Rock Band 2 Instruments not working

Hi!

My Guitar & Drums are not working for my Rock Band 2 & I am out of warranty, Harmonix website suggested possibly posting here for some help in fixing it myself, or finding someone local to fix it for me, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Would be nice to know on which console you are, and more details on what's happening.
  • MomOf2Girls71MomOf2Girls71 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I'm sorry, I am using it on Wii.

When turned on, the lights flash but the instruments do not respond. We have changed batteries more than once.

Thanks.
    edited November 2012
    You have the dongles plugged in the wii? Are you sure the update that came with the game were made?
    edited November 2012
    Yes the dongles are plugged in. Not sure what update you are referring to, or how we would do this, we don't use internet on our wii.
    edited November 2012
    The first time you boot the game, it asks to do an update for the instruments support (it doesnt say that it's for the instruments, but it actually is), I'm not sure on how to verify that the update has indeed been done. You say that the lights on the guitar and the drums are flashing, flashing as it would be trying to connect to the dongle?

I think that the instruments works, and the problem is more software than hardware, but obviously, I can't confirm. Try pressing the button on the dongle and the button on the instrument to pair them.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I thought the wii uses the wii remote and there are no dongles?
    edited November 2012
    The guitar hero instruments are detected as classic controllers, they are plugged in the wiimote. The rock band instrument uses dongles, like on the PS3.
    edited December 2012
    Yes, the drums & Guitar both have dongles. We have tried pressing the reset buttom as well as the Home button at the same time as the button on the dongle, the 4 lights just continue to flash, all at the same time, at a rather fast speed. It almsot seems as though it is the dongles, do these go bad, if so, can they be replaced?
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Couple of clarifications:

The Wii version of Rock Band (all editions) were never updated in any way because the Wii console itself does not lend itself well to games being updated, so that's not your problem.

A few more questions to try and rule out some possible causes:

(a) How are your dongles connected to the Wii? Looking at my Wii unit, there are 2 USB ports in the back of the unit, and I don't recall offhand if the Wii version of Rock Band 2 came with dongles that allowed daisy-chaining (connecting dongles to one another) or whether it came with a USB hub.

First thing to try is one dongle at a time (disconnect the other while testing), and switch it from one USB port to another. It defies belief that both would malfunction at the same time (dongles are usually the last thing that will go bad on an instrument, since they consume very little power and have no moving parts).

(b) Another thing to try is find a friend who owns a Wii and test the dongles on their system. It could be your console itself that is having some sort of internal issue with the USB ports.

Be aware that if you try this and find out that the Wii hardware itself is the problem, your headaches may not end if you've purchased any downloadable content for Rock Band (or any other game, including games on the Virtual Console) on your Wii. Your purchases are tied to the hardware, and only Nintendo is able to move purchases - which usually involves you buying a new console and paying for shipping for both units to Nintendo for a "repair" service where they'll move your purchases over.

There's also one last option, which is purchasing the new Wii U console and using the Migration Tool to move your content from the Wii to the Wii U, but this won't fix anything if the dongles or the instruments themselves are the issue.
    edited December 2012
    Icemage;4954299 said:
    The Wii version of Rock Band (all editions) were never updated in any way because the Wii console itself does not lend itself well to games being updated, so that's not your problem.

The game isn't updated, but the first time you boot any RB games it will update the system to install the necessery IOS files for the instruments to work, like DLLs on windows. If this process was halted, or never happened, this is where the problem is. If the console was homebrewed, this is most likely it, however, I am probably not permitted to dicuss the solution on here if this is the case.
    edited December 2012
    Alternity;4954302 said:
    The game isn't updated, but the first time you boot any RB games it will update the system to install the necessery IOS files for the instruments to work, like DLLs on windows. If this process was halted, or never happened, this is where the problem is. If the console was homebrewed, this is most likely it, however, I am probably not permitted to dicuss the solution on here if this is the case.
    Are you talking about firmware? That's true of every game, not just Rock Band games, and would only happen once in any case, and automatically - and if it wasn't done the game wouldn't start at all. I have never heard of a Wii firmware upgrade that broke any controllers (there was one Beta update on the Xbox 360 dashboard that did break musical instruments, but that was on the 360 last year, not the Wii).
    edited December 2012
    Icemage;4954310 said:
    Are you talking about firmware? That's true of every game, not just Rock Band games, and would only happen once in any case, and automatically - and if it wasn't done the game wouldn't start at all. I have never heard of a Wii firmware upgrade that broke any controllers (there was one Beta update on the Xbox 360 dashboard that did break musical instruments, but that was on the 360 last year, not the Wii).

Trust me, I know alot about the wii's file system. If the update wasn't made, the game would still boot, but th RB instruments wouldn't work. It's not a firmware version, it's really only the IOS files for the instrument that is installed.
    edited January 2013
    Hi Icemage,

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. We have tried all of your suggestions to no avail. I should mention that we also have the keyboard for Rock BAnd 3, which uses a dongle, & it connects & works just fine. It was bought only a year ago. I am leary of buying something new since this one seemed to crap out just after the 2 year warranty was up. to me, was not worth the $200 I paid for the game, on top of the $250 for the Wii itself! I like you, am having a hard time grasping the idea that both instruments quit at the same time. If you have other suggestions, please throw them my way, as my kids LOVE this game & I know this time of year, it would get a lot of use!

Thanks so much again!
    edited January 2013
    If the RB3 keyboard is working but the other instruments aren't, then it's definitely either the dongles or the instruments themselves, and not the Wii hardware.

The only way to know for sure is to find someone else who has working instruments of the same type (Wii guitar and drums) and test both the dongles and the instrument controllers with their working dongles and instruments. This, however, may be very difficult unless you know someone who has the game on the Wii. Even if the problem is the dongles, finding replacements for those is nigh on impossible without a lot of trawling through craglist/ebay.

In any case, the "simplest" (I use quotes here because it may not be so simple) solution would be to replace the controllers and dongles, but because the hardware itself has been out of production for a couple of years, you may have a lot of difficulty finding replacements, let alone replacements at a reasonable price.
  • magdalene55magdalene55 Unsigned
    edited June 2013
    I have the same problem with guitar and drums but I am running an xbox