customizable characters and instrument

rdblackb1983rdblackb1983 Unsigned
edited November 2012 in Rock Band
Can you customize your character's clothes and guitars in RB3 like you could in RB2?
Thanks!

Comments

• Mr-TyKMr-TyK Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    To a degree, yes.
    Some of the gear you have to earn but there are options.
    You can create additional characters in your profile as well. You can assign them as stand ins for your band.
    To have others play with you in person, they would need their own profile to appear as their character.
    Hope that helps.
  • rdblackb1983rdblackb1983 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    in RB2 you could spell words on certain T-shirts and put symbols and other graphics on several of the guitars. I really loved this feature in RB2 and need to make sure it's available in RB3 before I try and buy. Will I be satisfied if I buy RB3?
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited November 2012
    I have always thought RB3 fell short of the standard RB2 in aesthetics overall, and have complained about it since release. As such, I am not exactly neutral on this topic, so take my words with a grain of salt.

If you were attached to your characters, it will be a little disappointing to see them in RB3. RB3 looks pretty nice at first, especially in still shots, but you will start to notice that the stage show overall is more repetitive and less energetic, and also notice little goofs here and there (I thought I made him skinny, why is he so buff? And why is a cotton shirt so shiny?)

It's not all bad, though. You can finally put art on the back of the t-shirt, and the faces look better overall, if more samey, because it's so much easier to make a busted/goofy face than a nice face.

There is one huge reason to get RB3: being able to play all the DLC released since November 2010. New songs are only compatible with RB3 and Blitz (the latter a controller-only game).
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 2012
    rdblackb1983;4934479 said:
    in RB2 you could spell words on certain T-shirts and put symbols and other graphics on several of the guitars. I really loved this feature in RB2 and need to make sure it's available in RB3 before I try and buy. Will I be satisfied if I buy RB3?

you can still do this, but unfortunately other people online won't see it. This was probably done because some people made some not so child friendly things with that.
    (IMO it should just be able to be turned off with a parental filter or something, but thats not gonna be added anymore now)

basically you can do almost everything you could in RB1 and 2, but it's not as good unfortunately. and pretty much all the outfits are locked behind goals instead of spending in-game money on them. so you need to be able to play with every instrument if you want to unlock everything
  • Mr-TyKMr-TyK Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I'll admit I had lots of fun with my RB2 characters and band. I do miss the poster maker and custom merch being available.

RB3 is really nice with keyboard parts and lots of DLC. Its all about the music really.
    In look, RB3 somewhat less cartoonish and a bit darker in mood but still fun.
  • abynormalabynormal Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    From the main menu: customize > create character. Have fun! When working on the face be sure to look at it from every angle possible. The lighting engine can have some strange effects when they're on stage. After they're created, customize > customize character to edit their appearance. The facial and body features are still locked so if you mess up you'll have to start over!
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4934528 said:
    I have always thought RB3 fell short of the standard RB2 in aesthetics overall, and have complained about it since release. As such, I am not exactly neutral on this topic, so take my words with a grain of salt.

These are not the RPG you are looking for.
    edited November 2012
    peterock2007;4935492 said:
    These are not the RPG you are looking for.
    RPGs aren't the only games that good aesthetics can improve.
    edited November 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4935497 said:
    RPGs aren't the only games that good aesthetics can improve.

Absolutely correct, but for every game there reaches a good enough point. Where the need to improve non gameplay effects is outweighed by the cost. RB3 more than reaches that point of equity.

Take any one your point of your complaints, compare the plus/minus of changing that with cost of changing it and see how many are still relevant.

I’m surprised that you aren’t one of those people that need to dress in costume irl in order to enjoy playing this game. Or are you?
    edited November 2012
    peterock2007;4935500 said:
    Absolutely correct, but for every game there reaches a good enough point. Where the need to improve non gameplay effects is outweighed by the cost. RB3 more than reaches that point of equity.
    RB3's instrument (not vocals) engines are pretty much good enough and can do with just minor tweaks, leaving more developer time for the little things.

It appears that your "good enough" for aesthetics is quite a bit lower than mine, and that's okay.

By the way, if you're really that un-interested in the characters, why did you click on a thread about them? If it's really just to mess with me, that I can understand, because it seems to be your thing.
    Take any one your point of your complaints, compare the plus/minus of changing that with cost of changing it and see how many are still relevant.
    Actually, lots of my complaints tend to have quick fixes. That's why I complain.

I stopped complaining about the lack of a tour because that would be too much work for too little benefit. A venue select would do what I want just fine.

The animations/characters are the one area that I complain about where the quick fix (blacking out the background) would be less than satisfactory.
    I’m surprised that you aren’t one of those people that need to dress in costume irl in order to enjoy playing this game. Or are you?
    I'm just too lazy and cheap.
    edited November 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4935590 said:
    RB3's instrument (not vocals) engines are pretty much good enough and can do with just minor tweaks, leaving more developer time for the little things.

It appears that your "good enough" for aesthetics is quite a bit lower than mine, and that's okay.
    I really meant for the majority of rb3 gamers, not my own personal opinion. The Recordettes aren't a huge population are they? I don't ever remember your threads having too many harmony parts.
    By the way, if you're really that un-interested in the characters, why did you click on a thread about them? If it's really just to mess with me, that I can understand, because it seems to be your thing.
    I totally wouldn't do that... Right?

Actually, lots of my complaints tend to have quick fixes. That's why I complain.
    Your fixes might be "quick" but that's unrealistic to say unless you've been inside the code looking at all their modules. $50,000 isn't cheap not to mention the man hours you pay the developers to implement and test your quick fixes.
    edited November 2012
    peterock2007;4935629 said:
    I really meant for the majority of rb3 gamers, not my own personal opinion. The Recordettes aren't a huge population are they? I don't ever remember your threads having too many harmony parts.
    Even if RB3 looks good enough, I think many players would prefer RB2's stage show over RB3's.

...I see what you did there with that last line.
    I totally wouldn't do that... Right?
    I remember you popping up in the last animation thread (which was also started by a non-Recordette).

I'm a train wreck and you can't help but look.
    Your fixes might be "quick" but that's unrealistic to say unless you've been inside the code looking at all their modules. $50,000 isn't cheap not to mention the man hours you pay the developers to implement and test your quick fixes.
    I gave up hope for a patch a long time ago, and have held out for RB4, with the new console generation being my hope.
    edited November 2012
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4935658 said:
    Even if RB3 looks good enough, I think many players would prefer RB2's stage show over RB3's.
    I'm not arguing that but it's not like HMX had unlimited budget and could do anything they wanted. Especially since they parted ways almost so soon after release. I can't help but to imagine they were under alot of pressure to get out.
    ...I see what you did there with that last line.
    Not to laugh too loudly at my own joke, I thoughly enjoyed that.
    I remember you popping up in the last animation thread (which was also started by a non-Recordette).

I'm a train wreck and you can't help but look.
    I've said before that I do get amusement from disagreeing with you.
    I gave up hope for a patch a long time ago, and have held out for RB4, with the new console generation being my hope.

My biggest frutration with you is when RB3 first came out and the first animation thread came up. I told you and a couple others that you might as well get used to it, because with HMX being independent you're never going to see a patch for most of these complaints, and if there ever is a RB4 its forever away. Multiple years of complaining is too much.