Why do you play Rock Band?

Fa1thlessmayhemFa1thlessmayhem Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
Hi Everyone,

I am doing a research paper for my College Comprehensive writing class and we had to pick a community to write about. I choose Rock Band 3 to write my paper on and I am hoping that there will be a few of you out there willing to help me out and answer a few questions.

I have been playing Rock Band since it's beginning and if you would like to find me and play my gamer tag is Fa1th.

These are the questions that I have prepared for the community, I would appreciate it if you could answer them honestly.

When did you first start playing Rock Band?

Are you an active member on the community forums?

What was it that lured you to Rock band in the first place?

Why did you decide to learn a plastic instrument instead of a real instrument?

Do you play any of the pro instrument?

Do you play any real instruments?

Have you considered learning a real instrument based off of your experiences with Rock Band?

Have you ever played the game at a bar or someplace hosting a Rock Band game night?

Do you have specific people that you play with all the time, or do you play with random people most of the time?

Thank you to everyone willing to help, I really appreciate it!!

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    1: When RB1 was released for Wii.
    2: Yes.
    3: The ability to play 4 instruments on the same game.
    4: I did not decide that, I still play real instruments. I decided to learn the plastic thing for fun, then later, for the competition on the leaderboards.
    5: Yes I do, Keyboard and Bass.
    6: Yes I do, Keyboard, trumpet, and I've tried/played on alot of wind instruments.
    7: I might go for guitar, I will use this game to learn the chords.
    8: I played live on TV, on the MusiquePlus channel, in Montr
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Fa1thlessmayhem;4928676 said:
    When did you first start playing Rock Band? I got the game for myself in April 2010, so not nearly as long as everyone else here who's playing rhythm games since the dawn of time. I played RB2 and Beatles RB at a friend's house a few times prior to it.

Are you an active member on the community forums? 'Washed Up' is the highest post-related title you can get ;)

What was it that lured you to Rock band in the first place? It's fun. I like music, I like video games. That's really about it.

Why did you decide to learn a plastic instrument instead of a real instrument? Well hey there loaded question. I tried like hell to learn real guitar. It was a freaking grind and it was no fun whatsoever. Compared to getting to feel like a rockstar, it's an easy choice.

Do you play any of the pro instrument? Sure do. I've dabbled with Pro Bass and Pro Keys. I have zero interest in playing a real instrument outside the game, though, for the above reasons.

Do you play any real instruments? Not really. I don't have much musical ability. I played trombone in the high school band, but I was never very good.

Have you considered learning a real instrument based off of your experiences with Rock Band? Hell no.

Have you ever played the game at a bar or someplace hosting a Rock Band game night? Nope.

Do you have specific people that you play with all the time, or do you play with random people most of the time? Neither. Most of my play is solo. I've got about 20 or 30 people on my friends' list that I sometimes jam with, but it's always just based off "Hey, you wanna play?" messages. I don't schedule anything. And I sure don't play with randoms.
    ;
  • Iceman71421Iceman71421 Opening Act
    edited November 2012

When it was released.

Semi. I read most of the threads but just started posting every once in a while.

The songs and entertainment.

It was easier to jam out with friends on RB when we got the chance than to try to start a band.

Yes, pro keys and pro drums (until my cymbals broke)

Yes, drums and bass

Have you considered learning a real instrument based off of your experiences with Rock Band?

Yes

Have you ever played the game at a bar or someplace hosting a Rock Band game night?

Yes both

Do you have specific people that you play with all the time, or do you play with random people most of the time?

Yes to both depending on who is online.
  • jimmychoujimmychou Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    I would love to help.

When a friend of mine brought RB1 on PS2, I was amazed by the drums so I went out and brought a copy for myself. Been a semi-loyal fan every since. (I say semi-loyal because i still brought GH games, but my heart was always with RB)

I try to be. I usually comment on DLC prediction threads. I loved the "what's your favorite song from each game?" type of forum topics, but I guess they are a little trite now so no one does them anymore.

The drums and the bass.

I never had any interest in learning a real instrument. RB was just a game to me.

No.

Bass.

Yes. RB was the reason why I picked up a bass guitar.

No, I don't think I would have the guts to. I've seen myself play on video and I look like an idiot haha.

