Wii broke - Which console to buy :-(

WaldoPepperWaldoPepper Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
Hi all,

my Wii broke and now I have to buy a new console. I am going to play almost exclusively RockBand 3 (with a Madcatz Mustang) on it. Another Wii is nothing I would consider, so: XBox or PS3?

Thanx in advance for your opinions

Kai

Comments

• SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    If RB3 is your lone consideration, Xbox is objectively the correct answer -

*Full RBN access
    *No XMB boot
    *No server problems
    *Lots more online giveaway contests
    *Bigger playerbase
    *It just generally runs smoother (for instance, PS3 RB3 has to count every piece of DLC you own every time you start up the game, whereas Xbox only does it for "new" DLC)

The PS3 is the superior piece of hardware, but the Xbox is the better "RB3 machine"
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    PS3 if you want a reliable console, however, the XMB crash and the RCS connection problems is real.

You can get a xbox and avoid those problems, but you might run into serious hardware problems.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    I'd say go for Xbox if you're just playing RB3. As Shesaid stated there are a ton of great qualities to Xbox. Xbox if you get the newer slim model is way, way, way more reliable than when they first started out.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928526 said:
    PS3 if you want a reliable console
    eh wut?

if you're talking about the RROD, that pretty much only happened with the Xbox that were made in the first year ._.

I'm pretty sure i've seen more people get YLOD's on their ps3's than RROD's on xbox since then
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited November 2012
    For RB3, I agree that the xbox is the console of choice for the above reasons. Biggest downside to Xbox is having to pay for online play... Which is free on PS3. I hear there are lots of ways to get around paying, like contests or endless binging, etc. but unless you plan to "invest some time" in those endeavors, plan on paying for it. Also, the issues with RB on PS3 aren't universal, but do appear to be wider spread than you'd hope.
    edited November 2012
    and another extra + for the xbox, you can get RB3 from the xbox marketplace. so if you can't find a disc for it at least you can always get it that way!

And as bachi already said above me, xbox is paid for online play ($60 a year, not too bad, that's not even $0,05 a day ;) )

but there are also promotions for that once in a while on the xbox marketplace, with the occasional $1 for 1 month etc.
  • Odin ForceOdin Force Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4928530 said:
    eh wut?

if you're talking about the RROD, that pretty much only happened with the Xbox that were made in the first year ._.

I'm pretty sure i've seen more people get YLOD's on their ps3's than RROD's on xbox since then
    Statistically per unit, 360's RROD nearly 50% more often than PS3s YLOD. However, the data on xboxachievements and ps3trophies doesn't really sort out by models. I'd say the current runs are both reliable enough, though.

So, in the end, I'd say get a 360 for all of the reasons SheSaidSheSaid said.
    edited November 2012
    anywhoo, even if you do happen to get that 1 error for xbox, the warranty for that particular error is lengthened to up to 3(?) years.

(could also be 5, i forgot. definitely one of those 2 though)
  • DekieonDekieon Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    I have both an Xbox 360 and a PS3. The PS3 is by far the better console for a number of reasons.

1) I am on my 3rd XBOX 360 while i am still on my first PS3, so this proves to me that the xbox tends to die more often then the ps3.
    2) Everthing on the XBOX is proprietary, so you need to pay microsoft ridiculous amounts of money for stuff.
    3) You have to pay for online play on the XBOX while the PS3 is free.
    4) XBOX uses DVD's, PS3 uses BluRay

With all that said, if the only thing you ever plan on is playing RB3, then go with the xbox, only because of the RBN access. However if you play on using it for other things, then go with the PS3.

As a side note....when the new consoles come out...Because of my experience with the xbox 360, if my Rock Band library doesn't transfer over to the Xbox 720 for Rock Band 4, I will not be buying the 720, I will be purchasing a PS4 only.
    edited November 2012
    1) I'm on my 4th xbox, the 3 that broke were all the early version of the xbox, this one i'm currently on is already lasting me 4 years. like said before, that was a problem with early xboxes

2+3)ridiculous amounts of money?
    $60 a year for online play, early access to demo's and access to extra sales is ridiculous?
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4928574 said:
    2+3)ridiculous amounts of money?
    $60 a year for online play, early access to demo's and access to extra sales is ridiculous?

With Sony, you can play online for free, and if you want those access, you can get PS+. (Just getting the facts right)
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    But with 360 you get 100% of RBN and none of those bugs and crashes that the PS3 has. 360 is the right choice if you are looking for a Rock Band machine.
    edited November 2012
    People tend to say that only the older versions of the x360 had a good chance of getting the RROD, however, I still see more people having a dead xbox than a dead PS3. The RROD number is surely lower than before, but it is still a risk, I have seen alot, ALOT of xbox with RRoDs in the past, and I still see them. I have yet to see any YLOD. Maybe my luck is on Sony's side, but that's what I see, here.

Also, the RBN access is a good point, I can not deny that, but if you're going pro guitar/bass, RBN shouldn't even be considered, as only 3 songs has them, and it was only a promotion, they aren't available in the store. If you're going pro keys/drums and/or basic guitar/bass and vocals, the RBN is a really good point, as a lot of good stuff will probably never get released on PS3, and most of the x2 bass version too. I guess it all depends on what exactly you want. I see it like this:

XBOX

Pros:
    -Total RBN access
    -No crash
    -Connectivity to RCS seems good

Cons
    -Reliability isn't that high if you're talking about the hardware (despite what people says, I still think this console isn't because of what I saw around me)
    -You need to pay in order to play online
    -Not able to sort your library through ''Date Acquired''

PS3

Pros:
    -Reliability
    -Free online play
    -Ability to sort your library to ''Date Acquired''

