Songs with unfolding stories

horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
edited November 2012 in History of Rock
I love, and I mean LOVE, songs that tell stories. Not songs that imply a story, but songs that tell them. Like Space Oddity. Or Spill The Wine. Or even Trapped In The Closet. Yes, I love Trapped In The Closet. It's the modern Gilgamesh. What are some other songs that tell a story?

Comments

• FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited November 2012
    I recommend Weird Al's excellent parody of "Trapped in the Closet," called "Trapped in the Drive-Thru."

Some other favorite story songs are Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," the Traveling Wilburys' "Tweeter and the Monkey Man," and several tracks off of the Alan Parsons Project's Tales of Mystery and Imagination, all based on poems by Edgar Allen Poe, including "The Tell-Tale Heart" and "The Cask of Amontillado."

You could also make a case for songs like the Eagles' "Hotel California" and Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street," and of course concept albums that tell a story across the entire track list, like Pink Floyd's The Wall and Planet P Project's Pink World.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    There's a story... Somewhere within the Coheed and Cambria tracks. Just its more than a little hard to follow. Also I like certain stories, but Bad Company's Shooting Star is one of my most disliked songs. On the other hand if we got more David Bowie concept album stuff I'd be in absolute heaven especially Man Who Sold the World era.
  • edited November 2012
    2112 and Paradise by the Dashboard Light.
  • BohemianMattBohemianMatt Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Don McLean's "American Pie," and Anti-Flag's "Spaz's House Destruction Party" are two polar opposites but my favorite storytelling songs.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2012
    They Might Be Giants is great at telling stories through songs - specifically, "Fingertips," "They'll Need A Crane," "Ana Ng," "She's An Angel, "and "Hideaway Folk Family."

Also: Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle."
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    The entire Scenes From a Memory album by Dream Theater is awesome, Albuquerque by Weird Al, and Deathbed by Relient K, if you don't mind preachy Christian stuff.
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    Oh wait, what's that terrible Christmas song about the poor kid and a pair of shoes?
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited November 2012
    horsepastriesa;4936365 said:
    Oh wait, what's that terrible Christmas song about the poor kid and a pair of shoes?
    Best left unmentioned.