Kotaku: Guitar Hero 7 Was a Disaster

toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
edited December 2012 in Less Rokk More Talk
http://kotaku.com/5965684/guitar-hero-7-was-going-to-have-six+string-guitars-no-drums-no-singing-was-cancelled-in-2011
The new console game was going to be solely guitar-based, according to my source, who was thoroughly unimpressed with the development of the game. GH7 would have no drumming. No singing. Both of those elements had been added to the series after the series' original developers, Harmonix, began creating their own Rock Band games for MTV. But a troubled development cycle would see GH7 pare back to the series' roots: playing along to music with a video game controller shaped like a guitar
Guitar Hero 7's guitar would be its most obvious deviation from its predecessors. It was going to change the gameplay of the series. "This amazing thing was a six stringed guitar," the source told me, sarcastically. "Not a real guitar, or even full six-stringed. It had the classic Guitar Hero buttons on the neck with one extra new button, and six strings where the strum bar used to be. YAY! Now they have an extra button and five more strum bars!"
The morphing venue concept was too unwieldy and the game began to collapse under the weight of the developers' "big ambitions". "They started designing locations," my source said. "A tomb, the back of a moving truck. The locations were going to match the songs. Each song would have it's own music video. It was a nice idea, and some of the concepts looked great. Then they realized they didn't have any songs. Everything was being built around 'Turn The Page - Metallica,' and 'A Thing Called Love - The Darkness.' They'd change the venues and animations as the songs came in.
"When the songs started coming in, a great sense of dread came about everyone with an active brain," the source continued. "The game had all of the worst hits from the 1990's. They realized that, with our lack of budget and time, they couldn't get quality music so they bought bargain basement music like 'Closing time' and 'Sex and Candy.' There were some songs in there that had been used at least three times in the GH franchises before.

Comments

• toymachineSHtoymachineSH Headliner
    edited December 2012
    GH had it as DLC two years ago this Friday
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    MagicMurderBag7;4939191 said:
    If Sex and Candy and Closing Time are what they consider a crappy setlist I bet it would have been decent.

I have to disagree with that... both of those songs are crappy
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited December 2012
    We need more 90s hits, damnit.
  • MegashotMegashot Opening Act
    edited December 2012
    Ah, just another one last bashing of Guitar Hero by blog sites like Joystiq and Kotaku. Everyone knew GH7 was cancelled. Old news is old. I have no idea why this even made the headlines, other than to slap it in Activision's face that the series failed.

GH died because of the internet cynicism regarding music games. That and Activision wanting to release 5 GH games in one year, and marketed each as a standalone game. They should have been downloadable expansion packs for GH World Tour/GH5.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 2012
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Megashot;4939235 said:
    Ah, just another one last bashing of Guitar Hero by blog sites like Joystiq and Kotaku. Everyone knew GH7 was cancelled. Old news is old. I have no idea why this even made the headlines, other than to slap it in Activision's face that the series failed.

It's not saying "HEY GUYS REMEMBER GUITAR HERO THAT WAS LAME LOL." Instead, it's giving a look at what could've happened and why it ended. None of this info was ever released to the public, so I think it's pretty interesting how things might've played out.

With that said, it sounds like Guitar Hero would've taken the Power Gig route instead of the Rock Band one. Ouch.
  • MunnchyMunnchy Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I used to love GH but I was kinda relieved when they said it was being stopped. It wasn't going so well.... Kinda wish they'd have released turn the page sooner though. I know the original is in GHM but I really liked their cover
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited December 2012
    I would have flipped my s*** had this been released. It'd be like Powergig, but without the very few songs that made me really want to at least rent the game (namely Crack the Skye and Layla).
  • horsepastriesahorsepastriesa Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    I feel that if in 2009 they just released GH5 and DJ Hero, they could've kept the series going. If they just released all the songs from GH:M, GH:VH, GH:SH, and BH as DLC (and just never made GH:OT:MH), they would've had a greater longevity
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited December 2012
    horsepastriesa;4939255 said:
    With that said, it sounds like Guitar Hero would've taken the Power Gig route instead of the Rock Band one. Ouch.
    Yeah, the six string / six button guitar sounds reminiscent of Power Gig's SixString, except more useless.