I usually play with randoms, or with my friends on the PS network.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    I first played it in 2007, first bought it in 2010
    Yes, though I feel you should get rid of this question since it has a certain bias, given it's asked on the community forums
    I played a lot of DDR in my day and I just really enjoy games that combine music and interactivity
    I play both. In fact, I'm comfortable on many real instruments
    Keys
    Guitar, bass, piano, sax, ukulele, recorder, harmonica, and any derivations of any of those
    I'm considering buying a drum kit, though I don't have enough money at the moment for one
    No wait...I'm underage :(
    I usually play solo, but when I play multiplayer it's with random people
  • atalkingfishatalkingfish Opening Act
    edited November 2012

For the most part, yes.

I played Guitar Hero, and then Rock Band seemed better, it played better, was more consistent, looked better, and so I chose it over Guitar Hero.

I do play real instruments. I played the piano, classically, for many years before picking up Rock Band. I also played (to an extent) the drums. I prefer playing plastic instruments for the sake of the game. I don't usually play pro because I pursue playing or recording real instruments when I'm in that sort of mood. Rock Band has dramatically increased my ability to play drums.

I can play pro keys, more or less, but choose to, for the most part, play the real piano, away from the game.

Why would you ask this question when the answer "no" was assumed two questions ago. Yes. Piano, Drums, and to a lesser extent, bass.

Are you kidding me? These questions are terribly inconsistent. I started learning the guitar and bass after Rock Band, but I'm not sure if it was because of Rock Band. My drumming got a lot better because of Rock Band.

My friends would have regular Rock Band parties, and that was fun. Not at a bar, though, I don't drink.

I played with a few friends most of the time. I played with my friend Jade a lot. So, about 90% of the time I was playing, it was with these friends. Then one of them moved away. And one of them stopped talking to me. And the other had an incredibly busy personal life. So the idea of even playing Rock Band depressed me entirely. It was awful. One of my only solaces from life taken away along with nearly all of my social life. I contemplated suicide. Really, I did. I didn't want to kill myself, but I really really wished I could kill myself, you know? Like.. periods of times where I would hope that a car would come and kill me so it wouldn't be suicide, but I wouldn't have to be alive anymore. It was awful. After a while, I ended up getting Minecraft to play online with one of my friends who moved away. It was nice to have someone to talk to, even if it was only over the internet. I, of course, needed a gold membership (I play on XBox), so I decided one day to start playing with people online. I got some of my old XBox friends, plus some friends through the Band Wanted forum and reddit's /r/rockband subreddit, and I started playing with people. I was alone in my room, and people rarely used headsets, but for that period of time, I could relive the joy of unison overdrive, score-chasing, and shooting for gold stars. It was great. It rejuvenated me. I decided to go reach out to some of my lesser friends (that is, people I knew, but didn't hang out with regularly). We started hanging out more and more and, wouldn't you know it, we even started playing Rock Band! So now I play with new friends and randoms and XBox friends. It's great.
  • anthonyewesleyanthonyewesley Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, I've been reading these forums for nearly 2 years now, and finally a question that makes me want to register so I can reply :-)

Apololgies - this is a long post...

I'm a long time computer software developer and game player (47 yo now), been into computer and gaming since the late 70's.I kind of heard about the whole guitar hero thing a few years ago but it didn't look like my kind of thing. I wasn't interested at all in the plastic imitation guitars etc, it looked like something that was aimed at kids around the early teens.

And then, in December 2010, my niece and her kids brought their copy of GH (can't remember what version) and Wii, and plastic guitars, *and toy drum kit* over for christmas and showed me what I was missing :-) The key to it all was the drum kit, I had never seen it advertised, and I had always wanted to be a drummer, but never got the chance, never even picked up a pair of sticks before - not interested in other instruments at all. It took about 30 seconds of playing on the toy drum kit for me to be totally hooked :-)

So then I went looking on the net to see what I should get for myself, and discovered RB3 had just been released and ... here's the miracle... would interface to *a real e-drum kit*. I was in heaven. Bought a Roland kit (started with a cheap td-4, now I have a combo td-9 and td-4), pro adapter, a wii (questionable choice now, but in 2010 it looked like the easiest option).

