Rock Band in 2013 and beyond

Foos036Foos036 Unsigned
edited April 2013 in Rock Band
With 2013 only a month away, I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anything posted on here about what may happen with Rock Band after the calendar year ends.

Five straight years of DLC is extremely impressive, and I'm proud to say that I've spent ridiculous amounts of money on the franchise since day 1. That being said, I'm curious to see what people on here think about DLC continuing over the next year.

I know a lot of people (on here, and everywhere else) have proclaimed Rock Band to be dead multiple times, such as when GH died, when Harmonix became independent, when they put 1,000+ songs on sale, when Blitz came out (no instruments wat?!) and when Green Day songs came out as DLC (which I found to be the most hilarious reason of all to proclaim the end is nigh,) but they've kept on pushing out new content, which is damn impressive. So what do you guys think about 2013? Do they go on for another year, or is the end upon us?

I -- and a lot of others as well -- really don't expect a new core RB title to come out until the next generation hits. As far as DLC, I personally feel that they'll keep going, especially if they're still making a profit, which they appear to be doing.

Your thoughts, please.

Comments

• CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I predict in 2013, that Harmonix will announce the 4th, and final game in the Rock Band series, to be released in Spring 2014. And that the fans will get to choose what song they want to see in the game.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited November 2012
    CanuckGamer;4936093 said:
    And that the fans will get to choose what song they want to see in the game.

ha
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited November 2012
    Foos036;4936091 said:
    Your thoughts, please.

Much preferable to "Discuss." Thank you =)

Basically it's gonna continue like this until it doesn't anymore. I don't see HMX making any big changes. As long as RB DLC is even close to profitable, it'll continue. They've got the DC hog to ride high on (until they don't anymore, but that day's not in sight either).
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited November 2012
    Is it pretty much universally agreed upon that the world will see a fourth DC game before a fourth RB game?

I know it's true, but it hurts my heart.

Even though I totally love Dance Central, that game is nifty! :D
  • CanuckGamerCanuckGamer Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    This reminds me, how about a special edition of Rock Band 3 for the Wii U? Where you can either play with either the instruments, or with the new tablet controller's touch pad. You can use your fingers on there to play drums, or guitar, bass, or key parts. And all the DLC from the Wii days will be compatible.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited November 2012
    I think we'll see Rock Band DLC support drop for about a year (maybe not completely non-existent, but less than what we have now), from Summer 2013 to Winter 2014, until HMX decides to release another Rock Band game for the next gen systems around the Holiday 2014 season.
  • hiddenzombie013hiddenzombie013 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I personally think that Harmonix will stop putting out DLC around the end of 2013, but then again, a year ago I thought they would end it in 2012. Regardless, I hope they keep it around as long as humanly possible (without breaking their bank). I also believe that we likely won't see any new RB title in 2013, but if we do, there's two possible options I can see:

1. A Rock Band Blitz sequel. If RB did well for HMX, I can totally see this happening around next summer. 25 new songs (don't think there'd be more), plus new power-ups, a "career" mode of sorts (or at least more in-game implementation of RB World), an updated RB World app, and some kind of online Vs. mode, with power-ups that can mess up your opponent. I really hope this comes out.

2. Rock Band 4: Final Encore. Ok, maybe not with that cheesy title, but if they do RB4, it will probably be established that it is the last one. They could go the Rocksmith route and allow you to use any guitar, but I'm guessing it would probably be an updated version of their current system. In fact, I think the game would mainly be an update of RB3, but still really damn good (like RB2 was for RB1). I think HMX would do a great job at getting the last of the most-requested features from fans, and give the series quite the send-off. Hopefully, playlists (different from setlists, more like an iTunes playlist), jukebox mode (will never happen), and being able to change the tierings of songs to your desire (also will never happen)would be included. I do think the likelihood of this game is less than RBB2 though.

Regardless, my main hope is that Harmonix gives fans a clear end in sight, rather than just cut it off for good one day. It has to end someday, but I would much rather have time to cherish each and very last DLC announcement and hype surrounding it. I've been here since the first GH, and still buy DLC a much as I can. No matter what though, it's been an incredible ride.
    edited November 2012
    TheStuddz;4936105 said:
    Is it pretty much universally agreed upon that the world will see a fourth DC game before a fourth RB game?

Well yes, but only because there's never ever ever (x Taylor Swift) going to be a fourth RB game. At the very least, not on the current gen, but I don't see why they'd do it for the eighth gen either.
  • crash13crash13 Jiminy jillickers!
    edited November 2012
    I expect to see Rock Band 4 as a next gen tittle with dlc till then.
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4936123 said:
    Well yes, but only because there's never ever ever (x Taylor Swift) going to be a fourth RB game. At the very least, not on the current gen, but I don't see why they'd do it for the eighth gen either.

