Rock Band.com

jonesdk9jonesdk9 Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
I miss the old .com .you can make posters of your characters.harmonix needs to bring all that stuff back.stop changing things-and just add.

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 2012
    Now I'm sad that I never got to see it during the RB2 era...
  • edited November 2012
    I just remember that when it changed everyone *****ed about it for a week. The biggest complaint was the default skull avatars. In RB2 era if you didn't have an avatar then you just didn't have an avatar.

The skulls also used to be bigger.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Yes. Stop changing things. Change is always bad. We should always fear change. This is known as sarcasm, btw.
  • edited November 2012
    People are always scared of change. It's natural.

As for to posters and stuff, that stuff was pulled almost 2 years ago. It wasn't removed because we're mean, it was removed because it wasn't a feature a lot of people used. It was always intended to be a niche feature for the hardcore fans, but that kind of thing can't last forever, and it can't grow without adding more time and resources, and we can't add more time and resources if there aren't enough users to support it. So that's basically it in a nutshell.

Don't expect any big sweeping changes in RockBand.com any time soon, especially not feature additions.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    I think I joined the forums right when that first went away. I often wonder what it was like.
  • edited November 2012
    Why exactly was the photo creater pulled? I get not supporting the irl merch but was the photo creater a lot of work to maintain?
    edited November 2012
    Heh? That's not what we're talking about?
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    I really do miss the photo creator.. It was a nice feature to have, and i do want some pictures of my current RB3 band. Don't have good enough cameras to take a picture at the tv at the moment :(

Did you really have to get rid of it just because not many people used it? c'mon, this is not like the score duels or tugs of war.

Now, i don't mean to be rude at all, i really just miss that feature... and i would be forever grateful if it came back, i know i'm not the only one
  • edited November 2012
    dinoman;4934946 said:
    Did you really have to get rid of it just because not many people used it? c'mon, this is not like the score duels or tugs of war.

Sadly, yes. It took a surprising amount of Web resources to maintain, and community time dealing with support issues. We weren't creating all of this stuff in the office, which meant we were paying a 3rd party that was fabricating these posters and stickers and keychains and stuff. People used it, but as interest declined, the amount of time and effort going into maintaining it outweighed the benefits of keeping it up.

At the time (around RB3 launch), there were much more important Web priorities, such as account linking, increased social support, blog / community integration for podcasts and newsletters, Battles, improved profiles, improved Song searches, improved leaderboard functionality, improved Support portal, etc. It was a low priority then, and it's an even lower priority now. I definitely believe that you're not the only one that would be interested in seeing it come back, but even if there was sufficient demand from the community (which there isn't) we don't have the Web dev resources to build something like that out again. Agreed that it was a cool thing for the hardcore community, but its time in the sun has passed.
    edited November 2012
    hmxhenry;4934951 said:
    we were paying a 3rd party that was fabricating these posters and stickers and keychains and stuff.

wuuuuuuuuuuuut?
  • edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4934958 said:
    wuuuuuuuuuuuut?

I don't understand if this is an incredulous "wut" or a confused "wut".

If the OP is talking about the old RockBand.com feature where users could create real world items featuring their bands (which I think they are), those posters and bumper stickers and tshirts were not made in house at HMX by starving street urchins or Pope. Like the Band Mate statuettes, those things were outsourced and fulfilled by a third party, a third party that receives money for goods and services.

Does that make all of the sense now?
    edited November 2012
    hmxhenry;4934966 said:
    I don't understand if this is an incredulous "wut" or a confused "wut".
    The latter.
    hmxhenry;4934966 said:
    If the OP is talking about the old RockBand.com feature where users could create real world items featuring their bands (which I think they are), those posters and bumper stickers and tshirts
    Dude, seriously?!?

That must have been awesome =(
    hmxhenry;4934966 said:
    Like the Band Mate statuettes
    Freaking seriously? Aww man.

All I was referring to was the photo creator. I joined right as that went away. I would have loved to have been around for all of this =\
  • CJHobbesCJHobbes Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    hmxhenry;4934951 said:
    [..] I definitely believe that you're not the only one that would be interested in seeing it come back,[..]
    I think I was one of the first to create a thread about that feature being pulled, I'll have to look it up; but I've missed that feature since Day 1 of the changeover. While it would be great to have back, I completely understand why it isn't being currently supported.
    SheSaidSheSaid;4934969 said:
    Dude, seriously?!?

That must have been awesome =(

Freaking seriously? Aww man.

All I was referring to was the photo creator. I joined right as that went away. I would have loved to have been around for all of this =\
    Oh yes, it was completely awesome. You could choose between ~50 poses for your characters, shoot just one or all 4 in an image, choose backgrounds, effects, etc. It was actually pretty robust for an online image creator that had a niche market. The opportunity to create real world merchandise was just the icing on the cake (though I never bought anything, no offense but the Bandmates weren't good enough quality ((and rightly so, based on manufacturing of dynamic figures, same with WoW's statues)) for me to purchase any). I do wish I had bought a bumper sticker or poster. *sighs*

I think I still have the images around here somewhere...
  • edited November 2012
    Yep, awesome stuff and I miss it too but as Hank said, it is all history.