I didn't buy the toy drum kit for myself, but I did buy a copy of RB3 complete with pro keyboard and toy drum kit for my niece and her kids as a thank-you a few months ago :-)

My wife likes to play keyboard, so we have both pro instruments set up in one room of the house, her yamaha keyboard and my drum kit.

So now I'm completely addicted, play maybe 2 to 3 hours a day on the drums (and have been since I got it all working in Jan 2011). Just reached a major goal a few days ago of 200 gold stars, and play about 300 songs out of the 600-ish on expert, almost everything else is high 90-s on hard. My goals are simple:

1. have Fun
    2. Improve (even just a little) each day.

The "Have Fun" goal is the secret for me - I would never have gone out for traditional drumming lessons, for various reasons. But this is honestly the most fun I've ever had on a computer. It beats 10+ years of Counter-Strike and Diablo hands down :-)

I read lots on the net about technique etc, subscribed to a couple of online mags. I read the forums here regularly, in the beginning to get info about hardware and DLC.

I've hosted two RB3 game days at my place, friends with kids have brought them around to have a play on the plastic guitars that we have in the cupboard (I think they're GH guitars but they work with RB3 for the kids), and I've converted a couple of them to drummers after letting them have a play on my td9/4 kit :-)

And the parents have a blast as well - some of them can play real instruments, guitar, keyboard and one sax. Thankfully I live way out in the country where we can make lots of noise and not annoy the neighbors :-)

I haven't (yet) played online, maybe one day, but that doesn't really interest me.

I'll probably never pay in a band or gig anywhere, again, that doesn't interest me, and honestly it's probably a bit late for me to want to try something like that, but I'm having an absolute blast. I'd consider myself a competent drummer now, not bad at all for someone who had never played a couple of years ago.

My only hope is that HMX keeps supporting RB3. I've invested a lot of time and $$. I'd buy RBB in an instant if it was available for my wii, just to get the songs into RB3.

regards, Anthony
  • billybobjoe1881billybobjoe1881 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    July 7th 2008
    I read the forums on a regular basis but don't post often
    RUSH - Moving Pictures album being available as DLC
    It was cheaper and easier
    No
    I used to play the Trombone
    No
    No
    Do you have specific people that you play with all the time, or do you play with random people most of the time? I used to play with a few friends quite often but due to my instruments breaking and my friends unwilling to help replace them, I usually play solo now.
  • ReluctantAdeptReluctantAdept Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Roughly January 2011.
    Define "active?" I'm on the forum, or I wouldn't be posting here. I don't post nearly as frequently as some. I do generally stop by at least once a week to see what new DLC is coming, and how it's being received.
    The introduction of Pro instruments, keys in particular.
    If you learn nothing else from this process you should learn about Observer Bias. Your question is anything but neutral. I didn't learn "a plastic instrument instead of a real instrument." I applied some of the skills I've learned on "real" instruments, some of which are indeed made with plastic. My Kurzweil K2500X is a serious professional instrument. So is my Shigeru Kawai SK7 piano. I also own and play accoustic drums and an electric bass guitar, though less frequently.
    I play pro instruments almost exclusively, primarily keys and drums, and I did pick up the Fender guitar to tinker with. The only time I play legacy instruments is in a party context.
    See above.
    Again, note the bias implied by the question. The game has certainly inspired me to spend more time with all of the instruments I play. I wouldn't say I've been inspired to take up a new instrument.
    No.
    On the infrequent occasions that I play online, it's by specifically inviting friends. More often I play solo, or with other people who are physically present.
  • DominusVitaDominusVita Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Day One. I remember it launched the same day Mass Effect came out. The technical term for that is "nerdgasm".
    Not as much as I should be, I suppose. I tend to lean towards the BioWare forums due to the larger traffic and activity overall. I'll always be a music genre fan, first and foremost.
    It essentially took everything learned from the Guitar Hero days, taking notes from the BEMANI series(of the most obvious, the GF + DM jam session feature), and making one of the best music games to date. I've always been a drummer, and unfortunately Drummania costed a whole lot of quarters back in the day. Having a personal Mini-DrumKit was a dream to me.
    Convenience. The Structure of stringed instruments doesn't really connect as well to me as Drums and Piano. I already knew how to play drums beforehand.
    Drums and Keyboard.
    See the Above answer.
    I'm half tempted to try guitar, but I'm not sure it's really for me. I know where my skills lie, and it isn't with strings.
    GH, yes. RB, no. All the arcade series from BEMANI I did a ton, but rock band nights don't happen often where I live.
    None. I'm the drumming hermit.
  • Mr-TyKMr-TyK Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I am doing a research paper for my College Comprehensive writing class and we had to pick a community to write about. I choose Rock Band 3 to write my paper on and I am hoping that there will be a few of you out there willing to help me out and answer a few questions.

