RBN DLC Discussion: 11/27 (PS3 only)

HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
edited December 2012 in The Rock Band Network
Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, there were no Xbox 360 RBN releases on Thursday, November 22. This means two weeks of songs will be released on Thursday, November 29.

Here are the PS3 RBN releases scheduled for Tuesday, 11/27/2012 (North America) and 11/28/2012 (Europe):

The Bunny The Bear – “Lonely” ($1.99), Metal
The Minotaur Project – “77345_018” ($0.99), Prog
The Minotaur Project – “Rampage of Kronos” ($0.99), Metal
SHIROCK – “New Solution” ($1.99), Alternative
SHIROCK – “Still Young” ($1.99), Alternative

Comments

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    well, i know at least 1 PS3'er that's gonna be happy with those minotaur tracks :p
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited November 2012
    Said two weeks of 360 content is shaping up to be really, really good.
  • edited November 2012
    Lowlander2;4933548 said:
    Said two weeks of 360 content is shaping up to be really, really good.

I've bought 4 songs already
  • edited November 2012
    Not all DLC available for PS3, WHY?
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Lachesis, you should really have something for this saved on your clipboard or something
    DRINKY BIG COUNTRY ;4933579 said:
    The Rock Band Network only exists at all because of Microsoft's support and co-operation. It's run through their XNA platform for users and independent gamemakers to create their own games and content. It's something of a minor miracle in licensing that we (I'm a PS3'er as well) get any RBN at all.
    edited November 2012
    Since we briefly discussed this RBN week in last week's thread, it makes sense to duplicate these posts:
    FairwoodStudios;4930965 said:
    Yea, it's very much a similar piano-based anthemic-alt-rock sort of thing. (I'm kinda glad/lucky we guessed the same genre that Coldplay wound up in. Little victories.)

And you can check them here to see if you like them:
    New Solution
    Still Young
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4930969 said:
    Here's a look at the two songs we've got hitting the PS3 next week :

The Minotaur Project - 77345_018 :
    http://youtu.be/3Cbh9-k8mTI

The Minotaur Project - Rampage of Kronos :
    http://youtu.be/YWos2ehx1Ho
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2012
    DRINKY BIG COUNTRY ;4933579 said:

This is a pretty popular question. Most RBN Blog posts have part of the answer at the bottom -

The Rock Band Network was developed upon Microsoft's XNA technology, and all RBN songs have 30-day exclusivity on the Xbox 360. However, select RBN 2.0 songs are submitted to the PS3 by Sony and Harmonix at the rate of 5 songs a week, as determined by factors such as popularity and community interest. To request future songs for the PS3, go to the forum thread here. We're always interested in hearing what songs our PS3 customers would enjoy! - http://www.rockband.com/blog/new-to-rbn-111512

The other part of the answer is that RBN songs are easy on Xbox 360. Releasing an RBN song there requires very little in the way of effort at Harmonix or Microsoft, because of the RBN peer review system and the extensive automated processes. By contrast, every song we submit to PS3 requires the same kind of submissions process as a piece of official DLC. That takes a lot of effort at both Sony and Harmonix.

I do find that some PS3 players react to the size of the two libraries before actually examining the contents of the RBN library available on PS3. In your case (with an assist by rockbandscores.com), it looks like you've played approximately 2% of the RBN PS3 catalog. You may enjoy digging deeper into the RBN PS3 catalog. Your future favorites are waiting!

However, if there are specific songs already released on Xbox 360 that you want to see on PS3, then we definitely want to hear about it. We're always interested in what songs people feel are missing from the PS3 catalog. As indicated above, the place to let us know is http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222673.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited November 2012
    Also, what SheSaidSheSaid said.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    The Minotaur Project are going to be a lot of fun (thanks!), might pick up Lonely on a rainy day even if the vocals on that song annoy me. I'll pass on the SHIROCK tracks.
    edited November 2012
    Seriously TAG, those Minotaur songs are a buck? Do you guys even want to make money? :p Cause I really doubt you'd lose too many sales if those songs were $2. They look pretty awesome.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Love the Minotaur Project and the others sound pretty good as well.
    Full buy this week
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4933774 said:
    Seriously TAG, those Minotaur songs are a buck? Do you guys even want to make money? :p Cause I really doubt you'd lose too many sales if those songs were $2. They look pretty awesome.

