Turning off failed note sound effects in Rock Band 3

davidcarltondavidcarlton Unsigned
edited December 2012 in Rock Band
Is there any way to turn off the failed note sound effects in Rock Band 3? Or, better yet, to have the song sound completely normal no matter how I play, with notes continuing? I like to play the Squier unmuted, but the negative feedback the game gives me because of all the false strums the game thinks I'm doing is really frustrating; turning down the crowd noise helps a lot, but I haven't found a way to prevent the game from giving me the annoying failed note sound, or from killing all of the sustained notes.

Comments

• SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited November 2012
    There's an option under Modifiers (I think) labeled "miss sounds". Uncheck that to overstrum all you want.
  • whypick1whypick1 Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Start -> Options -> Modifiers -> Miss Sounds

Can't do anything about having your instrument track play whether or not you hit the note though.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 2012
    Since two others answered the first part...

No, there's no way to get the notes to continue playing when you hit a note. The whole point of the feature is to simulate the sound of flubbing a note in a live performance.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    SirDavidTLynch;4936088 said:
    There's an option under Modifiers (I think) labeled "miss sounds". Uncheck that to overstrum all you want.

and don't forget to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME you boot up the game.... since the setting doesn't get saved between sessions :mad:
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited November 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4936090 said:
    Since two others answered the first part...

No, there's no way to get the notes to continue playing when you hit a note. The whole point of the feature is to simulate the sound of flubbing a note in a live performance.

Play on easy if you want to hear the entire song, get really good if you want to master it without missed sounds on Expert.
  • davidcarltondavidcarlton Unsigned
    edited December 2012
    Oh, awesome, thanks! I didn't realize that there were more options when you scrolled down.

(The fact that Rocksmith doesn't penalize you for playing wrong notes is probably my favorite surprise about that game - I wouldn't have expected that to make such a big difference, but it really does.)
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    If you just want to listen to the songs normally, play it with a microphone only. It will play the song with no miss sounds. Or at least I believe it doesn't. It's too bad you are required to press a button to continue to the next track otherwise, you could basically make a playlist of your songs to listen to through Rock Band 3.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    I wish rock band had a modifier that lets the track keep playing without interruption that way it's less distracting when you are playing online with someone who isn't good. I find it hard on some songs when there is no drum track playing because the person playing is missing all the notes.
  • JackStrapsJackStraps Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    nuttzo31;4937063 said:
    I wish rock band had a modifier that lets the track keep playing without interruption that way it's less distracting when you are playing online with someone who isn't good. I find it hard on some songs when there is no drum track playing because the person playing is missing all the notes.
    Same here, i tried to play with a beginner at the guitar and he was playing one note out of 5 and it was difficult to follow the tune with another instrument without hearing the guitar melody
    edited December 2012
    rockman05;4937062 said:
    If you just want to listen to the songs normally, play it with a microphone only. It will play the song with no miss sounds. Or at least I believe it doesn't. It's too bad you are required to press a button to continue to the next track otherwise, you could basically make a playlist of your songs to listen to through Rock Band 3.

Alternatively go to Practice mode, select a song, then in the practice section menu just stay on "Full Song" and it'll just play the song.
    edited December 2012
    LiveHomeVideo;4937157 said:
    Alternatively go to Practice mode, select a song, then in the practice section menu just stay on "Full Song" and it'll just play the song.

Oh, does that not do the failed note stuff? If so, then that's what I should be doing.
  • rockman05rockman05 Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    davidcarlton;4937569 said:
    Oh, does that not do the failed note stuff? If so, then that's what I should be doing.

Haven't tested it myself on missed sounds for practice mode but that aside, it would require more steps just to get a song playing since you have to set it to "full song". My method you can even make a set list of songs except that you still have to press the continue button at the end of each song.

Maybe use a controller with auto press button or something. ha!
    edited December 2012
    Practice mode turns out not to be an improvement for me, unfortunately - I still want to see the guitar notes, and you still get the failed note consequences even in practice mode, it turns out. But turning off the failed note sound effect makes things a lot better - it would be nice to hear the sustained notes, but that's less important. Thanks for the help!
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    If you have the missed note option turned off on your console and you go into Quickplay online, does that mean no one will hear the missed note sounds from you? Or does it only work that way if you are the leader of the Quickplay session?
  • AlternityAlternity Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    It affects only your side, and all instruments, I think.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Oh ok. So it is better to have Missed Strum note turned on, so you can hear what everyone else is hearing. I thought it would be like No-Fail Mode where if the leader has it turned on, it's turned on for everyone joining the leader's group.
    edited December 2012
    davidcarlton;4938421 said:
    Practice mode turns out not to be an improvement for me, unfortunately - I still want to see the guitar notes, and you still get the failed note consequences even in practice mode, it turns out. But turning off the failed note sound effect makes things a lot better - it would be nice to hear the sustained notes, but that's less important. Thanks for the help!

Oh, my suggestion for just simply listening to the song was to keep the practice selection screen on "Full Song" as the song plays out. You aren't playing it, but you can hear the whole song this way.