Migrating DLC to Wii U

RayvenRayven Unsigned
edited March 2013 in Rock Band
Well, we've spent all day trying to do this at our house and we're stuck in limbo now. We did the migration, but now, we can't get DLC on either Wii console without re-downloading every song one at a time. The old Wii doesn't have the DLC and the Wii U refuses to download anything over a certain size because it seems to think we're limited to the base storage of the old one. We used an SD card in the old one. The SD card apparently can't be used to store stuff for the new one.

Anyway, has anyone gotten their DLC to transfer from the old Wii to the Wii U? If so, can you explain how you pulled it off? We've looked at the stuff both from within Rock Band itself and from the Wii store and can't figure anything else to try.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments

• rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Really? Re download everything? One by one!? My whole library of over 500 songs?
    Am I supposed to quit my job? Seriously, wow...

This really down graded my view on wanting to get a Wii U
    D:
    edited November 2012
    Rayven;4928989 said:
    What about the Green Day imported stuff? And the RB2 imported stuff? We tried to redeem our codes again because it didn't show that we'd already purchased it but it said it was already redeemed by another console (which is true, but it's our own other old console).

Oh crap! even less reason now... :/
  • ASPMikeASPMike Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Imports are another issue altogether. You /should/ be able to redownload all those imports. Anything specific? I would suggest at least talking to Hmx support, see what they say. They may refer you to Nintendo to corect your problem

Rockman05, yes im serious.
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    We can't figure out if it's the problems are originating from the console side or if it's something about the Rock Band software itself. We knew the SD card wasn't going to be a viable storage source for the Wii U, but everything we've read said that all our DLC would port over. But if Rock Band won't natively accept the storage capacity of the new Wii U, I'm not sure how to convince it...
    edited November 2012
    Have you tried actually selecting save to system memory? And wii U DOES have a SD card slot so you can use that still
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    As far as specifics, I'm not sure what you're asking. We purchased RB 2 and the Green Day pack on physical disks. And they came with their own codes. When we got RB3, we redeemed the codes and got the content that would port. We've also downloaded a ton of titles from the store.

When we go to the store now, we do see all our RB3 DLC and it shows up as purchased. However, when we go to the Green Day or RB2 stuff, it's wanting us to re-purchase the content.

Also, my husband is explaining to me that on our old Wii, we have the Green Day and RB2 items available on our SD card. However, the old Wii does not acknowledge any of our RB3 purchases (which we understand because it was transferred off).

The only space on the Wii U we seem to be permitted to populate is the "512 MB" of system memory that the old Wii console would allow. And from RB3, we are not allowed to access the SD card.
    edited November 2012
    Then i doubt people will be able to use the internal storage of the Wii U. But that's what happens when you emulate the entire Wii console on a console( wii-ception). The imports issue looks to be something that Harmonix has to deal with. Im glad your DLC works tho, I am quite saddened by Hmx lack of response time on this, especially with imports.

However, the SD card should work. I know it works in the rival game (GH)

Ill try and talk to a few people in the fb group i manage (little over 100 people) maybe they will know.
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    As far as the SD cards go, we are able to access the cards from the Wii U's Wii channel and four different cards were tried - a blank 2G card, two 16G cards with the old Wii's data copied on them, and a FAT32-formatted 64G card that works in the old Wii. In all of these cases, when launching Rockband 3, it will ask if we want to save content to the SD card. when "Yes" is selected, an error is returned about SD cards being disabled. Re-enabling it through Options->System Settings (or whatever)->SD (whatever) will attempt to access the card again (and fail). So, it does not appear that we can save via SD card within Rockband 3 on the Wii U and while we can re-download the content, we can only have about 10 RB3 DLC songs downloaded at a time, making that option very limited in its usefullness. As for the RB2 or Green Day content, we can't download the RB2 stuff without paying another $10 and it is not showing that we ever redeemed the Green Day code. As for using additional system memory from the Wii U or a USB mass storage device, those do not appear to be recognized on the Wii channel.
    edited November 2012
    Here's hoping Harmonix provides some sort of support!
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    If things just wont download thats a Nintendo thing not a Harmonix thing. I cant thing of a situation where it would be a Harmonix thing.
    edited November 2012
    The SD card issue is partly Hmx. Which it wouldnt take much for them to work with nintendo to help them find a fix on that console. Downloading you are correct
    edited November 2012
    For harmonix to fix this, they would have to implement some kind of game update so that it could read the SD card. I doubt that's gonna happen since Wii games never supported updates. As for Nintendo, they can fix this by adding a firmware update that allows the game to read the SD card like if it was functioning on the Wii. This is a more likely scenario. Now whether this happens or when, is another matter.

