Movie of the Year - Discussion Thread

Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
edited January 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
There are a few more movies coming out before the year's out (The Hobbit? Wreck-It Ralph comes out here on Boxing Day), but I figured we should get the ball rolling. What were your favourite movies of the year? I won't include a poll, because I have no doubt I will miss some obvious choices in only 10 slots.

In any case, from best to worst, here are my impressions of all 2012 releases I saw this year:

1. Chronicle: Despite being a movie about superpowers, it was easily the most empathetic and human product in the found footage genre. Only some anachronisms in the final stretch hold it back. I absolutely loved the rest.

2. Looper: Well-balanced and tightly thought out. Going against the odds of the ridiculous concept, it had great characters, sublime action and a few unique twists and tweaks.

3. The Lorax:Had you taken the Lorax itself out of the equation entirely, it would have been a family classic. I even liked the musical numbers, and I'm a heartless bastard who hates musical numbers.

4. Amazing Spider-Man: That they turned the spoiled story of how a guy's uncle was killed and said guy wished to redeem himself through vigilante work into something surprisingly new and heartfelt was good. With great acting, miles above the previous Spidey efforts, even if the Lizard was appalingly designed.

5. The Dark Knight Rises: Pick at the plot long enough and it'll crumble away, but the pure scale offered and the unique, segmented pacing made this treat enough to satisfy, albeit not revolutionise.

6. The Avengers: Not much to say about this one. It's too much of a popcorn film for my tastes, and Tony Stark made too many jokes, but the chemistry is insane and exactly what most were hoping for.

7. The Raid: Redemption: This is my “indie” pick, and from what I've heard of Dredd, you could just as easily put that in this spot. No-frills, all energy and viscera, but needed to be longer even with its directionless fury.

8. Skyfall: As I said a day or two ago, they tried to make M and Bond actual characters, succeeded with one and blatantly failed with the other, and the film suffers overall. Still some great setpieces, however.

9. John Carter: The sci-fi design was pretty inspired, but other than that, it's nothing you haven't seen before and in better movies.

10. Battleship: It had a few small treats to lift it above the average “everything blows up” film, but otherwise as good as you could reasonably expect.

11. Kath and Kimderella: Unremarkable. The main drive of the film was out of left field, but even that wasn't outlandish or anything.

12. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days: This franchise has run its course. The ambiguity of the protagonist hasn't left much room anymore, even if this film hag the biggest “OHHHHHH” moment of the year.

13. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2: That final fight scene went a long way towards redeeming the rest of the franchise, but even that cannot hide the fact that the chemistry has never gotten any better. But hey, at least it's over now.

14. The Dictator: One good joke. In the last two minutes of the film. The rest if trite and worn out, a far cry from Baron Cohen's MO.

15. Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker: As if Dragon Age 2 wasn't bad enough.

16. Resident Evil: Retribution: Even as a brainless action film, it fails on a lot of levels. Completely monotonous.

17. Lawless: It might have a setting, but this “film” failed to have characters, a story or a structure.

18. Prometheus: Such a badly written piece of ****. The characters and writing were terrible beyond words, beyond imagination, and even the sci-fi design felt dated, so there was no solace to be found in this. Ridley Scott has had a good run, but between this, Robin Hood and American Gangster, there's never been a better time to retire.

So, what do you guys think? What are your best, worst, most disappointing or sexiest films?

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    End of Watch, honorable mentions being Lawless, The Avengers, Cabin In The Woods, and The Dark Knight Rises.

Haven't seen Looper, Argo, or Skyfall yet... all of those look really good too.
  • edited November 2012
    I guess the most disappointing movie I've seen this year was The Hunger Games. It stuck to the book well enough but that PG13 rating didn't help anything. It should have been more gruesome.

But I've only seen 3 movies this year so I'm sure it was far from the worst.
    edited November 2012
    The worst? I'd say Wrong Turn 5 and The Watch, the most disappointing I'd definitely go with Total Recall and maybe Ted.

I forgot to mention The Pact which was a great under-the-radar horror film that came out this year as well. Worth an honorable mention.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited November 2012
    Reading this thread tells me I need to see Looper.
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited November 2012
    If Halo Forward Unto Dawn counts (it's being sold on Blu-ray/DVD, but wasn't in theaters) then it gets my vote for one of the worst. I'm a big fan of the Halo franchise too, but it was very poor. The five parts can be seen on youtube on the channel machinimaprime or something like that.

Edit: for some reason I can't find episodes 3-5 on youtube. I have no clue what happened to them, but I saw them when they came out.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    Well, there's another I've watched that was released in Britain this year, but was made in 2011 in Mexico. That would be Top Cat: The Movie.

