When do you start to listen to Christmas music, if you do at all.

DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
edited November 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
Anybody here listen to Christmas music before December. I would always listen to music right after Halloween when I was younger, but our "#1 radio station in Kansas City" got replaced by someone else who starts at either Thanksgiving or December 1st. Now it's around Thanksgiving or some time before I start listening to them. Sometimes I'd forget that there even IS Christmas music. Mostly because Christmas is getting the least Christmasy every year. :(

Comments

• Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited November 2012
    Every year bruther at Christmas time I pull out my balls dude. I string up real nice and I drag them down the hall bruther. They look so fine hanging there dude on my christmas tree dude. Mom and Dad, sister too were all so glad bruther to see my, Christmas balls bruther Christmas ball bruther, I've got great big Christmas balls dude.
  • nascargo19nascargo19 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Usually right after Thanksgiving.
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    If I was Supreme Dictator for Life, I would decree that no Christmas music be played until December 1st. But since I am not Supreme Dictator for Life, I am okay with it after Thanksgiving.

Anecdote: One of my coworkers said they once had a manager who went way overboard with the Christmas music. She turned it on before Halloween and didn't turn it off until February. They once had a contest to see how many variations of any song they could hear in a single day. The record holder is "Little Drummer Boy," with fifteen(!) variations played over the course of a single day. Thankfully she is no longer there and the store has yet to start playing Christmas tunes.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    I understand why retailers have to start decorating for Christmas a bit earlier than Black Friday but anything else is unacceptable.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 2012
    I've been hearing Christmas music all over the city this past weekend.

I personally won't start for at least another week or two though.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I don't really like any canned Christmas music, at least the stuff they pipe through malls etc. I can deal with it a week or so before Christmas, though.

I *do* like singing Christmas music, if it has a bass part.
    edited November 2012
    I was seeing Christmas candy in stores BEFORE HALLOWEEN, a holiday based around candy!
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    I listen whenever it goes on the radio. In other words, I only listen to Christmas music if I come across it in public areas.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I preordered the August Burns Red Christmas album, but didn't have the means to listen to it until Halloween, so, Halloween is when I started.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    After Syphilis, before Chlamydia, during Hepatitis.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2012
    afterstasis;4928430 said:
    After Syphilis, before Chlamydia, during Hepatitis.

So... pretty much year round?
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    around the time after Turkey Day. Like to put on Johnny Mathis
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4928327 said:
    I understand why retailers have to start decorating for Christmas a bit earlier than Black Friday but anything else is unacceptable.

Christmas apparently begins before Halloween where I work. Our Christmas decorations started going up in mid-October (albeit behind a curtain, which was removed a week or two ago). Same for the music. It starts off as one Christmas song every once in a great while, now it's the Taylor Swift/Jason Mraz/John Mayer pop that only gets played once in a while.

I never intentionally listen to Christmas music.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I loathe "the holiday season" more and more with each passing year. I only hear Christmas music when it's being played in public, and I don't like any of it. In fact, it kind of makes me want to start fires. (No chestnuts. Just fires.) "Feliz Navidad" is the worst, although I somehow managed to avoid hearing it even once last year. I probably won't be so lucky this time.
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4928519 said:
    Christmas apparently begins before Halloween where I work.

Yup. That's not such a rare thing nowadays. It used to be enough that a sixth of the year was considered "the season" for this one freaking day, but even that is no longer sufficient for some people.
  • azzaman333azzaman333 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Never. It's awful, awful stuff.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Never. I try to avoid it as best I can. There's only so many times one person can handle listening to every possible rendition of "White Christmas" or "Silent Night" before you just want to go bat **** crazy.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    And if it's your cup of tea, August Burns Red came out with an instrumental, metalcore rendition of some holiday favorites. Thank god it's instrumental, but just imagining the vocalist being in those songs is hilarious.

"FROSTY THE duhduhduh SNOWMANNNNN!!!!!!" *blast beat* "WAS A JOLLY HAPPY SOULLLLLL!!!!!!!" duhduhduhduh duhduhduhduh
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    Runesmith;4928897 said:
    To the people who hate Christmas music: Christmas music that doesn't completely suck.

most people are referring to christmas music on the radio ;)

as for me, i try to avoid it as long as possible
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Runesmith;4928897 said:

The King Diamond song is the only one of those I can listen to more than once. And that Within Temptation song was surprisingly dreadful. Also, no Type O Negative?
    Mega-Tallica;4928900 said:
    And if it's your cup of tea, August Burns Red came out with an instrumental, metalcore rendition of some holiday favorites. Thank god it's instrumental, but just imagining the vocalist being in those songs is hilarious.

"FROSTY THE duhduhduh SNOWMANNNNN!!!!!!" *blast beat* "WAS A JOLLY HAPPY SOULLLLLL!!!!!!!" duhduhduhduh duhduhduhduh
    Yikes.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4928900 said:

When I listened to the album, I was actually expecting vocals to appear in the songs. And yes, that would be freakin' hilarious.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4928901 said:
    most people are referring to christmas music on the radio ;)

as for me, i try to avoid it as long as possible
    Brian Setzer's Christmas stuff gets a lot of radio play around here, and some of the tunes on that New Wave comp get played during December on XM's New Wave station, but yeah can't say King Diamond's a yuletide bedfellow of Michael Buble and Perry Como. :D
    darkwinterbeast8;4929005 said:
    The King Diamond song is the only one of those I can listen to more than once. And that Within Temptation song was surprisingly dreadful. Also, no Type O Negative?

Aww. Rockabilly covers are the best. And you say dreadful like it's a bad thing; Within Temptation's always been heavy on the cheese. :D

I totally forgot about that Type O tune. Weird, because it's from my favorite Type O album.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Not a big fan of true Christmas music but there's plenty of great Christmas no1s of which my favourite is "Killing in the Name" by RATM.
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Does listening to The Vandals - "Oi to the World!" album count?

I don't intentionally listen to traditional Christmas music, and I try to ignore it whenever I'm shopping in stores. Give it another 50 years and they'll start playing it on Valentine's Day.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2012
    I am forced to the day after Halloween.
    edited November 2012
    Ehfahq;4929193 said:
    I am forced to the day after Halloween.

Break all relations with who or what ever forces you into that personal hell
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4929195 said:
    Break all relations with who or what ever forces you into that personal hell

You mean radio, tv, the mall, and everywhere else in America?

I wish.
    edited November 2012
    Ehfahq;4929198 said:
    You mean radio, tv, the mall, and everywhere else in America?

I wish.

I seem to do just fine. Also my mall isnt even decorated yet.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Numskull;4928888 said:
    I loathe "the holiday season" more and more with each passing year. I only hear Christmas music when it's being played in public, and I don't like any of it. In fact, it kind of makes me want to start fires. (No chestnuts. Just fires.) "Feliz Navidad" is the worst, although I somehow managed to avoid hearing it even once last year. I probably won't be so lucky this time.
    Numskull;4928889 said:
    Yup. That's not such a rare thing nowadays. It used to be enough that a sixth of the year was considered "the season" for this one freaking day, but even that is no longer sufficient for some people.

Wow, that's....remind me not to wish you a Merry Christmas.