Nope we're not trying to make money. Just get as much awesome music into the game for as cheap as possible to the players :D
  • NumskullNumskull Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    For no good reason at all, I continue to be surprised by the number of RBN instrumentals released for the PS3. Are there really that many artists out there who shun lyrics, or do the instrumentals get an extra push because there's less work involved in porting them?
    edited November 2012
    Numskull;4934808 said:
    For no good reason at all, I continue to be surprised by the number of RBN instrumentals released for the PS3. Are there really that many artists out there who shun lyrics, or do the instrumentals get an extra push because there's less work involved in porting them?

You sound perturbed.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Numskull;4934808 said:

In general:

RBN instrumental = stupid hard instruments = popular = high sales = good PS3 porting candidate.
    edited November 2012
    Lowlander2;4934809 said:
    You sound perturbed.

Vocals is my primary position and I much prefer playing with friends to playing alone. I can accept that this puts me in a minority, but that doesn't mean I can't wish for a reduction in the number of instrumentals we get. There's usually at least one every week. The last time we skipped a week and got two batches at once, there were five of them.
    edited November 2012
    FairwoodStudios;4934810 said:
    In general:

RBN instrumental = stupid hard instruments = popular = high sales = good PS3 porting candidate.

Not surprising at all.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Numskull;4934812 said:
    Not surprising at all.

Yea, it sucks but them's the breaks. I've been trying to hunt down more good vocal-driven material lately to try and buck the trend, but it's harder to find than I expected.
  • edited November 2012
    I generally try to stay away from instrumentals on the RBN. I like to sing along to a song while I play it. There are a few exceptions of course. Classical music (including Richard Campbell medleys and Christmas tunes), Yogurt With Sprinkles, and Anamanaguchi (if they ever release anything else).
    edited November 2012
    Vocals is far and away the least played of any of the 'legacy' instruments. And it's not like we're only getting one RBN song with vox a week.
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4934997 said:
    Vocals is far and away the least played of any of the 'legacy' instruments.
    Not if the leaderboards for the new DLC is anything to go by. Vocals is always the second to hit the 1000 individual scores mark, after guitar.
  • edited November 2012
    Vocals seems to be way more popular now than it was during the RB2 era. Drummers seem to be the hardest to find online now. I guess kits are breaking and are unable to be replaced.
    edited November 2012
    Lowlander2;4935318 said:
    Not if the leaderboards for the new DLC is anything to go by. Vocals is always the second to hit the 1000 individual scores mark, after guitar.
    hmxhenry;4559883 said:
    Vocals are far and away the least used instrument in RB

;
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I've actually found that most of my favorite RBN songs are instrumentals, or very close to them. Off the top of my head, I think of "The Battle Of 'Lil Slugger", "Andromeda", and "The Massacre".
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4935326 said:
    ;

That was from early 2011, when RB3 was still relatively new, RBN 2.0 had just kicked off, the sun was shining, I had just started university, , I had money, I hadn't quite discovered Pretty Hate Machine just yet and the Squier wasn't completely a lost prospect.

I don't know what caused vocals to suddenly take over aside from the other instruments just falling into a slump, but it's still behind guitar FWIW.
  • edited November 2012
    You're looking at the date wrong. It was from late 2011. Things didn't look so bad. The DLC was still awesome and mostly plentiful and RB4 still seemed possible.

I don't know if what Henry said then is still true. I'm just going on what I've found playing with randoms online. Guitar is the most likely find and drums are the hardest.
    edited November 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4935351 said:
    RB4 still seemed possible.

Really? I have never thought RB4 would ever happen.

But fair point about the quote being nearly a year old. An updated remark would be nice to have, if we can get one.
  • edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4935359 said:
    Really? I have never thought RB4 would ever happen.

Maybe it was my damn optimism.
    edited November 2012
    I just never really knew why people expected it or even hoped for it. Even when RB3 came out the genre was in a bad, bad place. Games like Rocksmith and Bandfuse don't exactly help. It just never even crossed my mind that it could even be a possibility. I mean reading people's setlists is fun sometimes, and of course I'd pre-order it and get it day 1 if it came, I just have never envisioned a reality when that would actually happen. To me it makes as much sense as developing a new title for sixth-gen consoles. Their day has come and gone.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Drums (at least regular drums) certainly seem to be the least played on RBN songs. There are some songs I'll see weeks after release with 5 or 6 scores on regular, and a few dozen on pro. Don't know if this trend is the same for HMX DLC, since I haven't bought as much recently.