Transfer purchases from xbox to ps3

bigtimesbigtimes Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band Blitz
I picked up Rock Band Blitz for the PS3, since my 360 died months ago, but all of my previous Rock Band song DLC was purchased for Xbox 360. Is there any way i could re-download all of my purchased songs to the PS3?

Comments

• www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    No. You have to rebuy all of the songs.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I already did. For the second time! I hope HMX is working on ways to pass content to the new consoles.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    88sBand;4928211 said:
    I already did. For the second time! I hope HMX is working on ways to pass content to the new consoles.

That may not be entirely up to Harmonix. Microsoft or Sony might actually decide to extend the life of their respective consoles by not having backwards compatibility with their new systems which means you could only play those games on the original console.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    bigtimes;4928108 said:
    I picked up Rock Band Blitz for the PS3, since my 360 died months ago, but all of my previous Rock Band song DLC was purchased for Xbox 360. Is there any way i could re-download all of my purchased songs to the PS3?

You bought that content from Microsoft, not Sony. Harmonix supplies content to both consoles' online stores, but once it reaches the store, the transaction is between you and either Microsoft or Sony. So you can't get free stuff from Sony because you bought it from Microsoft, no. Hopefully that makes sense.
    edited November 2012
    88sBand;4928211 said:

Never going to happen.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    It would be stupid to not transfer, or use on both generation of consoles all of the DLC available, I can understand on the wii, because of the file system, which is totally ******ed, but the PS3 and the X360 are very able to do that, and alot of custommers spended alot of money on those consoles, so that would be a smart move. Ignoring that would be a very stupid move.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Does any game company out there have more of a vested interest in DLC migration than Harmonix?

I mean from one console to the next generation console from the same company, obviously.
    edited November 2012
    Numskull;4928320 said:
    Does any game company out there have more of a vested interest in DLC migration than Harmonix?

I mean from one console to the next generation console from the same company, obviously.

Well, people bought games on PSN/XBL. If the next generation supports the disc-based games, they can support the DLC ones, hell they could even support the same account, with the same stuff.
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928301 said:
    It would be stupid to not transfer, or use on both generation of consoles all of the DLC available, I can understand on the wii, because of the file system, which is totally ******ed, but the PS3 and the X360 are very able to do that, and alot of custommers spended alot of money on those consoles, so that would be a smart move. Ignoring that would be a very stupid move.

This isnt about moving DLC from the 360 to the 365 or the PS3 to the PS4 its about moving the PS3 to the 360 and the 360 to the PS3.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928412 said:
    Well, people bought games on PSN/XBL. If the next generation supports the disc-based games, they can support the DLC ones, hell they could even support the same account, with the same stuff.

Of course they can, and of course they could. But will they? That question can't be answered soon enough for my liking.
    edited November 2012
    Numskull;4928467 said:
    Of course they can, and of course they could. But will they? That question can't be answered soon enough for my liking.

I really hope they will. Looks like Nintendo is going to do this, and so far the backward compatibility works (Sadly, not on newer PS3 models for PS2, unless you buy the PS2 games from the store), And frankly, just ignoring this will make me stop buying consoles. I've spent in the 4 numbers on PSN, I want that stuff playable on future console. I'm pretty sure 100% of the customers wants that too.
    edited November 2012
    Why should they give a crap what their customers want, when, even off the chance they really do follow through on threats to stop buying, there's a new generation of marks (I mean....customers) coming up right behind them?
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4928557 said:
    Why should they give a crap what their customers want, when, even off the chance they really do follow through on threats to stop buying, there's a new generation of marks (I mean....customers) coming up right behind them?

Isn't it more profitable to try and keep customers than building a new wave of them?
    edited November 2012
    I couldn't say with any certainty. But video games are and always have been a pastime chiefly associated with kids, and the number of people who would say "**** you M$! I'm not buying in if I can't transfer my DLC!!" and then actually follow through is bound to be microscopic.
    edited November 2012
    Most if not all content will transfer over to the next gen. Even if they werent planning on it before they will make sure it happens now since the Wii U was able to transfer over. The only problem would be with the PS4 which is rumored to have a different chipset as the PS3 which might cause compatibility issues with that stuff. But again this thread isnt about the next gen its about transferring from 360 to PS3 and vice versa.
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4928568 said:
    But video games are and always have been a pastime chiefly associated with kids

Might be true with Nintendo, but it isn't for PC, PS and Xbox. Most of the gamers began when they were kids (my generation) in the 80s 90s, and they are now adults. Sure there is alot of kids, but I don't think the kids are the majority of the gamers at all.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    If DLC doesn't transfer over to the PS4, I won't be buying one. Not in an attempt to spite or punish Sony: I have no expectation that they would ever change their mind after making such a decision in the first place. Rather, I expect that I will be perfectly happy to keep playing with my PS3 over the next 3-5 years. Heck, until about 2 years ago I was still using my PS2 fairly regularly.