Cons:
    -Not at total RBN access, only 5 songs per week are released
    -XMB crash happens totally randomly
    -RCS connectivity isn't at its best right now

That's 3 pros and 3 cons for each consoles. Your choice.
    edited November 2012
    The reliability on Xbox is perfectly fine. Dont buy used and especially not a used old xbox and youll be fine. I have TONS AND TONS AND TONS of hours on my slim and its fine. The time of RROD is gone and was even gone with the last iteration of the non slim xbox. You can keep saying its a problem all you want but its not.
    edited November 2012
    youre forgetting that even though xbox has a higher chance at hardware breaking (according to you, but no. not with newer models), that it has a 5-year warranty for that. so even if it does break, the worst thing is having to wait 2 weeks for a new one.

also, not able to sort library by date acquired should be "not able to sort full library"

you can still sort the last 25 songs you downloaded by that
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    I'd go with Xbox. Sure, the hardware itself is a little less reliable, but there's a five year warranty as long as you don't mod the thing. You have more songs to choose from in the store thanks to the Rock Band Network, more people play online on it, and there's no XMB boot. Sure, paying $60 a year for online multiplayer is a bummer, but it's once a year, and it's as much as a new game.
    edited November 2012
    I have yet to see a reliable xbox machine. I'll believe it when I see one. Since the release of the PS3 and the Xbox, I have seen countless of broken xbox, and ONE broken PS3, and it was the blu-ray drive that failed, he could still use everything, read CDs and DVDs, but no Blu-ray. The longest time I've an seen xbox run is 2 years. The longest time I've seen a PS3 running is from the launch to today. The newer models might be more reliable than the old ones, but I still see them fail. :\

Those who didn't experimented a problem with their xbox are as fortunate as people who experimented problems with their PS3 are unfortunate.

Those are facts taken from experience, not from any sources.
    edited November 2012
    I have yet to see a slim fail. The new xboxes are as likely to fail as a PS3 so that should not even be considered.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    For strictly Rock Band -----> 360

For everything else ------> PS3
    edited November 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4928595 said:
    For strictly Rock Band -----> 360

For everything else ------> Depends on a multitude of things
    ftfy
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    edited November 2012
    A few more pros for each:
    Xbox - there is a much larger online user base for RB, so finding people to play with should never be an issue (this only really matters if you play with randoms online, if you don't play online, or only play with friends then its moot). ...on the other hand (and this goes hand in hand with the larger base and judging just by what is often complained about here on the forums), the Xbox user base seems to have (warning, huge generalization headed your way) younger and possibly less mature players.

PS3 - ability to easily upgrade to a larger off the shelf hard drive. Which could come into play as you increase your DLC count (although if you only plan on buying RB/RBN DLC, I don't know how large a hard rife you'd need to store the 29xx song limit anyway).
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4928593 said:
    I have yet to see a slim fail. The new xboxes are as likely to fail as a PS3 so that should not even be considered.
    I have, not nearly as high as the old 360's, but they still fail eventually. They just last a little longer before they decide to fry.
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to add something that I can't confirm since I'm not a xbox player, but If you're planning on playing pro, keep in mind that if your band mates doesn't have the upgrades, you won't be able to play the songs that you have the upgrades and they don't, no matter which instrument, pro or not, you are using. (Someone on xbox should be able to confirm this though, I'm not 100% sure but I've seen complaints about this.)

This is fine on PS3 though, I can confirm that I can play those songs with people that don't have the upgrades.
    edited November 2012
    another 1 for xbox, no dongles for your instruments which can break/get lost
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 2012
    All PS3 models except the original 60GB version are terrible.
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4928615 said:
    another 1 for xbox, no dongles for your instruments which can break/get lost

True that, I so wish the instruments would be wired, changing, recharging batteries is annoying as hell.
    edited November 2012
    grumblevolcano;4928616 said:
    All PS3 models except the original 60GB version are terrible.

Please explain.
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4928596 said:
    ftfy

If we want to pull out the ol' pro and con argument here, in my opinion of course, the PS3's pros far outweigh Xbox's cons and vice versa. But, that's just me.

Reliability is the big issue with me. I've never had an Xbox NOT RRoD on me and I've gone through 5 of them before I decided to do away with them forever (both the original Xbox and the 360). I don't like buying something that's a ticking time bomb and that's exactly the way I feel about Xbox. Now, flipping the coin, I've only had 1 Playstation console break on me (my original PS2 stopped reading discs), and that's it. I have a slim PS2 that's going on 7 years old, a fat PS3 going on 5 years, and a PS3 slim going on 2, all running as strong as they were the day I bought them. I like worry-free hardware that's reliable, but again, that's just me.
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4928619 said:
    True that, I so wish the instruments would be wired, changing, recharging batteries is annoying as hell.

Wires are annoying as hell. Wireless > Wired when it comes to video game peripherals,
    edited November 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4928622 said:
    If we want to pull out the ol' pro and con argument here, in my opinion of course, the PS3's pros far outweigh Xbox's cons and vice versa. But, that's just me.

Reliability is the big issue with me. I've never had an Xbox NOT RRoD on me and I've gone through 5 of them before I decided to do away with them forever (both the original Xbox and the 360). I don't like buying something that's a ticking time bomb and that's exactly the way I feel about Xbox. Now, flipping the coin, I've only had 1 Playstation console break on me (my original PS2 stopped reading discs), and that's it. I have a slim PS2 that's going on 7 years old, a fat PS3 going on 5 years, and a PS3 slim going on 2, all running as strong as they were the day I bought them. I like worry-free hardware that's reliable, but again, that's just me.

Like mentioned a new xbox will not fail as much as you think they will. But other things to consider differ person to person.
This discussion has been closed.