A Rock Band game for the launch of next gen console would do well because getting in at the launch is good for sales which is why Ubisoft releases a bunch of games for every single console launch
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    edited November 2012
    In a surprise move, HMX will announce in 2013 that it is abandoning rhythm games and focusing on games that provide educational value. Their first title will provide vocational training and be called, "Retooling Carburetors Central".
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4936133 said:
    A Rock Band game for the launch of next gen console would do well

What do you base that on?
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4936143 said:

Recognizable title to pick up for when you purchase a new system.
    edited November 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4936143 said:

The second part of my post.

People look for games to play on next gen consoles. Games that come out at launch do better than if they wouldnt have came out at launch. A game like Rock Band with support(assuming DLC migration and all that jazz) for over 4500 oh so songs would be a good choice for someone looking for something to play on their launch console.
  • 88sBand88sBand Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    I won't even bother with consoles if RB4 doesn't happen.
    edited November 2012
    www1221;4936152 said:
    The second part of my post.
    Doesn't work that way for a game like RB. It doesn't cost $59.99 to get into RB for the first time. It costs quite a bit more.
    www1221;4936152 said:
    People look for games to play on next gen consoles. Games that come out at launch do better than if they wouldnt have came out at launch. A game like Rock Band with support(assuming DLC migration and all that jazz) for over 4500 oh so songs would be a good choice for someone looking for something to play on their launch console.

/assumes all DLC and exports will make it to the 8th gen. Even if it does, who's gonna make the instruments that's not making them now?

This is a lovely little Pollyanna idea, but it'd never work in reality.
  • hiddenzombie013hiddenzombie013 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    I'd say there's about an 80% chance that RB4 won't get made, and about 99.99% chance it won't get made for a next-gen system. It would alienate all of those with RB instruments but no new console, and everyone who wants RB4 for the new system, but can't play it because there's no new instruments beng made.
    edited November 2012
    There is the slight possibility that our controllers now will work on next gen consoles.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    Personally, I try not to be too pessimistic about the future of RB. However, I, like many others here, have come to doubt the likelihood of another core RB game being made. Ever, actually. I certainly hope otherwise and I do think that it's a doable thing; just not likely. I tend to think that DLC will continue for this generation of console - perhaps right to the end - but I don't see it being extended to the next generation, even if it IS possible for DLC to transfer. I don't think anything is set in stone, though (except for, you know, things that are -literally- set in stone).
  • TommyWalker1237TommyWalker1237 Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    Man, this thread is kinda depressing.
    I tend to agree with the general sentiment here. Seems unlikely DLC will continue forever, but in a perfect world it will.

I, too, have been on board since GH1 days. Ah, the memories. I'll keep buying DLC, as long as they keep releasing fun, approachable party songs and awesome rock songs for the solo players.
  • CyurusCyurus Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    I would guess they will continue producing one of the best-selling and successful franchises out there. I would think there will be several band packs next year. I would like to see a game focusing on a genre again, maybe blues or goth. They seem pretty committed to keeping rock band 3 alive, yet it is out of print. So I would like to know why... And the answer to this would reveal much.

A downloadable free interface would be nice. Possibly free-to-play when you pay for twenty songs... maybe wishful thinking. But music is going in 100 directions at once now, and it would give more choice to the players. I imagine if this was delayed it could explain some things.

I also love the characters in RB, and would not mind extra character-building DLC packs. If I'm going to make this a wish list.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2012
    Pitch-Black;4936262 said:
    Personally, I try not to be too pessimistic about the future of RB. However, I, like many others here, have come to doubt the likelihood of another core RB game being made. Ever, actually. I certainly hope otherwise and I do think that it's a doable thing; just not likely. I tend to think that DLC will continue for this generation of console - perhaps right to the end - but I don't see it being extended to the next generation, even if it IS possible for DLC to transfer. I don't think anything is set in stone, though (except for, you know, things that are -literally- set in stone).

This.

I know I'm with an authoring group BUT don't think I have any insider knowledge into HMX plans concerning RB.

However looking at the trend of DLC sales (RBN wise) since the launch of RBN to now, sales and player/purchase base is way down. I'd love LOVE for a RB4 to be made. Not only for the game, but for the fact that instruments are getting non existent. As more instruments break, and there's no stock to replace them less people will be able to play even if they wanted to.

There's this terrible catch 22 that's slowly spiraling to the end of the RB franchise. If there isn't enough of a player base to make creating a new instrument focused game (IE Rock Band 4), then financially it doesn't make sense to take the risk of putting out said game. The Catch-22 is without said new game and instruments the user base will continue to dwindle as equipment fails.

I've come to accept that there will be no Rock Band 4, that the series will stay on current gen consoles, and Harmonix will continue to put out DLC until the user base has dwindled to the point where it's no longer financially viable to do so.

MAYBE there's a sudden resurgence in the franchise (but without new instruments for new players to play on I don't see how that can happen), and Harmonix is able to make a RB4 for next gen consoles. Never say never, but realistically I don't see that happening from where we're at right now.

BUT even if Harmonix announces the end of the franchise in the next year it's been a hell of a ride, and they accomplished a feat (continuous weekly DLC for over 5+ years) that I doubt will ever be repeated in the industry.

