No part on pro guitar?

TheSkittleristTheSkittlerist Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
So a few songs I have that I know for sure have pro guitar on them (Such as American Idiot, which I checked before I bought it) is saying "No Part", and I can't play it on the pro guitar, any reason why?

Comments

• TheSkittleristTheSkittlerist Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I'm pretty new to pro guitar, so h'wut.
    Will I need to re-buy the songs with the pro chart for these songs?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    When you go back into the music store and look for American Idiot, it will say 'Upgrade Available' (if you buy the song first).

You do not have to re-buy the song. The Pro upgrade is a separate file that is downloaded and added in by RB3.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    The Pro Guitar/Pro Bass charts are, with sparing exceptions, added for a $1/80MSP add-on after you buy the core song. Though they're not listed on this website, "American Idiot" and "When I Come Around" do indeed have upgrades (I've bought both). You can upgrade whether you have disc-export versions or versions bought directly from the store as DLC, it doesn't matter. Upgrades are only available through the in-game store. You find the song in the store, and if you have it but haven't upgraded it, it will say "UPGRADE AVAILABLE." Songs that don't have upgrades, or songs that you already have upgraded, will say "IN LIBRARY." If you've exported GD:RB, you'll see a ton of "IN LIBRARY"s around the two "UPGRADE AVAILABLE"s for WICA and AI.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2012
    The basic charts a $1.99. (Whatever that is in points, I don't know.) It's an extra buck for the pro-charts since they take more work.

Go to the RB in game store. There should be a sort for just pro-guitar/bass. In there they list the songs. If you own a song but not the pro-chart it'll say "upgrade" next to it. You can buy the upgrade and install it from there.

Also, you'll need the Mustang or the Fender guitar to play pro, it can't be played with a regular RB or GH controller.

Ninja'd!
    edited November 2012
    Those sparing exceptions, by the way, are the Rush 2112 pack and the Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack. If you buy the 2112 pack (if on Xbox or PS3) you will get all three sections of the song plus the song in its 20-minute entirety, and all four files will automatically have Pro Guitar and Pro Bass charts with them.

If you buy the Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack, you will get two songs that you cannot buy as singles -- "Mama, I'm Coming Home" and "Bark at the Moon." These two songs will also come pre-loaded with Pro Guitar and Pro Bass, for no additional charge. (A third song in this pack, "Mr. Crowley," also has Pro Guitar/Pro Bass available, but you will need to pay the $1/80MSP add-on to get it)
    edited November 2012
    lawdog1521;4928221 said:
    the basic charts a $1.99. (whatever that is in points, i don't know.)

160msp. 80msp=$1
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    It's worth mentionning that everyone needs to buy the pro guitar/bass upgrade in order to play them in a full band.
    SheSaidSheSaid;4928222 said:
    Those sparing exceptions, by the way, are the Rush 2112 pack and the Ozzy Osbourne 8-Pack. If you buy the 2112 pack (if on Xbox or PS3) you will get all three sections of the song plus the song in its 20-minute entirety, and all four files will automatically have Pro Guitar and Pro Bass charts with them.

If you got the 3 free The Doors songs on the week of the launch, they also gave the upgrades with them. I believe there are 2 or 3 RBN songs with the upgrades, but it was a deal with I don't remember what, they came with the upgrades too, but they aren't available in the store.
  • KEWBKEWB Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928299 said:
    It's worth mentionning that everyone needs to buy the pro guitar/bass upgrade in order to play them in a full band.

If you got the 3 free The Doors songs on the week of the launch, they also gave the upgrades with them. I believe there are 2 or 3 RBN songs with the upgrades, but it was a deal with I don't remember what, they came with the upgrades too, but they aren't available in the store.

That would be the Schick promotion. They were included via a code in packs of Schick razors several months back (I believe for 360 only). They're technically different song files from the RBN versions though, at least as far as the programming in the game goes.
  • RockmanXX5RockmanXX5 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Santa Claustrophobia;4928218 said:
    When you go back into the music store and look for American Idiot, it will say 'Upgrade Available' (if you buy the song first).

You do not have to re-buy the song. The Pro upgrade is a separate file that is downloaded and added in by RB3.
    My suspicion is that the upgrade is already downloaded and installed, it's just not unlocked until you pay for it.
    edited November 2012
    Nope. Older DLC has gotten upgrades, including two launch-day songs. So unless you think "My Sharona" and "...And Justice For All" had pro guitar charts sitting in their files for 3+ years (before pro guitar was even a thing), that's not how it works. Similar situation for the two Green Day songs, they were upgraded after 2 years.

And, well...people would find "ways" around having to pay, too, if that were the case.
  • ricecakericecake Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    KEWB;4928303 said:
    That would be the Schick promotion. They were included via a code in packs of Schick razors several months back (I believe for 360 only).
    They were also available on PS3 (I have them).
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928299 said:

If anyone wants to play PG/PB, yes. Not to play the song at all, as some would have you believe.
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4928573 said:
    If anyone wants to play PG/PB, yes. Not to play the song at all, as some would have you believe.

And I heard on xbox, if someone has pro upgrades in the band, and someone don't, you won't be able to play them. It's fine on PS3 though. (Can't confirm what I say on xbox, I don't play on xbox, I just read this some time ago on the forums)
    edited November 2012
    RockmanXX5;4928453 said:
    My suspicion is that the upgrade is already downloaded and installed, it's just not unlocked until you pay for it.