I have been playing Rock Band since it's beginning and if you would like to find me and play my gamer tag is Fa1th.

These are the questions that I have prepared for the community, I would appreciate it if you could answer them honestly.
    I'll try to give you as complete answers as I can.
    Christmas of 2008, at my youngest brother in law's home.
    His kids had gotten a band set up and we old folks gave it a try.
    Now with that said, it must be understood that I am old enough to be those kids grandfather.
    Off and on. I read much more than I post. I am active on other fora.
    The fun I had playing with my in laws and their kids. My wife and I had tons of fun playing and decided to get our own set up.
    When I found I could play with them on line, it was an added incentive.
    I didn't learn a "plastic instrument" I enjoyed the game controllers but never tried to "master" them. I'll play them on medium and go for 100 percent but never cared to do more.
    I played "real" instruments in college. I was a low brass major, going for a music education degree and dabbled in keyboard with a wedding band in my twenties.
    No. Probably never will. I just enjoy playing the Rock band games for fun.
    I feel that "working" at it that hard would cost a degree of fun.
    Besides, I can't improvise at all. Its a matter of hitting what is there and not putting my spin on it.
    Play "pro anything" just wouldn't be that much fun for me.
    Yes, at least I did many decades ago. As stated earlier I was a music major specializing in low brass (trombone, baritone, and tuba (Sousaphone for marching).
    Later I did keyboards/vocals with a wedding band
    Non sequitur. Rock Band is fun and a good time for me if not taken seriously.
    From my experience in "real" musical groups, they require hard work and dedication. In a "real" live music situation improvisation, playing with temp and dynamics, and other sorts of adaptations can be made.
    Working in a group long enough gives a feel for what the other musicians will do and are doing. it should look like fun and play to an audience but its really the result of many hours of playing together.

I am not a video game player and never have been. These Rock band games are the only reason we bought a game console.
    Not at a bar but we would have Rock Band parties with the kids. Great fun!
    Kids, being fickle with their game choices, have sort of moved on to other video games. They will still play when visiting but their own equipment broke years ago.
    Did, but not so much now. As stated earlier, the kids aren't in the game anymore and their equipment has fallen in to disrepair long ago.
    I did play with some older players on line during the RB2 era. It was just online for fun and scores weren't taken seriously. I have not seen them on the RB3 set up, so its been a while.
    I hope my answers help you. Good luck with your paper.
  • BorschotzBorschotz Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    1. I played for the first time back in '07 when RB 1 came out.

2. Not too active in the community, only log in here about 1-2 times a month.

3. What attracted me was the fusion of video game and instrument.

4. I had already played the real drums for over a decade before RB.

5. No.

6. I do play real drums.

7. n/a

8. No.

9. I used to play with two friends (live, not online) once a week as well as play with randoms online, now I strictly play by myself.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    October 2009 if my memory serves my right
    Recently, I'd say so
    It was just too fun to play. The setlist for RB1 was awesome.
    I had no real interest at the time to learn the real thing. It seemed far too complicated.
    All of them (I don't have the squire, only the mustang)
    I play the guitar
    After a couple of years, yes.
    No. These events don't seem to exist in the UK :(
    I can't seem to find people online. I play with a couple of friends locally, and one or two of the forum members online.