The venue transformations sounded interesting, but of course Power Gig did that.
  • OsagaRockHeroOsagaRockHero Still Disappointed
    edited December 2012
    I think the venue transformations were more like this.
  • dog037dog037 This Many Days Since Last Ban:
    edited December 2012
    I want Closing Time as DLC.
  • GandWuserGandWuser Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    I find it kind of sad that what was once this huge thing could have gone to what was described in the article. Thank goodness it never saw the light of day.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited December 2012
    GH2 was the last great GH. GHWoR is the only good post 2 GH
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    edited December 2012
    I have not enjoyed any Guitar Hero game after 3
  • TylerFGTylerFG Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Meh, I never really even play GH that much anymore (Thank you Phase Shift! RB is still good tho.) but I would've still switched to RB even if this did happen or not. I'm actually kind of greatful that this didn't happen, although I kinda wish there were more details about the setlist...
  • MegaIronDragonDethMegaIronDragonDeth Post Ratio > 3 a Day
    edited December 2012
    www1221;4939388 said:
    GH2 was the last great GH. GHWoR is the only good post 2 GH

GH 6 was the last great GH. I'd rank them like this:

GH 3 - Great
    GH: 6 - Great
    GH: M - Great
    GH 2 - Great
    GH: SH - Very Good
    GH 4 - Very Good
    GH - Very Good
    GH: E: Rt80's - Good
    GH: VH - Good
    GH 5 - Decent
    GH: A - Decent
    BH - I'm Indifferent to it
  • DeferredGalaxy3DeferredGalaxy3 Rising Star
    edited December 2012
    Guitar Hero 7: We're not even trying

or

Guitar Hero 7: Let's take everything we know about GH and just throw all the good ideas away, and replace them with a crappy one. That'll get our fans back for sure!
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited December 2012
    Had Guitar Hero 7 actually released, it almost assuredly would've been a steaming mess of potatoes
  • Lowlander2Lowlander2 FaIling Star
    edited December 2012
    That guitar just sounds like the worst idea ever. It's too complex to be a fun toy, but not realistic enough to be a simulation in any respect. The Mustang sounds better than that.
  • www1221www1221 StackOverflowError
    edited December 2012
    MegaIronDragonDeth;4939526 said:
    GH 6 was the last great GH. I'd rank them like this:

GH 3 - Great
    GH: 6 - Great
    GH: M - Great
    GH 2 - Great
    GH: SH - Very Good
    GH 4 - Very Good
    GH - Very Good
    GH: E: Rt80's - Good
    GH: VH - Good
    GH 5 - Decent
    GH: A - Decent
    BH - I'm Indifferent to it

Calling anything on the WT engine great is completely false. WT itself was probably the worst GH game. I stand by my statement 100%
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2012
    www1221;4939674 said:
    Calling anything on the WT engine great is completely false. WT itself was probably the worst GH game. I stand by my statement 100%

The WT engine itself was fine, and needs to be distinguished from the interface design.

But yes, WT was the worst of the ones I've played, and turned me off the buying any other GH game after.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited December 2012
    LoopyChew;4939681 said:
    The WT engine itself was fine
    No. Attempting to sing in WT was like trying to clip your toenails with a feral wolf
    LoopyChew;4939681 said:
    But yes, WT was the worst of the ones I've played, and turned me off the buying any other GH game after.

I actually did end up renting Smash Hits afterwards, but I am with you in saying WT was the last one I purchased (I ended up winning Band Hero and Van Halen later in a contest, which I still haven't played yet?)

Some parts of Smash Hits were great (the sixth bass note was an amazing addition and made me actually want to play the instrument, unlike in Rock Band where there's only a small handful of songs I ever feel like playing on bass), and some parts of Smash Hits were horrendous (that whole touch slider thing was beyond stupid when you could just tap notes. It took any semblance of challenge out of Hot for Teacher and TTFAF)
  • Hogan2000Hogan2000 Banned
    edited December 2012
    Closing time a bad song? Where do these people come up with these allegations bruther?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited December 2012
    HeyRiles;4939687 said:
    No. Attempting to sing in WT was like trying to clip your toenails with a feral wolf

I'll acknowledge that I don't think I ever really sang in WT, but anyone who doesn't know how to clip toenails with a feral wolf really needs to get out from time to time.
    edited December 2012
    You guys haven't lived till you try clipping your toenails with a lion. Totally different ball park.

But yeah, WT vocal engine sucked. I hated it. 5's was good, 6's was good. WT was trash.
  • SheSaidSheSaidSheSaidSheSaid Washed Up
    edited December 2012
    I must be the only person here who never once played any GH game.
    edited December 2012
    SheSaidSheSaid;4939724 said:
    I must be the only person here who never once played any GH game.

Not even the Harmonix one's? I think you're missing out on a couple of them. 2,3,5 and Metallica were pretty good (might go as far as to say great)... The others, not so my much imo
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited December 2012
    Personally, I thought that only II, III, 5, and Warriors of Rock were great. Pretty much anything else, especially the games running the World Tour engine, was worth skipping over.

On the topic of the article, I would have loved to see those dynamic venues. Every else sounds like a step in the wrong direction.
    edited December 2012
    ZosoBaron;4939733 said:
    Personally, I thought that only II, III, 5, and Warriors of Rock were great. Pretty much anything else, especially the games running the World Tour engine, was worth skipping over.

On the topic of the article, I would have loved to see those dynamic venues. Every else sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

WoR was, to me, WT re-painted and a new set list. It wasn't all that. Kinda disappointed by it. The set list was ok, uprising was a major plus point, but at the time, RB3's set list was miles better