I suck at RB, should I even try the Pro Guitar???

SixthbuttonSixthbutton Opening Act
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
I'm a major fan of music games, played every one since the beginning as much as anyone. The best I ever played was way back when GH2 was out and I was hitting most of the notes on expert. Never FC'd song, always make several mistakes.

For the past 4 or 5 years I haven't gotten any better, I'm actually worse now. I feel like I hit the wall after 6 months of playing and never got any better.

I'm getting bored of only having 5 buttons but I've tried a real guitar and it's pretty pathetic. I have very little dexterity, rythem, or natural ability. I would however love to be able to play the guitar someday and only see RB3 as a way for me to learn since I'm extremely impatient.

I'm just wondering if I should spend the money or invest my time with the pro guitar. Basically, can anyone play or does is take a certain amount of natual ability?

Thanks!

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Well, if you plan on getting the mustang, you won't hear yourself at all, you will learn finger positionning and chords through the game, but you will never how well you play them. If you plan on finding a squier (good luck btw), It is a full 22 fretted guitar, so you can plug it into an amp, or anything analogic if you have the Big jack -> mini jack adapter, and hear you, and hear your mistakes. If you get the mustang however, you can plug it into a computer via MIDI and play it, and hear it, but you can't do that while playing RB, it's one or the other.

As for the learning curve, you will swear, swear and swear, but it worths it, since you learn the real thing. The challenge is way higher than the 5 button thingy, and despite the horrible difficulty, this is really, really fun to play.

Since I bought the keyboard and the mustang, I totally stopped playing any basic instruments for 2 reasons: 1- Pro takes all the time I have to play RB, because I need to learn the songs, and keep playing them in order to stay good at them. 2- I now find 5 button thingy boring.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    It depends on how much you enjoy playing RB. If you are still a dedicated rkbd'er at heart then you might find the mustang to be fun and challenging enough to hold your interest. The price is actually pretty reasonable. The squier is virtually impossible to find now, and will pretty much cost your firstborn to purchase.

Another option for learning real guitar might be"Rocksmith" You'll need a real guitar, but I've heard good things about it from beginners wanting to learn how to play. There are several people in this community that have gone that route, and I believe there is a large thread in here somewhere.

Final thought. Sucking at something doesn't mean you can't enjoy it just as much as someone who plays like a pro. It's your own personal satisfaction that is important here. What does your gut tell you to do? Go with that. =)
  • googleimagegoogleimage Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    As long as you can accept that there won't be instant mastery, then to my mind there's no instrument that's more rewarding.

In terms of requisite skills, you'll need to have some knowledge of musical theory and a good dose of finger dexterity to play Expert well. But they're all skills you can develop along the way - if you don't have that classical training then you can find a suitable level and work your way up, and get tons of enjoyment all the same.
  • ZoiloCruzZoiloCruz Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Well all I've got to say it takes LOADS of practice :/ But if you're patient you'll be surprised what you can do, especially since Rock Band has some songs where you go like, "WTF that was so easy."
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Just get the Mustang and start off on Easy, do some stuff in the Trainer sections to get going.

On Easy it is closer to 5-button than anything. You might even want to go to Medium on some songs if you are getting close to FC on 5 button Expert.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I would say if you are someone who likes to work on songs/sections and wants to learn guitar then it will be worth it but i found when i had the pro guitar i was someone who would prefer to just sightread songs and i play mainly for fun.

I can probably gold star most of the easier songs on expert 5 button with a sightread but i don't really work on mastering songs/sections and if you have the pro guitar you will be playing yoshimi,i love rock and roll and most of the easy rb3 songs until you can't stand the sight of them.

I also have found that i have gotten a little worse on the 5 button compared to a couple of years ago but i also have drums,keys,mic and 1032 songs and i am happy to play for fun.
  • SixthbuttonSixthbutton Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    My ultimate goal is to be able to play the guitar. Not shred, I just want to learn to play an instrument. I've tried a real one a couple of times but got bored very quickly. I'm hoping the game will keep my interest long enough to get fairly decent at it. then move over to a real one.

I just bought a new Mustang, it'll be here in a week.
    edited November 2012
    Sixthbutton;4932123 said:
    My ultimate goal is to be able to play the guitar. Not shred, I just want to learn to play an instrument. I've tried a real one a couple of times but got bored very quickly. I'm hoping the game will keep my interest long enough to get fairly decent at it. then move over to a real one.