There are a stunning number of titles that I haven't even started on, enough to keep me entertained for at least a few years ... plus, of course, the never-gets-old standby of the whole Rock Band franchise.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2012
    While I can guarantee that most game DLC will transfer over, the problem is going to be that we're dealing with the music industry here.

IF the songs were licensed for ROCK BAND and not just Rock Band on the 360/PS3 Wii, then we MIGHT be fine (but the fact that songs stopped working from RB2 to RB3 (both some on disc and DLC songs), isn't filling me with the greatest confidence.

I mean if the labels say he we licensed these for Rock Band on these specific consoles, if you want them on the PS4, neXtBox, Wii-U, then license them again, then I'd have to say there's no way they will transfer over and Rock Band will stay on the current consoles.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4929104 said:
    If DLC doesn't transfer over to the PS4, I won't be buying one. Not in an attempt to spite or punish Sony: I have no expectation that they would ever change their mind after making such a decision in the first place. Rather, I expect that I will be perfectly happy to keep playing with my PS3 over the next 3-5 years. Heck, until about 2 years ago I was still using my PS2 fairly regularly.

There are a stunning number of titles that I haven't even started on, enough to keep me entertained for at least a few years ... plus, of course, the never-gets-old standby of the whole Rock Band franchise.
    Exactly the same here. If there isn't going to be backward compatibility, there's pretty much no way I can justify getting the new consoles anytime soon. I only have so much room for consoles to be hooked up, and it's way too much of a pain to switch them out with my setup. So unless the PS4 is backward compatible (which it won't be), then I'm going to have to keep the PS3 around for the foreseeable future, if for no other reason than to maintain my investment in Rock Band.

I will be keeping up with the newer games, but I'll be doing so on a fully upgradable backward compatible platform: the PC. The console exclusives are dwindling to the point where I don't think I'll be missing much by sitting out the next gen, at least for a good long while. And it would also give me a chance to do some sorely needed catching up on my monstrous backlog.
    edited November 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4929108 said:
    While I can guarantee that most game DLC will transfer over, the problem is going to be that we're dealing with the music industry here.

IF the songs were licensed for ROCK BAND and not just Rock Band on the 360/PS3 Wii, then we MIGHT be fine (but the fact that songs stopped working from RB2 to RB3 (both some on disc and DLC songs), isn't filling me with the greatest confidence.

I mean if the labels say he we licensed these for Rock Band on these specific consoles, if you want them on the PS4, neXtBox, Wii-U, then license them again, then I'd have to say there's no way they will transfer over and Rock Band will stay on the current consoles.

Well as far as I know the licensing was the same on every consoles, the difference was a different game, and not a different console. It might be true that the licensing is locked to the console AND the game, but it might just be locked on the game. Would be nice to have some confirmation on this, so we'd know what to expect.
  • Epsilon82Epsilon82 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929147 said:
    Well as far as I know the licensing was the same on every consoles, the difference was a different game, and not a different console. It might be true that the licensing is locked to the console AND the game, but it might just be locked on the game. Would be nice to have some confirmation on this, so we'd know what to expect.
    That might be putting the cart before the horse a bit, though, because they haven't even announced that there will be another proper Rock Band release. And if there are licensing issues with transferring across consoles, then I suspect they never will. There's just no way it would be economically feasible given the current state of the genre unless issues are virtually nonexistent.
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4929108 said:

The fact that they were able to get Blitz out the door and not face an incredible amount of lawsuits would seem to indicate that there might be some "flexibility" in how they define "Rock Band" in these contracts.

But yeah, these console makers are never going to support cross-compatibility. If GH and RB can't even figure out a way to share the pie of a niche market on the software/custom peripherals side, then the console hardware makers won't.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    88sBand;4928211 said:
    New consoles means the next 360/PS3/Wii (and it is happening on the Wii-U, with issues currently on Nintendo's end).

Cross console migration will never happen. Why should Sony honor Microsoft's DLC? Next you'll be asking for your 360 games to work on the PS3.
  • wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    that's like buying an arcade game on xbox and then demanding Sony give you the same game on the PSN. why are people so full of an over-sense of entitlement now a days?