edited November 2012
    Replaying Sleeping Dogs, I kinda wish I had ranked it higher, lol.
    edited November 2012
    Considering FFXIII-2 was literally nothing more than the story that was cut from the first XIII and was more of an expansion and rehash than an actual sequel, I can't figure out why anybody would consider it the best game of 2012

More accurately it was a time waster to connect the plots of 1 and 3 together, and I've never seen filler win an award before

more on topic, now that I've had a chance to play Sticker Star, I'd like to make that my definitive GOTY
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    So far:

1. Fez
    2. Walking Dead
    3. Max Payne 3
    Hotline Miami
    DayZ
    Trials Evolution
    NFS Most Wanted

I'm exactly halfway through Hitman Absolution, it was my most anticipated game this generation and it turned out to be 98% the game I wanted it to be so it'll probably take spot of number one or two.

Haven't finished: Dishonored

Still haven't played: Forza Horizon, XCom, Unfinished Swan
    edited November 2012
    Hotline Miami is definitely on my list of games I need to play.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    A new challenger appears!
  • edited November 2012
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Nothing has really blown me away this year, but I've most enjoyed Borderlands 2, Xcom, and Planetside 2.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    afterstasis;4931294 said:
    and Planetside 2.

So is that game any good? I played the first one when it came out eons ago and it got boring realllllly quickly. Fun concept, but just no sustainable gameplay.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2012
    This might just be me, but...2012 was not terribly kind to the RPG. All of the noteworthy RPGs (ME2, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, FF, etc.) were sequels, to boot.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    HeyRiles;4930545 said:
    Considering FFXIII-2 was literally nothing more than the story that was cut from the first XIII and was more of an expansion and rehash than an actual sequel, I can't figure out why anybody would consider it the best game of 2012
    They shouldn't. I love the FF series. It's one of my favourites, but they missed the mark with 13 and the sequel. I still enjoyed them, but they've been on a downward slope since 10.

The walking dead gets my vote. Easily my favourite of the year, and the only game to make me well up that much. :'(
  • BulzeebBulzeeb Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Borderlands 2 for Retail GOTY

Journey for Downloadable GOTY