I just bought a new Mustang, it'll be here in a week.
    As long as you don't mind doing bad for a while you should be good, it's all about dedication and learning the songs :) You'll get it soon or later if you keep at it, most people I know with a mustang (including me) don't play enough :|
  • AhieliaAhielia Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Sixthbutton;4928537 said:
    For the past 4 or 5 years I haven't gotten any better, I'm actually worse now.
    How much have you actually played in that timespan?
    I practised 2-3 hours a week starting 2 years ago
    I'm getting bored of only having 5 buttons but I've tried a real guitar and it's pretty pathetic.
    Think about this for a little bit. On the plastic guitar, there's 5 buttons that will correspond to all 22 frets of the 6 strings on a guitar. Quick headcount makes 6x22=132.
    Naturally, going from 5 buttons to (essentially) 132 buttons will make you feel like a total newb, and pretty pathetic. The key is to stick with it. If you don't, you'll never get better.
    I have very little dexterity, rythem, or natural ability.
    That's what I thought when I first started playing with my mate (drunken AC/DC stand-offs), but eventually I got my own Rock Band, practised on my own, and now I'm better than he is. He hasn't been practising at all.
    I'm just wondering if I should spend the money or invest my time with the pro guitar. Basically, can anyone play or does is take a certain amount of natual ability?

Thanks!
    You should spend both the money and the time, as it's well worth it.
    Anyone can play, as long as they practise a bit. Naturally, not everyone will be as good as Angus Young (AC/DC, Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold) and the likes, but it'll still be meaningful, as you'll be improving yourself.

Remember, as you'll get better, you'll want to play more. And in that way, you'll play something that challenges your abilities, and through that, you'll get better. Because you want to.

tl;dr
    Keep at it, you'll be loads better in a few months' time.

E: one thing I kind of forgot:
    If you aren't afraid of failing, how will you learn new stuff+
    Because when you do learn new stuff, you will fail. There is no question that you will. The question is; will you get back up? Because that's what counts.
  • LordRavenBajaLordRavenBaja Mellow Out!!!
    edited November 2012
    You will not find a bigger fan of RB then me (well, maybe, but you'd have to search). But in my opinion, if you really want to learn guitar, get Rocksmith. I bought it for my son for xmas along with a $150 Fender Strat start up kit with amp. It was the best investment I've ever made for one of my kids, and I found myself playing it.

My son rips now. He played the game over and over again, not realizing that he was actually doing scales (it has these really cool game modes) or cord drills. He can play songs from the game without even having the game on now and is an amazing guitarist. (I still kick his butt at RB though!)

I'm ok, I don't put enough time in, but I can play some cords and don't do too bad at the game. It is super fun!!

I will never give up my RB game though. It's time to go back to playing now, cya.
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Patience, young grasshopper. You'll master the art of Pro Guitar with tons of practice, and be king of Rock Band........... I guess.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Pro skills totally carry over to regular guitar, so you could be king of your own rock band.
    edited November 2012
    I definitly don't expect to be playing well for months and months, years maybe. I do have plenty of time to invest. Lets put it this way: Learning to play a real guitar well is on my bucket list.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    The mustang. Feels SO UNNATURAL I can't play most tracks because of it. I don't even think it registers most of the fast(er) tracks.
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I'm GOOD at Rock Band and I suck at pro guitar, so definitely don't try it. Pro guitar is actually the only instrument I don't play regularly and I can't pass most songs on expert with it.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    88sBand;4932294 said:
    I don't even think it registers most of the fast(er) tracks.
    That's not true; people were FC'ing and GS'ing difficult charts with it within a week or two of RB3's release. (I remember that SpeedOfThought7 was one of them; he was a guitarist in a working band). You can see someone using a Mustang to play "Rainbow in the Dark" for 94% here.

It is pretty unnatural feeling though, but having learned something using it I could pick up my acoustic and play it. I got a Squier when that became available and gave my Mustang (and a keyboard that I bought by mistake and didn't return on time) to a close friend.
    edited November 2012
    I can confirm that the Mustang register everything. The only misses I do, are my fault. I've heard that the Squier has a hard time registering 6 strings chords though.
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4932374 said:
    I've heard that the Squier has a hard time registering 6 strings chords though.
    The problem with the Squier is that the sensitivity of strings 1 and 2 (e and B) almost always need tweaking out of the box.
    edited November 2012
    I've decided to go with the Rocksmith set-up. My only question is, where can I sell my Mustang and extra RB2 Strats? I didn't see an appriopriate place on this site. Both are in the sealed factory packaging.