All I can say is this is fault of both Nintendo and Harmonix for not looking into this before the console was released. Although not surprised on Harmonix part since they tend to put Wii last when it comes to support.
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    ASPMike;4929056 said:
    The SD card issue is partly Hmx. Which it wouldnt take much for them to work with nintendo to help them find a fix on that console. Downloading you are correct

Nope, it's all nintendo. RB3 was designed for the Wii, not the WiiU. It was perfectly compatible on the wii, if there is a problem with RB3 and the SD card on the wiiU, I don't think that HMX can do something about it since there is no way to update wii games.

EDIT: I got ninja'd...
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Well I'm not here to banter who should fix what, really. I just want to know if anyone else has had success with this, since portability of all our old stuff was an advertised feature of the console. I also don't know if Nintendo has changed at all with regards to offering us an option to patch anything. We've had some pretty atrocious bugs pop up on our Wii Rock Band 3 that were addressed with patches by other consoles but Wii could never take advantage of that because of Nintendo. I do think that if Rock Band itself is hard-coded to only recognize a certain physical amount of space based on the old console, then that would be a stellar opportunity for a patch, yes, if one can be made available to us.
  • FoX_RFoX_R Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Probably the exports will have the "music licensing is hard" explanation, but the SD card not working is stupid. And since the Wii BC was a patch for the Wii U, I think Nintendo could patch that patch... patch patch patch... Anyway I was on the edge of upgrading but this and the thing about being able to play my VC games with a GCN controller make me think twice or thrice.

Edit: Most probable scenario though: "The Wii does not have enough players to justify the effort of doing the patch and BLAHBLAHBLAH"
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929062 said:
    All I can say is this is fault of both Nintendo and Harmonix for not looking into this before the console was released. Although not surprised on Harmonix part since they tend to put Wii last when it comes to support.

It is not at all the fault of Harmonix. DLC worked fine on the Wii because Rock Band 3 is a Wii game. Everything on the Wii U with this stuff is Nintendo's fault.
    edited November 2012
    FoX_R;4929119 said:
    Edit: Most probable scenario though: "The Wii does not have enough players to justify the effort of doing the patch and BLAHBLAHBLAH"

Wii games aren't patchable at all.
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4929136 said:
    It is not at all the fault of Harmonix. DLC worked fine on the Wii because Rock Band 3 is a Wii game. Everything on the Wii U with this stuff is Nintendo's fault.
    If the Rock Band software was hard coded to never ever EVER recognize that somewhere, in some tiny speck of the universe, a console with a known shelf life of many years could possibly, maybe and perhaps have a different size of physical memory, then this is illogical software design.

You're also missing the fact that the Wii actually runs totally inside the Wii U. The Wii U boots up an entire instance of the Wii when it plays a Wii game. It runs a whole virtual copy of the Wii OS.

In any event, as I said, I didn't begin this thread to lay blame. I want to know if anyone has gotten the migration to work.
  • RayvenRayven Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929144 said:

Historically, no. I've seen a few articles here and there however that seem to indicate we may get patching capabilities. I'm not sure if it will work on the older titles at all, and frankly, nothing I've seen has struck me as particularly conclusive.

I know that the console itself got an update. And when my daughter has put in both the games we got with the console, it downloaded updates for those as well. Which sounds a whole lot like a patch to me. But both the titles were actually the Nintendo ones (Super Mario and the Nintendo Land) so I don't know what the limitations are going to be as far as titles from other vendors.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Alternity;4929144 said:

This is not true because both Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 received several updates. The game has to be built to accept them even Call of Duty: World at War received background hotfixes. Guitar Hero 5 had 2 "patches" with that you could download an update in the GH Music Store to allow compatibility of GHWT DLC. There a very few cases but there are some.

Edit: Slightly ninja'd but mine elaborated.
    edited November 2012
    Rayven;4929156 said:
    I know that the console itself got an update. And when my daughter has put in both the games we got with the console, it downloaded updates for those as well. Which sounds a whole lot like a patch to me. But both the titles were actually the Nintendo ones (Super Mario and the Nintendo Land) so I don't know what the limitations are going to be as far as titles from other vendors.