Hope your project goes well, hope this helps :)
  • xlguruxlguru Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine was going to Buffalo, NY, I lived in Toronto at the time, and I had him pick up a complete set of RB1 that I gave as a Christmas present for my niece and 2 nephews. It wasn't available in Canada at the time. I started playing Xmas 2007. I'll always remember my first experience with plastic guitar, my youngest nephew saying to me "You suck Uncle Ron!"
    I come by a couple of times a month, but I don't post much.
    The social aspect and the ability to sing all of my favourite songs.
    I took guitar lessons when I was 13...didn't work out.
    No. Mainly singing.
    I bought Rocksmith with the guitar to learn how to play. RB Pro guitar wasn't available in Canada. Not sure if it is yet.
    Yes, see above.
    Yes many times. I have organized multiple events for fun and charity at local pubs. My 1,225 song library is a big hit. :)
    I play with family, friends and co-workers. I've never played with random people.
    My pleasure, good luck.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Hi Everyone,

Started with GHIII when it released, picked up Rock Band in 09.
    Yes.
    The setlist, namely Won't Get Fooled Again
    I already played real instruments. I play the game to have fun.
    Keyboard(and harmonies if they count)
    Tuba primarily
    Drums work well as a set of practice pads. I've learned how to drum.
    No
    My brother and/or dad if they're available, never felt the appeal of playing online in a game like this
  • a1ltobeg0dly16a1ltobeg0dly16 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    When did you first start playing Rock Band: Played Guitar hero for the first time in 06, haven't stopped since. Making the transition from gh3 to rock band 1 in 07 was quite interesting!

Are you an active member on the community forums: Yes, i use the site quite a lot for information weekly on new songs and whats happening in the music world.

What was it that lured you to Rock band in the first place: I've been an active musician since i was 11 years old (19 now) Played trumpet throughout high school and Guitar/drums in jazz band from 7th-12th grade.

Why did you decide to learn a plastic instrument instead of a real instrument: I picked up Rock band as a hobby really, it was something all of my friends and I could relate to after going to school and coming to my place to jam and blow off some steam.

Do you play any of the pro instrument: Play pro guitar/bass every so often.

Do you play any real instruments: Piano, Trumpet, Violin, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Saxophone, Trombone

Have you considered learning a real instrument based off of your experiences with Rock Band: It has opened a lot of doors for unique instruments.

Have you ever played the game at a bar or someplace hosting a Rock Band game night: At school, at Parties, At work, ect.

Do you have specific people that you play with all the time, or do you play with random people most of the time: It's a mix. I like to make new friends by meeting new people at random online, but I do have some real life friends i play with a lot or a lot of friends i've made over the years we play online together a lot!
  • TheDescentTheDescent Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    - I bought it in september 2009, but the first Rythm Game I ever bought was GHIII in 2007.

- I think so... I don't know how many regulars remember me

- It's quite funny but I always thought to be good at rythm games in general. I first started with games like Stepmania, and
    since I love rock music, I felt like this was the game for me.

- I play both. So "Instead" isn't really a word. When I wanna have fun for the sake of it, I play Rock Band, when I wanna play
    a real instrument I pick up my bass.

- Only pro keys, but I'm not good at that.

- I Played saxophone for over 10 years, then I switched to Guitar and Bass in early 00s. I can also play Drums and Clarinet.

- Drums. Rock Band helped me a lot with learning the rudiments. I'm not good, but I'm improving at both real and plastic drums as of lately.

- Not really. I'm the host of "rock band nights"... at my home. I'd really like to do a RBNight at a bar, but It's difficult to find a place.

- I have a "real" fake band and a virtual fake one. I play with my friends at my home, usually the same person for the same instrument. I also play online with regulars now and then.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: I want to point out that RB didn't come to europe until late 2008/early 2009..
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    In 2010

Yes, sort of.

My best friend buyed a RB2 bundle and I started to play with her.

I play real instruments too, RB is for fun, thanks to this game I discovered many songs.

Yes, keyboard PRO.

Yes, piano.

I considered to start a vocal course, because I really like to sing.

Here in Italy there aren't.

I have my best friend, she plays PRO Drums, and then I play online with friends and random people.
  • ZawashZawash Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I first started playing Rock Band when it was released in Europe.
    I'm not an active member on the community forums.
    I liked playing guitar in Guitar Hero III (got it for PC before buying a PS3), and was thrilled about playing the drums too.
    It's easier and more fun to play a plastic instrument - at first, anyway. :)
    I play a tiny bit of pro keyboard (why play the non-pro keyboard?), a tiny bit of pro guitar and a lot of pro drums.
    I have bought a nice e-drum kit with MIDI out, and after playing Rock Band for a while I'm now taking drum lessons, trying to learn to play "real" drums. I also have a guitar. :)
    I have brought my Rock band setup to a party at work once.
    I mostly play by myself or with friends coming over - I don't play much online.