If you even know what Hanah Barbara cartoon this is, then let me warn you that this is a complete disrespect to it. It gets my vote for worst of the year out of all I've watched.

But that's if it counts. It probably doesn't, though.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    I have not seen a single movie, Album or game been released this year which blew my mind.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited November 2012
    Worst movie, though I haven't seen it, is probably Piranha 3DD.
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4932950 said:
    I have not seen a single movie, Album or game been released this year which blew my mind.

Rock Band Blitz?
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4932950 said:

Thats good. A blown mind does you no good.
    edited November 2012
    jibjqrkl;4932950 said:

I'm pretty sure you know this band, so you didn't find In Somniphobia by Sigh mind blowing? What about the part in The Transfiguration Fear, where it goes from a keyboard solo, to a saxophone solo, to a guitar solo so seamlessly.
  • edited November 2012
    They made a Top Cat movie? Like live action or cartoon?
    edited November 2012
    Did anyone else see Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn like me? What did people who saw it think of it? I thought the characters and story were very poor. Some of the special effects were good, but they could never save it from pretty much every other aspect being poor.

Edit: it looks like they took down episodes 3-5 because they want people to pay money for the movie. At least they let you see the first two episodes on youtube to see how it is before possibly buying it. I wouldn't pay money for it, even as a collectible.
    edited November 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4932958 said:
    They made a Top Cat movie? Like live action or cartoon?

Flash animation.

God-awful flash animation at that. Here's the trailer. The actual dub is not as witty, either.
  • McTenzingtonMcTenzington Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    Haven't seen a lot of films this year, but a top 5:

1. The Grey
    2. Bernie
    3. Holy Motors
    4. The Master
    5. Seven Psychopaths

Worst:

1. The Hunger Games
    2. Dark Knight Rises
    3. Argo
    edited November 2012
    McTenzington;4933068 said:

Worst:

2. Dark Knight Rises
    3. Argo

Wow. WOW. WoW. WOw. wOW.
    edited November 2012

2. Dark Knight Rises

I still don't get the hate for this movie. What's so bad about it? It looks freaking amazing, and my brother, who usually doesn't watch these kinds of movies, told me it was amazing.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    Django Unchained hasn't come out yet so my choice of Skyfall might go to 2nd.
    edited November 2012
    Zero Dark Thirty has a limited release this year but most likely no where near me and same for Hitch**** I think. Dont forget about Les Miserables guys! :P
    edited November 2012

Worst:

1. The Hunger Games
    2. Dark Knight Rises
    3. Argo

You should watch more movies if you think those are the worst that came out this year...

You said so yourself. There have been some flat out horrific movies this year that deserve the worst of the worst title, those certainly don't deserve it.
    edited November 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4933074 said:
    I still don't get the hate for this movie. What's so bad about it? It looks freaking amazing, and my brother, who usually doesn't watch these kinds of movies, told me it was amazing.
    I've heard a lot of people say it was too long/too slow... in other words people with lacking attention spans. If there's not an action scene every 10 minutes or a punchline thrown in every conversation, it's completely boring and uninteresting to some people especially a mainstream movie such as The Dark Knight Rises.
    edited November 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4933112 said:
    I've heard a lot of people say it was too long/too slow... in other words people with lacking attention spans. If there's not an action scene every 10 minutes or a punchline thrown in every conversation, it's completely boring and uninteresting to some people especially a mainstream movie such as The Dark Knight Rises.

If people think DKR is boring I think Twilight would literally kill them.
    edited November 2012
    When a movie is boring my mind goes crazy and I start looking for flaws. I think I'd do good as a continuity checker.
    edited November 2012
    Mega-Tallica;4933112 said:

Oh, so in other words the hate is coming from the crowd that likes the Transformers movies?

Well then in that case I won't pay attention to the hate.
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4933114 said:
    If people think DKR is boring I think Twilight would literally kill them.

lol well I'm in an old enough age group where my friends and such don't even bother with Twilight, I'm about a generation ahead of it luckily.
    edited November 2012
    Oh, also watched Brave this year, but forgot it came out this year.

It takes movie of the year out of what I've seen.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Only saw Looper, Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and Prometheus. But I'm pretty sure my favorite will be The Hobbit. Runner up to Looper.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Haven't really seen that many movies this year, but I really liked The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and Ted. Argo was awesome as well.

Favorite is probably Batman, though. I just really like Nolan's take on Batman, and I'm sad that this was the last one.
    edited November 2012
    I keep meaning to see brave, but with a red haired daughter now I already know I'll be seeing it a million times in my life.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Cubecubed;4933150 said:
    Favorite is probably Batman, though. I just really like Nolan's take on Batman, and I'm sad that this was the last one.

Yeah, I would love to see Nolan's take on Batman and You-Know-Who.