The console is updatable, but then again, it's also very downgradable. The updates that came with the games aren't downloaded, they are from the disc, and they are needed for the game to run (usually the game will ask for an update because you are on an outdated firmware, and the game needs a specific version, or above), or in the case of RB, to install the files required for the instruments.
    GameMaster439 said:
    This is not true because both Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 received several updates. The game has to be built to accept them even Call of Duty: World at War received background hotfixes. Guitar Hero 5 had 2 "patches" with that you could download an update in the GH Music Store to allow compatibility of GHWT DLC. There a very few cases but there are some.
    I did not know that, I would very like to see how the update were done. I was in the homebrew scene for wii for a loooong time and I've never seen such updates.
    edited November 2012
    As much as i hate to say this I am currently in the homebrew scene and did know of these updates to those titles (Tho all my music games i do play legitly on it... so much money o.o (Hexen was a horrible port, lol))

It's not that patching is impossible it's that these games arent really supported past release other than with DLC. Mainly cause the wii's lack of internal storage. Maybe a modified digital re-release of RB3 for wii U is in order? (one can only hope)

I wouldnt mind if the company that did the RB3 port and Nintendo at least collaborated on finding that issue. At least that way Nintendo will patch the console a whole lot faster than it would if you were to rely solely on Nintendo.
    edited November 2012
    Rayven;4929153 said:
    If the Rock Band software was hard coded to never ever EVER recognize that somewhere, in some tiny speck of the universe, a console with a known shelf life of many years could possibly, maybe and perhaps have a different size of physical memory, then this is illogical software design.

You're also missing the fact that the Wii actually runs totally inside the Wii U. The Wii U boots up an entire instance of the Wii when it plays a Wii game. It runs a whole virtual copy of the Wii OS.

In any event, as I said, I didn't begin this thread to lay blame. I want to know if anyone has gotten the migration to work.

SD cards do work with Rock Band on the actual Wii console. So anything on the Wii U console is on Nintendo's shoulders and their shoulders alone.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited November 2012
    rockman05;4929062 said:
    How is it Harmonix's fault for building a game for one system and it not working on a new system developed separately outside of the scope of their software?

It's all on Nintendo.
    edited November 2012
    ASPMike;4929207 said:
    It's not that patching is impossible it's that these games arent really supported past release other than with DLC.
    I think it has more to do with Nintendo not offering a patching infrastructure, so one has to be built from scratch by any company that wants to support patching, which has a lot of initial expense (though it means that all patching can be done for free later, rather than the $40,000 it costs on the PS360)

Anyway, I hope they work it out. I'm not a Wii RBer anymore, but I do have a Wii, and am curious what happens when you migrate and how the system looks (Seriously, do they upscale games on the Wii-u?)
  • fcmleftyfcmlefty Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Bront20;4929211 said:
    How is it Harmonix's fault for building a game for one system and it not working on a new system developed separately outside of the scope of their software?

It's all on Nintendo.

Agreed! Backwards compatibility is all on Nintendo at this point. HMX made a game for the original wii. It performs just as expected on the wii.
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I can't even get into the music store unless I transfer everything over from the Wii to the WiiU.

Based on the feedback so far, it's too risky to try at this point until someone -- Harmonix, Nintendo, whomever -- can make a definitive statement on the issue.
    edited November 2012
    Bront20;4929216 said:
    (Seriously, do they upscale games on the Wii-u?)
    Yes! I read somewhere on here the game looks beautiful (well the highway and stuffbg not so much)
    fcmlefty;4929219 said:
    Agreed! Backwards compatibility is all on Nintendo at this point. HMX made a game for the original wii. It performs just as expected on the wii.

Hmx made the game, didnt do the porting. That was an outside studio. I do think Hmx should make a statement about the wii u. Report the problem to Nintendo get them on the issue, ASAP. I know next month im getting a Wii U so i heavily read up on the process and i have a couple friends who did migrate already. Oddly RB is the only game with these Import and SD problems.. as for why. I do not know. i doubt it's only Nintendo's problem, the software has a key role to play in this too at this point. Just sayin.
    edited November 2012
    ASPMike;4929335 said:
    Yes! I read somewhere on here the game looks beautiful (well the highway and stuffbg not so much)
    Must be a change, as I did some research, and the reviewers say they don't.
    edited November 2012
    Words came directly from Reggie, lol. Upcales Wii games to 1080p. Would have been with the first initial update