Fun questions! :)
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    about 4 years ago, visiting a friend's house

yes

nothing in particular; what lured me to buy it for myself was the fun of playing drums

i learned to play real instruments way before this game ever existed

all of them

yes; guitar, bass, drums

i've considered trying to learn drums better; guitar and bass i already know well enough

no

play by myself most of the time
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Hi Everyone,
    I first started playing about a month after it came out. I already owned GH1, 2 and 3 at the time, and I was at a friend's party where they had Rock Band set up. Played it, loved the drums, went out and bought it on the way home.

Kind of, but I suppose compared to an average person I am. I don't reply to a lot of the threads, but I do visit daily.

The drums lured me in. I had always wanted to play them as a kid, but I chose sports instead. No regrets, but now Rock Band has given me the chance to "play" without needing years of training.

I'm way too lazy to go through the rigors of daily practicing. I have no want to join a band or create music, so I'm not very driven to learn a real instrument.

I play all the pro instruments, but play the guitar/bass very poorly.

Nope.

Considered, yes, but ultimately ruled no since I have no will to practice.

I have! We used to have monthly Rock Band parties a few years ago.

Since I moved a few years ago, I don't play with anyone. I just groove by myself.
    See above.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2012
    Your questions carry some interesting assumptions - that people answering play plastic instruments, that they play online, that they decided to learn plastic instruments "instead" of real instruments. I suggest being careful about this kind of thing when preparing interview questions in the future, as it will skew your data.

1) 2007, right after it came out.
    2) Yes.
    3) A friend of mine convinced me to try Rock Band. I'd been completely unimpressed with Guitar Hero, but this game allowed me to sing - and that made a world of difference.
    4) I'm a proud RB vocalist and I play quite a few real instruments.
    5) Yes - pro bass and pro keys both.
    6) Yes - harp, piano, bass clarinet, bass guitar, flute....
    7) Yes - took 6 months of bass lessons after starting RB pro bass.
    8) Yes.
    9) I don't play online, so the only people I play with are people I know.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited November 2012

Yes

I played the Guitar Hero game before and loved them

I knew a little Bass Guitar before playing Guitar Hero but I found it much more fun to play the games

Yes Drums, Keys and as of a few weeks ago I started Pro Guitar

I know 4 Songs on Bass Guitar but I have not played in over a year

ehh I kinda played my bass a few times after Rock Band but nothing else

I play at parties all the time... Can't go to a bar because I am not 21

I play with my friends and brothers all the time... never with random people
  • Foos036Foos036 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    The day Rock Band came out. I had it preordered and will never forget the joy of opening the bundle and setting everything up. My entire family played all night.

Kind of. I've been a member for years, and I check the forums pretty much daily. But I never actually posted anything until recently.

Guitar Hero 2

I had already played piano/keyboards for several years, and I also owned a guitar and was trying to teach myself. Plastic instruments were just another way to interact with music.

All of them. I have the Squire guitar and an Ion drum kit. Whenever I play RB3 now, pro guitar is usually getting most of my time.

See above. Over the last 3 years or so I've improved immensely at guitar. I can also handle myself on a drum set pretty well now thanks to Rock Band, and when I play pro drums I typically play on expert.

Not only have I considered it, I've done it.

Never at a bar, but certainly at parties.

Play with family and friends all the time.
  • Cleaver1Cleaver1 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    When it first came out (bought as complete set)

Somewhat

The love of music and the ability to play online with friends.

I didn't, I am a real musician, just enjoy playing RB with friends online, without that, I would be just playing the real instruments.

Yes nearly exclusively, Pro drums, pro guitar, pro keys

yes, guitar, bass, drums, saxophone and piano.

Bought RB because I'm already into music

At a party once, not in a bar or anything.