Bandmate Blast From The Past

The years have flown by.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    I always wanted to buy one of the Bandmate figures but when the website did it I was a poor High School student... Now I am a poor College student so I still would not be able to afford one
    edited November 2012
    Don't worry. You'll be a poor something-or-other in the "real world" before too long.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I remember the old RockBand.com, I was able to buy a shirt around that time but being a poor high school student then and now I'm a senior in high school and not as poor (but still pretty poor, this is my job's dead season right now).
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    i had the money to buy stuff when it existed... unfortunately, they didn't support international shipping
  • edited November 2012
    The Merch Creator (which is, I believe, the technical name we had to differentiate it from the Photo Creator) definitely hat its moments. The idea of creating real world swag for your in game bands is still an idea that I love, and seeing people at events wearing shirts with their band names or posting pics of posters on their wall same as they would for real bands, that was definitely cool. But it was a bit costly and a bit impractical and a bit difficult to manage since it wasn't something we controlled directly. It had a good run and I'm glad that people remember it fondly.

We don't have much of that swag left in house, but this poster of Stephen & The Colberts that he signed as a thank you for releasing Charlene is a pretty good example of what the finished product looked like. We did a similar poster for an RB spot on the Today Show (I think they were called the Day Tones) with a bad ass looking Al Roker on drums, but sadly I fear it has been lost to the sands of time.

The Band Mates were actually run through a different service, but it ran alongside the Merch Creator and people generally think of them as being part of the same thing. They were definitely the ultimate in high end RB super fan merch, running around $75 a pop for real world mini sculptures of their in game avatars. Here is a look at one of the Band Mates that I still have on my desk that has managed to survive 3 moves.

There are still a few dozen Band Mates in the office, mostly on desks and hiding on shelves. We have some cool demo pieces as well, including 12" tall variants that stand watch by the front entrance, as well as a few frankensteined variants where bored artists have sculpted a pile of broken bodies into one monstrosity. Also, if you look closely in the RB Board Game video, you can see us using tiny 2" variants of the Band Mates that never made it into production.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    hmxhenry;4935017 said:
    They were definitely the ultimate in high end RB super fan merch, running around $75 a pop for real world mini sculptures of their in game avatars. Here is a look at one of the Band Mates that I still have on my desk that has managed to survive 3 moves.
    It's gutting seeing that. I would have spent a lot of money on these, but I joined when the website changed. It looks sooooo cool :(
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 2012
    Band Mates are something that I want to have now.
  • cwilburcwilbur Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I really miss the character creator. It's been a long time since I made my avatar over there and my current RB3 character looks way more like me IRL.

I bought a tshirt of one of my RB2 bands. Don't wear it much since it's one of a kind and the band picture on the front is a solid wall of paint that makes me sweat when I wear it.

I love that SheSaid's message is in the background of Aaron's photo of his Duke of Gravity bandmate.
    edited November 2012
    I wish I could get the Duke of Gravity to play an instrument that looked like that in RB3. Then I wouldn't have kicked him out of the band :p But no, he had to bring his stoopid brain guitar.
  • edited November 2012
    I soooooo want a little Duke of Gravity playing the keys.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Y'know, it could be worse. RockBand.com could end up looking like the webiste of this other music game.
  • GameMaster439GameMaster439 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    FujiSkunk;4935123 said:
    Y'know, it could be worse. RockBand.com could end up looking like the webiste of this other music game.

Nice one there. I always checked their forums to see how active it was. Answer: Not very at all.
  • NekketsuNekketsu Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    The photo creator was actually the main reason I signed up here instead of just lurking. People who saved their old pictures onto their profile should still have them in their photo collection here. I still have mine saved here at least. Too bad the app exploded permanently shortly before I finalized the look of my RB2 band. :(
    Having it return was one of my hopes when RB3 came out, but alas. Oh well.

If only the Xbox360 let you take in-game screenshots..
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Just now looked at HMXHenry's pics...
    hmxhenry;4935017 said:
    You know, it's the little touches that make those things so awesome, like how the guitar isn't plugged in and doesn't have a guitar strap. :D
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2012
    Nekketsu;4935289 said:
    People who saved their old pictures onto their profile should still have them in their photo collection here.

But they are. At least mine are. I didn't save them and upload them; they were already there by default.
  • Mr-TyKMr-TyK Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Wow, do I miss those features now that you all remind me.

I had just about as much fun with that as playing RB2. I never did get a chance to get all the merch I wanted. I did get a poster of "my band" but I misplaced some time ago. LoopyChew, thanks for pointing out the photos are still there! I found the one I had made in to the poster.
    I really enjoyed my "Alter Ego" character and "my girls" in the band. My wife and I messed with making the perfect poster for hours with both our alter egos and characters to represent our two pups at the time. Great fun!
    I wish I had gotten some bumper stickers as well

I had plans on getting bandmates for the young niece and nephew but the change happened before their birthday, so we got them RB3 and a keyboard instead.
    Haven't thought about it in a long time.

Sorry it had to go.