AND I've still got thousands of tracks to keep playing long after the DLC stops, and even as much as I have there are more than 1000 tracks I don't own.

So even if Rock Band stops today, I've still got plenty of content to keep me busy for years to come...

Now if only my damn instruments hold together :P

I think in three years we'll all be singing just to keep playing for lack of instruments >____>
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 2012
    I think DLC support will continue until we have all of Dave Grohl's discography :D
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4936332 said:

BUT even if Harmonix announces the end of the franchise in the next year it's been a hell of a ride, and they accomplished a feat (continuous weekly DLC for over 5+ years) that I doubt will ever be repeated in the industry.

AND I've still got thousands of tracks to keep playing long after the DLC stops, and even as much as I have there are more than 1000 tracks I don't own.

So even if Rock Band stops today, I've still got plenty of content to keep me busy for years to come...

Now if only my damn instruments hold together :P

I think in three years we'll all be singing just to keep playing for lack of instruments >____>

This^^^

I am almost certain that rock band 3 is the last in the series and i view the (currently) 1036 songs and drums,keys,guitar,mic as somewhat of a lifetime investment that will keep me entertained for years to come but the lack of instruments available now and in the future means i may have to stock up on another 5 button guitar or 2 but eventually my instruments will go to rock heaven and there will no longer be any to purchase.

Some part of me holds out hope for harmonix to release another game whether it be disc based or downloadable but the lack of interest from the general public as well as lack of instruments has basically killed any hope of another rock band game.

There is no reason for me to think there would be any revival of the music game genre on the next gen consoles which will be dominated by first person shooters but dance central may have a future and will likely be harmonix future on the next gen consoles unless they come up with something new.

All good things will come to an end but let's hope the end for rock band is still somewhere far in the distance.
  • RetrovertigoRetrovertigo Unsigned
    edited November 2012
    As someone who desperately needs a new guitar, and can't find one in the U.K (liitle point buying a second hand one) the game is pretty much dead to me, and all the DLC is now a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

I even contacted Madcatz here and they basically said they aren't getting any more guitars in :/ What a shame.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited November 2012
    I think the only way RB4 is going to be made is if Sony & Microsoft can agree to allow all DLC to transfer to the new system AND if existing controllers will work on the next gens. That way they can both supply the new consoles and take advantage of the new stuff without alienating old players. And without a RB4 on the next gen, I personally won't upgrade. I got my 360 to play RB/GH because they weren't available on the PC, and since I only do music and race games, well, if there's no music games that ties me to a console, I can spend that money on keeping my PC fit for games.
  • nuttzo31nuttzo31 Opening Act
    edited November 2012
    hakko504;4936359 said:
    I think the only way RB4 is going to be made is if Sony & Microsoft can agree to allow all DLC to transfer to the new system AND if existing controllers will work on the next gens. That way they can both supply the new consoles and take advantage of the new stuff without alienating old players. And without a RB4 on the next gen, I personally won't upgrade. I got my 360 to play RB/GH because they weren't available on the PC, and since I only do music and race games, well, if there's no music games that ties me to a console, I can spend that money on keeping my PC fit for games.

But even if sony and microsoft allow the dlc to transfer there will be hardly any peripherals availabe by the time the next gen consoles come around and how many of the people playing now are going to want to purchase a new console just to play rock band 4?
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    CanuckGamer;4936108 said:
    This reminds me, how about a special edition of Rock Band 3 for the Wii U? Where you can either play with either the instruments, or with the new tablet controller's touch pad. You can use your fingers on there to play drums, or guitar, bass, or key parts. And all the DLC from the Wii days will be compatible.
    The DLC shouldn't be a huge problem (exception: Green Day export, which seems to be impossible to download right now on Wii U), but the tablet controller's touch interface can't be used for playing anything like Rock Band. It's single-touch, not multi-touch like the screen on a PSVita/smartphone/normal tablet, so doing something as basic as playing a chord on a "virtual keyboard" would be impossible.

EDIT: You could of course use the buttons, but then you're back to playing Rock Band Blitz... which actually does deserve a Wii U port.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited November 2012
    Since RB3 turned me completely off the series, it'd be a sad note to end it on. There's potential to improve the game so much in various ways it'd be depressing to not see them take that opportunity.

Though it's a way I wouldn't play personally... they COULD potentially add the hand held controller as an instrument/mode to play in the game for reasons of lack of instruments being hard to find. Have it a downloadable title too, just a core game...maybe with room for expansions. Another thing I was surprised RB3 didn't take advantage of. Ways to expand the existing game.

They've got another year or two before consoles are in peoples hands. They could potentially do an expansion for RB3. I know they won't. But adding more goals, more tour aspect/ways to earn fans (mainly a reason to keep on trucking and coming back for more).
  • gamrrpolgamrrpol Road Warrior
    edited November 2012
    CanuckGamer;4936108 said:

Uh....I see no chance of this happening. I don't think HMX will invest in any of the new generation of systems. The fanbase for the franchise is so small at this point it would be almost impossible to justify the investment in time / money necessary to create a new iteration.