Very specific people from friends list that play for fun and have some laughs, but occasionally venture into random quickplay for a few sets (usually ends badly).
  • MileycyrussouljaMileycyrussoulja Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    1. 2009
    2. Yes
    3. I played RB2 at a friends house and really enjoyed it.
    4. Well, I figured playing a plastic instrument would inspire me to play a real instrument, and it did. I now play drums and am a professional drummer.
    5. Yes, pro keys, but I can't play pro guitar/bass because I stink at it
    6. Yes, drums and keyboard
    7. As I aforementioned, I already did; I started to become a drummer after playing the drums in Rock Band.
    8. Nope
    9. I usually play by myself.
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    When did you first start playing Rock Band? - April 2008

Are you an active member on the community forums? - I lurk alot, post occasionally

What was it that lured you to Rock band in the first place? - looked like a better version of Guitar Hero, and the cooncept of weekly DLC souded appealing

Why did you decide to learn a plastic instrument instead of a real instrument? - I have no musical ability what so ever. Closest I was ever going to get to rocking out

Do you play any of the pro instrument? - tried pro guitar, didn't catch on at all

Do you play any real instruments? - not a chance

Have you considered learning a real instrument based off of your experiences with Rock Band? - I wish I could learn to play guitar. I know my limitations though, and it is unlikely to ever happen

Have you ever played the game at a bar or someplace hosting a Rock Band game night? - no, but would if the opportunity presented itself

Do you have specific people that you play with all the time, or do you play with random people most of the time? 99% of the time I play solo, the other 1% is when the wife joins in on legacy keys
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited November 2012

January 2009.

A little bit.

I had been playing Guitar Hero since GHIII's launch, to the day, and I decided it was time to try out the competition. After spending some time playing Rock Band 2 and then going back to Guitar Hero World Tour, I realized the latter was not really all that good.

You can play more in a given time in Rock Band than you can learn in the same amount on a real guitar.

I used to play pro keys, but lately I've been sticking to the regular keys.

I used to play guitar.

Yes, I spent a couple years learning how to play guitar.

No. I recall one time when a school event had GHWT set up, but never Rock Band.

I play solo almost entirely. I only play with others when my cousins are over or when I have Xbox Live Gold, which is rare.
  • edited November 2012

Sometime in the first half of 2008. Can't remember which month exactly.

I dare say so, yes. :)

Being able to play drums, and the great setlist of RB1.

Because I was looking for a fun video game that just happened to be music-related, and wasn't (and am still not) interested in picking up an actual skillset. So, in other words: the higher short-term entertainment value.

Yes, pro keys and pro drums.

Nope.

I've considered it, but I don't really have the time to seriously dedicate myself to learning an instrument. That and my neighbors and family probably wouldn't be too happy about me playing actual drums.

I've helped demo it at a major games convention in Europe, so that probably counts. ;)

Specific people, and even then only rarely (as people on my PSN friends list can attest). I usually play solo these days.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Early 2008. My junior year in high school, I went to hang out at a buddy's house and he had the game. I quickly discovered I had a talent for vocals. My first day playing I was singing The Hand That Feeds on hard difficulty.
    I drift in and out from time to time. I used to be more active, especially last summer.
    The amazingness of interacting with music in such a different way. I had seen Guitar Hero before and thought it seemed silly, but the Rock Band drums and vocals added an aspect of realism and cooperative play that just lured me right in. From there I came to appreciate how much fun the 5-button guitar was, despite being impractical.
    As I said, I discovered a talent for vocals. Though I did practice and got fairly good at plastic guitar, the instrument I could always play best was... myself.
    I have an ION drum kit with all the fixings. I LOVE playing those 2x bass Amberian Dawn songs. I would get into pro strings except I don't have one of the ridiculously expensive Pro guitar controllers. I got the pro keyboard on RB3 release date, and I've played around with it and still pick it up from time to time. But I SUCK.
    No, but Rock Band has awakened me to the techniques of drumming. I could become a drummer if I wanted to. But I can definitely sing.
    I had hoped Pro Guitar would be a good teacher of guitar. But I never got one of the controllers.
    I've hosted RB nights in some public places of a dorm where I used to live, but besides that not recently.
    I used to play with my buddy a lot, but he never got RB3, so I usually play with randoms. I get a lot of friend requests from random people after I get 100% on expert vocals on several songs in a row.
    You're welcome.