How's it feel to be wrong?
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    The animations show people playing the bass and guitar with the proper chords, suggesting that the data IS already coded in the song. The upgrade files are all the exact same size, and really small, right? Just like so many other files that act as a swtich, allowing you to turn your demo version into the fully-featured game instantly, on so many other titles?

So maybe he wasn't wrong.
    edited November 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4929103 said:
    The animations show people playing the bass and guitar with the proper chords, suggesting that the data IS already coded in the song.
    No, they don't. C'mon, think about it - RBN songs have animations, too. Are pro guitar charts hiding in every RBN song, too? And how exactly did you arrive at the animations "show[ing] people playing the bass and guitar with the proper chords" anyway?
    The upgrade files are all the exact same size, and really small, right? Just like so many other files that act as a swtich, allowing you to turn your demo version into the fully-featured game instantly, on so many other titles?
    The download is small because the core song already has just about all of what's needed -- that being the guitar and bass stems to match note gems to and cut out if you miss.
    So maybe he wasn't wrong.

No. He was very wrong.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    The animations show people playing the bass and guitar with the proper chords, suggesting that the data IS already coded in the song.
    Charts aren't based on the animations. I thought this argument was already debunked when everyone and their mom started claiming that pro drums charts were linked to the animations and Harmonix said that this isn't the case (which explains the pro drums-less early RBN).

And if this was the case, just about every pro guitar chart would be incredibly incorrect, because the hand animations of the guitarist and bassist aren't correct.
    edited November 2012
    I don't believe that the pro guitar/bass charts were already there, however, kinda strange that they ALL do 100kb.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929135 said:
    I don't believe that the pro guitar/bass charts were already there, however, kinda strange that they ALL do 100kb.

i've seen a couple that were more than 100K. i think rime of the ancient mariner was slightly bigger (maybe 120K or 140K? i don't remember exactly). but i have seen slightly larger files for longer or more complex songs.
    edited November 2012
    tnevaker;4929158 said:
    i've seen a couple that were more than 100K. i think rime of the ancient mariner was slightly bigger (maybe 120K or 140K? i don't remember exactly). but i have seen slightly larger files for longer or more complex songs.

Really? guess I didn't paid attention on those, all those I paid attention to was exactly 100kb.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    CloudWolf;4929133 said:
    Charts aren't based on the animations. I thought this argument was already debunked when everyone and their mom started claiming that pro drums charts were linked to the animations and Harmonix said that this isn't the case (which explains the pro drums-less early RBN).

And if this was the case, just about every pro guitar chart would be incredibly incorrect, because the hand animations of the guitarist and bassist aren't correct.

I remember seeing an animation once featuring a close-up of the guitarist, and her hand was in the exact same position as mine while I was playing Pro Guitar! Is this something they only do every once in a great while, on those rare occasions that the fret board positioning can be seen clearly? OK, I'll buy that.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929159 said:
    Really? guess I didn't paid attention on those, all those I paid attention to was exactly 100kb.

100 kb is the minimum file size for a download on Xbox. That's why a ton of other unlockable codes for games and stuff say 100kb.
    edited November 2012
    Witticus;4929274 said:
    100 kb is the minimum file size for a download on Xbox. That's why a ton of other unlockable codes for games and stuff say 100kb.

Looks like it is on PS3 too, all the unlocks are 100kb.
    edited November 2012
    Meat-Popsicle;4929223 said:
    I remember seeing an animation once featuring a close-up of the guitarist, and her hand was in the exact same position as mine while I was playing Pro Guitar! Is this something they only do every once in a great while, on those rare occasions that the fret board positioning can be seen clearly? OK, I'll buy that.

the animations aren't nearly detailed enough to carry all that information. can you see the exact frets being played on the guitar? do the hand shapes conform to the chords, even for non-standard chord forms? i'm sure the animation catalogue contains a decent library of hand animations and the ability to show the avatar playing at various positions that can make it look reasonably close, but the animation engine would have to be far more complex than it is to accurately convey all the intricacies of the actual guitar charts.
    edited November 2012
    tnevaker;4929284 said:
    the animations aren't nearly detailed enough to carry all that information. can you see the exact frets being played on the guitar? do the hand shapes conform to the chords, even for non-standard chord forms? i'm sure the animation catalogue contains a decent library of hand animations and the ability to show the avatar playing at various positions that can make it look reasonably close, but the animation engine would have to be far more complex than it is to accurately convey all the intricacies of the actual guitar charts.

That, and sorry, but all the fast shredding solos doesn't look good on the animations. Same for keyboard.
    edited November 2012
    it's kind of funny watching the avatar shred away with his pick during the tapping section of crazy train.
    edited November 2012
    Let's face it, if the Pro data was already in the song, then it would make those threads complaining about RB3 Versions look like a Pre-School picnic.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Witticus;4929274 said:
    I don't think so; my pro upgrade files (on an Xbox) are all different sizes, including sub 100 kb ones (none less than 90 kb so far). I've seen a few that were 100 kb, but no significant percentage of the 120-some-odd ones that I have.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    mikeyts;4930211 said:
    ...(none less than 90 kb so far).
    Since then I've found some smaller. I wrote down some sizes in the order in which they appeared in the RB3 folder until I got tired of it (the first 35): 84, 152, 136, 100, 124, 100, 104, 88, 96, 116, 148, 124, 144, 146, 108, 108, 108, 132, 104, 92, 108, 104, 92, 112, 108, 92, 136, 96, 104, 116, 72, 80, 108, 92 and 140. The 152 was "867-5309/Jenny" and the 72 was "For What It's Worth". There are definitely some numbers that are common (108, 104 and 92) but it's pretty varied overall.